[01-05-11]-GingerBreak Root Exploit...WORKING on S-OFF

Search This thread

MarylandCookie

May 13, 2010
Birmingham, UK
I have managed to S-OFF my Desire S and can confirm that GingerBreak v1.2 DOES work on a S-OFF DS.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1044765

Simply S-OFF your DS, install the app and run it.
You will get the following message:

"Not sure what happened here. Either the exploit failed or the reboot failed. Please reboot manually and see if you have SuperUser!"

Reboot your handset manually and you should have SuperUser installed with root access. However you will need to install busybox from the market manually or from within Titanium Backup.

Happy Rooting for those with S-OFF.

Attachments

• GingerBreak-v1.20.apk
    295.2 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

timbo007up

Sep 29, 2010
As long as you have s-on ita kinda useless, but it will give you root, its only temp though... But will give the devs some more working space, I do like!

baste07

Jun 22, 2009
Manila
yeah i tried this one out earlier, doesn't get the job done yet, but it is at the earlier stages, only a matter of time.

titus1

Feb 14, 2010
Okay, I've tried the GingerBreak1.1
The thing is, it rooted my S-ON Desire S with 128mb SD card that I made as a Gold Card inserted. But frustratingly a lot of applications has been force closing.
I did make the 8G memory card that comes with the package into a Gold Card, too. Assuming that it will be successful...but unfortunately, it is NOT.

I'm going to take out of my mind the whole rooting of Desire S for the meantime. Then visit XDA after a month or two...:cool:

MarylandCookie

May 13, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Okay, I've tried the GingerBreak1.1
The thing is, it rooted my S-ON Desire S with 128mb SD card that I made as a Gold Card inserted. But frustratingly a lot of applications has been force closing.
I did make the 8G memory card that comes with the package into a Gold Card, too. Assuming that it will be successful...but unfortunately, it is NOT.

I'm going to take out of my mind the whole rooting of Desire S for the meantime. Then visit XDA after a month or two...:cool:

You should post your findings in the apps thread so that the dev can fix/modify it where necessary. Can you provide a logcat too?

"ChainFires" post on Logcat:

Chainfire said:
For logcat you need adb, but no special priviliges. Run from command line:

adb logcat -d > logcat.txt

and voila you have the logcat. Also, the output of:

adb shell ls -l /system/bin/su

and

adb shell ls -l /system/app/*uper*

both before and after attempting the root, will be helpful for me! Note that the the result may be "nothing" - that is not weird.

titus1

Feb 14, 2010
Here, I was able to take a screenshot

20110423192045.jpg

Even if it was able to root it, the phone is almost unusable. Syncing icon is always there. Can\t use the browser..etc etc

baste07

Jun 22, 2009
Manila
i don't think it's rootable yet with the newest release. NAND lock is still there and not touched by the exploit.

chwads2k8

Oct 7, 2009
with 1.2 i can get root temp tho so that does work but apps go missing on mem card until i reboot phone but then lose root lol

chwads2k8

Oct 7, 2009
update on previous post can confirm i installed set cpu titanium backup. can give apps permission. tried installin busybox and realised the mem card not mounted and cant mount so i gotta reboot lol which will unroot :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have managed to S-OFF my Desire S and can confirm that GingerBreak v1.2 DOES work on a S-OFF DS.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1044765

Simply S-OFF your DS, install the app and run it.
    You will get the following message:

"Not sure what happened here. Either the exploit failed or the reboot failed. Please reboot manually and see if you have SuperUser!"

Reboot your handset manually and you should have SuperUser installed with root access. However you will need to install busybox from the market manually or from within Titanium Backup.

Happy Rooting for those with S-OFF.
    mmcblk0p17 "misc"
    mmcblk0p18 "hboot"
    mmcblk0p19 "splash1"
    mmcblk0p21 "recovery"
    mmcblk0p22 "boot"
    mmcblk0p25 "system"
    mmcblk0p26 "data"
    mmcblk0p27 "cache"
    mmcblk0p28 "devlog"
    mmcblk0p29 "pdata"

Radio partition ?

backup your recovery with terminal or adb:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21 of=/mnt/sdcard/part21.img

flash your recovery with terminal or adb:
    dd if=/mnt/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21

it finish without errors if you are s-off .
    if you are s-on you can only backup partitions

hope someone can use this info

THX
    marsdroid