Best Micro SD Card/Class for ICS?

Search This thread

lynkdead

Aug 16, 2010
I'm looking at installing one of the ICS ROMs on my N1 pretty soon, but my current Micro SD card is a bit small and I want one that is fast and with a lot of storage.

My question is mainly in regards to Class. I know most people recommend Class 10 for everything, but I read something recently that was suggesting that Class 10 is best only for sequential file reads, and that if you wanted better Random Access time you'd want a lower Class card.

What Class works best for running ICS and apps from the SD card in general?

cpm

Jan 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I have a class 10 Lexar 32 GB myself, got it on Amazon during a sale. I run DK's BCM CM9. Everything is running nice and smooth for me.

After reading many threads I believe that Class 6 might be the sweet spot. Also be careful which brand. Shortlist a few cards and research them. Sandisk are probably one of the best. Personally I'm a fan of Kingston. There's also a good Amazon budget class 10 32GB that is said to work very well.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA

Reactions: lynkdead

lynkdead

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks, I checked out some benchmarks and the Lexar 32gb does seem to score consistently high on nearly everything (never top, but near the top more often than anything else). If I can't get some more definite answers it's likely what I'll go with if I can find it at a good price.

G

GuestX0019

Brand name is important, but some have to watch price. I had an A-Data class 6 that did fairly well, but not always 6mb. I now have an Amazon Basic 16gb/class 10. No name, but good reviews and is working fine. Have gotten up to 13mb on occassion. Good price.

ken

lynkdead

Aug 16, 2010
Found this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15269669#post15269669

The info and benchmarks there appear to be saying that the Sandisk 32gb Class 4 is the best for running apps off the SD card, as it has the highest random access time. Class 10 is better for people doing larger file transfers. That said, the feedback I've seen seems to indicate that in reality there isn't that huge of a difference. I think I'll end up going with the Sandisk Class 4; if there is lag I would prefer it to be during large transfers than day-to-day operation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a class 10 Lexar 32 GB myself, got it on Amazon during a sale. I run DK's BCM CM9. Everything is running nice and smooth for me.

After reading many threads I believe that Class 6 might be the sweet spot. Also be careful which brand. Shortlist a few cards and research them. Sandisk are probably one of the best. Personally I'm a fan of Kingston. There's also a good Amazon budget class 10 32GB that is said to work very well.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA