[App] MiniSMS Server v0.7Beta (11th March 2010)

Search This thread

mohitsapru

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 8, 2008
"India"
This is a brainchild of samvds, developed by me.
The idea behind this app is to have a remote access over your SMS.

What is it?
A mini custom webserver that runs on your device!! which allows you to access all your contacts over internet:cool:. and story doesn't stop here, you can send sms to selected contact from the rendered webpage. The SMS will be sent through your mobile:)
From v0.4 you can now fetch the SMS from your device to the webpage.
So now read and write both are possible ;)

Use:
You can access your contacts over the Internet, send messages to them remotely from your mobile.
In case you forget your mobile at home and app is not running:eek: Don't worry just send "Start Server" from someones mobile and it will respond to your command:cool: So then just access the website and all your contacts are in front of you and the Power to SMS them;).
Worried about your battery. Kill the battery sucker from the webpage:cool:

Ok enough of description now the setup part.
1. Download the cab and install it.
2. Look for SMS Server CP and open it.
3. The app is simple but has some settings, we will now see those.

Port Number: default is 5050, this will be used to connect to your device from internet.

UserName: Password: For setting up this value we need to follow some steps.
Here we are trying to create an entry for our device at www.dyndns.com it is free. Basically whenever we connect to internet the IP will change so we need to check every time what the IP is, so this step can be avoided by using this service. Just register a hostname for your device and access your device using this hostname, so no need to remember/find the IP of your device.
The username/password field are the one which you would use while creating the account in the dyndns.com

ServerName: here fill the domain name which you have opted for. Dont use Http just the domain name.

CurrentIP: buggy but will display your device IP(sometimes)

After this is setup
1.Click Menu and then Click Save.
2.Click Update HTML, this will generate the HTML which will be hosted on your device, and can be accessed through internet.
3.RemoteActivation is for enabling the Remote starting of server. Enabling it will allow you to start the server by sending an SMS having "Start Server" command. in either case you will receive the message back notifying you about the status.
4. In case you want to manually test/start it first click Update IP. this should be done when you have registerd a hostname on dyndns.com.
5. Click Start server.

How to access the webpage.
Open your fav browser. write the hostname eg. http://servermohit.gotdns.org:5050
the 5050 is the port number which you have set up for connectivity at control panel.
If the server is running and every thing is fine you should see a webpage, it will have a dropdown containing all your contacts and a text field you can manually enter some number or just choose the contact and its number will be displayed in the textbox.
enter some sms text and click send, the page will show the status in case message sending was a success then success will be displayed else an Error. In case you want to stop the server click Stop Server this should kill the server running in your device.

DYNDNS.COM
register for an account.
Goto my services and choose add hostname under Host services
Enter a desired hostname with service type category as Host with ip address. provide any random IP address, this will be updated by the app later. refer the attachments also.

This is still under testing and may not work as expected... There is lot to be done.

Read Carefully before trying.

Change Log

V 0.2b
1. Web page modified.
2. Login page added(ur dyndns account details)
3. Can request for delivery report
4. Will show the text limit on webpage.
5. option added to update ip after every x mins will happen only when server is running.

V 0.3b Fixed
1. Server status on the same page, no need to go back and forth.
2. Some bug fixes.
3. Sent items SMS will be saved with the name of the contact.
4. IP will be updated only when the IP has changed. Update time can be set from 1-300 mins.
FIXED: a condition in v0.3b where message contained "&" might result in unknown results

v0.4b
1. Option added to view the sms from any folder in your device.
2. Faster.

v0.5b
1. Modified the Webpage, added button to clear the textbox
smsserverhtml.jpg

2. Network connection logic modified.
3. Less buffer errors.

v0.6b
1. Added support for utf-8 encoding characters.
2. IP panel in control center will show the updated IP

v0.7b(Fixed remote start)
1. Save menu will save the Settings and generate the HTML, removed Update HTML menu.
2. Removed UpdateIP menu, start server will take care of doing that now.
3. HTML page size reduced.
4. Option to send messages to multiple users.(To select Keep CTRL pressed)
5. IP Update will not connect to internet if server is not running.

Note: u need to set up every detail again in control panel and then save.

SUPPORT LATE NIGHTS- DONATE!

Attachments

• dyndns.JPG
    dyndns.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,527
  • dyndns2.JPG
    dyndns2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,502
  • Hostservice.JPG
    Hostservice.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,276
  • cp.JPG
    cp.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,567
  • cp2.JPG
    cp2.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,325
Last edited:
Reactions: erktheerk

br3nt

Jul 23, 2008
simply brilliant! what else can I say :p

got a question about DynDNS - do you have to manually update the IP or will the server be able to inform DynDNS about the current ip (I believe you'll be using the usual network connection, gsm/3g/hsdpa? hence when you start the server you probably will have a new IP from provider)
also, will you be able to use no-ip.com instead?

nice work! :D

mohitsapru

May 8, 2008
"India"
simply brilliant! what else can I say :p

got a question about DynDNS - do you have to manually update the IP or will the server be able to inform DynDNS about the current ip (I believe you'll be using the usual network connection, gsm/3g/hsdpa? hence when you start the server you probably will have a new IP from provider)
also, will you be able to use no-ip.com instead?

nice work! :D

Thanks br3nt,
as i told lots to be done.
when we start the server through SMS command, it will first update the IP and then start the server. In case you are doing it manually then you have to choose the option to update IP

no we cant use No-ip for now, since i got the url update command for dyndns first so i used it.

samvds

Feb 5, 2004
Allright!

Mohit,

Thanks for developing this! It's better than I suggested you :)
But, some more suggestion...

1. Is it possible to store the message that is sent with the full contact-name and not only the number?
2. Can you please create a small login-page, where you need to enter a password, before listing up all contacts? For security this would be better that not everyone can send messages over my phone :)
3. Is it possible to create a checkbox where I can check "Request message delivery notification"? For me, this may be check always...
4. Keep up the great work! :)

Sam

clypse2

Dec 23, 2009
Nice, but not working with T-Mobile Germany

Nice app, unfortunately this app is not working with T-Mobile Germany :(, maybe the NAT firewall they use is blocking this.
With WLAN everything is fine so no configuration error.

-------------------
HTC HD2
Stock ROM 1.66.407.1 GER
Radio 2.08.50.08_2

samvds

Feb 5, 2004
My first Exception:

MiniSMSServer.exe
ArgumentOutOfRangeException
bij System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
bij MiniSMSServer.MiniSMSServer.StartListen()

Sam

mohitsapru

May 8, 2008
"India"
Mohit,

Thanks for developing this! It's better than I suggested you :)
But, some more suggestion...

1. Is it possible to store the message that is sent with the full contact-name and not only the number?
2. Can you please create a small login-page, where you need to enter a password, before listing up all contacts? For security this would be better that not everyone can send messages over my phone :)
3. Is it possible to create a checkbox where I can check "Request message delivery notification"? For me, this may be check always...
4. Keep up the great work! :)

Sam

Thanks sam, but still idea was yours, any ways as i said lots of improvement is possible. i posted just to check the reaction and to know what problems can come up.
reg ur suggestions yes it should save with contact name but there seems to be some problem because if you open the sent message it will show the full contact name but outside it just displays the phonenumber...
and i will look into the other suggestions also, infact the second one i already have implemented for me.... but under testing.

also i have one log file getting generated with all the information, like which IP got connected and all that stuff in case you may want to see who tried to connect to your device

Last edited:

samvds

Feb 5, 2004
Hi,

Just an overview of my test-results...

1. Is it possible to store the message that is sent with the full contact-name and not only the number? (Maybe try this: "Contactname" <+000000000>)

4. Maybe it's better to move to button "Stop server" on the webpage to another location (or ask for confirmation)... When you are in a hurry, you could click at the wrong button and your server is stopped.

5. Is it possible to send "long messages"? I mean, more than 160 characters? When I sent one on the page, it says "Succes", but only 160 characters of my text are sent. If it's not possible, a small javascript on the HTML-page that indicates the length would be nice.

6. Update the IP-address every x minutes.

Sam

Last edited:

mohitsapru

May 8, 2008
"India"
Hi,

Just an overview of my test-results...

1. Is it possible to store the message that is sent with the full contact-name and not only the number? (Maybe try this: "Contactname" <+000000000>)

4. Maybe it's better to move to button "Stop server" on the webpage to another location (or ask for confirmation)... When you are in a hurry, you could click at the wrong button and your server is stopped.

5. Is it possible to send "long messages"? I mean, more than 160 characters? When I sent one on the page, it says "Succes", but only 160 characters of my text are sent. If it's not possible, a small javascript on the HTML-page that indicates the length would be nice.

6. Update the IP-address every x minutes.

Sam

Hi sam,
all your suggestion are now implimented except the first one.... will update in next half hour... let me know if it is fine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a brainchild of samvds, developed by me.
    The idea behind this app is to have a remote access over your SMS.

What is it?
    A mini custom webserver that runs on your device!! which allows you to access all your contacts over internet:cool:. and story doesn't stop here, you can send sms to selected contact from the rendered webpage. The SMS will be sent through your mobile:)
    From v0.4 you can now fetch the SMS from your device to the webpage.
    So now read and write both are possible ;)

Use:
    You can access your contacts over the Internet, send messages to them remotely from your mobile.
    In case you forget your mobile at home and app is not running:eek: Don't worry just send "Start Server" from someones mobile and it will respond to your command:cool: So then just access the website and all your contacts are in front of you and the Power to SMS them;).
    Worried about your battery. Kill the battery sucker from the webpage:cool:

Ok enough of description now the setup part.
    1. Download the cab and install it.
    2. Look for SMS Server CP and open it.
    3. The app is simple but has some settings, we will now see those.

Port Number: default is 5050, this will be used to connect to your device from internet.

UserName: Password: For setting up this value we need to follow some steps.
    Here we are trying to create an entry for our device at www.dyndns.com it is free. Basically whenever we connect to internet the IP will change so we need to check every time what the IP is, so this step can be avoided by using this service. Just register a hostname for your device and access your device using this hostname, so no need to remember/find the IP of your device.
    The username/password field are the one which you would use while creating the account in the dyndns.com

ServerName: here fill the domain name which you have opted for. Dont use Http just the domain name.

CurrentIP: buggy but will display your device IP(sometimes)

After this is setup
    1.Click Menu and then Click Save.
    2.Click Update HTML, this will generate the HTML which will be hosted on your device, and can be accessed through internet.
    3.RemoteActivation is for enabling the Remote starting of server. Enabling it will allow you to start the server by sending an SMS having "Start Server" command. in either case you will receive the message back notifying you about the status.
    4. In case you want to manually test/start it first click Update IP. this should be done when you have registerd a hostname on dyndns.com.
    5. Click Start server.

How to access the webpage.
    Open your fav browser. write the hostname eg. http://servermohit.gotdns.org:5050
    the 5050 is the port number which you have set up for connectivity at control panel.
    If the server is running and every thing is fine you should see a webpage, it will have a dropdown containing all your contacts and a text field you can manually enter some number or just choose the contact and its number will be displayed in the textbox.
    enter some sms text and click send, the page will show the status in case message sending was a success then success will be displayed else an Error. In case you want to stop the server click Stop Server this should kill the server running in your device.

DYNDNS.COM
    register for an account.
    Goto my services and choose add hostname under Host services
    Enter a desired hostname with service type category as Host with ip address. provide any random IP address, this will be updated by the app later. refer the attachments also.

This is still under testing and may not work as expected... There is lot to be done.

Read Carefully before trying.

Change Log

V 0.2b
    1. Web page modified.
    2. Login page added(ur dyndns account details)
    3. Can request for delivery report
    4. Will show the text limit on webpage.
    5. option added to update ip after every x mins will happen only when server is running.

V 0.3b Fixed
    1. Server status on the same page, no need to go back and forth.
    2. Some bug fixes.
    3. Sent items SMS will be saved with the name of the contact.
    4. IP will be updated only when the IP has changed. Update time can be set from 1-300 mins.
    FIXED: a condition in v0.3b where message contained "&" might result in unknown results

v0.4b
    1. Option added to view the sms from any folder in your device.
    2. Faster.

v0.5b
    1. Modified the Webpage, added button to clear the textbox
    smsserverhtml.jpg

2. Network connection logic modified.
    3. Less buffer errors.

v0.6b
    1. Added support for utf-8 encoding characters.
    2. IP panel in control center will show the updated IP

v0.7b(Fixed remote start)
    1. Save menu will save the Settings and generate the HTML, removed Update HTML menu.
    2. Removed UpdateIP menu, start server will take care of doing that now.
    3. HTML page size reduced.
    4. Option to send messages to multiple users.(To select Keep CTRL pressed)
    5. IP Update will not connect to internet if server is not running.

Note: u need to set up every detail again in control panel and then save.

SUPPORT LATE NIGHTS- DONATE!