[ROM]DL17/Deodexed/Rooted/Busybox/Debinged/Debloated

Search This thread

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Hey folks,

This is a very basic DL17 rom. It has been debloated, debinged, rooted, deodexed, and zipaligned. Does NOT include radio or kernel.

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wdv53fbgl18988i

This should serve as a decent base for folks to build their future roms.

Credit to bubby323 for providing me the DL17 system dump.
credit to Logan302 for testing in IRC.

Patch
------
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/update-template/email_continuum.zip This should fix email issues.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/update-template/social_apps.zip Social apps.

use at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything you do to your device!

Last edited:

CrazyKnight122

Jun 27, 2010
Flashed this, This morning and it works awesome. I also flashed the test kernal you provided a week or so ago and its working great together.

Thanks for this.

CrazyKnight122

Jun 27, 2010
Well just noticed some sort of bug on my phone at least.

When i try to add a facebook account to my ticker it fails and when i click on adding an email to my ticker it locks up my phone and i have to pull my battery. It doesnt even get me to a enter email and password screen.

Honestly to me its not a big deal im not a big facebook or email guy so it doesnt bother me.

Also i was wondering if you knew if any of the themes for the fasinate will work for this? I doubt it just wondering.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Fascinate themes must be ported. I'll look into the facebook and email issue fi possible.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
There are theme porters out there. I'll get some input from others.

nitsuj17

Aug 24, 2010
PA
Any idea how i would go about porting them?

There are theme porters out there. I'll get some input from others.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=932856

the theme porters that are out there...well they most just copy images with the same (or very similar) file names over one another...the post i linked above is my horribly incomplete but still useful attempt at helping people get into themes for the fascinate.

all the tools neccessary are linked in the posts there.

since the fascinate dj05/dl09 update appears very similar to dl17 porting our themes shouldnt be difficult image wise...however there are several xml changes that must be made (especially for black menus)

if anyone is really interested in starting to theme for the continuum look through the above thread and feel free to pm me here with questions or hop into the fascinate irc...im usually in there during the week throughout the day...or others im sure can help too

i had briefly thought about throwing a theme together for the continuum for fun right before dl30 (froyo) leaked...but now i have too much on my plate reporting stuff :eek:

Reactions: adrynalyne

HQRaja

Retired News Writer
Jan 27, 2008
Islamabad
hqraja.com
While posting an Android ROM, can you guys PLEASE mention what Android version it is? Is this Eclair or Froyo? 2.1, 2.2, 2.2.1...which version? DL17 might explain everything to a developer but not to a user who just wants to flash a ROM on his system and needs to know what Android version it is before actually flashing it.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
With all due respect, if you aren't familiar with the naming convention, i.e. don't know what DL17 means, you have no business flashing a rom (until you do). You are gonna end up breaking your device.

2.1Update-1 is the only OS currently available for this device. So.. labeling is a bit redundant right now.

Reactions: HQRaja

HQRaja

Retired News Writer
Jan 27, 2008
Islamabad
hqraja.com
With all due respect, if you aren't familiar with the naming convention, i.e. don't know what DL17 means, you have no business flashing a rom (until you do). You are gonna end up breaking your device.

2.1Update-1 is the only OS currently available for this device. So.. labeling is a bit redundant right now.

Thanks for your response and the clarification and with all due respect, the standard naming convention for Android operating systems is in the format of Android <version number> <dessert codename>. I have been flashing ROMs to several devices before there was any Android and have been doing so on a dozen or so Android devices that I have for the past 6 months as well as guiding others in doing so by writing about it - I write about these for a living.
However, one can't be expected to know all about these non-standard or manufacturer-specific ROM naming conventions for all the Android devices out there and unfortunately, I do not have every single device available to test the ROMs on before I write about them. That is why just a few words by the developer in the OP mentioning what Android version it is make things a lot easier for many of us, plus there are several users who are just starting at the flashing business and it makes things more clear to them as well on what they are getting into. Simply saying that if one doesn't know about these non-standard conventions, one shouldn't be trying these things out is similar to saying if one doesn't know how to swim, one shouldn't be getting into the swimming pool. No offense intended. =)
All that being said, keep up the good work - I really appreciate all the hard work you guys put into what you do. Please don't take my comments as a flame - they are just my views on how things can be improved for a lot of us just by a tiny bit of effort from you guys. =)

Last edited:

nitsuj17

Aug 24, 2010
PA
It is well known that the continuum only has 2.1. Therefore unless there was a 2.2 leak for it (which would be noted) it can be assume by any reasonable person that its a 2.1 rom.

HQRaja

Retired News Writer
Jan 27, 2008
Islamabad
hqraja.com
It is well known that the continuum only has 2.1. Therefore unless there was a 2.2 leak for it (which would be noted) it can be assume by any reasonable person that its a 2.1 rom.
Agreed but 'well known' can be relative =) What's well-known to the developer community for a particular device might not be well-known to many who are coming across the flashing scene for the device in question for the first time, despite their prior experience with other Android devices. And as leaks are not out of the question either, just adding two words about the Android version just makes things a bit more clear for everyone, that's all I meant to say.

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Agreed but 'well known' can be relative =) What's well-known to the developer community for a particular device might not be well-known to many who are coming across the flashing scene for the device in question for the first time, despite their prior experience with other Android devices. And as leaks are not out of the question either, just adding two words about the Android version just makes things a bit more clear for everyone, that's all I meant to say.

That goes back to this:

If you don't know what OS your phone is already running, or how they're doing the naming convention, you are likely going to cause yourself massive problems soon. If someone can't figure out About Phone to compare build versions, they likely can't figure out how to get CWM on their phone to even flash this, so it doesn't matter if the OS version is in the title. Once Froyo drops, then it may be different, but until then, you have a very thin argument at best, regardless of how many ROMs you may or may not have flashed in the past.

HQRaja

Retired News Writer
Jan 27, 2008
Islamabad
hqraja.com
That goes back to this:

If you don't know what OS your phone is already running, or how they're doing the naming convention, you are likely going to cause yourself massive problems soon. If someone can't figure out About Phone to compare build versions, they likely can't figure out how to get CWM on their phone to even flash this, so it doesn't matter if the OS version is in the title. Once Froyo drops, then it may be different, but until then, you have a very thin argument at best, regardless of how many ROMs you may or may not have flashed in the past.
In my experience, not knowing the device-specific naming conventions has never bricked any of the dozens of devices I have flashed, as long as I have known that it is a ROM meant for the particular device in question. However, knowing what Android version the ROM is based on without having to ask only makes sense. This isn't about this one device in particular - the Android scene isn't similar to the iPhone scene where there is just one developer (Apple) rolling out just one OS for all the devices on the market. Android is quite fragmented and I believe simply mentioning the Android version with the ROM regardless of whether any other version is out *yet* or not only makes sense as one never knows when a newer version or a leak might be available.
It is all for the purpose of keeping things as clear to someone at first glance, as possible. Now I do know that no other version but this one has been out for the Continuum but that has been after this discussion. All I am requesting is that the OPs should consider mentioning it with the post so that even a newbie wouldn't have to ask for information as basic as this.
What I fail to see here is why this simple, rather humble request should be seen as such a debatable topic by you guys, when it doesn't even require much effort. Heck, all it requires is typing 'Android' followed by the version number. Is it asking for too much?

Weudel

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 18, 2010
Okay, this is getting really off-topic and degenerating fast. There are plenty of other threads saying what DL17 is so just hopping out to the Android Development forum would have answered your question. That said, Android ROMs do often include the version, but not always.

It's not that big of a deal. Let it go.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts