[Q] I'm still using a 4.1.2 ROM. Can I upgrade straight to a 4.3 or 4.4 ROM?

Search This thread

trpnblies7

Jan 7, 2013
I haven't tried a new ROM in forever because I was satisfied with what I'd been using. Lately, though, my 4.1.2 ROM (SpeedBean All-Star) has gotten very slow and is starting to drain the battery faster than it used to. If I decide to try out a newer ROM (4.3 or 4.4), is there anything special I need to do apart from the usual wiping of everything?

Almite

Mar 24, 2013
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I haven't tried a new ROM in forever because I was satisfied with what I'd been using. Lately, though, my 4.1.2 ROM (SpeedBean All-Star) has gotten very slow and is starting to drain the battery faster than it used to. If I decide to try out a newer ROM (4.3 or 4.4), is there anything special I need to do apart from the usual wiping of everything?

If you're running a custom 4.1.2 rom you should only have to update to a newer 4.3+ compatiable recovery, such as TWRP 2.7.0.0 or CWM 6.0.3.7+, if you don't update the recovery it will most likely end up with boot looping after flashing a 4.3+ rom or possible file system corruption which ends up usually needing to go back to full stock rom to fix.

trpnblies7

Jan 7, 2013
If you're running a custom 4.1.2 rom you should only have to update to a newer 4.3+ compatiable recovery, such as TWRP 2.7.0.0 or CWM 6.0.3.7+, if you don't update the recovery it will most likely end up with boot looping after flashing a 4.3+ rom or possible file system corruption which ends up usually needing to go back to full stock rom to fix.

Thanks! I do already have the newest TWRP, so that shouldn't be an issue.

jondoe27

Mar 16, 2014
I found Slim 4.3.1 is the most stable with low battery and memory consumption if you want to try. Looks like 4.4 Kitkat but without bugs and shut downs.
Good luck!

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Thanks! I do already have the newest TWRP, so that shouldn't be an issue.
TWRP 2.7 lets a new ROMs to overwrite system setting in root directory (preload?) and prevents them from changing back to default. Restore from backup won't help. I've had a few problems with KitKat Roms after they changed a system sound settings to "LOW". Has used ODIN to reflush back to stock.

jondoe27

Mar 16, 2014
A new build of Beanstalk KitKat by "soundofmath" works very well on my Hercules. Can't find any bugs. The only problem is battery life but this is a common problem with all KitKats.I went with "conservative" and "row" kernel setting and it helps a little.

yamilexcolon

Apr 5, 2014
hello

hi if i have an android version 4.1.2 and CWM with kernel version 3.0.31 what can i do if a want to update CWM ?

Almite

Mar 24, 2013
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 8 Pro
hi if i have an android version 4.1.2 and CWM with kernel version 3.0.31 what can i do if a want to update CWM ?

Sounds like you are on stock rom, if so you would want to follow one of these guides here or here on getting rooted - you need a custom recovery to be able to install any custom rom, figure out what rom you plan on installing and check it's thread for what recovery version is needed.

yamilexcolon

Apr 5, 2014
Sounds like you are on stock rom, if so you would want to follow one of these guides here or here on getting rooted - you need a custom recovery to be able to install any custom rom, figure out what rom you plan on installing and check it's thread for what recovery version is needed.

but the android version has something to do with this

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

but the android version has something to do with this

the real problem i have is that i have already rooted i installed a rom called tweakwiz but since then my phone vibrates for no reason im trying to figure out what to do with this problem i have try to install another rom but the installation always abort and maybe i thought is because i have an old version of CWM idk but if you have a answer about this problem im having please let me know thank you

Almite

Mar 24, 2013
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 8 Pro
the real problem i have is that i have already rooted i installed a rom called tweakwiz but since then my phone vibrates for no reason im trying to figure out what to do with this problem i have try to install another rom but the installation always abort and maybe i thought is because i have an old version of CWM idk but if you have a answer about this problem im having please let me know thank you

What rom (link to it) are you installing?, also it cant hurt to update your recovery if using CWM to the lastest, but if you want to use TWRP then with a 4.1.2 rom use TWRP 2.5.0.0 or 2.6.0.0, or if a 4.3+ based rom use TWRP 2.7.0.0