Anti-Theft software for TP2

Search This thread

sreejithb

Jul 17, 2009
Hey guys,

This is my first ever thread on the XDA forum.

After saving up for a long long long time, I am now a proud owner of a TP2. And now, I am constantly worried about it getting stolen(my past two phones were stolen).

I know this topic has been discussed for other phones before. But is anyone using a good anti-theft software on their TP2? Are any of the softwares recommended for other phones in this forum giving any errors with TP2?

I dun mind spending a bit on it. I read about the Ultimate Theft Alert v3.5 and the Sprite Terminator. The sprite guys are having some promotion for HTC owners. Does that mean it is highly recommended for HTC devices?

I am not a developer and is pretty dumb about flashing roms and all that (even though I cant wait to learn more. Expecting all your help and co-operation). So please provide me a simple solution for this.

Thanks guys

Black Phoenix

Jul 26, 2009
Portugal
Hey guys,

This is my first ever thread on the XDA forum.

After saving up for a long long long time, I am now a proud owner of a TP2. And now, I am constantly worried about it getting stolen(my past two phones were stolen).

I know this topic has been discussed for other phones before. But is anyone using a good anti-theft software on their TP2? Are any of the softwares recommended for other phones in this forum giving any errors with TP2?

I dun mind spending a bit on it. I read about the Ultimate Theft Alert v3.5 and the Sprite Terminator. The sprite guys are having some promotion for HTC owners. Does that mean it is highly recommended for HTC devices?

I am not a developer and is pretty dumb about flashing roms and all that (even though I cant wait to learn more. Expecting all your help and co-operation). So please provide me a simple solution for this.

Thanks guys

I do not think that will be easy that an anti-thief fully protect your investiment:
Normally first think every thief does is shutdown the equipment and remove the SIM Card. After that he could simply Hard Reset the equipment, returning the equipment itself to factory specs, so the anti-thief software is deleted. He can also change the IMEI in a relatively simple way.

Main tactics:

Never show your equipment if you are in a relatively empty street, train station, etc;
Always use the equipment with a firmly grip on it and always watching the surroudings;

This is simple common sense...

I know, that is going a little paranoic but some care is always a good thing.

sreejithb

Jul 17, 2009
Good point!!

Hey Black Phoenix,

thanks for the reply. for some reason, I didn't think of the possibility of the thief doing a hard reset.

But, I feel it is still worth investing on a software like Ultimate Theft Alert coz there is still a chance that the thief might not do a hard reset. So can you recommend a good software among the popular ones that works for TP2? I forgot to mention that I am from Singapore. I dunno whether my location makes any difference?

I still have not played with my phone a lot. But i believe TP2 has GPS? So doesnt that mean some of these softwares can give me the coordinates of my phone? Will my location matter for this feature?

Black Phoenix

Jul 26, 2009
Portugal
Hey Black Phoenix,

thanks for the reply. for some reason, I didn't think of the possibility of the thief doing a hard reset.

But, I feel it is still worth investing on a software like Ultimate Theft Alert coz there is still a chance that the thief might not do a hard reset. So can you recommend a good software among the popular ones that works for TP2? I forgot to mention that I am from Singapore. I dunno whether my location makes any difference?

I still have not played with my phone a lot. But i believe TP2 has GPS? So doesnt that mean some of these softwares can give me the coordinates of my phone? Will my location matter for this feature?

As I told, first thing that any thief does is shutdown the phone and trow away the sim card. With the phone shutdown, no gps coordinates or remote lock. And believe in me, the ones that steal know very well to cover the tracks, so for sure they know how to hard reset a phone (I'm still looking for my Asus P535. For sure is now hardreseted and IMEI diferent, and also had GPS. It was stealed 1 year ago).

powersquad

Jun 14, 2009
Install this. It's FREE. If a theif changes the sim card, you will automatically recieve an SMS to the numbers you have configured in the software. You will recieve his phone number + IMEI details. Configure your e-mail address and atleast 2 different phone numbers in the software so once you recieve the theifs new phone number or if he has not changed the sim card then you can send a special text message (read software tutorial) to you sim card or theifs new sim card which will activate the gps and text the co-ordinates to the nominated phone numbers you would have configured and an e-mail with link to google maps showing exactly where the phone is.

This thing works 100%. My house was under google maps with the right house and street address. I was stunned.

Also a thief is not literate enough to jump aboard XDA forum and search "How to hard reset a Touch Pro 2". They don't have time and most don't even know that technology like this exists.

Also once the Hard SPL comes out for TP2 and Cooked roms start releasing, you can either cook your own ROM with this software pre-installed with the right settings or request someone to cook a ROM for you with the right e-mail and phone number settings you want so even if a theif does a hard reset, software will still be installed again with those settings.

And to uninstall this software, theif needs to enter the password which you need to configure. I recommend you go through the tutorial.

oh and IMPORTANT. Install this to device memory because if he takes out your memory card and it's installed on the memory card then everything will be useless.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=394203

Last edited:

xdadJeroen

Jul 4, 2009
Dongen
wow powersquad.. that's sick software.. curious though if it works..
maybe that new 'phonecreeper' that the xda-member wrote could have possibilities of tracking your phone after theft when installing it on your own device?
Jeroen

sreejithb

Jul 17, 2009
Great!!

Wow.. That is infact real cool. Just wondering whether there are any advantages of using your software over, maybe, Ultimate Theft Alert.. Except for the price.. Just curious.

Thanks a million for this.

powersquad

Jun 14, 2009
It works 100%. I have tried changing sim card and I got the text of the new card's phone number on my 2 nominated numbers straight away. GPS Co-ordinates were both e-mailed and texted to my nominated number and e-mail address.

In order for e-mail to work you need to have an e-mail account configured on your phone already like hotmail or gmail.

Ultimate theft alert is paid. This is free since made by xda devs.

Black Phoenix

Jul 26, 2009
Portugal
Install this. It's FREE. If a theif changes the sim card, you will automatically recieve an SMS to the numbers you have configured in the software. You will recieve his phone number + IMEI details. Configure your e-mail address and atleast 2 different phone numbers in the software so once you recieve the theifs new phone number or if he has not changed the sim card then you can send a special text message (read software tutorial) to you sim card or theifs new sim card which will activate the gps and text the co-ordinates to the nominated phone numbers you would have configured and an e-mail with link to google maps showing exactly where the phone is.

This thing works 100%. My house was under google maps with the right house and street address. I was stunned.

Also a thief is not literate enough to jump aboard XDA forum and search "How to hard reset a Touch Pro 2". They don't have time and most don't even know that technology like this exists.

Also once the Hard SPL comes out for TP2 and Cooked roms start releasing, you can either cook your own ROM with this software pre-installed with the right settings or request someone to cook a ROM for you with the right e-mail and phone number settings you want so even if a theif does a hard reset, software will still be installed again with those settings.

And to uninstall this software, theif needs to enter the password which you need to configure. I recommend you go through the tutorial.

oh and IMPORTANT. Install this to device memory because if he takes out your memory card and it's installed on the memory card then everything will be useless.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=394203

I love that one, so thiefs are stupid... OK, nice one... Maybe one day you will became suprised...

mirage22

May 15, 2007
Dubai
hey... i agree with black phoenix completely... u never know these guys are too quick...

not unless the theif is some corporate theif, who wants ur data... i don't think he will leave ur phone without a hard-reset...

but for the first 10-20 minutes before he figures out how to do it.. i think a better solution than Ultimate Theft Alert is Maspware's Guardmobile

here is a small list of its features
* You can initiate an alarm and lock the device
* You can locate your device (GPS receiver is required)
* If your stolen device contains top secret data, you can do a hardreset remotely to erase all data!
* You can initiate a callback to overhear the thief
besides the above.. it also tells u if the sim card has changed... - which btw no foolish theif will do without first doing a hard-reset...

all the best... :)

Black Phoenix

Jul 26, 2009
Portugal
hey... i agree with black phoenix completely... u never know these guys are too quick...

not unless the theif is some corporate theif, who wants ur data... i don't think he will leave ur phone without a hard-reset...

but for the first 10-20 minutes before he figures out how to do it.. i think a better solution than Ultimate Theft Alert is Maspware's Guardmobile

here is a small list of its features
* You can initiate an alarm and lock the device
* You can locate your device (GPS receiver is required)
* If your stolen device contains top secret data, you can do a hardreset remotely to erase all data!
* You can initiate a callback to overhear the thief
besides the above.. it also tells u if the sim card has changed... - which btw no foolish theif will do without first doing a hard-reset...

all the best... :)

Finnaly someone that supports me. I was thinking that I were the only one with the idea that most think that are strange. Looks like lot of people in this forum still believe in Santa's or in the Easter Bunny.:D

If it was a hardware solution, directly solded in the Phone PCB, OK, that way I may garantee that you can return your phone, because his hard to bypass (if done correctly), but even those ways are bypassable sooner or later.

fraser

May 23, 2006
a thief is not literate enough to jump aboard XDA forum and search "How to hard reset a Touch Pro 2".http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=394203

I think they would do it to be honest, it would take ages to delete all of the contacts etc. A google for "reset touch pro 2" is all it takes.

However, once we have HardSPL we'll be able to burn these utilities into the ROM so that they survive a hard-reset. Thief has to be aware of this and know how to re-flash. That raises the bar considerably.

powersquad

Jun 14, 2009
lol, some people are just giving waay too much credit to theifs here. if they were literate and could afford an internet conncection to jump on google, they will not be theifs in the first place. all they care about is booze and drugs...

crazy talk

Jun 17, 2009
lol, some people are just giving waay too much credit to theifs here. if they were literate and could afford an internet conncection to jump on google, they will not be theifs in the first place. all they care about is booze and drugs...

you must have some really nice thieves in Europe. i've seen lots of things stolen for no other reason then to just steal something.

Dexter_Morgan

Dec 10, 2008
I recently had my phone (xperia) stolen. I had only recently flashed a new rom so it had wiped my anti-theft software. I bloody wish I had put it back on now.

Saying that I was abroad with no-data running, but at least I may have got a phone number by text. Then again the number to text to was my girlfreinds phone which was also taken. Oh well!

It is very likely a thief will reset the phone ASAP, but some thieves will be opportunists who see something shiny and expensive looking to steal and wont be that technologically savvy.

In that case the software may well pay off (ignoring my senerio above).

Black Phoenix

Jul 26, 2009
Portugal

And some people thinks that just because they are thiefs that don't have internet connections and not literate. That they do not think, they aren't smart... Come On...