First impression of Ubuntu touch

Search This thread

barrackOBAMA

Jan 17, 2013
Yes yes yes there is a version for Verizon gs3 available in case you have not seen.

I would have brought along some screen shots....but I don't think Ubuntu would let me :/

Anyways

I know my opinion is irrelevant because you guys do not care and the build is currently the definition of " Not a daily driver"

However,

One can still understand the flow and mechanics of the layout.

I use my phone for everything. Quickly moving from one app to another.

In this sense, Ubuntu flows like a river in how to navigate through the apps and home pages. Everything was smooth and no lag any where.

I did find a draw back to the easy access though.
Because of all the swipes in different locations at different times and the multiple spots to pull down different sections of the notification bar, you find your self
Being as clumsy as a new born giraffe while navigating.

Also, because hard ware keys are broken. I found my self somewhere but lost. It would take me a minute to get where I needed to go only because I just didn't know how to get there haha

Coming from touch wiz and an AOSP ROM here and there... Ubuntu almost seems childish?

The layout makes me feel like an old man picking up a smart phone for the first time.

The colors and theme remind me of a day care.

Haha I know all of this is purely theme as not everyone will be happy with it.

But the idea and creativity into this is purely AMAZING.

One of the most refreshing (ROM?) I have used.

I will be coming back when it is daily qualified and might even think that day would be donation worthy :)

Side notes:

If you are thinking about flashing. DO it.
It was fun until I realized there is no WiFi or network.

Most Apps open but don't work

No settings?

Can't turn screen off?

Lock screen was only a picture I believe?
Did not seem to be interactive yet.

random contacts and media in there. I believe it was for the demo purposes only.

But get
Hey, after one day of release. Phantom already had it out.

Seriously put a smile on my face.

Let me know what you guys think.

Try not to be a **** on this forum.
If after reading this and you just absolutely hate me, PM me about it instead.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

rajkumard

May 3, 2011
Is it available for Verizon GS3. Can you please provide the link.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

barrackOBAMA

Jan 17, 2013
Is it available for Verizon GS3. Can you please provide the link.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

I'd love to provide the link. But I am sure it is against the rules somewhere to share links to other peoples work whom do not have it posted on xda.

It is available at roots wiki for the Verizon galaxy s3.

Sorry guys :/

bobAbooE

Apr 8, 2011
Indiana
Isn't it based on CM? Thought I read that on Twitter. Pretty cool for them.

zakth

Dec 4, 2010
It's not based on CM, from what I understand it requires that to be installed first to get this booting on our phones. The CM file is only about 50mb.

barrackOBAMA

Jan 17, 2013
It's not based on CM, from what I understand it requires that to be installed first to get this booting on our phones. The CM file is only about 50mb.

Yeah well it is a two part flash kind of lay out. And I believe that xda wrote an article about this.

Check the portal and read what they had to say.

Lt. Barclay

Feb 23, 2013
It's definitely different and original, which I like. Hard to get a real feel for it since it's basically a non-working demo at this point. Lots of swiping all over the place to do everything. But it looks pretty clean and has some cool features like the favorite apps bar and easy app switching/multitasking.

Reactions: barrackOBAMA
D

Deleted member 3976874

for people asking about the link, it is on rootzwiki forum.

Tazer2death

Oct 9, 2011
Space Coast
Saw an article on this and knew it would be posted about here. Not ready to try it out myself just yet. But I do like the idea and will be watching. Unfortunate that they put out a semi-functional build with flaws such as these but it's understandable.

Shibby87

Mar 13, 2012
Saw an article on this and knew it would be posted about here. Not ready to try it out myself just yet. But I do like the idea and will be watching. Unfortunate that they put out a semi-functional build with flaws such as these but it's understandable.

Builds for the GS3 variants is just a developer preview, I'm guessing we won't see a solid functional build for any device until the source code drops which will probably be around the same time the Ubuntu phone is announced/released. Truly unique experience, lots of swiping and great for multi tasking which I do a lot of. Wasn't too thrilled with the dock system but I suppose it's worth getting use to. The ability to dual boot ubuntu touch/android will be the selling point for most ppl.

Last edited:

barrackOBAMA

Jan 17, 2013
Builds for the GS3 variants is just a developer preview, I'm guessing we won't see a solid functional build for any device until the source code drops which will probably be around the same time the Ubuntu phone is announced/released. Truly unique experience, lots of swiping and great for multi tasking which I do a lot of. Wasn't too thrilled with the dock system but I suppose it's worth getting use to. The ability to dual boot ubuntu touch/android will be the selling point for most ppl.

Do you have any idea when the Ubuntu phone is going to be ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

EAGLEEYE51

Feb 21, 2013
Yes yes yes there is a version for Verizon gs3 available in case you have not seen.

I would have brought along some screen shots....but I don't think Ubuntu would let me :/

Anyways

I know my opinion is irrelevant because you guys do not care and the build is currently the definition of " Not a daily driver"

However,

In this sense, Ubuntu flows like a river in how to navigate through the apps and home pages. Everything was smooth and no lag any where.

Because of all the swipes in different locations at different times and the multiple spots to pull down different sections of the notification bar, you find your self

Also, because hard ware keys are broken. I found my self somewhere but lost. It would take me a minute to get where I needed to go only because I just didn't know how to get there haha

Coming from touch wiz and an AOSP ROM here and there... Ubuntu almost seems childish?

The layout makes me feel like an old man picking up a smart phone for the first time.

I will be coming back when it is daily qualified and might even think that day would be donation worthy :)

Side notes:

No settings?

Can't turn screen off?

random contacts and media in there. I believe it was for the demo purposes only.

But get

I would love to test once they work out some more bugs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Anyways

However,

Side notes:

No settings?

Can't turn screen off?

But get

It's definitely different and original, which I like. Hard to get a real feel for it since it's basically a non-working demo at this point. Lots of swiping all over the place to do everything. But it looks pretty clean and has some cool features like the favorite apps bar and easy app switching/multitasking.