[GUIDE] VPN - Access other countries' Play Store & download all the stuff you want

Search This thread

Geo1997

Mar 30, 2012
twitter.com
[GUIDE] VPN - Access other countries' Play Store & download all the stuff you want

How to Access Other Countries Google Play Store with a VPN App
This tutorial is based on merquise's one on S2 forum : [GUIDE] Access US or UK Google Play market through VPN, cmlx's and BC01 posts
Available in french (en français) on my website : ici

*** Updates ***
06 october 2014 - More little changes in the text - Tested and updated with Play Store v4.9.13
11 february 2014 - Little things in the text - Viatun <= 2.3 unavailable
22 october 2013 - Tested and updated with Play Store v4.3.11

*** NO ROOT Required ***
This thread can help people who are searching to access to the US or UK or whatever Google Play Store. You can download apps, music, films, books, blocked in your own Play Store country.

The advantage of this way of doing is that you will use a vpn server for some seconds only, and then your own internet connection which is more secured and rapid.

Problem :
Since february 2013, apps like Market Enabler (link to the apk) can't change the country of the Play Store. It seems that Google has blocked this possibility.

An answer with a VPN :
You can change the Play Store country with a VPN app, if your account isn't already locked on a country.
VPN are gateway to access the internet from a server in another country. We could easily fake our phone connection to UK or US, or any other country.
But the problem is that we don't really know if this distant server is well-secured.
So here is a way to fake our connection with the Google Play Store while remaining safe.

First, download a VPN app (I add some informations about the free versions of this apps), you just need some MB of data :
- TunnelBear VPN - Free : US or UK, need to subscribe, 500MB/month (you can easily upgrate to 1G with a tweet)
- or Vpn One Click - Free : 17 countries, "no traffic limit"
- or Hotspot Shield VPN - Free : US?, "unlimited bandwith"
- or Hideman VPN - Free : 16 countries, 5h/week free
- or DroidVPN - Root needed - Free : US, need to subscribe, 100MB/day
- or Tigervpns VPN - Free : US or UK or JP, 100MB demo
- or VIATUN 4 VPN (Android 4.0 and up) - Free : many countries, need to subscribe, 3 days (1GB limit)

How-To :
- Start the VPN app and launch the VPN (search for the country you want or US if you don't know).
- Go in Settings, Applications, Google Play Store, clear data
- Open the Google Play Store app : it will be re-loading and pop-up a confirmation window, says "By using Google Play, you agree to the ... ", just accept it and you can see a new Play Store without restriction.
- Turn OFF VPN and go back on the Play Store. You can then download the apps you want. The status without restriction of Play Store can retain till next reboot of the app or of your device.
You have to do again this process if you want to change again the Play Store country.

Careful : If you buy something on the Play Store or with your Google account, it may stay blocked on this country even if you try to clean everything.

FAQ :
# If you're on an old version of the Play Store ( < 4.4.2.1) :
Instead of clear data, you can go directly on the Play Store app after having start the VPN.
Press the "menu" button and choose "accounts", then press your account which you are currently using, and OK.
Play Store will be re-loading and pop-up a confirmation window, says "By using Google Play, you agree to the ... ", just accept it and you can see a new Play Store without restriction.
Don't forget to put off the VPN before starting to download the apps you want.

# I follow the instructions but it's not working :
- If you use a credit card, see the next tip
- Clear Google Play Store cache and data in settings again. Try also to reboot your router.
- Verify that the vpn is working (see tip below)
- If it's still not working, remove your google account and log in again.

# I use a credit card and the store doesn't change its country :
- The most simple way is to create and use a second google account on your phone, without using a credit card. When you use a credit card, Google block the country of your Play Store.
- If you use Google Wallet, you can try to change your adress and all your localization to another country. (tip from qbsti)
- Delete Creditcards (and Adress) in Wallet. Restart Mobile. Force Close the Play Store App and delete Cache and Data. Activate VPN . Open the store and don't forget then to put off the VPN.

# I don't know if the vpn is working :
- To verify if your vpn is working : go with a mobile browser on a website like http://www.hostip.fr and verify the country.
You can also note your ip before using the vpn. Then start the vpn, go again on the website, refresh the web page. The vpn works if the ip has changed.

# I've got a trust VPN, can I use it ? How ?
- If you've got a trust VPN, you can keep it permanent by directly add it in Android settings - More... - VPN

# Store's country has changed but I don't find paid apps or the one I search.
- If the market's country has changed but you still don't find an app, do a google search with your stock browser. It will ask you if you want to go by the browser or the Play Store. Choose Play Store. The app will open and you can download/buy the app.
- You can also use this app : Fetch, to search an app. It will then redirect you to the Play Store. (tip from xda's member skingg)

# I don't find the country I'm searching for the VPN :
- You can use one of this tutorial : http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_android.aspx with one VPN of this list : http://www.vpngate.net/en/. There is surely the country you're searching.
- You can also try to use OpenVPN : Open VPN (Play Store) and search for a VPN with this app : easyOVPn

# A video if you don't understand :

Last edited:

jimbexley

Aug 6, 2012
Not working for me :(

I used this methog with tunnelbear on my desktop, S3 and nexus 10 for months now, and it worked perfectly until about 2 weeks back. It now still doesnt work, it keeps going to my local play store, on desktop, phone or tablet, as if Google has decided i cant open any other store anymore. On the plus side, I can download my movies now without a VPN, that wasnt possible before.

Geo1997

Mar 30, 2012
twitter.com
I used this methog with tunnelbear on my desktop, S3 and nexus 10 for months now, and it worked perfectly until about 2 weeks back. It now still doesnt work, it keeps going to my local play store, on desktop, phone or tablet, as if Google has decided i cant open any other store anymore. On the plus side, I can download my movies now without a VPN, that wasnt possible before.

"I can download my movies now without a VPN" In which country are you living ? Maybe Google has opened its market to your area.

Yep, sometimes VPN is not working to change market country, so I wipe cache and data of the app, reboot my phone and my router, start vpn, and most of the time VPN works again

byakuugan

Jun 19, 2009
I'm using HTC One X so I'm not sure whether it's my device or what.
I followed your steps and it didn't work. I even used VPN (Japan), market helper (Samsung Galaxy S3) and market enabler (NTT Docomo) at the same time.
My IP was a Japanese IP and Google Dashboard showed my International HTC One X as "samsung GT-I9300 NTT docomo", but still no luck.
I also cleared cache, forced stop Google Play and reboot.

edit:
It didn't work when I used my primary Google account. But when I added my other Google account that was never used for Google Play before, it worked!

Last edited:

Geo1997

Mar 30, 2012
twitter.com
Re: [Guide]VPN - Access other countries' Play Store & download all the stuff you want

I'm using HTC One X so I'm not sure whether it's my device or what.
I followed your steps and it didn't work. I even used VPN (Japan), market helper (Samsung Galaxy S3) and market enabler (NTT Docomo) at the same time.
My IP was a Japanese IP and Google Dashboard showed my International HTC One X as "samsung GT-I9300 NTT docomo", but still no luck.
I also cleared cache, forced stop Google Play and reboot.

edit:
It didn't work when I used my primary Google account. But when I added my other Google account that was never used for Google Play before, it worked!

Don't use market enabler or any other app. It will not work for the moment.

Start a us vpn and go with your browser on a website like whatismyip.com and verify if your vpn is working. You should be located in us.
But if it's working with one account, it should work with the other one

Keep the vpn open, wipe google play cache and data, then open it. Try also to reboot your router.
If it's still not working, remove your google account and put it back. Then start the vpn, and then the play store.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9300

drelite08

Nov 29, 2010
Re: [Guide]VPN - Access other countries' Play Store & download all the stuff you want

Does this only work with play store or will any of those work with the Netflix app?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Geo1997

Mar 30, 2012
twitter.com

Does this only work with play store or will any of those work with the Netflix app?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

I don't know what is exactly the problem with Netflix, I don't use it.

A vpn will fake your connection, and can, for example, put it in the us.
If it's what the app needs, it should work with netflix.

Just try ;)

skingg

Dec 25, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I don't know what is exactly the problem with Netflix, I don't use it.

A vpn will fake your connection, and can, for example, put it in the us.
If it's what the app needs, it should work with netflix.

Just try ;)

I was able to get the VPN (US selected) to open up and get access into the Oscar awards app. But it doesnt let me download the Free Song of the Day in the US PlayStore even with VPN enabled. :p

Geo1997

Mar 30, 2012
twitter.com
I was able to get the VPN (US selected) to open up and get access into the Oscar awards app. But it doesnt let me download the Free Song of the Day in the US PlayStore even with VPN enabled. :p

And netflix works ?

Yep, you need at least a card on Google Wallet (or a gift card or somethine like that) to download, free or paid, film or music.

We don't need it for free books (and apps :p )

Geo1997

Mar 30, 2012
twitter.com

Yep, you need at least a card on Google Wallet (or a gift card or somethine like that) to download, free or paid, film or music.

Pics for example, sorry some texts are in french :
uploadfromtaptalk1361997650960.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1361997666872.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1361997691046.jpg

Last edited:

shitaki

Oct 18, 2011
Hey Geo, do you know a VPN app for South Korea? I've looking for one for forever but no luck. Please help !

Geo1997

Mar 30, 2012
twitter.com

Hey Geo, do you know a VPN app for South Korea? I've looking for one for forever but no luck. Please help !

Hmm I did not see a VPN app for South Korea :/

What you can do, but it's risky, it's to create your vpn in Android settings - more (under data consommation) - VPN, and to use a adress here http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-country-KR.htm
But I' m afraid of the security of this distant server.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How to Access Other Countries Google Play Store with a VPN App
    This tutorial is based on merquise's one on S2 forum : [GUIDE] Access US or UK Google Play market through VPN, cmlx's and BC01 posts
    Available in french (en français) on my website : ici

*** Updates ***
    06 october 2014 - More little changes in the text - Tested and updated with Play Store v4.9.13
    11 february 2014 - Little things in the text - Viatun <= 2.3 unavailable
    22 october 2013 - Tested and updated with Play Store v4.3.11

*** NO ROOT Required ***
    This thread can help people who are searching to access to the US or UK or whatever Google Play Store. You can download apps, music, films, books, blocked in your own Play Store country.

The advantage of this way of doing is that you will use a vpn server for some seconds only, and then your own internet connection which is more secured and rapid.

Problem :
    Since february 2013, apps like Market Enabler (link to the apk) can't change the country of the Play Store. It seems that Google has blocked this possibility.

An answer with a VPN :
    You can change the Play Store country with a VPN app, if your account isn't already locked on a country.
    VPN are gateway to access the internet from a server in another country. We could easily fake our phone connection to UK or US, or any other country.
    But the problem is that we don't really know if this distant server is well-secured.
    So here is a way to fake our connection with the Google Play Store while remaining safe.

First, download a VPN app (I add some informations about the free versions of this apps), you just need some MB of data :
    - TunnelBear VPN - Free : US or UK, need to subscribe, 500MB/month (you can easily upgrate to 1G with a tweet)
    - or Vpn One Click - Free : 17 countries, "no traffic limit"
    - or Hotspot Shield VPN - Free : US?, "unlimited bandwith"
    - or Hideman VPN - Free : 16 countries, 5h/week free
    - or DroidVPN - Root needed - Free : US, need to subscribe, 100MB/day
    - or Tigervpns VPN - Free : US or UK or JP, 100MB demo
    - or VIATUN 4 VPN (Android 4.0 and up) - Free : many countries, need to subscribe, 3 days (1GB limit)

How-To :
    - Start the VPN app and launch the VPN (search for the country you want or US if you don't know).
    - Go in Settings, Applications, Google Play Store, clear data
    - Open the Google Play Store app : it will be re-loading and pop-up a confirmation window, says "By using Google Play, you agree to the ... ", just accept it and you can see a new Play Store without restriction.
    - Turn OFF VPN and go back on the Play Store. You can then download the apps you want. The status without restriction of Play Store can retain till next reboot of the app or of your device.
    You have to do again this process if you want to change again the Play Store country.

Careful : If you buy something on the Play Store or with your Google account, it may stay blocked on this country even if you try to clean everything.

FAQ :
    # If you're on an old version of the Play Store ( < 4.4.2.1) :
    Instead of clear data, you can go directly on the Play Store app after having start the VPN.
    Press the "menu" button and choose "accounts", then press your account which you are currently using, and OK.
    Play Store will be re-loading and pop-up a confirmation window, says "By using Google Play, you agree to the ... ", just accept it and you can see a new Play Store without restriction.
    Don't forget to put off the VPN before starting to download the apps you want.

# I follow the instructions but it's not working :
    - If you use a credit card, see the next tip
    - Clear Google Play Store cache and data in settings again. Try also to reboot your router.
    - Verify that the vpn is working (see tip below)
    - If it's still not working, remove your google account and log in again.

# I use a credit card and the store doesn't change its country :
    - The most simple way is to create and use a second google account on your phone, without using a credit card. When you use a credit card, Google block the country of your Play Store.
    - If you use Google Wallet, you can try to change your adress and all your localization to another country. (tip from qbsti)
    - Delete Creditcards (and Adress) in Wallet. Restart Mobile. Force Close the Play Store App and delete Cache and Data. Activate VPN . Open the store and don't forget then to put off the VPN.

# I don't know if the vpn is working :
    - To verify if your vpn is working : go with a mobile browser on a website like http://www.hostip.fr and verify the country.
    You can also note your ip before using the vpn. Then start the vpn, go again on the website, refresh the web page. The vpn works if the ip has changed.

# I've got a trust VPN, can I use it ? How ?
    - If you've got a trust VPN, you can keep it permanent by directly add it in Android settings - More... - VPN

# Store's country has changed but I don't find paid apps or the one I search.
    - If the market's country has changed but you still don't find an app, do a google search with your stock browser. It will ask you if you want to go by the browser or the Play Store. Choose Play Store. The app will open and you can download/buy the app.
    - You can also use this app : Fetch, to search an app. It will then redirect you to the Play Store. (tip from xda's member skingg)

# I don't find the country I'm searching for the VPN :
    - You can use one of this tutorial : http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_android.aspx with one VPN of this list : http://www.vpngate.net/en/. There is surely the country you're searching.
    - You can also try to use OpenVPN : Open VPN (Play Store) and search for a VPN with this app : easyOVPn

# A video if you don't understand :
    It works

Malaysian here and yes I managed to access to Japan Google Play Store now. :D
    The method I used:
    [On pc's side]
    1) go vpngate and download their VPN client.
    2) follow their instruction and change your pc ip to Japan's one.
    3) double check if you are REALLY using Japan's ip. ( You can check it at their Homepage )
    4) go register yourself a Japan's google account. ( https://www.google.co.jp/ Well, have to read some japanese here... )
    [On phone's side]
    1) follow the op instruction and install vpn app to your phone ( choose the one have Japan vpn , currently I use tunnelbear)
    2) go Setting> Add Account> Google , then input the Japan's google account you created just now
    3) go Application > Google Play Store , Force Stop and Clear Data
    4) Launch tunnelbear, change phone's ip to japan
    5) Launch play store, click "accept", enjoy :D
    Yep weird : the search remains in the country you are even if the store is connected in another country

I have found an alternative besides using the stock browser to search for apps and link the results to Play Store. Grab the app name Fetch, which is an app that tries to cater apps to you based on your personal taste . Just use its 'Search' button there and I'm able to find all paid apps linked to Play Store that I couldn't with Play Store's search itself!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.appdisco.android.appdisco&hl=en

this thread needs to be promoted more. no root even required.

this is perfect, thank you

Thks :)
    Yep I already try to promote it but I don't know what exactly to do. Maybe you can just press "Tip us?". We will see ;)

Not working in China. Still going back to crappy local store...

Can you give more information about your problem . VPN is enabled ?