Recent iPhone users who migrated to the GS3 - Favorite Features?

Search This thread

Sianspheric

Sep 21, 2012
Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

ANYWAYYYYS....things I love since I made the switch:

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.

Last edited:

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
Don't forget you can play flash movies on net

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
NYC-USA
Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.

I am like you; long time iPhone user. then my wife upgrade her old iPhone to Galaxy S3 (for free), but she did not like it too much, so I offered my iPhone 4S switch :p:cyclops:, I still love my iPhone, but I don't know I wanted something different, and I am glad that I did switch with my wife. What I really like about Andorid phones is abilitity to do everything you wish, not like closed guarded iPhone OS thingy to deal here. S3 is a bit laggy because of TouchWiz, but once JB hits, I am sure this Galaxy S3 will be flying....

Reactions: UndisputedGuy

dawheat

Sep 25, 2012
Just switched a couple weeks ago (iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4S) to the S3 - rooted and loaded a lightweight ROM.

Love it so far and very happy with the switch:
- took a while to find a browser app I like that 'feels' like Safari. I use Boat browser since I like a bookmarks link to be in the bottom toolbar (instead of clicking a button, then bookmarks like Chrome).
- Love the external SD card (64GB) + ability to play pretty much any video format I have using MX Player Pro. Instead of tediously converting to MP4s, I just load my original files and they look great in HD. Space is no concern either now.
- Love the custom launchers to customize the home screens exactly the way I want (using Nova Prime)
- Like the use of widgets
- Able to re-use my iTunes playlists and organization using iSyncr. Nice I can use one program to manage all my ipods and phone.
- Speed of everything (apps, etc) is great
- Love the much larger real estate - can no longer use my wife's iPhone 5 comfortably

Negs:
- battery life is noticeably inferior to the iPhone 4s and 5. Yes it has a larger battery and I have most power features on, but over 50% of my draw is from the screen. Totally makes sense, but I have to be more aware of where the battery is in the afternoon and re-charge it to avoid running out at night.
- Related to the above, but to avoid my battery dying to quickly, I can't put brightness as high as I'd ideally like. It's fine but not my first choice.
- Also related, auto-brightness doesn't work as well as I'd like
- basic tasks sometimes take extra clicks compared to the iPhone. Making a call and such feel like I'm making a couple extra clicks all the time compared to the simplicity of the iPhone.
- Hard closing apps is annoying vs. the iPhone. I know you don't "have" to, but I like doing it (OCC) and the Android method annoys me

Overall I'm very glad I switched and will likely remain an Android guy for a while.

jasvncnt1

Dec 8, 2011
Union NJ
- basic tasks sometimes take extra clicks compared to the iPhone. Making a call and such feel like I'm making a couple extra clicks all the time compared to the simplicity of the iPhone.

Not sure if this will help..but you can put short cuts on your screen for direct contacts. I have a few set for the people I call most frequently.

Sianspheric

Sep 21, 2012
Just switched a couple weeks ago (iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4S) to the S3 - rooted and loaded a lightweight ROM.

Love it so far and very happy with the switch:
- took a while to find a browser app I like that 'feels' like Safari. I use Boat browser since I like a bookmarks link to be in the bottom toolbar (instead of clicking a button, then bookmarks like Chrome).
- Love the external SD card (64GB) + ability to play pretty much any video format I have using MX Player Pro. Instead of tediously converting to MP4s, I just load my original files and they look great in HD. Space is no concern either now.
- Love the custom launchers to customize the home screens exactly the way I want (using Nova Prime)
- Like the use of widgets
- Able to re-use my iTunes playlists and organization using iSyncr. Nice I can use one program to manage all my ipods and phone.
- Speed of everything (apps, etc) is great
- Love the much larger real estate - can no longer use my wife's iPhone 5 comfortably

Negs:
- battery life is noticeably inferior to the iPhone 4s and 5. Yes it has a larger battery and I have most power features on, but over 50% of my draw is from the screen. Totally makes sense, but I have to be more aware of where the battery is in the afternoon and re-charge it to avoid running out at night.
- Related to the above, but to avoid my battery dying to quickly, I can't put brightness as high as I'd ideally like. It's fine but not my first choice.
- Also related, auto-brightness doesn't work as well as I'd like
- Hard closing apps is annoying vs. the iPhone. I know you don't "have" to, but I like doing it (OCC) and the Android method annoys me

Overall I'm very glad I switched and will likely remain an Android guy for a while.

Agree with most those points.

I'm going to try out the Boat browser, thanks for mentioning that, I also do miss the quick bookmark tabs on the bottom like I had in Safari. I think the bottom loading bookmarks is better since you dont have to do two handled tapping to get to them, the little things that make you miss the smaller size of iPhone is having to reach for top loading bookmarks.

ps. highly recommend you check out "Go Power Master" for the battery issues like you mentioned. As I mentioned in my first post, If you set the settings up properly you can get more battery life out of the GS3 by having it set to shut down certain battery hog features when youd don't need em.

Vanillamarble

Oct 2, 2012
Switched from a 3GS,and I love my new GS3. My Galaxy certainly feels a lot faster (I completely turned animations off in Nova and developer options, my phone is a monster now), I love the customization, and I like how it's open source.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Ivizoid

Aug 10, 2010
Orange County
I actually returned my iPhone 5 for the S3. Mainly for the iOS still being the same as always. Nothing new, on this I could just flash roms for days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

foboi1122

Dec 6, 2011
I went from a iphone 4s to a SG3 and here's what I think

Pros:
The phone mainly allows me to express my inner nerd much better.
-Networking apps: Network scanner , nmap, wifi analyzer, mac changer, SSH, free hotspot (most of these are after root though)
-Video Playback: they don't have to be apple's nazi formats
-Customization: I love skinning my phone
-Tasker: just hands down awesome
-Google Navigation is also great

Cons:
-Iphone apps crash/freeze less
-Iphone uses less clicks to get to what I need. Example: if I want to call a number I found from yelp, I need to hit the phone number, then I need to press call on the phone app where as Iphone calls directly by pressing a number on yelp.
-Battery life is not as good on the SG3, like many have noticed.
-Texting is not as nice on the SG3: iMessage was great for group texts, esp when all my friends have iphones. Also I dislike that the two text apps I've tried both cover up my conversation when I turn my phone to landscape mode. It only shows my text typing box and they keyboard. I really liked that the ios message app shows a bit of your conversation however you type. Doe anyone know how to do this on the SG3?
-My iphone was compatible with my car's digital display, but the SG3 is not.

rob_rector

Aug 7, 2010
Not having to stand in line all day to get one ... seriously though, I personally like the screen size. Is that even a feature?

snekiam

Oct 9, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
Screened size, haptic feedback, removable battery, upgradeable storage uses usb instead of 30 pin or lightening, rootable from the day I got it (thanks XDA!) as oppose to weeks or months for a jailbreak.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Sianspheric

Sep 21, 2012
you guys got most the pros and cons pretty much right.

I think having had an iPhone for many years and now having a top-quality Android device, you really get to see that there are many pretty advantages to each device. I dont think the Apple fanboys or the "Fandroids" have a perfect case to make for each device. With the GS3 I sacrifice a few things that I loved about iPhone but the things and possibilities I get in return with Android / GS3 kind of blow me away.

but I'm learning there are some shortcuts to some of the "too many clicks" issues:

if you go into Contact and want to call someone quickly, the common gripe is you select a name and instead of it launching a call to that name, you go into the contact details. there are Swipe Left and Swipe Right features in Contacts. Look up a contact and Swipe Right and it should launch straight into a call, Swipe Left and it will start a text to that name.

theraffman

Jul 22, 2011
Battery life depends greatly on the Rom you are running, I get probably 25% better life on black jelly jb than on stock. I average 16hrs up time, 3 hrs screen, 2 hrs talk and a number of other running apps with 10-20% life remaining... depends on signal strength and Wi-Fi connection of course, but that's about my average experience. No fancy mods or anything, just rooted custom debloated Rom.

Ran iPhones from the 2 until the 4, the only thing I miss is pulling out an iPhone at a table with friends and everyone having the exact same phone and feeling cool :p lol. Seriously though, I have gotten the same stability with android that I had with a jailbroken iPhone, better battery life ( was never able to get past 4pm with any iPhone) swap batteries if I need to, micro sd, features years before Apple, features, shortcuts, widgets... the list goes on... for me, android and the sgs3 all the way, and these phones are just going to get better and better, it seems to me that Apple has hit their innovative wall, where as android/Google is just getting started. I can't believe the things that Google and Samsung is working on ie Google glass and the unbreakable/flexible screens and the 100% transparent screens... things that get me pretty excited for the future of these devices.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

Last edited:

mindracer

May 30, 2011
Montréal

Really, I either have a direct contact on my screen or in the phone book in a second, and I also activated the GS III feature/gesture/motion of when you have a contact open and put the phone to your ear, it calls them automatically! I can call someone 5x faster than someone one iphone going through their contacts :p

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va

I think having had an iPhone for many years and now having a top-quality Android device, you really get to see that there are many pretty advantages to each device. I dont think the Apple fanboys or the "Fandroids" have a perfect case to make for each device. With the GS3 I sacrifice a few things that I loved about iPhone but the things and possibilities I get in return with Android / GS3 kind of blow me away.

but I'm learning there are some shortcuts to some of the "too many clicks" issues:

if you go into Contact and want to call someone quickly, the common gripe is you select a name and instead of it launching a call to that name, you go into the contact details. there are Swipe Left and Swipe Right features in Contacts. Look up a contact and Swipe Right and it should launch straight into a call, Swipe Left and it will start a text to that name.

Thanks..I never knew about that shortcut. Just tried it and works very well. Still learning more. Make sure to get the free sg3 users digest from play stores.

wiz4769

Jun 13, 2012
I had a 3gs for a couple years and like most I liked it alot, but the battery ended up going funky and I was out of space. There really are only 2 gripes I have about Android over iphone

First is using it in the car, Iphones/Ipods just work better for this, to be able to just plug into my stereo USB and it charge and play music while showing the song info and being able to control from the radio itself is the biggest thing I miss, so much so I just leave my iPod in the car for my music and dont use the S3...sad...The other thing I miss is Apptrackr ...They have every app there is for iPhones, I have never not been able to find the app I want. The Android underground is lacking on that side of things, the options like blapk and all that is pretty ghetto. Torrents are not that much of a help either. But I suppose this is a whole other thread....I pretty much love everything else and Im glad I switched

The pros out weigh the cons for sure and I will not be going back to Iphone ever. I just hope that the whole car integration thing can be improved so I can ditch the ipod...

markysd

Apr 5, 2012
san diego ca
All the custom stuff on Android... I was a jailbreak junky and android out the box has way more custom.. I still have my iphone 4 jail broken.. I want emojis on my keyboard on my gs3 and iOs apps are more polished but pretty much the same on android some are nice some are crappy like wise on iphone just depends on developer.. IOS got stale for me... IOS feels like it's more for basic user /old people lol

Alaris

May 25, 2012
I use a belkin blue tooth adapter for car audio. The only thing I don't like about the phone is that Google Music won't download to my sd card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

I was gonna wait for the note 2 to be my first Android but it's just to big. The quad core would have been nice though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.

Admittedly, the slowdown and lag with Jellybean isn't as a common issue, but if you have it as I do it is very annoying. I will probably root after the warranty expires and possibly and hopefully that will fix the heat and slight lag issue.

Root makes everything better. ;)

Seriously. :D
    I had an iPhone since 2007. In the beginning, and up until recently they were amazing. I feel like every iteration since the iPhone 4 has gotten less and less innovative. The S3 has some amazing features and the fact that you can tweak it in every direction is pretty great. Android was new and weird at first coming from iOS but now that I'm more comfortable, its amazing.
    My favorite features of the S3 over iPhone 5:

Larger Screen:

This is a nice feature compared to the tiny iPhone 5 screen. This was one of the main reasons why I made the switch.

Colored LED Notifications:

This is a nice feature which doesn't exist on the iPhone 5. With the ability to customize the colors for of the different app notifications is a treat.

Removable Back Cover:

How nice it is to be able to swap/replace the battery with ease compared to the iPhone 5. Not to mention the difference in price replacing the back cover on each device.

Micro-USB vs. Apple proprietary cable:

Nuff said.

I could go on and on and on but since this is my first post on this forum, I will keep it short and sweet. ;)

-slimshotty