[SCRIPT] GladRoot v4.3 (Bell 0.37.4, AT&T 1.26/1.52/1.57/1.83 Supported)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Ririal

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
Note to all users: This thread is now closed. I will no longer be updating GladRoot as there are more reliable and simpler methods for obtaining root on the newer firmwares. Support can still be found through PM for the older firmware versions.
Note to all users on non-AT&T/Bell devices
This is currently untested on anything but AT&T and Bell phones. You can run this on any phone, and at the very worst, it just won't work. There's almost 0 chance you will harm your phone by running this, so feel free to try. Please report back what firmware version you tried it on, and if it worked or not and I'll update the first post here to reflect. I don't have any device but an AT&T Atrix so I can't test any of the other versions myself, I need your help!​
GladRoot v4.3 (AT&T 1.83 Update Supported - READ DIRECTIONS)

In the interest of cleaning things up and putting all the current information into one place, with links to everything you'll need to get this working.

Basically, there's a ton of misinformation floating around about current root methods. This is your one stop shop for all your root needs. To explain, the SuperOneClick method installs busybox a second time. The Atrix already has busybox installed, so there's no need to install a duplicate. This can cause issues with other mods. GladRoot will take care of everything SuperOneClick did. I've contacted the developer to see if there's a way around this.

Start Here
  • If you have an AT&T Atrix and want to update to 1.57/1.83 with root, follow the first set of instructions.
  • If you have a Bell Atrix or an AT&T Atrix on 1.26 or 1.52 and just want to root, go to the second set of instructions.
  • Please, please, PLEASE, read the whole first post before asking questions. Chances are your question is already covered in the directions.
  • If you have any features requests or notice any bugs, please PM me, I might miss them in this thread.
  • To unroot, just run unroot.bat
  • Note to users seeing "Unable to detect device" error: Disable USB debugging, and turn it back on. Make sure your connection type is set to None. If you need the drivers, they are available here: 32-bit Drivers and 64-bit Drivers

Little bit of additional info here:

• This will root your phone. There is no need to run aRoot before this, and you should NOT be running SuperOneClick anymore.
  • This has options to enable sideloading and the tethering APN. Enabling sideloading will not add an Unknown Sources checkbox, it will just enable it. I don't see any reason for the need to disable this, so unless someone can make a case for the checkbox (that makes sense for users), it will remain this way.
  • Unlike v1, the scripts are fully automated. You need only click "allow" to superuser when prompted for certain steps.

If you are already on 1.57/1.83 and do not have root, you MUST flash back to 1.26 for this to work. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Installation instructions: 1.26 to 1.57/1.83
  1. Read the directions.
  2. Read the directions again.
  3. Read the directions a third time. If you do not understand a step, ASK before starting.
  4. Download the script
  5. Extract the GladRoot folder and files to C:\. Do not install anywhere else. Having it inside a folder with a space will cause the script to FAIL.
  6. Make sure your device is 1.2.6 and is not running any mods, I recommend a fresh SBF flash of 1.2.6. Download links and installation instructions here
  7. Enable USB debugging (Settings -> Applications -> Development).
  8. Connect your phone (I recommend setting USB Connection to 'None').
  9. Run gladroot.bat and follow the on-screen directions (If you're using Windows 7, run as admin by holding down control and double-clicking).
  10. Verify that there are no errors before updating.
  11. Go to Settings -> About phone -> System updates
  12. Follow the on-screen instructions. First download the update (you will need a Wi-Fi connection for this), then it will prompt you to install.
  13. The update will reboot the device and install itself. If this part fails it's because you are not on stock 1.2.6 firmware. Start over and read the directions.
  14. When it boots back up, verify USB debugging is still on. Some users report that disabling and re-enabling USB debugging solves a few issues with the script detecting your device (Settings -> Applications -> Development).
  15. Run afterupdate.bat (If you're using Windows 7, run as admin by holding down control and double-clicking).
  16. Make sure you allow the superuser request on your phone or it WILL fail.
  17. All done! Enjoy your rooted Atrix on 1.57/1.83!
Screenshots
**REMOVED FOR NOW UNTIL I GET A CHANCE TO UPDATE**​
Installation instructions: 1.26, 1.52 and Bell Atrix
  1. Read the directions.
  3. Read the directions a third time. If you do not understand a step, ASK before starting.
  4. Download the script
  5. Extract the GladRoot folder and files to C:\. Do not install anywhere else. Having it inside a folder with a space will cause the script to FAIL.
  6. Make sure your device is the correct version. Go to Settings -> About phone -> Build number and make sure it matches one of the following:
    • OLYFR_U4_1.2.6
    • OLYFR_U4_1.5.2
    • OLYLA_U4_0.37.4
    If you need to flash an SBF first, Download links and installation instructions here.
  9. Run gladroot.bat and follow the on-screen directions.(If you're using Windows 7, run as admin by holding down control and double-clicking).
  10. When you get to the step that asks if you're updating to 1.57, just say no.
  11. Verify that there are no errors.
  12. All done! Enjoy your rooted Atrix!
DISCLAIMER
I am not responsible if this bricks your phone or if it doesn't work properly for you. I've done everything I can to ensure smooth execution.

If you have any issues, feel free to PM me, reply to this thread, or come find me on IRC (I'm Fenrir or fen|works on IRC)​
Special Thanks
Sogarth for adb wizardry, shawnbuck for the concept and getting the ball moving, designgears for the initial aRoot script method, and everyone on XDA and IRC who helped contribute and test.​
Changelog

Version 4.3
  • Cleaned up script a tiny bit
  • Added textual support for 1.83 (the method hasn't changed, it's always worked)
Version 4.2
  • Added Uknown Sources checkbox to sideloading, as well as enabling it.
  • Added unroot script.
Version 4.1
  • Fixed a few minor aesthetic errors in the script
Version 4
  • Added a pause after the superuser request so if it fails, users can read the output.
  • Started mapping out log process for error catching.
  • Removed abd kill-server from the beginning of the file as I think it might be causing problems on slower machines.
Version 3
  • Removed option to root, it just roots. This will not harm your phone if you're already rooted.
  • Added support to root all devices, including Bell Atrix.
  • Cleaned up and improved script.
  • Changed name from Root v2 to GladRoot (Which is Root v3)
Version 2
  • Massive improvements to deployment script
  • Removed need to manually enter commands
Version 1
  • Initial Release

Last edited:

Vigneshd

Mar 14, 2011
Tampa
I love you guys lol!

So will this method (or the idea behind it) work for future updates (like the supposed ones for HSUPA, voice quality and one day eventually maybe gingerbread?)

Or do we have no idea about those?

PixoNova

Nov 28, 2010
I love you guys lol!

So will this method (or the idea behind it) work for future updates (like the supposed ones for HSUPA, voice quality and one day eventually maybe gingerbread?)

Or do we have no idea about those?

I would assume so, unless Moto closes this hole? Not sure if this is a root exploit like psneuter or not.

Also flashing my phone 1.2.6 and will attempt this, will post back my results :)

shawnbuck

Feb 23, 2011
NY
I would assume so, unless Moto closes this hole? Not sure if this is a root exploit like psneuter or not.

Also flashing my phone 1.2.6 and will attempt this, will post back my results :)

Unfortunately, it is possible to close this hole, but I don't think moto is going to get it for a little while.

drjim

Nov 29, 2008
After failing with the previous version, I failed again with this version. I get the screen shot below every time.

I installed JDK and SDK. I did aroot. I rebooted Atrix and my PC. I tried in None and Mass Storage. The Atrix is recognized by my PC as it is listed under Computer and connects with Media Sync. I put the new retainroot folder in C:\.

Nothing works.

Have I missed something?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 3,078
Last edited:

Ririal

Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
After failing with the previous version, I failed again with this version. I get the screen shot below every time.

I installed JDK and SDK. I did aroot. I rebooted Atrix and my PC. I tried in None and Mass Storage. The Atrix is recognized by my PC as it is listed under Computer and connects with Media Sync.

Nothing works.

Have I missed something?

Any ideas?

open command prompt and type:
Code:
adb devices

What does it return?

s0dhi

Feb 24, 2011
Toronto

I installed JDK and SDK. I did aroot. I rebooted Atrix and my PC. I tried in None and Mass Storage. The Atrix is recognized by my PC as it is listed under Computer and connects with Media Sync.

Nothing works.

Have I missed something?

Any ideas?

USB debugging on?

USB mode set as None?

drjim

Nov 29, 2008
Only thing I haven't done is flash SBF (whatever that is). But I'm dling it now...along with RSDlite (whatever that is).

tdamocles

Aug 11, 2009
Any ideas why I got all the way to the second command prompt with permission denied? I never got the super user prompt on my phone. Can I still put the phone in debug mode and rerun afterupdate.bat to re-root?

spinzz

Dec 31, 2009
Failed backup?

OK, I'm on stock 1.2.6, said yes to already rooted and yes to side load and no to tether. It starts and says pushing backupsu.sh... then retval = and backup failed to execute properly. What am I doing wrong? I have developer on and usb = none. Can't seem to get it to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note to all users: This thread is now closed. I will no longer be updating GladRoot as there are more reliable and simpler methods for obtaining root on the newer firmwares. Support can still be found through PM for the older firmware versions.
    Note to all users on non-AT&T/Bell devices
    This is currently untested on anything but AT&T and Bell phones. You can run this on any phone, and at the very worst, it just won't work. There's almost 0 chance you will harm your phone by running this, so feel free to try. Please report back what firmware version you tried it on, and if it worked or not and I'll update the first post here to reflect. I don't have any device but an AT&T Atrix so I can't test any of the other versions myself, I need your help!​
    GladRoot v4.3 (AT&T 1.83 Update Supported - READ DIRECTIONS)

In the interest of cleaning things up and putting all the current information into one place, with links to everything you'll need to get this working.

Basically, there's a ton of misinformation floating around about current root methods. This is your one stop shop for all your root needs. To explain, the SuperOneClick method installs busybox a second time. The Atrix already has busybox installed, so there's no need to install a duplicate. This can cause issues with other mods. GladRoot will take care of everything SuperOneClick did. I've contacted the developer to see if there's a way around this.

Start Here
    • If you have an AT&T Atrix and want to update to 1.57/1.83 with root, follow the first set of instructions.
    • If you have a Bell Atrix or an AT&T Atrix on 1.26 or 1.52 and just want to root, go to the second set of instructions.
    • Please, please, PLEASE, read the whole first post before asking questions. Chances are your question is already covered in the directions.
    • If you have any features requests or notice any bugs, please PM me, I might miss them in this thread.
    • To unroot, just run unroot.bat
    • Note to users seeing "Unable to detect device" error: Disable USB debugging, and turn it back on. Make sure your connection type is set to None. If you need the drivers, they are available here: 32-bit Drivers and 64-bit Drivers

Little bit of additional info here:

• This will root your phone. There is no need to run aRoot before this, and you should NOT be running SuperOneClick anymore.
    • This has options to enable sideloading and the tethering APN. Enabling sideloading will not add an Unknown Sources checkbox, it will just enable it. I don't see any reason for the need to disable this, so unless someone can make a case for the checkbox (that makes sense for users), it will remain this way.
    • Unlike v1, the scripts are fully automated. You need only click "allow" to superuser when prompted for certain steps.

If you are already on 1.57/1.83 and do not have root, you MUST flash back to 1.26 for this to work. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Installation instructions: 1.26 to 1.57/1.83
    1. Read the directions.
    4. Download the script
    6. Make sure your device is 1.2.6 and is not running any mods, I recommend a fresh SBF flash of 1.2.6. Download links and installation instructions here
    9. Run gladroot.bat and follow the on-screen directions (If you're using Windows 7, run as admin by holding down control and double-clicking).
    10. Verify that there are no errors before updating.
    11. Go to Settings -> About phone -> System updates
    12. Follow the on-screen instructions. First download the update (you will need a Wi-Fi connection for this), then it will prompt you to install.
    13. The update will reboot the device and install itself. If this part fails it's because you are not on stock 1.2.6 firmware. Start over and read the directions.
    14. When it boots back up, verify USB debugging is still on. Some users report that disabling and re-enabling USB debugging solves a few issues with the script detecting your device (Settings -> Applications -> Development).
    15. Run afterupdate.bat (If you're using Windows 7, run as admin by holding down control and double-clicking).
    16. Make sure you allow the superuser request on your phone or it WILL fail.
    17. All done! Enjoy your rooted Atrix on 1.57/1.83!
    Screenshots
    **REMOVED FOR NOW UNTIL I GET A CHANCE TO UPDATE**​
    Installation instructions: 1.26, 1.52 and Bell Atrix
    1. Read the directions.
    4. Download the script
    6. Make sure your device is the correct version. Go to Settings -> About phone -> Build number and make sure it matches one of the following:
      • OLYFR_U4_1.2.6
      • OLYFR_U4_1.5.2
      • OLYLA_U4_0.37.4
      If you need to flash an SBF first, Download links and installation instructions here.
    9. Run gladroot.bat and follow the on-screen directions.(If you're using Windows 7, run as admin by holding down control and double-clicking).
    10. When you get to the step that asks if you're updating to 1.57, just say no.
    11. Verify that there are no errors.
    12. All done! Enjoy your rooted Atrix!
    DISCLAIMER
    I am not responsible if this bricks your phone or if it doesn't work properly for you. I've done everything I can to ensure smooth execution.

If you have any issues, feel free to PM me, reply to this thread, or come find me on IRC (I'm Fenrir or fen|works on IRC)​
    Special Thanks
    Sogarth for adb wizardry, shawnbuck for the concept and getting the ball moving, designgears for the initial aRoot script method, and everyone on XDA and IRC who helped contribute and test.​
    Changelog

Version 4.3
    • Cleaned up script a tiny bit
    • Added textual support for 1.83 (the method hasn't changed, it's always worked)
    Version 4.2
    • Added Uknown Sources checkbox to sideloading, as well as enabling it.
    • Added unroot script.
    Version 4.1
    • Fixed a few minor aesthetic errors in the script
    Version 4
    • Added a pause after the superuser request so if it fails, users can read the output.
    • Started mapping out log process for error catching.
    • Removed abd kill-server from the beginning of the file as I think it might be causing problems on slower machines.
    Version 3
    • Removed option to root, it just roots. This will not harm your phone if you're already rooted.
    • Added support to root all devices, including Bell Atrix.
    • Cleaned up and improved script.
    • Changed name from Root v2 to GladRoot (Which is Root v3)
    Version 2
    • Massive improvements to deployment script
    • Removed need to manually enter commands
    Version 1
    • Initial Release
    In theory, this method should work. I have not tested it as there are other cleaner, more reliable root methods available. I will still provide support for the older versions through PM if anyone needs, but I'm closing this thread as I don't plan to test or update it for support with 4.5.91.

Thank you for all your support. If I helped you or you used my scripts, consider hitting the donate button. Thanks again!
    Hi all,

I rooted it successfully and I can install apk which stored in SD card. Today I just run the factory data reset then it does not allow me anymore. Am I missing something?

Tks

Factory reset is just that. It sets your device to the way it came out of the box. You'll have to go back to the directions in the first post and reroot from scratch.
    Well seems like the Bell version worked even though Kennethpenn said that it doesn't for Bell. Can you explain this, Ririal?

I just rooted using aRoot by designersgear. How is this root differ from aroot?

Thanks,
    Roze

This uses the same method as aRoot. Since designears is no longer developing for the phone, I picked up where he left off and have made a cleaner script. aRoot got the job done, and was quick and dirty. My script has a little more going on behind the scenes to ensure things go smoothly.

What did Kennethpenn say didn't work on the Bell Atrix? Flashing an SBF, as far as I know, will not work on the Bell Atrix. If you flash to 1.26 and it WORKED, I'm sure everyone would be very happy to hear that, as I don't think anyone has been brave enough to try. :)

i went back to 1.26 then did the glad bat and followed everything i dont see SU app and i never got a confirmation of root did i do something wrong

Do you have an error message you can post or be a little more specific at what step it was failing?