LG G Pad or Xperia Tablet Z?

Search This thread

eliccs

Feb 3, 2012
Wuhan
weibo.com
I originally wanted to buy the g pad,but I find the Xperia Tablet Z is much cheaper than before,now I am hesitant。。

Sent from my iPod touch 5 using Tapatalk

I originally wanted to buy the g pad,but I find the Xperia Tablet Z is much cheaper than before,now I am hesitant。。

Between the two the biggest consideration for me would be the size. I lusted after the Z when it first came out, but I was hesitant due to the price. But really I did not want a tablet that large. If I did then the more likely choice for me would have been the Note 10.1 2014. When the G Pad was announced it was THE perfect form factor for me - the biggest screen possible (for my eyes) in a form factor which can still fit in a jacket or even trouser (cargo pants) pocket. The G Pad is a decent enough machine, although not without faults, but there is also nothing quite like it to met my needs. I've had mine for about a month. It does everything I need it to. BTW, as I also have Galaxy Note phablet something like the Nexus 7 would simply not be a big enough leap in screen size, but 10" is too much for my pockets.

There is a brand new and quite detailed/technical review of the G Pad here....

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-LG-G-Pad-8-3-Tablet.108906.0.html

I've only skimmed the article, but the bits I read seem quite accurate and honest.

Mixinitup4Christ

Jun 23, 2013
Grand Prairie, TX

I have quite enjoyed the size of my G Pad. I had an original Galaxy Tab 10.1, and then tried out a Nexus 7 (2013) for a while. Size and handling, I like the G Pad the best, it is not too small to remotely control my desktop and not too big to hold for a few hours while reading a book. On technical issues the field skews some, as the Nexus kicks butt in screen clarity and brightness. I couldn't really tell a difference in processing speed between my Nexus 7 and G Pad. I have the GPE verision which is nice because it has 4.4, however it is missing some features like the IR blaster.

I'm not sure how the Xperia stacks up to the others, but I don't think I will ever own a 10in tablet again, I'll stick to 8in and a laptop.

vatis24

May 31, 2010
Nicosia
I love the size of G pad , really i cant go back to 7 '' and 10 '' for my daily usage.
Very portable with very nice big screen , all the money !

xdapao3

Oct 31, 2008

AVOID the Xperia Tablet Z!!

I bought it one soon after it came out thinking I had finally found the perfect 10" tablet...

Yeah, it was extremely light (the lightest at the time), had a nice rubberized/soft touch back (HATE metal cases), an FHD display, 2GB RAM and it was pretty fast... BUT it has a F-ing STUPID plastic film screen-protector (the same kind people used to put on the screen before there was good scratch resistant glass) which is part of the design and makes the display hard to swipe onto (it's not as "slick" as glass), very scratch-prone, it is very reflective and the worst part is that if you remove it the glass has not an oleophobic treatment so it will get smudged very easily and is hard to clean. UNBELIEVABLE...
And NONE of the reviews of the so-called "tech-media" or the YouTube "tech" channels mentioned it!!

I took it back for a refund after a couple of days and resumed my quest for a good 10" tablet for me (a quest which is still ongoing as I haven't found one yet and am using the G Pad which, while very good, is not a 10" tablet which is the size I would really want).

eliccs

Feb 3, 2012
Wuhan
weibo.com
AVOID the Xperia Tablet Z!!

I bought it one soon after it came out thinking I had finally found the perfect 10" tablet...

Yeah, it was extremely light (the lightest at the time), had a nice rubberized/soft touch back (HATE metal cases), an FHD display, 2GB RAM and it was pretty fast... BUT it has a F-ing STUPID plastic film screen-protector (the same kind people used to put on the screen before there was good scratch resistant glass) which is part of the design and makes the display hard to swipe onto (it's not as "slick" as glass), very scratch-prone, it is very reflective and the worst part is that if you remove it the glass has not an oleophobic treatment so it will get smudged very easily and is hard to clean. UNBELIEVABLE...
And NONE of the reviews of the so-called "tech-media" or the YouTube "tech" channels mentioned it!!

I took it back for a refund after a couple of days and resumed my quest for a good 10" tablet for me (a quest which is still ongoing as I haven't found one yet and am using the G Pad which, while very good, is not a 10" tablet which is the size I would really want).

I can imagine these..Mabye you can wash it:laugh:

eliccs

Feb 3, 2012
Wuhan
weibo.com
Between the two the biggest consideration for me would be the size. I lusted after the Z when it first came out, but I was hesitant due to the price. But really I did not want a tablet that large. If I did then the more likely choice for me would have been the Note 10.1 2014. When the G Pad was announced it was THE perfect form factor for me - the biggest screen possible (for my eyes) in a form factor which can still fit in a jacket or even trouser (cargo pants) pocket. The G Pad is a decent enough machine, although not without faults, but there is also nothing quite like it to met my needs. I've had mine for about a month. It does everything I need it to. BTW, as I also have Galaxy Note phablet something like the Nexus 7 would simply not be a big enough leap in screen size, but 10" is too much for my pockets.

There is a brand new and quite detailed/technical review of the G Pad here....

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-LG-G-Pad-8-3-Tablet.108906.0.html

I've only skimmed the article, but the bits I read seem quite accurate and honest.

Yes,the size of g pad is perfect,maybe most of you gays choose the g pad because of the size

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
For me, the perfect size for a tablet is probably 8.9", but with the same narrow bezel as the G Pad 8.3. My Nook HD+ looks like a monster next to the G Pad, but it's mostly due to the enormous bezel rather than the screen. Until such a device appears, though, the G Pad is a great option!

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
For me, the perfect size for a tablet is probably 8.9", but with the same narrow bezel as the G Pad 8.3. My Nook HD+ looks like a monster next to the G Pad, but it's mostly due to the enormous bezel rather than the screen. Until such a device appears, though, the G Pad is a great option!

I was considering the Kindle HDX 8.9
Felt it in store it is light brilliant screen and superb battery life.
If there was a way to hack it to run stock android I would sell my GPad for it. It is a bit larger but still less than a pound and much brighter higher res screen with close to double the battery life.

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
I was considering the Kindle HDX 8.9
Felt it in store it is light brilliant screen and superb battery life.
If there was a way to hack it to run stock android I would sell my GPad for it. It is a bit larger but still less than a pound and much brighter higher res screen with close to double the battery life.

Yup, I totally agree, though only if there was an AOSP-based ROM that was absolutely rock solid. One of the reasons I went with the GPE over the LGE with something like CM11 is that in the past I've found custom ROMs to be less stable than I want out of a daily driver even well into their maturity cycle. I know that may not reflect others' experiences, but it is the experience I've had across a number of devices (Nook Color, HP Touchpad, Nook HD+).