Battery Life Sense VS AOSP

Search This thread

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
I've always had absolutely outstanding battery life with sense roms, granted I use custom kernels with undervolting. I've flashed basically every ROM here and I usually get maybe a full day out of sense under heavy usage and maybe half a day out of AOSP. Can somebody explain why? I'd always thought the SenseUI used more resources and had more backgrounded process running than AOSP. Benchmarking also reflects that. But I still get more usage from sense than aosp. Am I missing something? I also used custom kernels with aosp and undervolted.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

polar2792

Oct 23, 2011
Gastonia, NC
I'm probably wrong but the phone was built for sense not aosp. I've wondered the same thing myself.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
I'm probably wrong but the phone was built for sense not aosp. I've wondered the same thing myself.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I don't think physical aspects are the reason for battery life here though. You'd think a ROM running fewer processes would have better life, but here it's the opposite. Unless Sense actually DOES run fewer system apps than aosp does...

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
I've had better luck on MeanROM, which is Sense based than AOKP, but I'm new to the latter.

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
Does anyone on here run AOSP-based ROM's and get a full day's worth of battery life? Any tips/tricks for those of us on here having battery life issues with AOSP?

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
Does anyone on here run AOSP-based ROM's and get a full day's worth of battery life? Any tips/tricks for those of us on here having battery life issues with AOSP?

Depends on what aosp rom you're talking about. 4.4 naturally sucks more battery than 4.3 does. I recommend using tasker to switch off data when your screen is off, and reactivate every 15 minutes or so to make sure you still get background syncing. Not my idea, someone else posted this and it works great. Also undervolt if possible (make sure to stability test) and reduce screen brightness. Screen on uses a surprising amount of battery.

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
I already use Llama to contol wifi/GPS/BT and cycle mobile connections with the screen off. You need a custom kernel to undervolt, right? What program do you use to control that?

Last edited:

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
I already use Llama to contol wifi/GPS/BT and cycle mobile connections with the screen off. You need a custom kernel to undervolt, right? What program do you use to contro that?

I use kernel tuner. Be careful to not set anything to boot until you've thoroughly tested voltages.

Sent from my EVO

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
What settings on kernel tuner have you gotten away with changing without causing apps to FC or the phone to randomly reboot? I've played around with the governors a little bit, but I'm not familiar with all of the options in kernel tuner.

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
What settings on kernel tuner have you gotten away with changing without causing apps to FC or the phone to randomly reboot? I've played around with the governors a little bit, but I'm not familiar with all of the options in kernel tuner.

I anyways is interactive. Undervolt in will require extensive testing on your part since no phone is the same so my voltages may not work on your device. I don't touch anything that's in the governor mod section since I don't know what I'm doing there.

Sent from my EVO