Any Epic users coming over?

Search This thread

pdappcgeek

Sep 8, 2007
I've got concerns about not having a keyboard..

Does anyone who has owned a keyboard phone ever made the switch to one of these large screens?

I'd love to hear about the transition..

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I had a physical keyboard for all my phones until the EVO 4G. I thought it was going to be a brutal transition - but it wasn't. I'd never want another physical keyboard again actually.

Suggestion: Pay for Swiftkey X. It is amazing keyboard. It learns your typing habits and has incredible predictive capabilities. I have OFTEN missed every single letter of a word, and it still has the correct word ready for me, haha. Worth every penny.

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
Years ago i asked the same question. These guys are right, its all about finding the right keyboard on screen. I am still old school and like the Gingerbread Keyboard available for free on the market. But swiftkey x is a very nice 2nd choice for me.

yokken

Dec 29, 2010
The SwiftKey 3 beta on their forums (you have to register, it's free) is great. A few little quips here and there but it's beta software. I've used SwiftKey X since it came out. Beautiful keyboard, amazing predictions. Sometimes it puts hilarious but completely wrong stuff in there. I was typing "especially", I got to "esp" and it suggested "Esperanza". I laughed.

kingme23

Nov 25, 2010
Even the stock HTC keyboard should work well if you have the word prediction enabled. The screens are so large that unless you have gargantuan hands its a breeze to type, I too had a keyboard phone before the EVO 4G and i will never go back.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

NissanNick

Jun 12, 2011
I will be coming from the epic!! This will be my first phone with out a keyboard... Scary lol... But im going to give it a try.

If we can just get cm9 this phone will be amazing!!!

Tommo153

Sep 23, 2010
I'm still on the edge. I want to come over to the 4G LTE, but all of the Sprint Samsung developers just formed some kind of super alliance and I really like our devs on this phone. It is a tough decision and I still need time to think about it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Last edited:

dnathan13

Sep 17, 2010
I will be making the jump from the epic to the new Evo, but not until SWAC can get the Evo so maybe June/July. I never use my epic's physical keyboard. Used to use swype, now I can't stay away from swiftkey x/beta3 either are great!

Rodderik

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
I'm still on the edge. I want to come over to the 4G LTE, but all of the Sprint Samsung developers just formed some kind of super alliance and I really like our devs on this phone. It is a tough decision and I still need time to think about it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

super alliance haha that's funny...hopefully developers from other devices will see how beneficial it was for all of us to come together and actually get stuff done

gprimr1

Dec 23, 2008
I am switching from the Epic to the EVO. I am annoyed by the Epic's constant hardware failure, so I was very turned off by Samsung.

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
Glad to see some Sammy ppl come to HTC we have a few 3d ppl who are switching to Sammy lol or say Sammy is better anyways. Anyways that's all can't wait to get this phone

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

lacrossev

Nov 9, 2008
SF Bay Area
For me personally, having come from a touch pro 2 to the old evo, with all of my close friends using epics, i would have to say that the transition was not as hard as i imagined it to be, from one of the best hardware keyboards on a phone to having no keyboard at all. The screen size on the original evo definately made a difference in usability, and i would imagine that the even bigger screen on the new one will make it much less harsh. At first i thought it was because i was just able to adapt because i just got the hang of it, but then i tried to use the tiny keyboards on my parents' iphones and i realized fast that the screen size was a big factor.

I use keyboard manager to keep it in swype in portrait mode and switch to thumb keyboard in landscape, its a little less accurate than having a hardware keyboard, but its not the end of the world.

Reactions: d_ray_84

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got concerns about not having a keyboard..

Does anyone who has owned a keyboard phone ever made the switch to one of these large screens?

I'd love to hear about the transition..

i'll be making the journey with you...no fears my friend...i will be giving my overflashed and abused epic to my wife
    super alliance haha that's funny...hopefully developers from other devices will see how beneficial it was for all of us to come together and actually get stuff done

Rodderik, you just made my decision much more difficult. Upgrade hits on June 1 and I change my mind everyday. I think the fact that I have never owned a HTC and I would be back to square one may be clouding my judgment a bit. I am starting to troll both the S3 and this forum to see who is getting what and trying to see which has the greater dev support.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    Nothing will ever beat Swype!

Except for SwiftKeyX and SwiftKey 3 Beta.

;)

Seriously, I loved Swype for a long time - now I never use it.
    For me personally, having come from a touch pro 2 to the old evo, with all of my close friends using epics, i would have to say that the transition was not as hard as i imagined it to be, from one of the best hardware keyboards on a phone to having no keyboard at all. The screen size on the original evo definately made a difference in usability, and i would imagine that the even bigger screen on the new one will make it much less harsh. At first i thought it was because i was just able to adapt because i just got the hang of it, but then i tried to use the tiny keyboards on my parents' iphones and i realized fast that the screen size was a big factor.

I use keyboard manager to keep it in swype in portrait mode and switch to thumb keyboard in landscape, its a little less accurate than having a hardware keyboard, but its not the end of the world.
    The tp2 had the best keyboard I ever used

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium