[Xperia S][INFO][REF] All that u need to know before u begin

Search This thread

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
hello friends,

let me begin by introducing myself, i am an active developer for Xperia devices (X10, ARC, PLAY, etc.) and am member of Team FreeXperia, Lead Developer of Team UtterChaos & member of Team ICX... i have some experience in development for Xperia devices, specifically in kernels, rooting & recoveries and i have various how-to, reference threads which are very helpful to new & advanced users alike across various device communities... i hope even this thread will be useful to everyone... if you would like to know what things i have worked on before feel free to check some of the links in my signature below...

so some of u must be new to the SE/Sony Xperia family & even if u are not this should be useful... this thread should get u up to speed on what you need to know for this device...

i will try to cover some very basic things and try to touch upon some advanced topics...

i will be dividing this thread into various sections, and each section will point to an individual post...

following is the list of sections covered:

for those who are interested in development are free to contact me via p.m.... BUT PLEASE do not ask generic questions, post all generic queries at the forums/threads...

regards,

DooMLoRD

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Basics

[ various bootmodes ]

newest (2011 onwards) SEMC/SE/Sony devices have three boot modes... these bootmodes can be reached when device is powered off...

• Normal - just press power button and device starts booting
  • Flashmode - this mode is used to flash stock OFFICIAL firmware using flashtool, denoted by GREEN LED (this is similar to DOWNLOAD/ODIN mode of the Samsung devices)
  • Fastboot mode - this is a special mode, denoted by BLUE LED, used when we want to flash custom kernel, custom system images, for that we need to unlock bootloader, i will tell more details about this later...

[ various key combinations ]

this is most important part...

known key combinations so far:

while device is power OFF

Volume Up + USB cable connected to PC -> FASTBOOT MODE (BLUE LED will light up)

Volume Down + USB cable connected to PC -> FLASHMODE (GREEN LED will light up)

while device is power ON

Volume Up + POWER (for 10 seconds) -> resets the battery, its like removing the battery and putting it back in [device will vibrate once]

Volume Up + POWER (for additional 5 seconds, total 15 seconds) -> will power off hard, device will power down [device will vibrate thrice]

[ understanding About Phone ]

attachment.php

What it all means for u:

Kernel version:
Sony has released this device with 2.6.35 kernel. When custom kernels are released (they will surely be soon) this string will change.

Model number:
The Xperia S has model number as LT26 and has two models LT26i and LT26a. They differ in the spectrum of frequencies supported for 3G/WCDMA http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_s-4369.php
LT26i - HSDPA 900 / 2100
LT26a - HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
(i am not 100% sure if there is a LT26a in the market... this info is derived from X10i/a & LT15i/a... please do not get confused...)

Android version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
S.E. officially launched this phone with android version 2.3 (aka GingerBread).
Though Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.x) should be released soon (DONT ASK ME WHEN, I DONT KNOW)

Baseband version: [linked to firmware version]
(Crudely) this is a software interface which communicates with radio -> gsm/wcdma (2g/3g), basically acts as a base for the main OS to ‘talk-to’ the hardware on the phone [I know this explanation isn’t precise even partly incorrect.. if someone can help me out I will update it]
This is similar to the "radio" image of the HTC devices.

Build number: [aka firmware version]
This is dependent on which firmware u flash on ur phone and is linked to the baseband version.
Btw some devs use this field to add their own ‘signature’ to the ROM so if u are using custom ROMs this field might be varying. Though the Baseband version for a particular firmware remains same.

what is firmware?

The firmware is a package containing all the official software for a particular build. It will contain system, kernel & baseband files. Generally the firmware is supplied (on forums) in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool.

what are the ways to update/repair firmware?

SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) / PCC (PC Companion) / EMMA are all official ways to update to new or repair existing firmware on your device. SEUS/PCC are available to all users (consumers), EMMA is special and is only available to select individuals. This requires you to connect device to PC and then the software will check for updates and download them over the internet.

Updates can also be sent as FOTA (Firmware over-the-air)/OTA (over-the-air) updates where in you can download and install the updates without the need to connect to PC/any software.

FlashTool is an unofficial user-created tool, but the best way to flash official firmwares. Generally the firmware is supplied in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool. Thus FlashTool is the easiest way to do offline updates, just download the FTF file, it keep on PC and flash ur device when ever you want to.

Attachments

• screenshot201202281928.jpg
    screenshot201202281928.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 262,555
Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
FlashTool

Flashtool is one of the MOST IMPORTANT piece of software for ur phone, it is an unofficial, but the best way to flash official firmwares. Generally the firmware is supplied in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool. Thus FlashTool is the easiest way to do offline updates, just download the FTF and keep on PC and flash ur device when ever you want to. One can also flash select partitions using FlashTool, say you want to flash baseband(radio) from newer/older firmware but want to keep the main system the same u can do that using newest FlashTool! FlashTool also supports fastboot modes! so if you are not very comfortable with command line then u can use the FastBoot Toolbox inbuilt into FlashTool to fastboot the kernels!

For all flashtool informations (download links, release notes, FAQ) go to the Flashtool Homepage

Flashtool is on github : FlashTool GitHub repo

Flashtool thread specifically for Xperia S:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1588586

[FLASHTOOL GUIDE] HOW TO for n00bies (excellent guide for new users, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! The info for Rooting, Recovery & Bootloader UNlock in that thread is for older Xperia devices...)

i will try n get more links for FlashTool and post it here

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Bootloader Unlocking & Relocking

[Tutorial] Xperia S Bootloader Unlocking & Relocking

any queries regarding how to unlock/relock bootloader should be posted in that thread...

other similar thread for older Xperia devices are given below... incase u run into any troubles or have any doubts kindly go thru the following threads so that u know what you are getting into...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1034087
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1134335

also u might want to check the older Xperia 2011 devices (ARC, PLAY, NEO, etc) forums:
http://xdaforums.com/filter.php?cat=sonyericsson-android

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Rooting

Currently (April 17, 2012) there is no exploit which works on Xperia S firmware... so the only way to root is to unlock bootloader and then flash a prerooted system.img OR flash an auto-rooting kernel...

Bin4ry has posted a pre-rooted image here

OR

list of firmwares and prerooted system.img

OR

you can flash any auto-rooting kernel... some kernels feature auto-root which basically means that once u flash that kernel and boot the device, the kernel will perform necessary actions to root your device!!!

auto-rooting kernels available:

any queries regarding how to use either of these should be posted in corresponding thread...

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Flashing Custom Kernel

[ requirements ]

1. bootloader of the device is UNLOCKED
  2. fastboot drivers installed
  3. fastboot binaries

Instructions for flashing custom kernels

1. reboot device into fastboot mode
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    OR
    power off device and with VOL UP button pressed connect USB cable

BLUE LED should come up
  2. go to the folder where u have downloaded the fastboot binaries
    with SHIFT key do a RIGHT click of the mouse and then select "Open Command Prompt here"

3. now you will get windows Command Prompt

4. type the following command to check if device is connected
    Code:
    fastboot devices
  5. it should return something like:
    Code:
    PSDN:XXXXXXXXXXXXX     fastboot
  6. this verifies that device is correctly connected

7. now flash the kernel (it can be a boot.img OR a kernel.elf OR kernel.sin)
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    OR
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot kernel.elf
    OR
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot kernel.sin
  8. you will get output like:
    Code:
    sending 'boot' (4804 KB)...
    (bootloader) USB download speed was 15923kB/s
    OKAY [  0.326s]
    writing 'boot'...
    (bootloader) Flash of partition 'boot' requested
    (bootloader) S1 partID 0x00000003, block 0x00002000-0x0000bfff
    (bootloader) Erase operation complete, [I][B]0 bad blocks encountered[/B][/I]
    (bootloader) Flashing...
    (bootloader) Flash operation complete
    [I][B]OKAY[/B][/I] [  0.940s]
    finished. total time: 1.266s
  9. keep an eye if you get any "bad blocks" and that finally u get "OKAY"

10. thats it kernel is now flashed

11. now reboot from fastboot mode
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
  12. the device should start booting

this same procedure can be used to flash STOCK kernels also

just extract the kernel.sin from the firmware FTF (open the FTF using 7zip)
and flash with above instructions

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Flashing Custom ROMs

Most custom ROMs are provided as update.zip. Its a technical term, basically its a special signed ZIP file which can be flashed via custom recovery.

1. Download the ZIP file and save it on ur PC
  2. now connect ur device and save the ROMs ZIP file on the SDCARD
  3. disconnect the device (after copying is over)
  4. reboot into recovery
  5. go to install ZIP from sdcard menu and navigate to the folder where you saved the ZIP file
  6. now select it
  7. recovery will start flashing the ROM
  8. after flashing is over just reboot device and you will be on the custom ROM :)

Tips:

some CUSTOM roms require specific kernels (like CM9) in that case FIRST flash the corresponding kernel and then follow the instuctions posted above

Last edited:

SNL

Feb 8, 2006
Below Sea Level
OnePlus 7 Pro
Perfect topic for someone who had five HTC devices and getting his first Sony smartphone. Thanks for creating, DooMLoRD.

One question: does ClockWorkMod run on the Experias?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kardoon

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Perfect topic for someone who had five HTC devices and getting his first Sony smartphone. Thanks for creating, DooMLoRD.

One question: does ClockWorkMod run on the Experias?

yes... CWM runs on all xperia, in form of official releases and also some custom CWM-based recoveries... i myself maintain custom CWM-based recoveries for X10, ARC & PLAY...

Reactions: blackon and SNL
custom roms

i got my XPS yesterday love it, its faster,smoother and cooler than my arc best thing is everthing is HD`ed now.. but i would love to see ICS running on this one as on arc

are there any similarities in arc and XPS ? can the arc roms be modded for XPS ?
if so we can expect customs pretty much earlier right developers :cool:

all the best and keep up the gud work guys apprecitiate it....:)

(i am also thinking to contribute something in development but don`t where and what to start with :eek:)

colossus

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 28, 2009
Thread cleaned so no more posting thanks!

Use the Thanks button that is what it is there for.

As development grows, keeping the threads clean of spam will help you all in the end as you will be able to find things easier with the thread search feature.;)

dachao

Oct 28, 2010
I just got a new computer and I am not able to download the flashtool.
I get the following message.

Our service is currently unavailable in your country. We are sorry about that.

Are there any other links for the download?

dixter

Jun 1, 2011
This should hopefully be an easy one for you - just about to get my Xperia S after 2 years of Bada hell... One question - am I alright to flash the UK Generic FTF with network lock still on? There was a lot of misinformation for Bada about whether flashing with the network lock on caused problems, so I'm being cautious. I imagine it's fine, but thought I'd check first. Thanks!

skymike03

Nov 22, 2009
ANGERS
I think i'll buy this phone next month for 1€ ...... i really love his specs !!! and gonna wait for ics .. (sony promiss early update... so wait and see !)

Last edited:

StephCo

Apr 17, 2008
Are there any other links for the download?

Hi !
is it OK for you now ? I can upload it in other server if I can help you :D

EDIT :
Thread cleaned so no more posting thanks!

Use the Thanks button that is what it is there for.

As development grows, keeping the threads clean of spam will help you all in the end as you will be able to find things easier with the thread search feature.;)

Oups ! Sorry ! I'll private mail dachao ... so please delete my offtopic msg :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello friends,

let me begin by introducing myself, i am an active developer for Xperia devices (X10, ARC, PLAY, etc.) and am member of Team FreeXperia, Lead Developer of Team UtterChaos & member of Team ICX... i have some experience in development for Xperia devices, specifically in kernels, rooting & recoveries and i have various how-to, reference threads which are very helpful to new & advanced users alike across various device communities... i hope even this thread will be useful to everyone... if you would like to know what things i have worked on before feel free to check some of the links in my signature below...

so some of u must be new to the SE/Sony Xperia family & even if u are not this should be useful... this thread should get u up to speed on what you need to know for this device...

i will try to cover some very basic things and try to touch upon some advanced topics...

i will be dividing this thread into various sections, and each section will point to an individual post...

following is the list of sections covered:

for those who are interested in development are free to contact me via p.m.... BUT PLEASE do not ask generic questions, post all generic queries at the forums/threads...

regards,

DooMLoRD
    Basics

[ various bootmodes ]

newest (2011 onwards) SEMC/SE/Sony devices have three boot modes... these bootmodes can be reached when device is powered off...

• Normal - just press power button and device starts booting
    • Flashmode - this mode is used to flash stock OFFICIAL firmware using flashtool, denoted by GREEN LED (this is similar to DOWNLOAD/ODIN mode of the Samsung devices)
    • Fastboot mode - this is a special mode, denoted by BLUE LED, used when we want to flash custom kernel, custom system images, for that we need to unlock bootloader, i will tell more details about this later...

[ various key combinations ]

this is most important part...

known key combinations so far:

while device is power OFF

Volume Up + USB cable connected to PC -> FASTBOOT MODE (BLUE LED will light up)

Volume Down + USB cable connected to PC -> FLASHMODE (GREEN LED will light up)

while device is power ON

Volume Up + POWER (for 10 seconds) -> resets the battery, its like removing the battery and putting it back in [device will vibrate once]

Volume Up + POWER (for additional 5 seconds, total 15 seconds) -> will power off hard, device will power down [device will vibrate thrice]

[ understanding About Phone ]

attachment.php

What it all means for u:

Kernel version:
    Sony has released this device with 2.6.35 kernel. When custom kernels are released (they will surely be soon) this string will change.

Model number:
    The Xperia S has model number as LT26 and has two models LT26i and LT26a. They differ in the spectrum of frequencies supported for 3G/WCDMA http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_s-4369.php
    LT26i - HSDPA 900 / 2100
    LT26a - HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
    (i am not 100% sure if there is a LT26a in the market... this info is derived from X10i/a & LT15i/a... please do not get confused...)

Android version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
    S.E. officially launched this phone with android version 2.3 (aka GingerBread).
    Though Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.x) should be released soon (DONT ASK ME WHEN, I DONT KNOW)

Baseband version: [linked to firmware version]
    (Crudely) this is a software interface which communicates with radio -> gsm/wcdma (2g/3g), basically acts as a base for the main OS to ‘talk-to’ the hardware on the phone [I know this explanation isn’t precise even partly incorrect.. if someone can help me out I will update it]
    This is similar to the "radio" image of the HTC devices.

Build number: [aka firmware version]
    This is dependent on which firmware u flash on ur phone and is linked to the baseband version.
    Btw some devs use this field to add their own ‘signature’ to the ROM so if u are using custom ROMs this field might be varying. Though the Baseband version for a particular firmware remains same.

what is firmware?

The firmware is a package containing all the official software for a particular build. It will contain system, kernel & baseband files. Generally the firmware is supplied (on forums) in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool.

what are the ways to update/repair firmware?

SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) / PCC (PC Companion) / EMMA are all official ways to update to new or repair existing firmware on your device. SEUS/PCC are available to all users (consumers), EMMA is special and is only available to select individuals. This requires you to connect device to PC and then the software will check for updates and download them over the internet.

Updates can also be sent as FOTA (Firmware over-the-air)/OTA (over-the-air) updates where in you can download and install the updates without the need to connect to PC/any software.

FlashTool is an unofficial user-created tool, but the best way to flash official firmwares. Generally the firmware is supplied in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool. Thus FlashTool is the easiest way to do offline updates, just download the FTF file, it keep on PC and flash ur device when ever you want to.
    FlashTool

Flashtool is one of the MOST IMPORTANT piece of software for ur phone, it is an unofficial, but the best way to flash official firmwares. Generally the firmware is supplied in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool. Thus FlashTool is the easiest way to do offline updates, just download the FTF and keep on PC and flash ur device when ever you want to. One can also flash select partitions using FlashTool, say you want to flash baseband(radio) from newer/older firmware but want to keep the main system the same u can do that using newest FlashTool! FlashTool also supports fastboot modes! so if you are not very comfortable with command line then u can use the FastBoot Toolbox inbuilt into FlashTool to fastboot the kernels!

For all flashtool informations (download links, release notes, FAQ) go to the Flashtool Homepage

Flashtool is on github : FlashTool GitHub repo

Flashtool thread specifically for Xperia S:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1588586

[FLASHTOOL GUIDE] HOW TO for n00bies (excellent guide for new users, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! The info for Rooting, Recovery & Bootloader UNlock in that thread is for older Xperia devices...)

i will try n get more links for FlashTool and post it here
    Flashing Custom Kernel

[ requirements ]

1. bootloader of the device is UNLOCKED
    2. fastboot drivers installed
    3. fastboot binaries

Instructions for flashing custom kernels

1. reboot device into fastboot mode
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      OR
      power off device and with VOL UP button pressed connect USB cable

BLUE LED should come up
    2. go to the folder where u have downloaded the fastboot binaries
      with SHIFT key do a RIGHT click of the mouse and then select "Open Command Prompt here"

3. now you will get windows Command Prompt

4. type the following command to check if device is connected
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    5. it should return something like:
      Code:
      PSDN:XXXXXXXXXXXXX     fastboot
    6. this verifies that device is correctly connected

7. now flash the kernel (it can be a boot.img OR a kernel.elf OR kernel.sin)
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot.img
      OR
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot kernel.elf
      OR
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot kernel.sin
    8. you will get output like:
      Code:
      sending 'boot' (4804 KB)...
      (bootloader) USB download speed was 15923kB/s
      OKAY [  0.326s]
      writing 'boot'...
      (bootloader) Flash of partition 'boot' requested
      (bootloader) S1 partID 0x00000003, block 0x00002000-0x0000bfff
      (bootloader) Erase operation complete, [I][B]0 bad blocks encountered[/B][/I]
      (bootloader) Flashing...
      (bootloader) Flash operation complete
      [I][B]OKAY[/B][/I] [  0.940s]
      finished. total time: 1.266s
    9. keep an eye if you get any "bad blocks" and that finally u get "OKAY"

10. thats it kernel is now flashed

11. now reboot from fastboot mode
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    12. the device should start booting

this same procedure can be used to flash STOCK kernels also

just extract the kernel.sin from the firmware FTF (open the FTF using 7zip)
    and flash with above instructions
    Rooting

Currently (April 17, 2012) there is no exploit which works on Xperia S firmware... so the only way to root is to unlock bootloader and then flash a prerooted system.img OR flash an auto-rooting kernel...

Bin4ry has posted a pre-rooted image here

OR

list of firmwares and prerooted system.img

OR

you can flash any auto-rooting kernel... some kernels feature auto-root which basically means that once u flash that kernel and boot the device, the kernel will perform necessary actions to root your device!!!

auto-rooting kernels available:

any queries regarding how to use either of these should be posted in corresponding thread...