[GUIDE] Step by Step ROM Firmware Upgrade & Migration to Froyo 2.2 [JL2] Bell I9000M

Search This thread

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
[GUIDE] Step by Step ROM Firmware Upgrade & Migration to Froyo 2.2 [JL2] Bell I9000M

[WARNING!] Do Not flash Any ROM until you can get the 3 buttons DOWNLOAD MODE working

[CAUTION!] Make sure you know what your doing before you flash any ROM. It is your own fault if you kill your phone.

By following this Guide you Agree with all of the above and consequences that follow

Before you begin...

Make a full backup of everything with Titanium Backup
Make a full backup with CW ROM Manager
Mount your SD card
Manually drag/drop the CW ROM backup and Titanium Backup from the phone to your PC
If you have CoPilot, make sure to snatch the whole copilot directory from the internal SD to your PC... it'll save you the trouble to have to re-configure & re-download the maps later

Now you can Have Fun & Happy Flashing! :)

Part 1

Choose your update method, you can Flash via the scary ODIN, or via the "safe" KIES.
Each will have its own set of conundrums & gotchas.

If ODIN, follow these steps:
  • Download I9000M Froyo 2.2 JL2 Tar ball http://www.multiupload.com/UTFJCCIP5H (thanks to Chainfire)
  • Download Odin http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=832827
  • Open Odin
  • Uncheck everything
  • Click browse for PDA file
  • Select the JL2 tar ball that you downloaded
  • odinworkingjk3.png
  • Boot SGS into the Download Mode
  • plug in the USB cable (pc to phone)
  • Check to make sure it says COM#
  • hit Start
  • Should complete successfully
  • odinworkingjk3complete.png
If successful:
  • boot into Recovery Mode
  • wipe data
  • wipe cache
  • reboot back to normal
If WiFi:
  • Scan for WiFi connections
  • Select your preferred WiFi connection
  • Enter password
Else If APN:
  • Create new APN
  • Save and Exit APN
  • Enable APN
  • Download SuperOneClick from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682
  • run SuperOneClick
  • Select Root
  • Let it reboot
  • Sign in to you google account
  • Download Titanium Backup via Android Market
  • Run Titanium Backup
  • Restore ONLY!! USER APPS/DATA of your Backup from SD or DropBox, DO NOT RESTORE SYSTEM APPS/DATA

If KIES, follow these steps:
  • Install latest version of Kies (If not already installed)
  • Download Kies registry patch http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835628
  • Select your model "BMC"
  • Start KIES
  • It should tell you there is a new firmware available
  • click on firmware update
  • follow KIES on screen instructions
  • Allow it to update

Note #1: If you get and error about KIES Server not available, just retry a few times until you get it, you might even need to wait a couple of hours for it to come back
Note #2: If KIES says something like JK4: "This device's version cannot be upgraded." use the registry patch to make KIES believe you have JG9 or JH2, and it will let you upgrade to JL2

If successful:
  • wipe data
  • wipe cache
  • reboot back to normal
If WiFi:
  • Enter password
Else If APN:
  • Create new APN
  • Save and Exit APN
  • Enable APN
  • run SuperOneClick
  • Select Root
  • Let it reboot
  • Run Titanium Backup
  • Restore ONLY!! USER APPS/DATA of your Backup from SD or DropBox, DO NOT RESTORE SYSTEM APPS/DATA

Part 2

Take advantage of the new features in Froyo 2.2
  • Install Move Apps to SD (many to choose from), as the name implies it lets you swap the installed apps from internal memory to SD card. Titanium Backup also has a buildin feature to mass move Apps 2 SD
  • Install TrafficStats, lets you monitor which App is using the internet

Troubleshooting & Known Bugs

Note 1: Titanium Backup
in newer versions of TB the batch option has been renamed to "Restore missing apps with data"
Then on the next screen you get to choose if you want to restore
user apps + data, or user apps only, or user data only

BUG: Titanium Backup might get stuck when doing loooooooong batch operations in Froyo, if you jump to another App or do something else and then come back, the status on the system tray will remain forever there, and will not end, you'll have to manually Kill it using any task manager app.

Note 2: External SD
in Eclair 2.1 the External SD was on /sdcard/sd/
in Froyo 2.2 the External SD has been moved to /sdcard/external_sd/
you'll have to manually update Apps that uses hard coded paths

Note 3: Restoring CoPilot
Let Titanium Backup finish the 400+ apps restore
Copy the Copilot folder you backed up earlier back to Internal SD from PC or External SD
Run Copilot,
The registration key should already be listed in the box
Hit Ok
It should say Activation Completed Successfully, with the thumbs up
icon14.gif
picture

Note 4: Re-install No LED
After restoring No Led from backup it kept complaining about it needing to be re-installed
Once you re-install it, everything works great as usual.

Note 5: News and Weather Genie Widget does not work on 2.2
It's NOT compatible with Froyo, it keeps force closing everytime you try to run it.
Good thing is, this App was totally optional, it was just a plug in for DeskClock which itself was a plug in for Alarm Clock PlusV2? (the best alarm app for android)

Note 6: Z4Root not showing on market for some people
if you are having trouble with market, the alternative is to download it from the topic
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Thanks to: TriC_101, ragin, Chainfire for JL2 tar ball, RyanZA, TitaniuBackup developer(s), and all the great people in XDA-Developers.com

Last edited:

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks Allgamer... I asked this question yesterday in the Q and A section and now you have made a fantastic list of steps.

Not sure if my question inspired you to do this but THANKS FOR IT!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000M using XDA App

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
Froyo Quick Review

Froyo is Awesome!

After upgrading to 2.2, i found a whole bunch of apps which was no longer necessary, as many of the status/features i wanted already came build in, or allowed other apps which i already had installed before to work even better :D

by unlocking some of its feature that was only accessible on 2.2, but disabled on 2.1

the JK3 came with all the Broadware from Bell, had to uninstall a bunch of them

Overall the phone now runs really really smooth, specially when Installing Apps on Android Market and doing other stuff, it no longer hangs for a few sec until it finishes the install

back in 2.1 the phone was working great, but everytime an App is installed via Market, it will hang abit until it's done installing, and sometimes it gets very annoying when you have like 20 apps updates to install

still need to test the GPS using Google Maps / Track to see if it made any improvement on the accuracy.

no changes to CoPilot, it still work just perfect as usual
icon14.gif

Last edited:

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
@Allgamer,

What doy ou mean exactly by the following?...

If WiFi:
•Scan for WiFi connections
•Select your preferred WiFi connection
•Enter password

Else If APN:
•Create new APN
•Save and Exit APN
•Enable APN

Are these things that get messed up when you flash to JK3 that need to be fixed?

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
no no, those are just steps to go Online to the Internet and access Android Market for the rest of the steps

@Allgamer,

What doy ou mean exactly by the following?...

If WiFi:
•Scan for WiFi connections
•Select your preferred WiFi connection
•Enter password

Else If APN:
•Create new APN
•Save and Exit APN
•Enable APN

Are these things that get messed up when you flash to JK3 that need to be fixed?

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
no no, those are just steps to go Online to the Internet and access Android Market for the rest of the steps

Ahhhhh... Ok... I get it... I think... LOL!!! Can you answer these for me as well?...

I am currently rooted. Do I have to "unroot" before I flash?

Also... I am having trouble with the patcher so... Is all you have to enter under "product code" is BMC? Also... Do you have to switch the spoof from False to True and then before running Kies do you have rto click on "read Registry"?

I installed the patcher and everytime I run it I get two error boxes stating that the file path is not specified and that it has not been set as an object, etc...

Can you help me on these steps and can you tell me... How did YOU flash? ODIN or Kies (Registry Patch)?

Last edited:

Videonut

Nov 21, 2006
Lost@ Android Market
Ahhhhh... Ok... I get it... I think... LOL!!! Can you answer these for me as well?...

I am currently rooted. Do I have to "unroot" before I flash?

Also... I am having trouble with the patcher so... Is all you have to enter under "product code" is BMC? Also... Do you have to switch the spoof from False to True and then before running Kies do you have rto click on "read Registry"?

I installed the patcher and everytime I run it I get two error boxes stating that the file path is not specified and that it has not been set as an object, etc...

Can you help me on these steps and can you tell me... How did YOU flash? ODIN or Kies (Registry Patch)?

No need to unroot
You have to set Spoofer to true, Select BMC and click WRITE registry.
Do you have .net framework installed?

Last edited:

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
No need to unroot
You have to set Spoofer to true, Select BMC and click WRITE registry.
Do you have .net framework installed?

Thanks... Yes... I have .net framework installed. I had 3.5 (SP1) already and I got the errors and then Nodial asked the same question and advised me to install v4. I installed it and I still get the same errors.

I have never used this patcher before so I dont know what the problem is. I DID use the registry hack (manual way) once before to fix my non working 3 button issue but I dont think that is the problem.

After I get the error messages and close their respective boxes, the patcher program opens and allows me to enter stuff, etc but I am scared that if its not done right that I will brick my phone. You say to 'select" BMC but when I get the program to open and click the dropdown box to select my product code it is blank. Should I just enter BMC there myself and try?

Last edited:

mad2x

Nov 28, 2010
I want to try this method, but my phone is not "Rooted". So I can't get titanium backup to work. I still have Eclair 2.1. I haven't touched anything yet. Only thing I tried is to see if both the recovery and download 3 buttons methods worked, and they both did. I wish I could get Froyo on my phone, I would try kies method first but if no success i would try odin. I don't know anything about any of this I'm just trying to understand what I need to do. I've been looking through tutorials and many posts and I'm still confuse, I would like to keep all my apps. Help would be much appreciated thanks.

xZeDgEx

Aug 14, 2010
Calgary
I want to try this method, but my phone is not "Rooted". So I can't get titanium backup to work. I still have Eclair 2.1. I haven't touched anything yet. Only thing I tried is to see if both the recovery and download 3 buttons methods worked, and they both did. I wish I could get Froyo on my phone, I would try kies method first but if no success i would try odin. I don't know anything about any of this I'm just trying to understand what I need to do. I've been looking through tutorials and many posts and I'm still confuse, I would like to keep all my apps. Help would be much appreciated thanks.

I didnt use any backup, also mine was not rooted. Just stock JH2. I did the update with ODIN, I did not lose any data on my phone. However I did do a factory reset after just in case. It was working fine either way. I don't think its completely necessary to factory reset. I don't have a ton of apps so its not big deal, took me 15 min to get everything back the way I wanted it. Also all my stuff on the internal SD (pictures, music etc) was not erased.

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
Question as I've never flashed my phone before (and its not rooted).

If you flash your phone with this method and then have jk3 on it, what happens when Bell/Samsung officially release it? Will you be able to update to that released version? Or would you have to downgrade to upgrade again?

mad2x

Nov 28, 2010
OK thanks, do you think that after doing the update I would be able to backup with titanium? in other words will the device be rooted with that update? It's just that I have a couple of apps i bought that i would rater not loose since I would like to do a factory reset.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
Question as I've never flashed my phone before (and its not rooted).

If you flash your phone with this method and then have jk3 on it, what happens when Bell/Samsung officially release it? Will you be able to update to that released version? Or would you have to downgrade to upgrade again?

yes, you can upgrade again easily with the registry patcher to "roll back" KIES

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
I did not lose any data on my phone. However I did do a factory reset after just in case. It was working fine either way. I don't think its completely necessary to factory reset.

while this is true, for some people it might become a problem over time

it's best to do a wipe now than later

as you might have seen on the other Froyo upgrades many users have had problems leaving the old data in

personally i rather start fresh i prevent any problem from creeping up on me later on.

Android OS + apps + google makes it so extremely easy to restore from scratch, everything is sync-ed online, 1 click restore of user apps+user data

it can't be any easier than that :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[WARNING!] Do Not flash Any ROM until you can get the 3 buttons DOWNLOAD MODE working

[CAUTION!] Make sure you know what your doing before you flash any ROM. It is your own fault if you kill your phone.

By following this Guide you Agree with all of the above and consequences that follow

Before you begin...

Make a full backup of everything with Titanium Backup
    Make a full backup with CW ROM Manager
    Mount your SD card
    Manually drag/drop the CW ROM backup and Titanium Backup from the phone to your PC
    If you have CoPilot, make sure to snatch the whole copilot directory from the internal SD to your PC... it'll save you the trouble to have to re-configure & re-download the maps later

Now you can Have Fun & Happy Flashing! :)

Part 1

Choose your update method, you can Flash via the scary ODIN, or via the "safe" KIES.
    Each will have its own set of conundrums & gotchas.

If ODIN, follow these steps:
    If successful:
    • wipe data
    • wipe cache
    • reboot back to normal
    If WiFi:
    • Enter password
    Else If APN:
    • Create new APN
    • Save and Exit APN
    • Enable APN
    • run SuperOneClick
    • Select Root
    • Let it reboot
    • Run Titanium Backup

If KIES, follow these steps:
    • Install latest version of Kies (If not already installed)
    • Download Kies registry patch http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835628
    • Select your model "BMC"
    • Start KIES
    • It should tell you there is a new firmware available
    • click on firmware update
    • follow KIES on screen instructions
    • Allow it to update

Note #1: If you get and error about KIES Server not available, just retry a few times until you get it, you might even need to wait a couple of hours for it to come back
    Note #2: If KIES says something like JK4: "This device's version cannot be upgraded." use the registry patch to make KIES believe you have JG9 or JH2, and it will let you upgrade to JL2

If successful:
    • wipe data
    • wipe cache
    • reboot back to normal
    If WiFi:
    • Enter password
    Else If APN:
    • Create new APN
    • Save and Exit APN
    • Enable APN
    • run SuperOneClick
    • Select Root
    • Let it reboot
    • Run Titanium Backup

Part 2

Take advantage of the new features in Froyo 2.2
    • Install Move Apps to SD (many to choose from), as the name implies it lets you swap the installed apps from internal memory to SD card. Titanium Backup also has a buildin feature to mass move Apps 2 SD
    • Install TrafficStats, lets you monitor which App is using the internet

Troubleshooting & Known Bugs

Note 1: Titanium Backup
    in newer versions of TB the batch option has been renamed to "Restore missing apps with data"
    Then on the next screen you get to choose if you want to restore
    user apps + data, or user apps only, or user data only

BUG: Titanium Backup might get stuck when doing loooooooong batch operations in Froyo, if you jump to another App or do something else and then come back, the status on the system tray will remain forever there, and will not end, you'll have to manually Kill it using any task manager app.

Note 2: External SD
    in Eclair 2.1 the External SD was on /sdcard/sd/
    in Froyo 2.2 the External SD has been moved to /sdcard/external_sd/
    you'll have to manually update Apps that uses hard coded paths

Note 3: Restoring CoPilot
    Let Titanium Backup finish the 400+ apps restore
    Copy the Copilot folder you backed up earlier back to Internal SD from PC or External SD
    Run Copilot,
    The registration key should already be listed in the box
    Hit Ok
    It should say Activation Completed Successfully, with the thumbs up
    icon14.gif
    picture

Note 4: Re-install No LED
    After restoring No Led from backup it kept complaining about it needing to be re-installed
    Once you re-install it, everything works great as usual.

Note 5: News and Weather Genie Widget does not work on 2.2
    It's NOT compatible with Froyo, it keeps force closing everytime you try to run it.
    Good thing is, this App was totally optional, it was just a plug in for DeskClock which itself was a plug in for Alarm Clock PlusV2? (the best alarm app for android)

Note 6: Z4Root not showing on market for some people
    if you are having trouble with market, the alternative is to download it from the topic
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Thanks to: TriC_101, ragin, Chainfire for JL2 tar ball, RyanZA, TitaniuBackup developer(s), and all the great people in XDA-Developers.com
    Does anyone have a patch to Stock AOSP Lockscreen for JL2?

I got it running on my custom ROM. I'll get it uploaded as soon as I have some time, but it'll only work on de-odexed ROMs. (I can't re-odex it as I'm running a de-odexed ROM.)
    hey anyone know any good froyo custom roms? that dont cause internal sd problems... ive got this one with speedmod kernel running... but everywhere i find im reading that perople are getting sd problems with other roms?

If you are worried, you should stay with Bell's Official Stock Firmware.
    Chance of your phone failing is random, so nobody can answer it other than that if you want to play safe,,, STAY STOCK.
    Just use the SuperOneClick method to root JK4.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682
    By the way Allgamer,

i) Will the flashing remove the 2e bootloader afterwards (I quite like the ability to use unsigned files)
    ii) when you say undo, do you mean disable the Voodoo fix, or replace the Voodoo kernel with the Samsung 2.1 kernel?

Cheers, Peter.

I know the question was directed at Allgamer but I'll answer anyway since it was asked yesterday.

i) Yes flashing JL2 will remove 2e recovery. You can easily get it back by flashing a custom Kernel.

ii) Just disable the lagfix (convert back to RFS) do not worry about changing the Kernel.