The Inactive Skyrocket Projects Thread

Search This thread

TheCybertronian

Oct 17, 2013
This thread is dedicated for the skyrockets no longer being used for service. The purpose of this is to see what kind of life we can give this phone other than keeping it in a drawer. as of now this does not have any original development but ideas and hopefully we will get some developments with this. please feel free to share your ideas, links and screenshots of things you may be doing with your device if it's inactive.

1. XBMC

Whether you are wanting to use the device around the house or on the tv xbmc is an awesome solution for your media needs. I have a media server in my house with dvd .iso's, music, and games all being delivered to my networked devices so one cool way to access the media is xbmc. for those of you who don't know xbmc is xbox media center it was originated for the original xbox for those who moded. It has evolved into one of the best open source multi-platform media solutions around.

I downloaded the app from here personally I'm using 13 RC1 gotham the app itself seems to be downloading as a .txt so you need to rename it to .apk before installing. once installed launch the app and any media on the device will be detected any media you have on your home network can be set up to access it by browsing to the source. The app will play most popular formats and will play .iso videos directly. If anyone runs stock firmware I'd like some input on if you can use mhl with xbmc as well as a bt mouse and keyboard giving you a decent tv experience on the cheap.

Screenshot_2014-05-03-15-11-12.jpg

2. Child Friendly device (WIP)

For me this is going to be a proof of concept more than an actual thing. My son is 4 years old and sometimes to entertain him in public settings or if he's been good we let him play games on one of our phones for a while. this obviously has some issues since he's an evil genius and likes to tinker. I'll be using nova launcher prime for this use case. First add any apps you wish to allow the child to use to your homescreen, delete the app launcher button and hide the notification bar (set gestures as needed). make sure you hide any apps you don't want them using from the app drawer, also make sure you have play set up to ask for your password every time, alot of the free apps have links to other apps which they try and buy (trust me my son pulled it off on the wife's iphone). The pics are just a quick mock up of what you can do to handle most of the little things kids try to do. i had two finger swipe up for app drawer and down for notifications hide anything i don't want him using and I have my password set so he can't buy anything without me.

Screenshot_2014-05-03-16-11-40.png Screenshot_2014-05-03-16-12-21.png

Last edited:
Reactions: twobats1 and vincom

vincom

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
im fimiliar w/xbmc , openelec, xbmcbuntu etc. but i never tried the android version, which one did u try, the arm or x86.
btw on firefox they both dl as an apk file

Reactions: t1mb0b3r

TheCybertronian

Oct 17, 2013
I was using chrome So that may be why, arm is the one you need for the rocket.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1BadWolf

Aug 12, 2012
Nowhere, Louisiana
I use mine as an MP3 player/GPS. I removed all telephone/SMS/MMS related apps from vincom's superlite AOKP and get 5-6 days on a charge with 3.5-4 hours screen on time, and with GPS and Bluetooth always on. I didn't rename libril.so like you suggested but it doesn't seem to search for a signal nor does the status bar have that black triangle you get when you don't have a signal. I've been running it like this for about a month. @TheCybertronian, I think this thread is a good idea. This phone still rocks even when you don't use it as a phone anymore. :thumbup: Now I'm wondering what else I might be able to do with it...

TheCybertronian

Oct 17, 2013
@1BadWolf I was never a fan of the rockets audio quality so I used my evo 4g for mp3 but I will do a write up for it in the next few days.

Reactions: 1BadWolf

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
My plan is to build a mount for it and put in my car semi-permanently as a digital dash using Torque and a BT OBD-II adapter, and navigation using CoPilot. I also want to try using a mini BT keyboard/mouse to control it, so that could get interesting.

TheCybertronian

Oct 17, 2013
@rpr69 if you do id like to see you do a step by step with materials used and pictures, think you can pull that off?

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
@rpr69 if you do id like to see you do a step by step with materials used and pictures, think you can pull that off?

Can I? Of course. Will I? I'll do my best. I'm still missing a few parts, but I'll probably start looking at it this weekend. There will be some software components as well, I'll try and list them.

kirbee213

Aug 28, 2009
Kingsland, GA
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
No, it's not great but installing King Beatz helped it out a lot.

I have tried installing KingBeatz (current version, test version and 2 older versions) from http://goo.gl/C83XrX (xda link just shorter). I can't seem to find it in my app drawer or in Apollo's settings. Can you give a play by play for your install method (maybe with flashable zips)? I see the Beatz app as a system app when using "System App uninstaller" from the Play Store.

I removed Apollo and DSP Manager to see if that helped, no dice. Maybe because I'm on an Avatar 4.3 rom?

1BadWolf

Aug 12, 2012
Nowhere, Louisiana
I have tried installing KingBeatz (current version, test version and 2 older versions) from http://goo.gl/C83XrX (xda link just shorter). I can't seem to find it in my app drawer or in Apollo's settings. Can you give a play by play for your install method (maybe with flashable zips)? I see the Beatz app as a system app when using "System App uninstaller" from the Play Store.

I removed Apollo and DSP Manager to see if that helped, no dice. Maybe because I'm on an Avatar 4.3 rom?

I just flashed the zip posted in the thread that you linked. The app that it installed is called Beatz and is similar to DSP manager but with a few changes. You'll need to have one of the MP3 players listed in the op of the King Beatz thread, though because the zip file doesn't install a separate player.

TheCybertronian

Oct 17, 2013
I realize I'm not breaking the mold here, but I've always kind of thought that I'd use it in conjunction with a IP Webcam App to serve as a security camera or possibly baby monitor if we end up with another baby. In combination with DDNS it can be used remotely and cost next to nothing to maintain.

Do it provide instructions and pics and I can add it I'm still thinking of creative things.

Do it provide instructions and pics and I can add it I'm still thinking of creative things.

If I get time I'll try to throw together some screenshots and walk-throughs but it's really pretty simple. The app I've used is here , it's easy enough for anyone to use and can be viewed on a browser. If you get on your router and forward the port you choose (8080 by default) to your phone's IP you can view remotely. It even has a dedicated mode, which I've not played with but is what planted the seed to begin with.

vincom

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
its pretty easy
1st find your phones ip address
from phone open ip webcam> start server
pc browser "put phones ip address here w/out quotes":8080
webcam browser window>video>browser or which ever method works for you
you can record, take snapshots etc

Last edited:

twobats1

Dec 8, 2012
Moto G6 Play
Google Pixel 4a
Just found this thread - good idea. Sometimes I use the SR as a backup with Magic Jack while I'm fixing whatever I was trying to do with the new one (SGS3)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bobgodd

Jan 26, 2009
Realized that my Skyrocket had been sitting in a drawer for almost two years now and I want to make good use of it. This is exactly the type of thread that I was looking for when I came back to this forum. Any other ideas floating around out there??

bproulx

Jan 5, 2012
Ajax
Google Pixel 3 XL
Well..for those who like to play around with stuff, this phone has all the required hardware for packet injection and WiFi monitor mode. Using the bcmon app you can enable and disable monitor mode on the WiFi chip.. Cool for penetration testing and general fun. Also I was able to get Kali Linux running and on-screen viewable using linuxdeploy app and vncviewer.. Runs pretty decent. Also I agree the audio on the skyrocket is awful. I may check that kingbeatz thing out.

Sent from my HTC Vivid 4G using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nice note for those at home. If you rename libril.so it kills the no sim warning and stops the cell radios. So for unused devices it will do wonders for extending battery life.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    its pretty easy
    1st find your phones ip address
    from phone open ip webcam> start server
    pc browser "put phones ip address here w/out quotes":8080
    webcam browser window>video>browser or which ever method works for you
    you can record, take snapshots etc
    This thread is dedicated for the skyrockets no longer being used for service. The purpose of this is to see what kind of life we can give this phone other than keeping it in a drawer. as of now this does not have any original development but ideas and hopefully we will get some developments with this. please feel free to share your ideas, links and screenshots of things you may be doing with your device if it's inactive.

1. XBMC

Whether you are wanting to use the device around the house or on the tv xbmc is an awesome solution for your media needs. I have a media server in my house with dvd .iso's, music, and games all being delivered to my networked devices so one cool way to access the media is xbmc. for those of you who don't know xbmc is xbox media center it was originated for the original xbox for those who moded. It has evolved into one of the best open source multi-platform media solutions around.

I downloaded the app from here personally I'm using 13 RC1 gotham the app itself seems to be downloading as a .txt so you need to rename it to .apk before installing. once installed launch the app and any media on the device will be detected any media you have on your home network can be set up to access it by browsing to the source. The app will play most popular formats and will play .iso videos directly. If anyone runs stock firmware I'd like some input on if you can use mhl with xbmc as well as a bt mouse and keyboard giving you a decent tv experience on the cheap.

Screenshot_2014-05-03-15-11-12.jpg

2. Child Friendly device (WIP)

For me this is going to be a proof of concept more than an actual thing. My son is 4 years old and sometimes to entertain him in public settings or if he's been good we let him play games on one of our phones for a while. this obviously has some issues since he's an evil genius and likes to tinker. I'll be using nova launcher prime for this use case. First add any apps you wish to allow the child to use to your homescreen, delete the app launcher button and hide the notification bar (set gestures as needed). make sure you hide any apps you don't want them using from the app drawer, also make sure you have play set up to ask for your password every time, alot of the free apps have links to other apps which they try and buy (trust me my son pulled it off on the wife's iphone). The pics are just a quick mock up of what you can do to handle most of the little things kids try to do. i had two finger swipe up for app drawer and down for notifications hide anything i don't want him using and I have my password set so he can't buy anything without me.

Screenshot_2014-05-03-16-11-40.png Screenshot_2014-05-03-16-12-21.png

Can I? Of course. Will I? I'll do my best. I'm still missing a few parts, but I'll probably start looking at it this weekend. There will be some software components as well, I'll try and list them.

If I get time I'll try to throw together some screenshots and walk-throughs but it's really pretty simple. The app I've used is here , it's easy enough for anyone to use and can be viewed on a browser. If you get on your router and forward the port you choose (8080 by default) to your phone's IP you can view remotely. It even has a dedicated mode, which I've not played with but is what planted the seed to begin with.