Help me decide between the Galaxy Nexus and 4G LTE

Search This thread

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
Hey patass, I just checked your link. Thanks. I don't see clarification on the site, though. Do those advertised prices ONLY apply to new accounts, or upgrades as well?

Much thanks. ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
Well, has it changed? Doubt it, but that's besides the point. The Nexus S was running a HW accelerated ICS build since the SDK port. The SDK port. That was a long, long time ago.

Since the 4.0.4 update was merged to the upstream HWA works fully now, aokp build 31+ runs as good as cm7 now the only thing not working is ffc

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
And video. And Netflix I believe, although I don't care.

My video works, dunno about Netflix but flash works, YouTube and webvideo, use opera mini and install flashplayer from the market and it works I'm running it on my evo and everything is working but ffc and on my et4g everything works including ffc and face unlock I have 0 issues on the et4g and have been using it as my daily since the builds with 4.0.4 merged which was build 30 for the et4g and 31 for the evo

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
Oh idk I never use the camera on the evo anymore lol its my work # I mostly use it for calls emails and tethering use my et4g for everything else especially camera cuz I can record in full 1080p

vanshmack

Jan 25, 2006
Samsung had it's day, and the last decent Samsung smartphone IMHO was the i700, circa 2004. Since then, build quality has declined, and the devices feel cheap. Hardware is no contest when comparing to the EVO LTE. Cell signal will be superior due to the processor, the camera will be unbelievable, and the audio system will be unparalleled in the Android world.

The Galaxy Nexus is already old news, outdated, and halfway through it's life cycle.

I'll take the superior hardware of the HTC any day, as I know there will be Dev support, and if you must have AOSP, you know that will be on the way, with it only being a matter of time. The original EVO was first rooted 2 weeks prior to it's release, so I have no doubts the same will be true for the LTE.

Overall, the HTC is just a vastly superior phone.

patass

Feb 21, 2009
yes yes, and then the galaxy s3, and then super pone 87, and then 2012 and the world ends. It's impossible to keep up unless you want to shell out roughly 500 bucks every few months. I like the nexus, I wanted the on screen touch buttons, i'm sure i'll be happy.

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
The original EVO was first rooted 2 weeks prior to it's release, so I have no doubts the same will be true for the LTE.

Overall, the HTC is just a vastly superior phone.

This is where I have some concern. The OG Evo was rooted immediately for 2 reasons. 1) they were handed out freely at Google IO before release, and 2) Android 2.1 had way more holes. ( #2 is just speculation on my part).

Since the Evo, HTC has stepped up its bootloader locking game. Some of the newer devices have had to wait quite a while before getting s-off or even root (if I remember correctly). I know HTC has set up the HTC dev site, but from what I understand, that still leaves S-on. Unlocked, but S-on OOW (which, I'm not really concerned with the OOW since I accept that warranty is void once I root)

IDK. Just some thoughts. If anyone wants to correct me on any of this, please do. I'm sure I got some stuff wrong here.

vanshmack

Jan 25, 2006
yes yes, and then the galaxy s3, and then super pone 87, and then 2012 and the world ends. It's impossible to keep up unless you want to shell out roughly 500 bucks every few months. I like the nexus, I wanted the on screen touch buttons, i'm sure i'll be happy.

A phone is a highly personal choice, so I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Aside from the camera, it's an upgrade from our EVO, but I just don't think it's the quantum leap over the LTE will be. And that's what made the choice for me, as well as handling a Galaxy Nexus that my sister-in-law just picked up. It wasn't much faster than my CM7 equipped EVO. Really, it's a testament to how amazing the OG EVO was: Even now, 2 years later, there is not yet a phone on the market that is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the EVO. But I think that changes with the LTE.

I just wonder what you would have bought if the EVO LTE was available right now at the store, along side Nexus!

Anyway, enjoy your purchase!

patass

Feb 21, 2009
the latest cm7 rc crashes my evo constantly, with all the kernels ive tried including stock. yes of course i full wipe with the latest cwm. my evo was largely a laggy mess even on stock.

patass

Feb 21, 2009
i used to use amon ra too, it was the same story. i probably just had a weird phone. i had two instances of a perfectly working phone, once with cm7 rc1 and once with one of the evo 3d copy cat roms by mik

vanshmack

Jan 25, 2006
I've flashed CM with both AmonRa and CWM with no issues from either one. I also wipe everything in the same order 3x before each flash, too.

Still, I'm sure it's possible to have hardware that doesn't play well with certain updates.

I'm actually on my second EVO now. The first one was replaced under insurance about 7 months ago when it popped out of it's holster and landed on the concrete at Disneyland, shattering the screen. The thing I've noticed with the replacement phone is that the battery life was much worse than before...And that's with the same battery as the first one. I've finally found a combo on the new one that gives good battery life, but that's after flashing Tiamat 4.1-SBC over the April 22 CWM nightly, underclocking the CPU, then undervolting by 100 MV across the board. My old phone didn't need any of that to get me through a couple of days of normal use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XhausX said he's in on the Evo LTE. If any of you aren't familiar with him, he basically became the Evo 4gs toast after toast split (before toast split, actually). He fixed recoveries and wrote updated root tuts, etc. I'm only saying that having xhausx on your team puts you on a winning team. Very encouraging.

TEAM REVOLUTION will be supporting the Evo 4g LTE
    Popular dev Myn will be getting one also to develop roms
    i have a strong feeling Mik will be too, since he loves sense
    Virus might jump on board too

everything looks good for the evo 4g lte so far

i was this close to getting the galaxy nexus, im glad i didnt get it. i would take sense 4.0 over stock andoid anyday
    I guess I really don't know that I need to strip away Sense immediately. I've read many good things about 4.0 from people who hated Sense before. With an expensive, brand new device, I don't want to screw around anyway.

I'm not going to buy a phone that isn't to my standards - I'm buying a phone because I love how it runs as is. While people furiously search for ways to root, I'll enjoy the stock performance. Maybe a year later, when everything has been exploited and the development is flowing, I'll probably start rooting and exploring customizations again. Sure I'll miss flashing stuff, but I won't miss NEEDING to because I'm jealous of everyone else's phones (not until Jellybean, that is). I'm looking forward to a great camera, blazing fast processor, everything working, 4G (which is in my area right now), etc.

To me, if you're one who despises Sense, get the Nexus. If you can tolerate it a while, get the EVO. Simple. This idea the EVO will be outdated fast is silly. What do you want your phone to do? Massage you? It has a blazing fast OS, amazing hardware, and a camera that takes as good of pictures as is needed for a phone. If things get slightly faster or slightly more memory or slightly better in the camera department, who cares? You will still have a VERY capable phone which was the first to have a lot of features. I can't wait to buy mine, yet I feel like everyone suddenly thinks it sucks. I'm not letting people bring me down on it - that's a sweet phone at a sweet price and I'm pumped! :)
    HTC evo 4g LTe............No removable battery = FAIL ! ! ! ! !

WINNER = Iphone or any other phone

Yeah, that iPhone's removable battery really helps it win that battle... :rolleyes:
    If my memory serves me right, I do not believe that the Galaxy Nexus has Quick Settings enabled in the drop-down notification bar. Sense 4.0, it has ditched the Quick Settings thing too, unfortunately, according to screenshots I've seen.

------------------------------------------

Software:

Galaxy Nexus - Vanilla ICS.
    LTEvo - ICS, Sense 4.0 - Sense 4.0 review here.

Winner: LTEvo. I do like the few tweaks that HTC has included with Sense 4.0 and it does not appear to be extremely heavy.

--------------------------------------------------

Build Quality:

Galaxy Nexus - Plastic. It feels a little awkward to hold in one hand and reach across the screen.
    LTEvo - Black aluminum and plastic. Reviews say that it is "svelte" and fits well in the hand.

Winner: LTEvo. However, I do wish the whole body was aluminum with the Micro Arc Oxidation treatment (One S). Or at least the plastic was replaced with polycarbonate (One X). The Galaxy Nexus is a bit awkward in the hand and it's fully plastic.

-------------------------------------------------

Processor:

Galaxy Nexus - 1.2 GHz TI OMAP 4460 (dual-core, Cortex-A9, 45nm)
    LTEvo - 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 "Krait" "S4" (dual-core, Cortex-A15, 28nm), integrated LTE

Winner: LTEvo. The Krait S4 chip is a beast from what I seen, and can handle anything thrown at it. Cortext-A15 and 28nm = less heat, less battery usage. The OMAP is simply aging.

Other Internals:

Galaxy Nexus - PowerVR SGX540 GPU, 1 GB RAM
    LTEvo - Adreno 225 GPU, 1 GB RAM

Winner: LTEvo. The PowerVR the Nexus packs is aged (hint: it's the same one as the one in the OG Galaxy S). I do wish the LTEvo had the Adreno 320 GPU, but I'm sure the 225 can handle well.

-----------------------------------------------

Screen:

Galaxy Nexus - 4.65" Super Amoled Screen, PenTile, 720p resolution, 316 ppi (claimed), 200 ppi (realistic - PenTile)
    LTEvo - 4.7" Super LCD 2 Screen, non-PenTile, 720p resolution, 312 ppi

Winner: LTEvo. Non-PenTile, larger screen? That 4.65" on the Galaxy Nexus includes the on-screen "softkeys" while the 4.7" on the LTEvo does not.

Storage:

Galaxy Nexus - 32 GB internal, no microSD slot
    LTEvo - 16 GB internal, microSD slot

Winner: LTEvo. Expandable storage = win. Yes, you can use Dropbox and such, but that is online storage.

------------------------------------------------

Battery:

Galaxy Nexus - 1850 mAh, removable
    LTEvo - 2000 mAh, non-removable

Winner: Galaxy Nexus. While the LTEvo has the larger battery, it is non-removable. :eek: While the Galaxy Nexus has a smaller battery, it is removable, giving you the option of an extended battery.

----------------------------------------------------

Camera:

Galaxy Nexus -
    • 5 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 24 fps, single flash
    • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @30 fps
    LTEvo -
    • 8 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 30 fps, single flash, backside illumination, dedicated ImageChip
    • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @ ? fps

Winner: LTEvo. The Galaxy Nexus camera is obviously lacking.