[Q] Acer A700 system bar missing

Search This thread

easyreble

Aug 19, 2014
I bought an Acer A700 tablet off ebay, was supposed to be new unused condition. Booted it up and it had no system bar at bottom of page. That means you can't get out of any app you have to reboot, useless. Thru reading on site and exploring this tab i found out it has super user installed on it and on bootup in the left hand corner it reads "boot loader ICS-MRI 7173de1 (unlock mode)" every thing on the tablet seems to work except no navigation bar, no circle in center, and no status info no bar at all full screen. I have played with this thing been on Acer chat and they say hard ware failure. That is before i new it was rooted, i guess that is the reason the update he wanted me to try did not work. I don't know if i try a new OS system if that will even work. I am 68 years old and this is my first android tablet, new ground for me. Most every thing i read is above my knowledge, would appreciate any advice i might just try it. thanks ahead of time

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I bought an Acer A700 tablet off ebay, was supposed to be new unused condition. Booted it up and it had no system bar at bottom of page. That means you can't get out of any app you have to reboot, useless. Thru reading on site and exploring this tab i found out it has super user installed on it and on bootup in the left hand corner it reads "boot loader ICS-MRI 7173de1 (unlock mode)" every thing on the tablet seems to work except no navigation bar, no circle in center, and no status info no bar at all full screen. I have played with this thing been on Acer chat and they say hard ware failure. That is before i new it was rooted, i guess that is the reason the update he wanted me to try did not work. I don't know if i try a new OS system if that will even work. I am 68 years old and this is my first android tablet, new ground for me. Most every thing i read is above my knowledge, would appreciate any advice i might just try it. thanks ahead of time

Ok, so whoever you bought it from, told you an outright lie. The bootloader is unlocked, and, it most likely has a custom OS installed on it. You can check this by going into "Settings" "About Tablet" and seeing what is installed on it.

Or,

The previous owner had root access (obviously) and went mucking around with the SystemUI.apk and goobered something up (most likely). In fact, I would guess he had CM installed and didn't like the way the nav icons were (in the center) and tried doing something about it by modifying files he had no idea of what to do.

The most simple fix, would just be to install a fresh version of either a custom ROM, or, revert it back to a stock factory ROM. Both of which are relatively easy to do.

MD

EDIT: Other things to look for now that I think about it. Check your applications and see if any of the following are installed.

Launcher (Nova, Go, etc) These sometimes have an option to disable the system bar (Nav Bar).
ExPosed Installer - This allows loading of custom exposed frameworks mods that several have the option to disable the System Bar (nav bar)
Any Nav Bar/System Bar "Hide" application. These at one time were useful to open more display real estate for games. (not many use them anymore)

Those applications you can safely uninstall through Settings/Applications, then reboot.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Will wait till you tell us which OS is installed (CM; Cyanogen Mod, PA; Paranoid Android, etc)

Oh, and one more thing. Stop talking to those folks on Acer Chat. This is a software issue, and not a Hardware issue. This I can promise.

Last edited:
Reactions: easyreble

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Is there a demo mode on this acer A700 and if so where to look thanks

"Demo" mode, is not a configurable option on most devices. In reality, it is a custom software from Acer that is installed for Store Display purposes. Several items have been left out of the build, specifically to prevent casual customers from mucking things up.

This is generally fixed by installing a full ROM.

MD

Reactions: easyreble

easyreble

Aug 19, 2014
Ok, so whoever you bought it from, told you an outright lie. The bootloader is unlocked, and, it most likely has a custom OS installed on it. You can check this by going into "Settings" "About Tablet" and seeing what is installed on it.

Or,

The previous owner had root access (obviously) and went mucking around with the SystemUI.apk and goobered something up (most likely). In fact, I would guess he had CM installed and didn't like the way the nav icons were (in the center) and tried doing something about it by modifying files he had no idea of what to do.

The most simple fix, would just be to install a fresh version of either a custom ROM, or, revert it back to a stock factory ROM. Both of which are relatively easy to do.

MD

EDIT: Other things to look for now that I think about it. Check your applications and see if any of the following are installed.

Launcher (Nova, Go, etc) These sometimes have an option to disable the system bar (Nav Bar).
ExPosed Installer - This allows loading of custom exposed frameworks mods that several have the option to disable the System Bar (nav bar)
Any Nav Bar/System Bar "Hide" application. These at one time were useful to open more display real estate for games. (not many use them anymore)

Those applications you can safely uninstall through Settings/Applications, then reboot.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Will wait till you tell us which OS is installed (CM; Cyanogen Mod, PA; Paranoid Android, etc)

Oh, and one more thing. Stop talking to those folks on Acer Chat. This is a software issue, and not a Hardware issue. This I can promise.
You are correct, i will never talk to acer support again. I am getting ready to install a rom if i can figure out which one to start with. It has Adroid Veersion 4.0.4 Kernal version 2.6.39.4+ Boot loader ICS-MRI 7173de1 (unlock mode) It has superuser app installed, I did download an app which gave me a navigation bar that i am using till i can get a rom installed. My problem is that looks like i need to upgrade this 4.0.4 ICS before i can install the up to date roms is that correct. Thanks for helping be get this straight this is a lot for an old man to take in lol.

Reactions: Moscow Desire

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
You are correct, i will never talk to acer support again. I am getting ready to install a rom if i can figure out which one to start with. It has Adroid Veersion 4.0.4 Kernal version 2.6.39.4+ Boot loader ICS-MRI 7173de1 (unlock mode) It has superuser app installed, I did download an app which gave me a navigation bar that i am using till i can get a rom installed. My problem is that looks like i need to upgrade this 4.0.4 ICS before i can install the up to date roms is that correct. Thanks for helping be get this straight this is a lot for an old man to take in lol.

4.0.4 should be the original ICS ROM. If you get it installed, it should get you a locked bootloader, and hopefully offer the upgrade to JellyBean (4.1.x I believe)

Don't worry about age, I'm not far behind you ;)

Have an issue, just PM me and I'll see if I can help.

MD

Last edited:

easyreble

Aug 19, 2014
4.0.4 should be the original ICS ROM. If you get it installed, it should get you a locked bootloader, and hopefully offer the upgrade to JellyBean (4.1.x I believe)

Don't worry about age, I'm not far behind you ;)

Have an issue, just PM me and I'll see if I can help.

MD

No that is what is on my tablet now unlocked and rooted. thanks. i am not clear as to get it upgraded form 4.0.4 and not sure if i need to upgrade to put new rom on it, and which one to work with. I have all my info downloaded on my computer, got to get a cable to work with. Just not sure if i can put the newest version on it without flashing it back to stock locking the boot loader upgrading and then rooting it again just to much i may need to take a break after 3 days of reading, but i have learned a lot. thanks what do u think

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
No that is what is on my tablet now unlocked and rooted. thanks. i am not clear as to get it upgraded form 4.0.4 and not sure if i need to upgrade to put new rom on it, and which one to work with. I have all my info downloaded on my computer, got to get a cable to work with. Just not sure if i can put the newest version on it without flashing it back to stock locking the boot loader upgrading and then rooting it again just to much i may need to take a break after 3 days of reading, but i have learned a lot. thanks what do u think

Well, 4.0.4 ICS (ice cream sandwich) is the OS these tablets were shipped with. Then, it generally, after some days, would upgrade to 4.1x (jelly bean) Gotta love Google and the names.

Now, considering your tablet has SU (Superuser), and and unlocked bootloader, means somebody mucked with it, hence the missing NAV(Sys) bar. Dude undoubtedly mucked around with things.

As I stated before, this can happen due to several different reasons. How it got to that point, who knows.... In testing ROMs, Ive had this issue by installing a different SystemUI.apk that didn't match all the other files, Or, by "dirty" flashing a ROM without wiping /System partition.

Basically, to get it back to a completely stock A700, you will need to install a stock Factory A700 ROM. the 4.0.4 version. Should be able to find one quite easily, but if not, let me know and I'll help.

Basically, you rename that Stock ROM to "update.zip", copy it to ext SD, then boot the tablet holding "VOL+ then PWR and it "should see the zip and start to install it. "Should".

If not, then I can walk you through the steps to install a custom recovery, and we can do it that way. Acer, with JellyBean, actually has a somewhat recovery menu. Not sure if the 4.0.4 has it or not. Been too long. It may just look for "update.zip" and try and install it.

So will just have to see how it plays out.

For my own, I use "fastboot" so install image files to revert back, but that's just me. Also I have an A701, so it wouldn't do you much good ;)

Same hardware so to speak, except for the 3g part and some different files.

MD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Or,

MD

Is there a demo mode on this acer A700 and if so where to look thanks

"Demo" mode, is not a configurable option on most devices. In reality, it is a custom software from Acer that is installed for Store Display purposes. Several items have been left out of the build, specifically to prevent casual customers from mucking things up.

This is generally fixed by installing a full ROM.

MD

Or,

MD