Touchpad stuck in a read only mode

Search This thread

asif9t9

Oct 29, 2011
I have a TP with WebOS 3.0.5, Moboot 0.3.8, and CM10.1.

Whenever I reboot my device, any changes I make are reset. I can't load a new ROM. I can copy files to my SD Card and use them, but when I reboot, the files are gone. I see this is an ongoing issue. But most threads are old. Any fix for this? I just want to be able to run WebOS doctor now, but it won't work. It stops at 12% and says Unable to Reset. I have tried all the various WebOS doctor versions from 3.0.0 to 3.0.5.

Thanks,

Reactions: camaroqqq

Moody66

Nov 6, 2013
Uhrichsville

Whenever I reboot my device, any changes I make are reset. I can't load a new ROM. I can copy files to my SD Card and use them, but when I reboot, the files are gone. I see this is an ongoing issue. But most threads are old. Any fix for this? I just want to be able to run WebOS doctor now, but it won't work. It stops at 12% and says Unable to Reset. I have tried all the various WebOS doctor versions from 3.0.0 to 3.0.5.

Thanks,

Use jcsullins hp TouchPad Toolbox. Complete reset.

asif9t9

Oct 29, 2011

Cool thanks. This looks like it could be the thing. Do you recommend I do a Full Data Reset to delete both WebOS and Android, then Create WebOS Volume to prep the device for WebOS, then WebOS doctor to get back to factory? Then if all goes well, then re-install Android?

I ask because the Full Data Reset sounds scary. I hope I can still access Moboot from there, for whatever that's worth.

camaroqqq

Feb 24, 2012
I posted in the Toobox thread, but just fyi, can you believe, Complete Reset didn't work! It's like my Touchpad is in read only mode. :(

Same exact thing is happening to me. Toolbox message says:

Code:
ERROR: LVM config erase check FAILED.  Possible read-only failure.

I have tried everything, and when it reboots, it is as if nothing changed. Check this out:

Code:
root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
  11 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
root@webos-device:/#
root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgremove store
lvm.static vgremove store
Do you really want to remove volume group "store" containing 11 logical volumes?
 [y/n]: y
y

Do you really want to remove volu......

It says it's removed:

Code:
  Logical volume "cm-data" successfully removed
  Volume group "store" successfully removed

Then right after:

Code:
lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2

STILL THERE!! LOL this is crazy... is it a hardware problem?

NOTE: This touchpad was sitting dead for 6 months. Charged it, turned it on, read only ..

Reactions: asif9t9

asif9t9

Oct 29, 2011
I'm sad but glad at the same time others are afflicted the same as me. It means others are trying to fix problem so we might get a solution. I have this beautiful touchpad sitting at home dead now. When it did work, it was in read only mode. But the battery died out again and now I can't get it started up at all. But I know the battery itself is fine because when it was working...in read only mode...the battery held charge really well.

camaroqqq

Feb 24, 2012
I'm sad but glad at the same time others are afflicted the same as me. It means others are trying to fix problem so we might get a solution. I have this beautiful touchpad sitting at home dead now. When it did work, it was in read only mode. But the battery died out again and now I can't get it started up at all. But I know the battery itself is fine because when it was working...in read only mode...the battery held charge really well.

I used a *touchstone to charge mine. I've heard that can make a difference.

There are few threads on this read-only issue, but no fixes...

Last edited:

asif9t9

Oct 29, 2011
I used a touchpad to charge mine. I've heard that can make a difference.

There are few threads on this read-only issue, but no fixes...

Yeah the Touchstone worked the last time for me to charge it up. But it's not working anymore. Hard to believe two charging methods have failed at the same time. Either way I need to melt down the device to dispose of it because it has personal info and photos on it.

earthcoder

Nov 26, 2010
Getting same issues, been trying to sort for ages
This is what the state of mine is

Boots up Moboot 0.3.5
Cyanogenmod does not load just loops
Does boot WebOS but Cannot Wipe the device, it reboots and nothing has changed, even removed a app and reboot and comes back again.
tried toolbox complete wipe says read only mode
WebOS Doctor recovery dies at 12%
tried the Guide to recover and everytime I rescan, it finds the "store" yet again, even after I've deleted it.

now confused, I can charge it too 100% with no issues, but found it best not to charge it on USB recovery mode, seems to charge ok from complete shutdown or in webos.

but read only mode cant fix tried loads of stuff but seems every post with others with issues seems to go off on something else un-related from the issue.

nihonsuki

Oct 17, 2014
Mountain View
Mine froze on Oct. 11

Yes, somewhat comforting to know that there are a few other cases of this. My first symptoms were that apps were starting to crash. Then I noticed that nothing I did would change the bootup state. Seems like a file system problem, but how could that information get overwritten at bootup? I hope one of the experts can shed some light on this problem.

Getting same issues, been trying to sort for ages
This is what the state of mine is

Boots up Moboot 0.3.5
Cyanogenmod does not load just loops
Does boot WebOS but Cannot Wipe the device, it reboots and nothing has changed, even removed a app and reboot and comes back again.
tried toolbox complete wipe says read only mode
WebOS Doctor recovery dies at 12%
tried the Guide to recover and everytime I rescan, it finds the "store" yet again, even after I've deleted it.

now confused, I can charge it too 100% with no issues, but found it best not to charge it on USB recovery mode, seems to charge ok from complete shutdown or in webos.

but read only mode cant fix tried loads of stuff but seems every post with others with issues seems to go off on something else un-related from the issue.

robx

Mar 17, 2007
Well this sucks... I appear to be stuck with the same issue as everyone else in this thread.
I mounted media volume in toolbox and used windows for format the drive. When I mounted it again the data was all still there...

asif9t9

Oct 29, 2011
I'm sad to say I trashed mine. Couldn't fix it. And didn't want to sell for parts because the memory had my personal data. Still haven't replaced the tablet because I can't find a better model for the price.

nilux

May 8, 2010
anyone ?

Anyone was able to fix this ?
somehow it can't mount to /data , I've tried all commands related lvm.static ( vgremove , lvremove..... ) it shows removed but after restart still there and nothing has changed.

tptoolbox could not fix , could not remove partitions .
acmeuninstaller and acmeuninstaller2 could not remove .

is this hardware issue or software ?

middle_road

Feb 21, 2011
East TN
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
What version of TPToolBox are you using?
I haven't yet run across this problem in numerous wipes on (7) TPs.
Had one that the Mobo had gone bad on - couldn't do anything on that one. Another had a video gremlin, but I was still able to wipe it.
I wonder if maybe ADB and using shell commands might work?

_Dan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks,

Thanks,
    I posted in the Toobox thread, but just fyi, can you believe, Complete Reset didn't work! It's like my Touchpad is in read only mode. :(

Same exact thing is happening to me. Toolbox message says:

Code:
    ERROR: LVM config erase check FAILED.  Possible read-only failure.

I have tried everything, and when it reboots, it is as if nothing changed. Check this out:

Code:
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
      11 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    root@webos-device:/#
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgremove store
    lvm.static vgremove store
    Do you really want to remove volume group "store" containing 11 logical volumes?
     [y/n]: y
    y

Do you really want to remove volu......

It says it's removed:

Code:
      Logical volume "cm-data" successfully removed
      Volume group "store" successfully removed

Then right after:

Code:
    lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
      Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
      Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2

STILL THERE!! LOL this is crazy... is it a hardware problem?

NOTE: This touchpad was sitting dead for 6 months. Charged it, turned it on, read only ..