[Q] Symptoms of a bricked phone? (related to all skyrocket users)

Search This thread

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
background info:
I am (or was) running MHX superlite 3.0 rom with romracers stockish 0.3 kernel.
UCLA3 modem and radio.

So today my phone decides to restart itself and never will load past the "first two"
samsung screens.

Once these "two" samsung logos pass by, the screen turns blank (not on)
and starts to vibrate with 1 second intervals.

The only way for it to stop is if I pull the battery.

Heres the weird part.

I tried to ODIN back to stock...once I put my phone into DOWNLOAD MODE.
The little android guy that says DOWNLOADING "dont turn off" will show for a millisecond and then the screen will shut off and start the vibrations. ODIN will not recognize the device either

So what I have is a phone that wont load past the samsung logos if the power button is pressed

AND

Download mode works, but the screen will turn blank and vibrations start buzzing.

My phone is having seizures. The only way to stop the vibrations is by pulling the battery.

I have accepted the fact that the phone may be done for.

It was a great 4 months together. tear*

DoctorQMM

Feb 24, 2011
OP... what rom/kernel/modem were you running before MHX-SuperLite? and what wipe process did you use prior to MHX flash?

skrambled

Mar 2, 2011
New Hampshire
Can you get into recovery and restore a backup?

If you don't have a backup and can get into recovery, try wiping data/cache, then go into mounts/storage and format system, data, and cache, then go to advanced and wipe Dalvic cache. Then power down and try to Odin back to stock again.

If this doesn't work, try another data cable or usb port on your machine (or another pc if this doesn't work). Maybe communication is getting lost due to bad usb connection...

EDIT: Are you saying you tried to Odin even though Odin wasn't recognizing your phone? That could be part of the problem. Try re-installing the Samsung drivers and see if Odin sees it then.

If you can get into download mode you aren't hard bricked yet...

Last edited:

droid512

Jan 20, 2011
Austin
I think he is saying that Odin recognizes his phone but his phone goes black before he can't start the reflash right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

DoctorQMM

Feb 24, 2011
Did we lose the OP'r? I was just getting ready to flash this ROM (MHX) but Jooosty has thrown up a curveball. Hope you get it resolved.

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
Okay sorry for late response.

But i was running skyice speed before hand.

Ive only used CWM to wipe data.

No OC or UV on this kernel.

Cant get into cwm or recovery. The screen turns blank before i can do anything at all.
Ive concluded its most likely a internal hardware failure maybe...
Going to try to sell for parts

skrambled

Mar 2, 2011
New Hampshire
Okay sorry for late response.

But i was running skyice speed before hand.

Ive only used CWM to wipe data.

No OC or UV on this kernel.

Cant get into cwm or recovery. The screen turns blank before i can do anything at all.
Ive concluded its most likely a internal hardware failure maybe...
Going to try to sell for parts

I wouldn't give up just yet. I have never seen an instance of a hard brick where you could get into download mode. Try using Odin from another machine (preferably not a laptop).

If it's internal hardware failure then you have a defective product that is covered under warranty. Call support and get them to replace it (as a last resort of course--I honestly think you'll be able to get Odin to work if the drivers are properly installed and you have a solid usb connection).

EDIT: If you insist on selling it, please pm me so I can make an offer!

Last edited:

plwalsh88

Apr 4, 2011
Boston, MA
I wouldn't give up just yet. I have never seen an instance of a hard brick where you could get into download mode. Try using Odin from another machine (preferably not a laptop).

If it's internal hardware failure then you have a defective product that is covered under warranty. Call support and get them to replace it (as a last resort of course--I honestly think you'll be able to get Odin to work if the drivers are properly installed and you have a solid usb connection).

EDIT: If you insist on selling it, please pm me so I can make an offer!

He already said Odin/connection isn't the problem. His phone won't stay on long enough for the communication to be made. According to what he said, it has nothing to do with machine/drivers/cable. He needs a way of keep the phone on long enough to make the connection, or somehow communicate with it another way. Unfortunately, I have no ideas. Although, I really hope someone does. That RussianBear guy seems to be onto something with communicating with the emmc without the phone being on... or something like that.

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
The battery is fine. Wouldnt keep rebooting if otherwise. O well.
Just bought a captivate to feed my android in me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA

X

xtechx

:(

DUDE!!!! mine just started doing the EXACT same issue....SOB.... :(

no cwm, no download, just reboots...i acn see cwm lettering for like 0.1ms then it reboots, and reboots every second...download mode, as soon as I choose continue, it goes into reboot loop.....

this is exactly what happened when it happened to my phone......
I went to hit the power button to lock the screen, was listening ot music on power amp. instead of screen locking, the power menu came up...hit back, and tried ot lock screen again? screen went black, 2 vibrates back to back....then saw sgh-i727r boot logo, then black and 1 second vibrate intervals.....

got it sitting in rice right now in case it got wet...battery litmus paper is good...only thing it may have gotten warm today, was working outside and it was 26° celcius....

I did drop it about 1.5 months ago and changed my screen about 3 weeks ago...unfortunately I broke the old lcd when removing the screen, I guess I didn't heat the glue enough...so I can't pop it back in and test to see if related...

I may take apart my phone in a bit and see if any liquid has leaked in...but I didn't get wet....

i think i'm going to order a gt-i9100 again, as I miss that phone.....

Last edited:

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
DUDE!!!! mine just started doing the EXACT same issue....SOB.... :(

no cwm, no download, just reboots...i acn see cwm lettering for like 0.1ms then it reboots, and reboots every second...download mode, as soon as I choose continue, it goes into reboot loop.....

this is exactly what happened when it happened to my phone......
I went to hit the power button to lock the screen, was listening ot music on power amp. instead of screen locking, the power menu came up...hit back, and tried ot lock screen again? screen went black, 2 vibrates back to back....then saw sgh-i727r boot logo, then black and 1 second vibrate intervals.....

got it sitting in rice right now in case it got wet...battery litinus paper is good...only thing it may have gotten warm today, was working outside and it was 26° celcius....

I did drop it about 1.5 months ago and changed my screen about 3 weeks ago...unfortunately I broke the old lcd when removing the screen, I guess I didn't heat the glue enough...so I can't pop it back in and test to see if related...

I may take apart my phone in a bit and see if any liquid has leaked in...but I didn't get wet....

i think i'm going to order a gt-i9100 again, as I miss that phone.....

What ROM were you on man?

Sent from SKYROCKET
NexusMod 4.0
Faux 010m

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm thinking this is a battery issue or a problem with the battery connection.

The reason I say this is that if you remove the battery entirely from your phone and plug it in, it just keeps vibrating intermittently as stated above and seen in video.

Not sure what the solution is yet, but I have Joosty's phone coming my way that I hope to be able to repair. I'm guessing that the battery connection is the problem.

Will report back with any results...
    BOOM!!!! I fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it was a battery or battery connection issue. I removed the back plating and noticed that there was some lint on the inside that was bridging the battery connections (I don't know the tech terms, sorry).

Used some air duster and blew it out. Reassembled and it is working like a charm now.

(If Joosty is reading this, I did a factory data reset--including USB storage--immediately so no worries about any personal data you may have had on there.)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

EDIT: For anyone trying this fix just thought I'd mention that I used a 1/16 screwdriver to get the screws out and that getting the cover off was a little tricky--I thought I was going to break the plastic when trying to pop it off. Also, the volume rocker button falls right out so make sure to watch for that...
    Well, now I'm thinking it is a battery issue. Just plugged it into my usb at work and now it is starting up fine. To the OP and anyone else with this problem, check the battery. What's weird is that I plugged it into my charger at home and I got the same vibrations (every few seconds or so), so I though it was the phone.
    Well, I have joosty's old phone and it is behaving exactly as described in the OP.

It starts vibrating as soon as I put the battery in. I've tried two other (fully charged) batteries and neither made a difference.

I can get the download mode option to show up for a second and then it's gone, and then the vibrating starts again.

I've tried every possible key combo and other random tricks from things I've seen around the web (soft reset of the battery, etc), but nothing appears to be helping. I'm starting to think this is not fixable.

What's more concerning is that I saw one person suggest to someone in a similar situation that this could be symptomatic of a motherboard failure. I don't think even a jtag could repair that.

Does anyone out there know if a jtag might fix this? Or, will Samsung do a warranty replacement if I don't have a receipt and am not the original purchaser (I'm pretty sure the answer is no but thought I'd ask...)?
    BOOM!!!! I fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it was a battery or battery connection issue. I removed the back plating and noticed that there was some lint on the inside that was bridging the battery connections (I don't know the tech terms, sorry).

Used some air duster and blew it out. Reassembled and it is working like a charm now.

(If Joosty is reading this, I did a factory data reset--including USB storage--immediately so no worries about any personal data you may have had on there.)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Awesome job dude!! As there have been other reports of this issue, its great to know what is most likely causing it! Very well done my friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA