Elago Leather Case

Search This thread

enny76

Jun 1, 2012
Elago Case

Love the look of the case. Worry about exposed corners. Did you have to cut openings on the sides for buttons? How about the magnet closure? Does it interfere with the Note in any way? Thanks.

DroidXpert13

Mar 2, 2012
My biggest issue with these types of cases and which was why i returned the samsung flip case is how you have to contort the case to take a picture. You have to have that big flap open to take one vertically or horizontally. Other than that I would buy it in a heart beat! Its beautifully made.

ColSaulTigh

May 24, 2011
Lake Mary, FL
Love the look of the case. Worry about exposed corners. Did you have to cut openings on the sides for buttons? How about the magnet closure? Does it interfere with the Note in any way? Thanks.

Made no modifications, all buttons on the sides work perfectly. They're even marked in the leather (power, vol +/-).

Magnet does not interfere with the phone at all, and works fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My case arrived!!!

So my case arrived today from Amazon, and I promised you all a review, so here goes:

1) Delivery & packaging

The case came via USPS - not UPS or FedEx. Ordered: Sunday, March 25th, 2012; delivered: Wednesday, March 28th, 2012. Came from San Diego, CA to Orlando, FL in 3 days. Not bad. The case was packed in a bubble-padded shipping envelope. A bit cheap considering I paid $4.99 in shipping & handling, but whatever.

DSCF1196.JPG

Inside the bubble wrap was the case in it's manufacturer's packaging. Nice pack - obviously meant for hanging on a peg in a retail location. It's attractive and well-protected inside, and the package was not difficult at all to open. There is a fingernail tab in the top-right corner of the front face that lets you just lift off the front cover. No chance of scratching your case with scissors or a knife - a nice touch, I thought.

DSCF1198.JPG

The reason I mentioned the nice packaging is that inside the outer packaging, the case is resting inside ANOTHER plastic tray (this one without a face), providing an extra layer of cushioning and protection from crushing. It's obvious that whoever thought up the packaging design took care to remember the leather case inside...

DSCF1206.JPG

2) Aesthetics and General Fit/Finish

This is a NICE case! The edges have all been finished and are not ragged like some other cases I've seen. Everything is glued instead of stitched, so we'll see how well that holds up over the long-term, but so far, so good - nothing is loose or peeling. There is a small company logo on the front in the bottom-left corner and another one (with a tagline) on the back in the bottom-center. Both are small and non-obtrusive.

DSCF1213.JPG

DSCF1220.JPG

3) SPECIFIC Fit and Finish

My 1st surprise was to find out that the cover MAGNETICALLY sticks to the case to close - a pleasant surprise! The 2nd surprise was to find a wallet-like card pouch on the inside with 2 slots for credit cards. Um, this was NOT in the pictures on the website and MAY be a problem when I install my SPIGEN SGP GLAS t. Premium Tempered Glass Series Screen Protector which arrives tomorrow. I will report back on this when it's installed.

DSCF1221.JPG

The 3rd surprise was that there were no cutouts on the sides for power and volume up/down. I think I actually like this, as the leather is marked with the button positions and is soft enough that you can get the buttons to do what you want without *mashing* the leather. The top is wide open so you can slip the phone in the case, and the bottom has cutouts for the S-Pen, Mic, and USB port.

Top opening:

DSCF1223.JPG

Bottom:

DSCF1225.JPG

Right Side (Power):

DSCF1229.JPG

Left Side (Volume):

DSCF1231.JPG

Inside Flap:

DSCF1232.JPG

As you can see from the last picture, there's a full-size hole for the earpiece and front-facing camera. The rear of the case also has cut-outs for the camera/flash and speaker. both are proportional and not overly large.

4) Summary

So, do I think it was worth $50 (by the time shipping was involved)? Yes. I think this is very much so a world of 'you get what you pay for', and I think this case is a well crafted, quality leather product. I'd expect to pay this much or more for a leather wallet, so I have no qualms about the price of this cover. The only trepidation I have is the credit card holder inside the front flap. I will never put any cards in it, and I would prefer the case not to have it (as was depicted in the images on their website), but it's not a deal breaker. The leather itself is smooth (non-grain) and evenly dyed, with no visible imperfections (barbed wire scars, dimples, etc.). It is genuine leather, not faux leather or any other synthetic fabric. Overall it does add appx. half-again the thickness of the phone, but it's not unmanageable.

Overall rating: 8/10 - ********_ _ - 2 Stars off for the credit card thing inside the front flap and not being shipped in a cardboard box for a bit more protection.
    ColSaulTigh

Thanks for the review. It's a really good one and very useful. My only concern is that the phone seems could slip out from the top easily. Am I right?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

It doesn't slip out the top, but when you plug the charger in from the bottom, it does 'push' out the top a bit. A quick push back into the case, and all is good.

i really like the look of this case and the design, but....where do you put cash????

This case isn't the wallet one. This is just a phone case. They make a wallet version. As I posted in my review, I was surprised it had the credit card slots, as the original pictures on the website didn't show this.

As a follow-up, here are a few quick observations:

1) With the cover open and flipped around the back, the speaker is VERY DIFFICULT to hear. I've missed calls because I didn't hear the ringer.

2) Same problem with it sitting flat on a surface (like a desktop). The leather is so smooth it effectively blocks sound from the speaker. I find myself leaning it up on a pen or something just so there's an air pocket underneath.

3) It slips very easily into my pocket. I thought this was going to be an issue, but it's very smooth and slides nicely into my front pocket.

That's it for now - will report back as more questions pop up and/or I have more observations to post.
    3 Weeks Later....

So far, so good!

I get a lot of compliments on the case - it really does look very nice!

No issues regarding durability, wearability, etc. It's not getting dirty from handling, it's not scratched up (so far), and there are no places where the leather is separating, peeling, or otherwise failing.

Bottom line, I like it! Money well spent!