a100 and windows 8

Search This thread

pintek

May 10, 2011
whaaaaa? windows 8 on the a100 or being able to use mtp/mass storage with windows 8? if its the first i want to say HA good luck with that be easier to compile ubuntu 12 arm compared to any windows os. If its the second well i have no clue.

Personally if i was gonna put windows 8 on a acer tablet i'd done it with the w500 which runs windows7 natively an has a keyboard dock (that will never mount right to a a100/a500 because its a normal usb port on the bottom of the w500 >.>)

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
No, not possible. No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets; guaranteed.

If you are speaking the Acer A100 tablet ONLY I would say yep you are correct. However you are saying "No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets" which is false. Yes you will be able to have an ARM device with Windows 8 and Android in a dual boot. Windows 8 is being writen for both x86 and ARM and manufacturers like Asus have already talked about releasing a dual boot.

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
If you are speaking the Acer A100 tablet ONLY I would say yep you are correct. However you are saying "No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets" which is false. Yes you will be able to have an ARM device with Windows 8 and Android in a dual boot. Windows 8 is being writen for both x86 and ARM and manufacturers like Asus have already talked about releasing a dual boot.

Microsoft just aren't going to allow that... They have VERY strict requirements for the ARM version of Windows 8, one of which is a tightly locked and sealed bootloader and NO dual booting capability.

Plus, no existing tablets on the market meet the spec requirements for resolution or available RAM.

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Microsoft just aren't going to allow that... They have VERY strict requirements for the ARM version of Windows 8, one of which is a tightly locked and sealed bootloader and NO dual booting capability.

Plus, no existing tablets on the market meet the spec requirements for resolution or available RAM.

Thanks, and my previous point still stands true. You are too vague most of the time in your responses and it leads to miss informed people. It also causes you to give responses that may have some validity, but are wrong because you don't properly address what you wish to point out.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
I wont say it'll never happen, I'll say its extremely unlikely, for a few reasons i can see.

Devs needed to work on getting w8 working on a tegra2 anything, let alone an a100

W8 itself being modified to run on the a100 specifically, there is next to no dev support for this device for android let alone another os.

Did I mention devs needed to do this stuff?

IMO i wouldn't wait on this, its extremely unrealistic to expect. But I could be wrong, it happens quite often.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2