[Q] Data call failure

Search This thread

Seechay

Dec 17, 2011
West Palm Beach
Has anyone had issues with the HTC Media Link HD? Everytime I connect to it I am bombarded with "Data Call Failure: Error Code 67 Unable to establish wireless data conection." I can't access any internet related apps, yet I can still text and do calls. I am not connect to a wireless router, I am using wifi direct connect. Can someone try replicating this problem by connecting to the media link directly and let me know if you are getting the same error? Sprint was unable to help me with this and they even had me reset my phone so much that I lost all data connectivity and had to do two complete resets to get my data profiles to come back, yet I am still getting the persistent error code 67. All help will be appreciated.
~Seechay

Edit: After I got my data back, I attempted the media link again. I was able to get the internet working. Then I rooted the phone and found out that I know am getting the data call failure error. Does anyone have any idea why the root might be messing with my data connection?

Last edited:
Reactions: sbuxreg

sbuxreg

Jan 21, 2010
Canton, Ohio
i am having the EXACT same problem as you. just picked up my media link device tonight and started toying around w/ it. sadly i have no solution at the current time.

RegnierD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Alright, I'm ready to start diagnosing your guys' issues. I only used my home WiFi and never connected directly to the Media Link HD receiver, so I set that up and then disconnected. I am in a basement (that's where my room is), so I frequently get data drops but I always reconnected after a few minutes or just going upstairs. So, are you in a poor signal area? Have you updated your profile and PRL? Maybe try rebooting? Have you updated the Media Link to its latest firmware? I don't know what to tell you, as I tried switching between both methods of connecting to the Media Link box and couldn't replicate a complete loss of data; mine always came back on. I'm running the latest viperROM, if that makes a difference, but it shouldn't.

Edit: Hold up. When connecting directly to the Media Link's network, you lose all internet connectivity, as the phone's WiFi is connected to an internetless network, but still, you should reconnect to 3G no problem after turning off WiFi. I get the error message a couple times, but my 3G always comes back on.

Tapatalked from my shiny new HTC Evo LTE

Last edited:
Reactions: Seechay

thedarkness81

Sep 29, 2008
Quad Cities
When it's getting the error 67 code, its trying to enable the hotspot feature on the phone for some reason. Since you don't have it active, its erroring out.

detcup4evr

Jun 18, 2010
Commerce Twp
github.com
When it's getting the error 67 code, its trying to enable the hotspot feature on the phone for some reason. Since you don't have it active, its erroring out.

Do you know if there is a Fix? I am wondering if I root this beast and do the Sprint Hotspot hack (If it is even available) if that would fix it.

I was out of town all weekend so I have a lot of catching up to do on the forums.

CarmelSack

May 10, 2012
I'm having the same problem. After 30 minutes on the phone with Sprint, now I have zero data connection. Looks like it hard reset time or get a replacement.

Phone was working fine for 2 days.

detcup4evr

Jun 18, 2010
Commerce Twp
github.com
I'm having the same problem. After 30 minutes on the phone with Sprint, now I have zero data connection. Looks like it hard reset time or get a replacement.

Phone was working fine for 2 days.

The more I look around on the internet the more I think this is some kind of bug, I contacted HTC support last night hopefully they will have some idea.

I also tried running ruu lastnight and that didn't fix it, so it is either a hardware issue or software bug, and I have found no reports of direct connect media link and 3g working. So I am leaning towards a bug. Hopefully if we bug HTC enough they can fix it.

Sent from my LTEvo using the XDA app

RegnierD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Not to rain on you guys, but my data still works after using direct connect. I got the same error acouple times because the network from the media link box has no internet, but after disconnecting, I always regained my data. Try going outside to get better reception?

detcup4evr

Jun 18, 2010
Commerce Twp
github.com
My 3g works while connected to media link now!

I modified the build.prop, to enable tether once I could use the sprint tether app without error 67 media link started working

itsachirpthing

Sep 30, 2007
My 3g works while connected to media link now!

I modified the build.prop, to enable tether once I could use the sprint tether app without error 67 media link started working

Can you enlighten me on your setup? I am rooted and s off via lazy panda running the latest MeanRom. I'm trying to use WiFi tether to connect my hd media link and have 3g access. Were you successful in doing so? This would be handy when wanting to stream via 3g when wifi is not available. Thanks for your help!

detcup4evr

Jun 18, 2010
Commerce Twp
github.com
Can you enlighten me on your setup? I am rooted and s off via lazy panda running the latest MeanRom. I'm trying to use WiFi tether to connect my hd media link and have 3g access. Were you successful in doing so? This would be handy when wanting to stream via 3g when wifi is not available. Thanks for your help!

I am running stock Rom right now. I did the build.prop mod to enable wifi tether. I kept getting error 67 I tried a number of things and sometimes I would get it to work for a little bit then stop so far nothing seems to work. I have tried working with HTC support and haven't had much luck. I am hoping to Flash Flex360 rom to see if that will solve this problem. since it has the wifi hotspot fix. I have confirmed that if the Sprint hotspot is working (not error 67) then media link works fine.

Interesting to see they swapped out phone, HTC told me the feature wasn't supported.

itsachirpthing

Sep 30, 2007
I am running stock Rom right now. I did the build.prop mod to enable wifi tether. I kept getting error 67 I tried a number of things and sometimes I would get it to work for a little bit then stop so far nothing seems to work. I have tried working with HTC support and haven't had much luck. I am hoping to Flash Flex360 rom to see if that will solve this problem. since it has the wifi hotspot fix. I have confirmed that if the Sprint hotspot is working (not error 67) then media link works fine.

Interesting to see they swapped out phone, HTC told me the feature wasn't supported.

I got the build prop edited. As we speak I'm using 3g and media link hd. I can confirm 100% hotspot its required when direct link is used. I did get the data error a few times, but I'm unsure why. I'll keep testing. Let us know your results with the 360 rom. Thanks for the tip!

wolfclan68

Aug 5, 2010
Chula Vista, Ca
I had this same problem last week. I'm not sure what causes it. Check in settings/about/phone identity and look at the "current username". I had a bunch of jibberish in there. It should show your sprint email address. Turn off Wifi and update your profile. hopefully should fix it. Mine didn't fix it, I ended up running the RUU back to stock then it reset with the profile update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone had issues with the HTC Media Link HD? Everytime I connect to it I am bombarded with "Data Call Failure: Error Code 67 Unable to establish wireless data conection." I can't access any internet related apps, yet I can still text and do calls. I am not connect to a wireless router, I am using wifi direct connect. Can someone try replicating this problem by connecting to the media link directly and let me know if you are getting the same error? Sprint was unable to help me with this and they even had me reset my phone so much that I lost all data connectivity and had to do two complete resets to get my data profiles to come back, yet I am still getting the persistent error code 67. All help will be appreciated.
    ~Seechay

Edit: After I got my data back, I attempted the media link again. I was able to get the internet working. Then I rooted the phone and found out that I know am getting the data call failure error. Does anyone have any idea why the root might be messing with my data connection?
    Alright, I'm ready to start diagnosing your guys' issues. I only used my home WiFi and never connected directly to the Media Link HD receiver, so I set that up and then disconnected. I am in a basement (that's where my room is), so I frequently get data drops but I always reconnected after a few minutes or just going upstairs. So, are you in a poor signal area? Have you updated your profile and PRL? Maybe try rebooting? Have you updated the Media Link to its latest firmware? I don't know what to tell you, as I tried switching between both methods of connecting to the Media Link box and couldn't replicate a complete loss of data; mine always came back on. I'm running the latest viperROM, if that makes a difference, but it shouldn't.

Edit: Hold up. When connecting directly to the Media Link's network, you lose all internet connectivity, as the phone's WiFi is connected to an internetless network, but still, you should reconnect to 3G no problem after turning off WiFi. I get the error message a couple times, but my 3G always comes back on.

Had same issue. Took phone and got a replacement. Not another issue at all.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app