Losing GPS signal while navigating

Search This thread

TopTomy

Jul 7, 2012
Hi,

I have a strange issue with my Gnex.
I used to run CM11 nightlies on my device, but I noticed that the device loses GPS signal while navigating (using Waze for example) and then it takes like 3-4 more minutes (if at all) to recover the signal.

So to test it, I flashed stock back (rom, recovery, kernel).
but I still have this issue. I cannot navigate 5 minutes straight without losing the GPS signal.
I tried to run GPSFix, but it didn't really help.

Any idea/suggestions what can I do?
thanks guys!

klobkelosh

Jan 25, 2011
Phx, AZ
Hi,

I have a strange issue with my Gnex.
I used to run CM11 nightlies on my device, but I noticed that the device loses GPS signal while navigating (using Waze for example) and then it takes like 3-4 more minutes (if at all) to recover the signal.

So to test it, I flashed stock back (rom, recovery, kernel).
but I still have this issue. I cannot navigate 5 minutes straight without losing the GPS signal.
I tried to run GPSFix, but it didn't really help.

Any idea/suggestions what can I do?
thanks guys!

Is your device activated on a cell network? Gnex by default has assisted gps, so it needs a data connection to establish a fix. What you describe could happen as you leave Wi-Fi, have no signal, and it takes 3-4 minutes to grab the gps ephemeris data from satellites. Just a guess.

If this isn't your problem, have you tried using GPS status and toolbox app to Resetand redownload agps data?

TopTomy

Jul 7, 2012
Is your device activated on a cell network? Gnex by default has assisted gps, so it needs a data connection to establish a fix. What you describe could happen as you leave Wi-Fi, have no signal, and it takes 3-4 minutes to grab the gps ephemeris data from satellites. Just a guess.

If this isn't your problem, have you tried using GPS status and toolbox app to Resetand redownload agps data?

Hey, thx for the reply.
Yes, I have a 3G connection and WIFI turned off.
I tried the toolbox, used it to reset data etc - but it didn't help :(

klobkelosh

Jan 25, 2011
Phx, AZ
Well, the only way to truly know would be to flash a stock image and see if that works. If it doesn't, then you have a hardware problem.

klingklang76

Mar 9, 2012
Give GPS Test a go (search on Play store, I can't put external links here, it's the one from Chartcross Limited). It helped me a lot some time ago when I had your same problem.

Last edited: