Recover a soft bricked I9003 Galaxy SL

Search This thread

Adi_Pat

Dec 19, 2011
Mumbai
This is for all those who have soft bricked their phone, if you are experiencing a bootloop or some other problem here is a detailed guide how to get your phone back to working condition. If your phone is not entering download mode or recovery mode and even if a USB jig is not possible or not working.... This is the guide for you-I do not know whether this will work in all situations but you could still try it if you have no other alternative. The Galaxy SL has a hard reset button between the camera lens and the speaker... DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

1)Open the back over
2)Check between the Camera Lens and the speaker
3) There is a hard reset button which is a small cavity
4) You will need two people for this.. Keep that cavity pressed with a pin
5) Keeping it pressed use the download mode combo- Volume down + Home + Power pressed.
6)Wait and try it a couple of times and your phone will enter download mode
7)Flash to a stock firmware

Also thanks to sakindia123 for giving me a suggestion of making a thread on this ...

Hit the THANKS button if it helped you !

Attachments

• Image0365.jpg
    Image0365.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 23,074
Last edited:

rizo99

Sep 15, 2010
All trials failed

Hello,
after i've updated my Galaxy S GT-I9003 with an official Rom JPKPE Gingerbread 2.3.6, and after rebooting, it stucked at bootloop, i've tried everything suggested on web and forums, and lastly your solution, with no benefit.

the problem i noticed that when i press on wipe data/factory reset in recovery mode it tells me :

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /dbdata...

E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/stl10

Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.

so, is the corruption of the format volume rfs that causes the issue of bootloop
and is this a soft brick of the phone, or hard brick, could it be solved or the phone is dead?

i tried rooting it with CF-Root and bagaria.
if i converted the format to ext4, will that solve the issue.
if so, what are the steps to do that and from where can i get the software that i'll convert by

Note: i've started updating with the XXKPQ ROM putting the PIT file then i downloaded the JPKPE after i issued that problem of bootloop

another Question, is it right that i update with the PID file only knowing that i couldn't find any other files for phone and CSC for this version.

Hope any body could help me to get my phone to life again.
Thanks

Reactions: Amit134

varunthapliyal999

Aug 8, 2010
Dehradun
Hello,
after i've updated my Galaxy S GT-I9003 with an official Rom JPKPE Gingerbread 2.3.6, and after rebooting, it stucked at bootloop, i've tried everything suggested on web and forums, and lastly your solution, with no benefit.

the problem i noticed that when i press on wipe data/factory reset in recovery mode it tells me :

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /dbdata...

Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.

so, is the corruption of the format volume rfs that causes the issue of bootloop
and is this a soft brick of the phone, or hard brick, could it be solved or the phone is dead?

if so, what are the steps to do that and from where can i get the software that i'll convert by

Note: i've started updating with the XXKPQ ROM putting the PIT file then i downloaded the JPKPE after i issued that problem of bootloop

another Question, is it right that i update with the PID file only knowing that i couldn't find any other files for phone and CSC for this version.

Thanks

First flash xxkpe
then kpq (or jpkpe)

Adi_Pat

Dec 19, 2011
Mumbai
Hello,

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /dbdata...

Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.

Thanks
Your phone still enters recovery mode right.. and Enter into Download mode and Flash XXKPE with latona.pit .. then see if it boots up correctly.. then flash XXKPQ...

Reactions: reachnimesh

The__Ripper

Jan 6, 2012
Coronel
Bricked Phone

Hi, I tried your method, but I couldn't enter downloading. I was flashing a stock rom and after flashing the latona, I stupidily forgot to reboot my phone in downloading and I flashed the stock rom with the phone off...then I was not able to enter downloading...does anybody know some possible solution?

P.S. I know it was really stupid :/

I recovered my phone!!! thanks to this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1486616 Thank you all devs and xda...you don't know how I love you at this moment

Last edited:

varunthapliyal999

Aug 8, 2010
Dehradun
Hi, I tried your method, but I couldn't enter downloading. I was flashing a stock rom and after flashing the latona, I stupidily forgot to reboot my phone in downloading and I flashed the stock rom with the phone off...then I was not able to enter downloading...does anybody know some possible solution?

how were you able to flash anything if phone was switched off :confused:

bscraze

Aug 14, 2011
Singapore

I recovered my phone!!! thanks to this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1486616 Thank you all devs and xda...you don't know how I love you at this moment

Yea exactly what devilhell said. Its impossible to hardbrick your phone technically if you haven't flashed any bootloader on it.

Cheers:)

Sent from my GT-i9003 powered by MIUI:D

Adi_Pat

Dec 19, 2011
Mumbai
As long as your boot partition and recovery partition is not corrupted your phone is recoverable. If boot partition is corrupt your phone will not boot. So as long as your phone boots it is recoverable.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using XDA App

Reactions: ctmstudios

riiad

Jun 4, 2011
Dhaka
Deep in my heart we do beleave xda shall over come some days

This is for all those who have soft bricked their phone, if you are experiencing a bootloop or some other problem here is a detailed guide how to get your phone back to working condition. If your phone is not entering download mode or recovery mode and even if a USB jig is not possible or not working.... This is the guide for you-I do not know whether this will work in all situations but you could still try it if you have no other alternative. The Galaxy SL has a hard reset button between the camera lens and the speaker... DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

1)Open the back over
5) Keeping it pressed use the download mode combo- Volume down + Home + Power pressed.

Also thanks to sakindia123 for giving me a suggestion of making a thread on this ...

# Dont need to hardreset. Just follow simple procedure and done.. Thank you. Thanks a lot xda-dev.
NB: I bricked my GT-i9003 v.3.2.6... I just follow the guide and read the xda members how to 3/4 times. ANd i dont get any problems at all... Oh my OS version downgrade from Gingerbread 3.6 to Froyo 2.2 .

Reactions: izal_muin

TheFrankenstain

Dec 25, 2011
Moscow
Thanks, you saved me!
I flash KPQ but device not boot
Download mode working, device not boot, the screen turns on and off for a second
I flash I9003XEKB1 and device boot!
Thanks!!

Last edited:

lichongwei

Jan 22, 2012
Hi there,

i have an I9003 and it is using froyo 2.2

i intended to upgrade until gingerbread and i have chosen the KPU (latest ROM). I use mobile ODIN to flash and the bootloop issue happens.

So, to recover back, i came to here with hope to recover my I9003.

the steps i did was:
1. Download and run odin 1.8.5.
2. Check Re-Partition, Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time.
3. Click PIT button and select this file: latona_20110114.pit
4. Click PDA button and select this file: I9003xxxxx-KP7...-.tar.md5 (single file FW)
5. Put your phone into download mode: Press Volume down + OK + Power.
6. Connect USB cable and the program will detect the phone's Com number.
7. Click Start button to download the PIT file to phone.
8. After it is Done Click on Reset button, then unselect Re-Partition box.
9. Click Start button to flash the files to phone.
10. Everything pass except there is 1 failure.

Now my I9003 can boot up, however with bootloop issue. What should i do now?

bscraze

Aug 14, 2011
Singapore
Hi there,

i intended to upgrade until gingerbread and i have chosen the KPU (latest ROM). I use mobile ODIN to flash and the bootloop issue happens.

the steps i did was:
4. Click PDA button and select this file: I9003xxxxx-KP7...-.tar.md5 (single file FW)

For a single file, no need to partition. Reflash the right way and it'll be alright:)

Cheers:)

Sent from my GT-i9003 powered by MIUI:D

chongns

Aug 1, 2011
Johor Bahru
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 4G
Hi there,

the steps i did was:

Initialy, u no need to flash pit file.
now, u have to reflash xxkpe with have 4 files.
Read first the flash guide b4 flash again.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

petrelli4351

Mar 10, 2012
i9003 dead

I had my phone i9003 flashed to a i9000 stock rom by a total mistake.
I had both pit files on my PC so I mixed up by a mistake.

Now my device is completely dead and nothing works out. Not even charging, completely unusable now.
Hardware reset, JIG's and combination keys, ODIN setups..nothing takes me to download mode.

Phone is still under warranty so afraid to JTAG.

Do you all think my phone is recoverable? Will the samsung warranty tech's will find out about the issue and won't the claim?

Please help. tried everything and now clueless.

xXCorleoneXx

Sep 5, 2011
Hy,

my problem is,
that the storage is not prepared yet.so says the phone.also please use UI menu for format and reboot action.
and
E:format-volume:rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

Data wipe failed.

I have no idea what to .

I've reflashed xxkpe everything.
I have amits kernel to format all partitions, everything wipt and and and
But nothing has helped
can someone please help me there?

P.S: kernel panic mode occurs when I remove the sdcard

Last edited:

appkiller

Feb 15, 2012
antalya
Hy,

my problem is,
that the storage is not prepared yet.so says the phone.also please use UI menu for format and reboot action.
and
E:format-volume:rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

Data wipe failed.

I have no idea what to .

I've reflashed xxkpe everything.
I have amits kernel to format all partitions, everything wipt and and and
But nothing has helped
can someone please help me there?

P.S: kernel panic mode occurs when I remove the sdcard

Did u convert the system to ext4 because ı had a problem like this with mobile odin and after first boot it says as you faced but when i convert the system and all the others to ext4 with chainfire ext app. Everything was ok. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

callingtariq

Apr 23, 2012
prb in samsung galaxy s gt-i9003

well i have a simple question i have samsung S gt i9003 and i just update the software through my cell its in the option and after dl and installing the it stopped during istallation and it says update fail!!! kernel verify fail and red screen appears and dissappear after 2sec now i can only do download mood so can anyone help me wat to do?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1)Open the back over

Ya sure !

Sent from my GT I9003 using XDA app-
    Galaxy SL
    CF Root
    XXKPH
    Cranium Rom V.3.1
    All trials failed

Hello,

-- Wiping data...
    Formatting /data...
    Formatting /dbdata...

Formatting /cache...
    Data wipe complete.

Thanks
    Hello,

-- Wiping data...
    Formatting /data...
    Formatting /dbdata...

Formatting /cache...
    Data wipe complete.

Thanks
    Your phone still enters recovery mode right.. and Enter into Download mode and Flash XXKPE with latona.pit .. then see if it boots up correctly.. then flash XXKPQ...
    As long as your boot partition and recovery partition is not corrupted your phone is recoverable. If boot partition is corrupt your phone will not boot. So as long as your phone boots it is recoverable.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using XDA App