[KERNEL][ROM][ICS][GT-I9100]Dual CM10/SiyahKernel issues

Search This thread

gabx

Jul 24, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
I already have CPU spy and BBS, most of the time my phone is @ 200mhz (with 2 hours of use I get barely 20 deep sleep mins), also I can notice because when it is in deep sleep, waking it up will take 1 or 2 more seconds, meanwhile when it is not, it will wake up immediately, which is happening when I install siyah (latest) and not with the custom CM kernel.

PS2: I know my battery life is not that bad, but stick to the deep sleep problem please. Thanks

It seems to me two wakelocks are preventing your device to deep sleep. Then, your mobile network signal is always green, e.g. working.
I conclude there is some app/task related to call which is preventing the device to deep sleep and is eating your battery.

gabx

Jul 24, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Dual boot is unabled with version 3.1b1 out today.

I have not yet experimented it, but will post when done. It seems the process is straightforward.
As for CM9, the Cyanogenmod changelog website shows a great numbers of change for next build. So I will update, as until now I am still on 0403.

xionix

Jul 23, 2010
Connection Problem

Hi,

I'm have a problem on doing phone calls.
When i start a phonecall it's working normal, for about 15 sec somtimes more sometimes less, and then the phone suddenly loses all connection. phonecall breaks down, wifi not connected,... after about 20 sec phone and wifi is connected again but when i do a phonecall it's the same.

May u can help me?

Provider is A1/Bob (Austria) and firmware is last nightly build 09.04.2012.
Kernel SiyahKernel v3.0.1
Hope anyone has an idea :)

br

twistedvegan

Jan 8, 2009
yellow tinge issue

I'm running this combo purely so I can use bln, not sure if this is kernal or ROM related but would like to know if anyone else has had this issue before I start trying different roms. I don't want to move away from cyanogen as there's far too many other Roms to choose from and I don't want to waste half my life trying to find one that's bug free.

when my screen brightness is on a low setting it has a slight yellow tinge to it, I'm pretty sure it was doing it with the cm9 kernal but not 100% certain so figured I better come and get flamed for posting here rather than by the 1000 or so kids on the cm9 thread with nothing better to do than rip into people for asking for help. I did try using the search tools but couldn't find anything conclusive.

Rumble6059

Nov 12, 2008
Nottinghamshire
I'm running this combo purely so I can use bln, not sure if this is kernal or ROM related but would like to know if anyone else has had this issue before I start trying different roms. I don't want to move away from cyanogen as there's far too many other Roms to choose from and I don't want to waste half my life trying to find one that's bug free.

when my screen brightness is on a low setting it has a slight yellow tinge to it, I'm pretty sure it was doing it with the cm9 kernal but not 100% certain so figured I better come and get flamed for posting here rather than by the 1000 or so kids on the cm9 thread with nothing better to do than rip into people for asking for help. I did try using the search tools but couldn't find anything conclusive.

Maybe try changing the mDNIe mode and scene in settings may fix it :)

Posted by Rumble via XDA premium app on my gsII running CM9 Ice cream Sandwich

Reactions: twistedvegan

twistedvegan

Jan 8, 2009
Maybe try changing the mDNIe mode and scene in settings may fix it :)

tried that but it doesn't seem to do anything, found a screen tuner app on the market that's a good temp fix

gabx

Jul 24, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Hi,

I'm have a problem on doing phone calls.
When i start a phonecall it's working normal, for about 15 sec somtimes more sometimes less, and then the phone suddenly loses all connection. phonecall breaks down, wifi not connected,... after about 20 sec phone and wifi is connected again but when i do a phonecall it's the same.

May u can help me?

Provider is A1/Bob (Austria) and firmware is last nightly build 09.04.2012.
Kernel SiyahKernel v3.0.1
Hope anyone has an idea :)

br

Try another modem. There is a list in the first page of CM9 discussion thread

gabx

Jul 24, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland

I can't reproduce your issue.

gabx

Jul 24, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
kernel 3.1b3 is working like a charm with CM9 0411 Nightly.

Not yet tried dual boooting, and to be honest, I do not want to use any other ROM than CM one. Since day1 I have been on it, and never changed. So not sure I will use dual booting capability!

Nalty

May 9, 2010
Just curious, does anyone have CIFS working with the 3.1 Siyah betas?

I'm trying to get it work but it's not working.

Galaxy_Cat

Mar 13, 2012
Oakland
bln seems to work provided you get the app from the play store and flash siyahkernel. The only reason I use Siyahkernel is for bln as CM9 doesnt implement it yet (dont know if it ever will).

My problem is that Rom Manager CWM Touch Recovery no longer works with Siyahkernel, screws up on loading and restarts the phone. The Siyah touch recovery works but I would really prefer to have the option to use either. Anyone reported this to the developer?

Siyah 3.0.1 + CM9 7th April Nightly

Everyone and their mother knows about this. Just use CWM app and be happy. IF you post to developers about this, they will mercilessly flame you.

In my opinion, it's a small price to pay for the brilliance of the Siyah kernel. Consider yourself enlightened that you don't settle for CM Kernels! (Even though CM rocks the house)

ExTweaks

Last edited:

Sepharite

Oct 12, 2011
Just curious, what's the purpose of having two ROMS if one ROM is superior to the other? I'm running CM9 and it's quite perfect, unless there's a better ROM please do tell :)

Curious about the dual boot though, do the ROMs share data/apps?

Ok_Kaleidoscope5109

Dec 29, 2009
Maybe this is a PEBKAC issue but today I decided to go back to CM7 from CM9.

I had siyah 2.6.14 on CM7, and 3.0.1 on CM9. I hit Nandroid restore, and after I played around in CM7 I wanted to nandroid back to CM9.

However I noticed it wiped my whole /sdcard partition. I lost all my nandroid backups, and I'm stuck on CM7 now until I redownload CM9. WTF happened?

I highly doubt I went into the storage/mount menu and hit wipe sdcard unless someone did taht for me or I was really drunk while doing this....

Just wondering if this is an issue someone has experienced before...

gabx

Jul 24, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Maybe this is a PEBKAC issue but today I decided to go back to CM7 from CM9.

I had siyah 2.6.14 on CM7, and 3.0.1 on CM9. I hit Nandroid restore, and after I played around in CM7 I wanted to nandroid back to CM9.

However I noticed it wiped my whole /sdcard partition. I lost all my nandroid backups, and I'm stuck on CM7 now until I redownload CM9. WTF happened?

I highly doubt I went into the storage/mount menu and hit wipe sdcard unless someone did taht for me or I was really drunk while doing this....

Just wondering if this is an issue someone has experienced before...

Well, never had such issue. Maybe it has something to do with the dual boot new option?

gabx

Jul 24, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Booting CM9 0413 Nightly with SyiahKernel 3.1.rc2 with no problems.
CM9 allows now to choose between USB Mass Storage and MTP under Settings > storage > Menu > USB computer connection.
Both connections work with SyiahKernel.

100 and 1600 Mhz steps have been removed. According to me, they are worth nothing. Below 200, device is not entering deep sleep very well, and over clocking to 1600 is tricky and not very useful (unless you want to play caid in the school yard).

Kichikuro

Mar 20, 2012
Just tried this dual usage but I'm disappointed.

Only 3500 at Quadrant and 5800 at Antutu benchmarks.
And the battery pourcentage drops too fast.

Did I miss something?

NouveauBox

Aug 20, 2010
I have been playing with dual booting, only because I can. But unless one is trying to find bugs or just want to see what another ROM looks like, I do not see the benefit of it, yet.

In the end, one still gets pretty much the same experience on the same device (I know I know, I am not trying to start a war on 'which ROM is best' here).

I was on ICS Resurrection 1.1 with stock kernel, then Siyah 3.x to try out dual booting. Been trying CM9, Hydrogen, Foxhound, updated kernels, ICS Resurrection 1.3, etc.

I am now back to ICS Resurrection 1.1 with latest Siyah 3.1rc2 as it gives me the best performance so far (no, not measured, just going by my own feel). Maybe I can get more battery life out of a newer ROM but from what I am getting today versus stock ROM, I am getting a heck of lot more time out of my device already so I am happy.

Dual Booting gave me an option in the past of Linux and Windows only because there was one particular application on Windows that I used and was not available in any other form on Linux at the time.

Today, applications are available on iOS, Android and I assume Windows for mobile devices (whatever that is called) - that are the same or equivalent so a dual boot might not necessarily be very beneficial for the majority of users.

Now if there were such a thing as a specific ROM that is optimised for one use only, such as camera only, GPS/Navigation only, Music player only etc. and it really improves the performance/battery life because of it, then it could be a great tool. I am not sure if this would even be possible.

Just my 2 cents

fjkum

May 4, 2009
Hi,

I am now on Cyanogenmod 9 nightly 0413 with SiyahKernel 3.1rc2 on my SGS2.
I would like to know if I can still install back the Samsung stock apps to it? Will it crash, etc?

Cuz I need back the Clock apk that has all the nifty tools I needed such as Stop Timers, World Clocks, etc from the SGS2 stock XXLPQ firmware.

Please help.

gabx

Jul 24, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Hi,

I am now on Cyanogenmod 9 nightly 0413 with SiyahKernel 3.1rc2 on my SGS2.
I would like to know if I can still install back the Samsung stock apps to it? Will it crash, etc?

Cuz I need back the Clock apk that has all the nifty tools I needed such as Stop Timers, World Clocks, etc from the SGS2 stock XXLPQ firmware.

Please help.

yes you can install any app.apk

Rumble6059

Nov 12, 2008
Nottinghamshire
yes you can install any app.apk

Maybe not totally true, if he is referring to stock Samsung apps then it's most likely that they won't be able to be installed cuz cm9 doesn't have the Samsung framework.

Reactions: fjkum

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many of us will use CyanogenMod 10 and Siyah kernel build by gokhanmoral, as it is maybe one of the best combinaison for a powerful and smooth device. My past experience with CM7 and Syiah Kernel show me some questions will hardnessly find a right place in the CyanogenMod 10 nightly builds | DISCUSSION THREAD neither in [KERNEL][ICS] SiyahKernel v3.0 thread. The issues you may experience could in fact be due to this specific combinaison, and when posting in CM10 thread you will be told to use only the custom Cyanogenmod Kernel, and when posting in Syiah thread you will be told your issue is CM10 relative and has nothing to do with the Kernel!!

Thus the idea to create an area dedicated to users running both Syiah kernel and CM10 ROM. They won't waste time posting and being flamed on both threads. I already can see some users jumping from one thread to another one.

When posting in this thread, you will lighten the main discussion threads, and browsing them will be easier.

• Before you post, do a minimum of search in both threads to ensure there is not an easy and quick answer.
    • Then think twice, be as much as precise as you can when presenting your issue. We all will gain in efficiency and save our time.
    • Please keep this thread clean and useful in order to avoid "mass browsing". Refrain from flaming and adding to the crap ; do not offense, even in case of n00bish and stupid question; avoid any needless posts about your mood such as "Go Syiah", "Codeworkx, you are the best", "I love my phone" or any out of topic consideration.
    • learn a litle bit about BBC Code, and try to organise your post.
    • Be accurate and smart as much as you can. Answering will be easier and your post will help other users.

Both main threads are heavily busy, so I hope this one will help us in getting quick answers for both advanced users AND n00bs.
    [color=#ooBFFF]It is up to you now to keep this place clean and convenient.[/color]

SEE POST 2 FOR LAST UPDATES AND POST 3 FOR BOOT TO GECKO
    Unfortunately Mozilla decided to drop SGS2 development. I will still let the post in case Mozilla Dev team change their mind.

All credits are given to Teamhacksung, Cyanogenmod and Gokhan for their hard and clever work. Below are links to original work:

CM9 :
    XDA Forum main discussion thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1419102
    Cyanogenmod : http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
    Teamhacksung : http://teamhacksung.org/
    ROM download link : http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=galaxys2
    You can download directly the nightly build to your device with Rom manager Premium.

Unless you are a flash addict, best is now to stick with official and stable CM9, currently 9.1
    http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/samsung-galaxy-s2

CM10:
    XDA Forum main discussion thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1794758
    Modem + RIL installer : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31416701

CM10.1:
    XDA Forum main discussion thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2036229
    Still under development as Samsung code source is missing.

Syiah kernel :
    XDA Forum Dev thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1555259
    XDA Forum discussion thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1658647
    Syiah Kernel for SGS2: http://www.gokhanmoral.com/
    Kernel download link : http://www.gokhanmoral.com/
    Extweaks thread by droidphile : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23616564#post23616564
    Comprehensive and exhaustive list of Extweaks UV values by gecko95gek: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26755476&postcount=850
    You can download directly the kernel to your device. Open your browser, go to gokhanmoral website. You will find an optimized version for device, with all listed kernels. Clic on it, the changelog will appeared as well as a download link.

Extweaks and Dual Booting FAQ by Droidphile
    http://tinyurl.com/cvjcl52
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24233132&postcount=5

UNDERSTANDING ANDROID
    Below is a link to a must read document about Android and how it works on your device. The pdf is quite big, 485 pages, but do not be afraid. All is very well explained, in a very clear english and academic fashion, so even n00bs can understand. There is a lot of pictures and very practical explainations.
    http://tinyurl.com/dxr8dpx
    All rights reserved www.hardkernel.com

Kernel cleaning scripts
    Most often, custom Kernels create special directories and config files. If you want to switch from one custom Kernel to another one, it is not a bad idea to run this script before flashing the new Kernel. It will do some cleaning on your file system by removing all custom tweaks let by the Kernel.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1363738

##My current configuration : [color=#ooBFFF]CM10-nightly-20121107[/color] + SyiahKernel [color=#ooBFFF]5.0.1[/color]##
    ##I am an Archlinux user, and some settings and way to operate are sometimes different from Ubuntu. So do not hesitate to ask here in case of any problem with Linux in general, and Arch in particular.##
    Below is a list of major usage difference, known issues or tricks.

I will do my best to keep it up to date and exhaustive, according to my own usage of my SGS2 device and what I can read on the forum.

Noteworthy differences

• Syiah Kernel use its own touch CWM. You can move around with touchscreen or screen buttons. When you backup, restore or install zip from sd card, use INTERNAL SDCARD instead of SDCARD (the opposite of CM9 practice).
    • Most kernel settings are done with an app called EXTWEAKS. This is a free app from Android Play. You need to give root access to Apps under Settings > Developper options > Root acess to allow EXTWEAKS to operate the changes. Settings from Extweaks will override the ones from CM9, like CPU govenor and clock speed.
    • Flashing Syiah kernel will install many .syiah folders and config files on your device. If you want to get rid of them when back to CM9 default kernel, flash syiah-resetdefaultprofile.zip (link to the file on his website under SiyahKernel v3.0beta3 section). It is NOT mandatory, as CM9 will be fully functional with these config files, but it is best to keep your system as clean as possible.
    • Using this kernel in the correct way, enjoying all the fine tunings, is not so easy and need a bit of knowledge. IF you have no idea about how work your CPU and GPU, stick to the default configuration. Wrong settings will cause malfunction, lags, glitches and make scrolling jerky.
    • Since version 3.1b1, dual booting is enabled. All settings are done in the Syiah custom CWM. It allows you to choose at boot time between two ROMs

[*]BLN IS WORKING NATIVELY SINCE KERNEL 3.2b4

GOOGLE NOW IS A HUGE BATTERY DRAINER ON CM10

2012/09/13
    • CM10 is now my first ROM. Flashed CM10-nightly 0913
    • flashed syiahkernel 4.1.5.

2012/09/13
    • Flashed CM10-nightly 0928
    • Battery is still draining very fast
    • some issues with superuser. Moved to SuperSu from chainfire (Play store)

2012/10/15
    • Flashed CM10-20121015-experimental-i9100-jbmalioshwc2-vsync_sysfs-changmin (link above under CM10)
    • Battery is better, memleak fixed.
    • Flashed Syiah-s2-v4.1.5-cm10-jbmali-vsync-sysfs
    • Flashed new gapps 20121011

2012/10/20
    • Flashed CM10-20121017-nightly
    • Flashed Syiah-s2-v5

2012/11/07
    • Flashed CM10-20121107-nightly
    • Flashed Syiah-s2-v5.0i

2012/12/09
    • You will find a 4.2.1 experimental CM10 ROM at this following link :
      http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2036229.
      Teamhacksung has made a very hard work to port 4.2.1 to the SGS2, as they don't have any opensource drivers/kernel from Samsung.This build is still experimental.

2013/01/04
    I am still on my old config with CM10 as I am not convinced CM and SyiahKernel are yet fully stable.

2013/02/28
    I WILL NOT FOLLOW THIS THREAD ANYMORE .
    CM 10.1 is totally broken on this device and there isn't even a stable release. Samsung broke things.
    Gokham has some trouble building Kernels.
    cm9 0326 build with voltage control with sio/smartassv2 setting for siyah beta7...

scrolling not smooth at all ... changing to other governors combination still doesnt do much ...

Here are some of my settings. Everything is smooth, fast and battery friendly. I only use Extweaks, as I do think using too many apps will lead to bad settings as I am not an expert.

• Governor: Lulzactive
    • I/O Scheduler : noop
    • Second core is enabled above 60% load
    • Second core is disabled below 35% load
    • Min freq for second core to be turned on : 600 000 KHZ
    • CPU Step count : 6 (100 Mhz is not a good idea with ICS)
    • CPU Smooth Scaling : 3,3,2
    • GPU Freq step : 100, 160, 200 MHz
    • GPU Volatage levels : 850,900,900 mV
    • GPU Thresholds : 80, 40,85,50 %
    • GPU StayCount : 1,1,0 sec
    • TouchMove sensitivity : 2 pix
    • charge current : 650 mA
    • disabled Auto-install Root and Android Logger

Hope it can help to get nice scrolling and long battery life
    I anderstand.
    My main idea remains : how can you create a thread about a kernel while in the same time the father of that kernel say that he wont support CM9..or maybe he would?

It sounds crystal clear that your thread is like talking about Galaxy SIV when Galaxy SIII isnt here:rolleyes:

it is not quite true that I won't support CM9.
    actually, I am thinking about using it as my primary rom.
    but there are some facts now: I am using Samsung ROM, I cannot test anything about CM9 and I am very busy.
    those facts make it impossible for me to support CM9 now.
    when I install CM9, it will be harder to support Samsung ROM. that is why I want to finish dual-booting.

subscribed.
    Just upgraded to nightly 0710 and syiahkernel 3.3.3.c with no issues at all.
    The new kernel let you use the Thunderbiolt script, so increasing UI responsiveness.