Debian on Wildfire

Search This thread

everend

Sep 18, 2010
Good evening, this is my first post and I'm really happy, I can finally boot a debian on my wildfire, for this I have been guided by manuals for the rest of htc.
As sure a lot of people wanting to play the first thing to do is upload it and explain how it starts, then we can go into details of how and why.
The startup script has a lot to improve and certainly there are some things that are no longer necessary, but I think the first thing is that everyone can enjoy, and after that I dedicate to improve them.
The only thing you need to modify in the phone is to get the root user, I personally used unrevoked for this, besides being very simple, makes available the backup utility nandroid among others, have not tried other methods but I think that any method that can get the root on the adb console, should work
The procedure is very easy and I give you everything you need:
- Compiled binary of busybox
- Start script
- Image file system for ARM Debian Lenny
- ADB download from the official website of android
- Unrevoked 3 there are many guides on how to do, practically only have to download and follow the instructions

Step 1
- Moving files to mobile
-Enter the abd console and create the folder /data/local/bin and /sdcard/debian
-Copy the image file on the sd folder (you can mount as massive storage mode)
-copy Busybox and boodeb.sh to the folder /data/local/bin, for this use
adb push busybox /data/local/bin
adb push bootdeb /data/local/bin
- Set the appropriate permissions, open adb shell and passed to root (in my case just do 'su' and accept the message I apacere on the mobile screen) and run
cd / data / local / bin
chmod 555. / busybox
chmod 555. / bootdeb.sh

Step 2
- Basically enjoy
- In a console as root run
cd /data/local/bin
./Busybox sh bootdeb.sh

and now you are in a debian shell ready to play and break, keep a clean copy of the image file this is the best rollback that I know.

to exit the chroot only do exit, and you can see a restart of the phone, this is to make everything fair, this probably is not necessary because I have noticed that everything was removed successfully, but for now better that way, and later i'll depurare the script to see what can i do.

I'll attach the files and if I have time I put a few catches, excuseme for errors, I will be watching the thread to respond to everything that Ican.

I'll put the filesystem image on mediafire, but is too slow, you can search for debian_aosp21_fisadev zip, it's the same image, i'll put the link when it end, now i go eat

Attachments

• debian-script.zip
    875.9 KB · Views: 336

lagalaga

Oct 11, 2010
Nice hack! Do you have any need for this or did you just do it because it could be done?

everend

Sep 18, 2010
it's ok and running, later wil improve more eficient scripts

with this you can start playing, from this point you can start implementing the rest of guides for debian in G1, ect ... get X11 vnc I will try to bring my own apps server and mail server in my pocket

D

DeletedUser99284

You stole my idea :p. Isn't it funny when two people think of the same thing at once and independently? I've also managed to run Debian on my wildfire. My method is much less sophisticated though. it wouldn't even need adb and soft root is perfectly sufficient.
What tool did you use to generate the image? I used debootstrap. Quite easy IMHO, once you have root and busybox binary. But that comes from Debian user.

As far as I can see, your method is more of a chroot than boot. IMHO, only loading your own kernel into the memory would constitute "booting".

everend

Sep 18, 2010
You stole my idea :p. Isn't it funny when two people think of the same thing at once and independently? I've also managed to run Debian on my wildfire. My method is much less sophisticated though. it wouldn't even need adb and soft root is perfectly sufficient.
What tool did you use to generate the image? I used debootstrap. Quite easy IMHO, once you have root and busybox binary. But that comes from Debian user.

As far as I can see, your method is more of a chroot than boot. IMHO, only loading your own kernel into the memory would constitute "booting".
Well, it's normal, really starting in a chroot, but for me is a good starting point to playing. For me upload or not upload your own kernel is indifferent, with the current android kernel for now is sufficient, since it provides the necessary, currently i'm setting up a new image with debootstrap, initially I used the image posted in one of the G1 tutorial and the busybox binary too, if I find the url of the tutorial I put it.
Really is not necessary to use ADB, you can also do from a terminal on the phone, and as I said any method that allows root think it will be valid, but for me it is much more comfortable working on the pc and get rooted with ureboked.

My next steps are try to provide it with swap, graphical environment, ssh (done), vnc-server, webserver and mail server, refine the scripts and later, when get boring i try other things as dual boot, native filesystems etc ... and of course try to help some people to get running

For now I have enough to play a few days

everend

Sep 18, 2010
as I promised, here is the links to donw my initial image filesystem of debian lenny,

h t t p : / / w w w . me d i a f i r e . c o m / ? l 9 t 6 i 2 0 y z 4 g o 7 5 8
h t t p : / / w w w . m e d i a f i r e . c o m / ? l 9 t 6 i 2 0 y z 4 g o 7 5 8

later i'll post links for new images with more things, only need replace the file and go playing to next level

everend

Sep 18, 2010
some sceenshots

some sceenshots

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,220
  • aptget.jpg
    aptget.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 884
  • getprop.jpg
    getprop.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 821
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 886
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 652

everend

Sep 18, 2010
Now sawping on file is running, i'll upload the next image when finish the vnc setup and improbe some things in the script to sure the ending of chroot enviroment and i'll create one aditional script to make easy the use of terminal emulator on android, this script will do things as alter pach to get /data/local/bin and make some alias, and i'll post how to configure terminal emulator to autorun this.
thanks, i'm playing, i'm happy, let's play

mohammadN

Aug 19, 2010
mashhad
Thanks a lot.

Before I want to do it but I can't to it hack!

Thanks
Keep your nice work!
:x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App

everend

Sep 18, 2010
X11 LXDE runnig!!!!

playing, playing

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:

MenoDev

Aug 19, 2010
tremendous work! Now I just wish I could find a way to port linux or even better Android to a BlackBerry device!

everend

Sep 18, 2010
now, i'll resume this, but i can't test on CM because i use the original firmware + unrebocked on my phone.

anuragkanase

May 27, 2009
Pune

Would you explain your simple method?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good evening, this is my first post and I'm really happy, I can finally boot a debian on my wildfire, for this I have been guided by manuals for the rest of htc.
    As sure a lot of people wanting to play the first thing to do is upload it and explain how it starts, then we can go into details of how and why.
    The startup script has a lot to improve and certainly there are some things that are no longer necessary, but I think the first thing is that everyone can enjoy, and after that I dedicate to improve them.
    The only thing you need to modify in the phone is to get the root user, I personally used unrevoked for this, besides being very simple, makes available the backup utility nandroid among others, have not tried other methods but I think that any method that can get the root on the adb console, should work
    The procedure is very easy and I give you everything you need:
    - Compiled binary of busybox
    - Start script
    - Image file system for ARM Debian Lenny
    - ADB download from the official website of android
    - Unrevoked 3 there are many guides on how to do, practically only have to download and follow the instructions

Step 1
    - Moving files to mobile
    -Enter the abd console and create the folder /data/local/bin and /sdcard/debian
    -Copy the image file on the sd folder (you can mount as massive storage mode)
    -copy Busybox and boodeb.sh to the folder /data/local/bin, for this use
    adb push busybox /data/local/bin
    adb push bootdeb /data/local/bin
    - Set the appropriate permissions, open adb shell and passed to root (in my case just do 'su' and accept the message I apacere on the mobile screen) and run
    cd / data / local / bin
    chmod 555. / busybox
    chmod 555. / bootdeb.sh

Step 2
    - Basically enjoy
    - In a console as root run
    cd /data/local/bin
    ./Busybox sh bootdeb.sh

and now you are in a debian shell ready to play and break, keep a clean copy of the image file this is the best rollback that I know.

to exit the chroot only do exit, and you can see a restart of the phone, this is to make everything fair, this probably is not necessary because I have noticed that everything was removed successfully, but for now better that way, and later i'll depurare the script to see what can i do.

I'll attach the files and if I have time I put a few catches, excuseme for errors, I will be watching the thread to respond to everything that Ican.

I'll put the filesystem image on mediafire, but is too slow, you can search for debian_aosp21_fisadev zip, it's the same image, i'll put the link when it end, now i go eat