[LWP][v0.6-pre] Crystal Reflection sensor-reactive Nexus 4 backplate live wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

olearyp

Sep 1, 2009
Inspired by Zurginator's cool Nexus 4 backplate backgrounds, I've started working on a live wallpaper interpretation of LG's Crystal Reflection glass process.

Current release: 0.6-pre

NOTE: I'm not currently working on this and don't currently have any plans to come back to it. It was a fun diversion for a couple of weeks. Thanks everyone.

Features:
  • Reacts to motion of your handset or tablet in a realistic way
  • Optionally reacts to ambient lighting conditions
  • Somewhat configurable (color of dots and background, number and size of dots, show/hide the lines in the dots)
  • Free (as in beer)
  • Free (as in speech, BSD 2-clause license, pull requests welcomed!)

Known bugs:
  • I haven't actually seen the back of a real Nexus 4 yet, so I may need to tune the response function once I have. (And I do have one on the way.)
  • Needs a demo video. (I'll take a community contribution here.)

Other TODO:
  • Optimus G pattern (apparently some diamondy thing?)
  • Point source lighting mode
  • Consider OpenGL ES
  • Consider dropping support for all API < 18 if Filterscript DTRT?

Ch-ch-ch-changelog

Enjoy!

Last edited:

timlambo

Jun 17, 2010
Looks really nice. Also I did modify those default values a bit.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352809481625.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352809481625.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 9,830
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352809501329.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352809501329.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 6,592
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352809516311.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352809516311.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6,365

olearyp

Sep 1, 2009
v0.5-pre is built, adding an option to disable the little lines across the dots, adding a real icon, and simplifying the label used in the Live Wallpapers list.

You may need to uninstall or delete prefs for the old version. Definitely try that if it's refusing to load.

I've noticed that if I crank up the number of dots across on my Nexus 7, I can still get significant delays in rendering, despite using precomputed bitmaps. I suspect that the Nexus 10 will experience poor performance due to the sheer number of bitmaps to render. As it turns out, there's no access to a hardware-accelerated canvas from a live wallpaper, so I may have to rewrite the core as [edited] OpenGL ES (graphics Renderscript is deprecated), which would delay feature work.

Last edited:
Reactions: pascanu and n82k

olearyp

Sep 1, 2009
I am really excited to try this out.

I will get you a demo video as soon as google ships me my phone :) waiting impatiently

Ha ha, aren't we all?

Oh, I do want to say thanks to everyone who has tried this out, it's been a fun little side project and I'm glad it's gotten a positive reaction.

Reactions: n82k

olearyp

Sep 1, 2009
Seems to work for me even after clearing shared prefs. If you're setting it on a level surface or with the display straight up and down, with the default settings the display will appear black; more so if you are in a dark room (light sensor is enabled by default). I don't expect there to be a reason to make significant changes there to the defaults. All indications from reviews of N4s say that you don't normally even see the pattern; if anything I'm probably overstating the effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: n82k

yogeshmha

Sep 2, 2011
Mumbai
glowing colored x logo animated

hey i adss expecting the nexus on the back of the device to be colored, unfortunately its just plain gray..

can u come up with something like that in the live wall paper.. just a suggestion
:fingers-crossed:

olearyp

Sep 1, 2009
hey i adss expecting the nexus on the back of the device to be colored, unfortunately its just plain gray..

can u come up with something like that in the live wall paper.. just a suggestion
Sorry, no, I don't plan to do anything along those lines.

Incidentally, OpenGL, even with the help of a framework: pain in the butt.

UPDATE: Along those lines, rather than wait for me to figure out how to make that work, have v0.6-pre. It has some modest performance improvements.

Last edited:

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA

UPDATE: Along those lines, rather than wait for me to figure out how to make that work, have v0.6-pre. It has some modest performance improvements.

Nice work - I can definitely notice the performance improvements. Liking the customization options, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Inspired by Zurginator's cool Nexus 4 backplate backgrounds, I've started working on a live wallpaper interpretation of LG's Crystal Reflection glass process.

Current release: 0.6-pre

NOTE: I'm not currently working on this and don't currently have any plans to come back to it. It was a fun diversion for a couple of weeks. Thanks everyone.

Features:
    • Reacts to motion of your handset or tablet in a realistic way
    • Optionally reacts to ambient lighting conditions
    • Somewhat configurable (color of dots and background, number and size of dots, show/hide the lines in the dots)
    • Free (as in beer)
    • Free (as in speech, BSD 2-clause license, pull requests welcomed!)

Known bugs:
    • I haven't actually seen the back of a real Nexus 4 yet, so I may need to tune the response function once I have. (And I do have one on the way.)
    • Needs a demo video. (I'll take a community contribution here.)

Other TODO:
    • Optimus G pattern (apparently some diamondy thing?)
    • Point source lighting mode
    • Consider OpenGL ES
    • Consider dropping support for all API < 18 if Filterscript DTRT?

Ch-ch-ch-changelog

Enjoy!
    v0.5-pre is built, adding an option to disable the little lines across the dots, adding a real icon, and simplifying the label used in the Live Wallpapers list.

You may need to uninstall or delete prefs for the old version. Definitely try that if it's refusing to load.

I've noticed that if I crank up the number of dots across on my Nexus 7, I can still get significant delays in rendering, despite using precomputed bitmaps. I suspect that the Nexus 10 will experience poor performance due to the sheer number of bitmaps to render. As it turns out, there's no access to a hardware-accelerated canvas from a live wallpaper, so I may have to rewrite the core as [edited] OpenGL ES (graphics Renderscript is deprecated), which would delay feature work.
    Actually, speaking of Desert Bus: several people have mentioned they'd be willing to pay for this LWP, which I definitely appreciate! As I've indicated, though, I'm not interested. :D However, you know who is interested? The children! Desert Bus for Hope 6 is running right now, raising money for Child's Play by playing a ridiculous game, completing strange challenges, and giving away and auctioning all kinds of geeky prizes. If you're looking for somewhere to throw your money, you can do a heck of a lot worse. (And feel free to hit me up at "pao" in chat!)

UPDATE: They actually performed my challenge, which was three minutes of "silent film." Enjoy!
    I love how the walpaper changes when moving the phone, but it would be awesome to be able to change the circles into a "square" mode ? The same pattern, movement reactions but no lines and instead circles, squares :fingers-crossed:

That would be relatively easy to add, but I need to go bother the AndEngine forums to figure out what I'm doing wrong on the OpenGL branch...and between Desert Bus, actually getting my N4 (got the shipping notice at 3 AM), and Thanksgiving it might be a while.

Anyone who wants to implement this on on master (or who knows how to fix my flicker problem on the AndEngine version) is of course welcome to fork and put in a pull request (hint, hint).