ZTE official 2.6.35 kernel source for ZTE Blade will be released recently

Search This thread

bingo1991

Dec 14, 2011
Chengdu
2012.02.09 posted

Traveling for more than 20 hours, exhausted right now.
Hurried to pay network fees for the school network, see my post,found that the ZTE officials responded, see the following:

Coming from mobile@zte.com.cn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear users:
Hello!
Thank you for your support and interest in the ZTE products;
We has plans recently to release the Blade(V880) (International Edition) 2.6.35 kernel source code on the ZTE official phone support site, please keep attention with it;
As for the Blade(V880) Unicom version for mainland China, the official does not support the Android 2.3 system.Thus,it would not be include in the kernel source.
If you have any other questions, please contact us or please call the customer service hotline 0755-26779999 or 400-880-9999, we will be happy to serve you! Thank you!
I wish you:
Good health! Work happy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a relatively significant results achieved since the release of my article.

You can search the link of my original post by google.
But it's in Chinese,to help you to get to know it,I will translate it to English as following.
Since my English is not good,I hope you can know the general idea of my article.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012.02.06 posted

Is very hard to type so many words, worked so hard to write the article,just for two purpose:
First,to let all Blade(V880) users get access to know an important information, ie, mobile phone manufacturers open source really means what?
The other wish is,to express a strong sound to ZTE officials, that is, we really need you to open up the kernel source code.

Mobile phone manufacturers open-source means what to commom users?
For the Android source code, always means Android system source code and the Android Linux kernel source code.
The Android system source code released by the official Google, some Mod team (such as CyanogenMod) release modifide the source code.
The open source I mentioned here, refers to the kernel source code.
Linux and its kernel, here only a brief description, not too much introduction, if you are interested with it,google can help you a lot.

First, we know, the Android system is based on the linux kernel, the most common platform architecture is arm.
The linux kernel can be considered to be an underlying system, which is responsible for hardware drivers and process management and resource call.
Linux kernel source code from the linux community and internal contains the source code for each platform's hardware drivers.
With any specific Android phone, the hardware configuration is not all the same.
In order to perfect run, a targeted kernel must be especially compiled for it.
What is targeted means?
Adding the appropriate driver code for the debice ,which not included in the common hardware driver support list of the original kernel source;
Some features and drivers which would not suit or not need for the target machine should best not be compiled into the kernel, to save system resources and improve the efficiency of the running kernel;
some special needs of the upper system (such as swap) should be compiled in the kernel.

ZTE Blade(V880) can the most complex mobile phone in the world, not one of.
In fact, its own hardware structure is not complicated ;It is different version, different batches of the machine hardware model being very complex.
Complex version: common overseas such as British oranges, Germany BASE, Japan's Softbank, Switzerland, Singapore...;
The Unicom version for mainland China (Model V880 and V880+), the Hong Kong version, the Asia-Pacific version.
Complex batch: especially the Unicom customized version of the machine of April, July,August, September, November and other batch.

The V880 various versions of hardware model is inconsistent, this is nothing to blame.
As for the domestic configuration is lower than the overseas version of the configuration, ZTE's strategy, I declined to comment.
The biggest problem is the domestic version of each batch of hardware models are complex and variable.
The most obvious phenomenon is that when a new purchased V880 was using an unofficial 3rd Rom, there always some hardware can not work proper.

For example, recently several V880 + users asked why they could not find a Android 2.3 Rom which support swap and hardware works well at the same time.
Before this ,you should know that the blade for China mainland does not has official Android 2.3 support.
I just explained: original official leaked 2.6.35 kernel from overseas, can normally driven man V880 hardware, sensors are normal, but does not support swap;
Why 3rd Rom makers do not add swap support to it?
The linux kernel does not like the .apk package can decompile out, it has to be overall re-compile.
When recompiling, you should link all the source code but not only the swap parts.
The problem is due to the complexity of the hardware models, in order to compile a commom kernel for variable batch, we need to add more driver code.
More difficult, the ZTE officials did not announce new hardware model of change, not to mention its driver source code.
The result is,when recompile the kernel to add the swap function, we do not know which driver to be add in due to the variable hardware model.
The official original kernel,hardware is running well, but does not support swap; 3rd compiled kernel support swap, but always leave some of the hardware does not work properly.

If ZTE Corporation release the 35 kernel source code (containing the driver source code of the various batches of different models of hardware),
Problems such as the V880 + have, would not be a problem.
This is the significance of open kernel source code:
Drive better, more powerful third party compiled the kernel, and can more better 3rd Rom, new functions and new features.

Burstlam has being the leader in developing Rom for balde (V880) for a long time.
He has complained many times in his articles about ZTE's not releasing the kernel source,there is a part of his article which he release his Android 4.0.3 Beta Edition:

First, note that is also a major problem in the capture of the GPU core part is already there has been progress, but unfortunately there were no suitable ADRENO chip library file to do the actual test.
Because currently 7X27 only use the ARM V6 platform with chip combination ADRENO. Be able to find updated versions of library files are just ARMV7 platform ...
I have not aimed to look ZTE will do, only aims to look SONY X8 for the same configuration update, and then have a chance to really hard solution.

I think that if ZTE can release a V880 kernel source code, Burstlam will be quite happy, of course, all the V880 users will be more happy.

On the android 4.0, to correct a misunderstanding, the ICS does not necessarily need the linux 3.0 kernel,where 2.6.35 kernel is also OK.
That means, if the 35 kernel source code released, the process of android 4.0 on the Balde(V880) will be accelerated;
Another information, MIUI v4 will organize code more portability, MIUI may be used on Blade(V880) when ICS can be perfect run.

In fact, ZTE announced earlier by the 2.6.32 kernel source code; 35 kernel source code, not know the reson, has been reluctant to release.
Look at other mobile phone manufacturers, such as
HTC, already announced a large number of models of the 35 kernel source at
*****sorry ,new menmber has no right to post outside links*****
Samsung has been open source release page
In addition, domestic Huawei also released its classic models U8800/U8800 of + 35 kernel source ...

So those whose balde(V880) does not work proper,
those who tried of finding patch for your Rom,
those who eager to early using a perfect Android 4.0,
those who have similar hardware configuration mobile With Blade(V880),
those who think this article is helpfull for you,

Be sure a lot of click, reply, vote and reproduced,so that more people aan see this,
To let the ZTE official developers see the majority of the user's requirements.
Personally think that send an email to the ZTE also a good way to express your wish to ZTE officials.

ZTE's handset division, e-mail address: mobile@zte.com.cn

Replies are stereotyped as we reflect, ZTE (Is it a computer auto-reply?):

Dear users:
Hello!
Thank you for contacting us.
Phone kernel source code can not open, please understand us!
If you have other questions, please contact us or please call the customer service hotline 0755-26779999 or 400-880-9999, we will be happy to serve you! Thank you!
I wish you:
Good health! Work happy!

Why other manufacturers can open the kernel source code, while ZTE can not?
I do not know here, "Unable to open" ,is for what reasons and for what consideration, in short, the answer is not satisfactory.
Hope you continue pay attention about this article, untill ZTE release the source code.
(At least given the model of the new hardware,so we can go to the hardware vendors to find the driver code)

PS: I knew how much influence can initiate a lot of people to participate in the petitions, just sincerely hope that brings together the power of the masses,
Clicks,reply, multi reproduced, so that the ZTE official to hear the voice of the user's and the early release of the 35 kernel source code.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapier07 and wbaw

xboxee

Mar 8, 2009
great news.

my proximity sensor (v880+) works only on official rom. kernel is 2.6.35.7.

so when will it be released? in a week? month?

wbaw

Great news. ZTE are always slow to release Linux kernel source code, despite the requirements of the GPL. Keep pushing them.

ZTE Blade/Libras have Android 2.3.5 & a more recent build of the 2.6.35 kernel than ZTE have released source code for so far, including better hardware support for new models.

xboxee

Mar 8, 2009
well, i just got an email from zte on their plans to release the v880 kernel,

Dear Sir / Ma’am,
Thanks for contacting ZTE.
We don't have this plan now.
Thanks for your understading.
Best Regards

Reactions: wbaw

wbaw

Dear Sir / Ma’am,
Best Regards

I got a similar reply last year. Probably wouldn't hurt to remind them about their source code release obligations at regular intervals.

What they need to understand is if they don't release complete kernel source code for every compiled kernel then they're effectively selling phones with pirate software.

They're breaking the terms of the copyright license that the Linux kernel was given to them under & which allows them to sell Android devices (GPL v2) which says that they must release complete source code.

xboxee

Mar 8, 2009
I got a similar reply last year. Probably wouldn't hurt to remind them about their source code release obligations at regular intervals.

What they need to understand is if they don't release complete kernel source code for every compiled kernel then they're effectively selling phones with pirate software.

They're breaking the terms of the copyright license that the Linux kernel was given to them under & which allows them to sell Android devices (GPL v2) which says that they must release complete source code.

actually i got a prompt reply from them. and in my second letter i reminded about GPL and my non-working proximity sensor (in fact, absence of proper kernel driver for it). it this is what they said

Dear Sir / Ma’am,
Please contact the local dealer where you purchased the device or network operator to upgrade your device.
Should there be further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Best Regards

just wrote another letter, well, let's see.

Last edited:

bingo1991

Dec 14, 2011
Chengdu

Dear Sir / Ma’am,
Best Regards

Well,a lot of Chinese V880 users got the e-mail as following(of course,in Chinese):

尊敬的用户:
您 好!
感谢您对中兴产品的支持和关注;
我司已计划近期公布V880(国际版)2.6.35内核源代码到中兴官方手机支持网站,请您留意;
V880国内版本,官方不支持Android 2.3 系统;
如您还有其它问题请及时联系我们,或欢迎拨打客服热线0755-26779999或400-880-9999,我们将竭诚为您提供服务!谢谢!
祝您:
身体健康!工作开心!

The reply of ZTE is positive.
If you have any doubt,just wait for official news.

Last edited:
Reactions: wbaw

xboxee

Mar 8, 2009
Well,a lot of Chinese V880 users got the e-mail as following(of course,in Chinese):

尊敬的用户:
您 好!
感谢您对中兴产品的支持和关注;
祝您:
身体健康!工作开心!

If you have any doubt

ok, but when? this is what i was asking about. it seems (taking into consideration replies to my letters) like 2 divisons just don't know what either of them do.

wbaw

actually i got a prompt reply from them. and in my second letter i reminded about GPL and my non-working proximity sensor (in fact, absence of proper kernel driver for it). it this is what they said

Dear Sir / Ma’am,
Please contact the local dealer where you purchased the device or network operator to upgrade your device.
Should there be further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Best Regards

just wrote another letter, well, let's see.

Well, following the GPL the person or company that distributed the compiled software to you is responsible for providing the source code on request. So that would be the retailer of your phone, for the source code of the kernel on your phone when it was sold. ZTE would only have to supply the source code to the next company in the supply chain, strictly speaking, if they weren't distributing rom updates.

I believe ZTE are distributing compiled 2.6.35 Blade kernels directly through their update server to people with Blades or Libras bought in some countries. Those kernels are clearly slightly later versions with more modifications than are in the 2.6.35 kernel source which they've released for their other devices. The new wifi driver in zte roms refuses to load with a kernel compiled from their source, some new hardware in newer models of the phone doesn't work either. The wifi driver says it's GPL too, if you grep the binary, no source code for that yet either - unfortunately qualcomm probably own all the copyright on that.

Anyway, we can't take legal action, the only thing we've got is a bit of pester power. Hopefully they'll take notice that at least a few of their customers want GPL compliance. Only a copyright holder, like a Linux kernel developer, or busybox developer could take action.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

尊敬的用户:
您 好!
感谢您对中兴产品的支持和关注;
祝您:
身体健康!工作开心!

Sounds good. Hopefully we'll have some kernel source code updates from ZTE soon.

I think there are some language problems when we try emailing zte.com.cn in English. The English speakers there don't seem to understand that they're using the Linux kernel, which is GPL, which legally obliges them to release the source code for all the different versions that they use, at least if they want to keep selling phones in Europe & the USA.

English translation of the Chinese text, from Google...
Dear users:
Hello!
Division I has plans recently announced the V880 (International Edition) 2.6.35 kernel source code to the ZTE official phone support site, please pay attention;
The V880 domestic version, the official does not support the Android 2.3 system;
If you have other questions, please contact us or please call the customer service hotline 0755-26779999 or 400-880-9999, we will be happy to serve you! Thank you!
I wish you:
Good health! Work happy!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2012.02.09 posted

Traveling for more than 20 hours, exhausted right now.
    Hurried to pay network fees for the school network, see my post,found that the ZTE officials responded, see the following:

Coming from mobile@zte.com.cn
    Dear users:
    Hello!
    We has plans recently to release the Blade(V880) (International Edition) 2.6.35 kernel source code on the ZTE official phone support site, please keep attention with it;
    As for the Blade(V880) Unicom version for mainland China, the official does not support the Android 2.3 system.Thus,it would not be include in the kernel source.
    If you have any other questions, please contact us or please call the customer service hotline 0755-26779999 or 400-880-9999, we will be happy to serve you! Thank you!
    I wish you:
    Good health! Work happy!

This is a relatively significant results achieved since the release of my article.

You can search the link of my original post by google.
    But it's in Chinese,to help you to get to know it,I will translate it to English as following.
    Since my English is not good,I hope you can know the general idea of my article.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2012.02.06 posted

Is very hard to type so many words, worked so hard to write the article,just for two purpose:
    First,to let all Blade(V880) users get access to know an important information, ie, mobile phone manufacturers open source really means what?
    The other wish is,to express a strong sound to ZTE officials, that is, we really need you to open up the kernel source code.

Mobile phone manufacturers open-source means what to commom users?
    For the Android source code, always means Android system source code and the Android Linux kernel source code.
    The Android system source code released by the official Google, some Mod team (such as CyanogenMod) release modifide the source code.
    The open source I mentioned here, refers to the kernel source code.
    Linux and its kernel, here only a brief description, not too much introduction, if you are interested with it,google can help you a lot.

First, we know, the Android system is based on the linux kernel, the most common platform architecture is arm.
    The linux kernel can be considered to be an underlying system, which is responsible for hardware drivers and process management and resource call.
    Linux kernel source code from the linux community and internal contains the source code for each platform's hardware drivers.
    With any specific Android phone, the hardware configuration is not all the same.
    In order to perfect run, a targeted kernel must be especially compiled for it.
    What is targeted means?
    Adding the appropriate driver code for the debice ,which not included in the common hardware driver support list of the original kernel source;
    Some features and drivers which would not suit or not need for the target machine should best not be compiled into the kernel, to save system resources and improve the efficiency of the running kernel;
    some special needs of the upper system (such as swap) should be compiled in the kernel.

ZTE Blade(V880) can the most complex mobile phone in the world, not one of.
    In fact, its own hardware structure is not complicated ;It is different version, different batches of the machine hardware model being very complex.
    Complex version: common overseas such as British oranges, Germany BASE, Japan's Softbank, Switzerland, Singapore...;
    The Unicom version for mainland China (Model V880 and V880+), the Hong Kong version, the Asia-Pacific version.
    Complex batch: especially the Unicom customized version of the machine of April, July,August, September, November and other batch.

The V880 various versions of hardware model is inconsistent, this is nothing to blame.
    As for the domestic configuration is lower than the overseas version of the configuration, ZTE's strategy, I declined to comment.
    The biggest problem is the domestic version of each batch of hardware models are complex and variable.
    The most obvious phenomenon is that when a new purchased V880 was using an unofficial 3rd Rom, there always some hardware can not work proper.

For example, recently several V880 + users asked why they could not find a Android 2.3 Rom which support swap and hardware works well at the same time.
    Before this ,you should know that the blade for China mainland does not has official Android 2.3 support.
    I just explained: original official leaked 2.6.35 kernel from overseas, can normally driven man V880 hardware, sensors are normal, but does not support swap;
    Why 3rd Rom makers do not add swap support to it?
    The linux kernel does not like the .apk package can decompile out, it has to be overall re-compile.
    When recompiling, you should link all the source code but not only the swap parts.
    The problem is due to the complexity of the hardware models, in order to compile a commom kernel for variable batch, we need to add more driver code.
    More difficult, the ZTE officials did not announce new hardware model of change, not to mention its driver source code.
    The result is,when recompile the kernel to add the swap function, we do not know which driver to be add in due to the variable hardware model.
    The official original kernel,hardware is running well, but does not support swap; 3rd compiled kernel support swap, but always leave some of the hardware does not work properly.

If ZTE Corporation release the 35 kernel source code (containing the driver source code of the various batches of different models of hardware),
    Problems such as the V880 + have, would not be a problem.
    This is the significance of open kernel source code:
    Drive better, more powerful third party compiled the kernel, and can more better 3rd Rom, new functions and new features.

Burstlam has being the leader in developing Rom for balde (V880) for a long time.
    He has complained many times in his articles about ZTE's not releasing the kernel source,there is a part of his article which he release his Android 4.0.3 Beta Edition:

First, note that is also a major problem in the capture of the GPU core part is already there has been progress, but unfortunately there were no suitable ADRENO chip library file to do the actual test.
    Because currently 7X27 only use the ARM V6 platform with chip combination ADRENO. Be able to find updated versions of library files are just ARMV7 platform ...
    I have not aimed to look ZTE will do, only aims to look SONY X8 for the same configuration update, and then have a chance to really hard solution.

I think that if ZTE can release a V880 kernel source code, Burstlam will be quite happy, of course, all the V880 users will be more happy.

On the android 4.0, to correct a misunderstanding, the ICS does not necessarily need the linux 3.0 kernel,where 2.6.35 kernel is also OK.
    That means, if the 35 kernel source code released, the process of android 4.0 on the Balde(V880) will be accelerated;
    Another information, MIUI v4 will organize code more portability, MIUI may be used on Blade(V880) when ICS can be perfect run.

In fact, ZTE announced earlier by the 2.6.32 kernel source code; 35 kernel source code, not know the reson, has been reluctant to release.
    Look at other mobile phone manufacturers, such as
    HTC, already announced a large number of models of the 35 kernel source at
    Samsung has been open source release page
    In addition, domestic Huawei also released its classic models U8800/U8800 of + 35 kernel source ...

So those whose balde(V880) does not work proper,
    those who tried of finding patch for your Rom,
    those who eager to early using a perfect Android 4.0,
    those who have similar hardware configuration mobile With Blade(V880),
    those who think this article is helpfull for you,

Be sure a lot of click, reply, vote and reproduced,so that more people aan see this,
    To let the ZTE official developers see the majority of the user's requirements.
    Personally think that send an email to the ZTE also a good way to express your wish to ZTE officials.

ZTE's handset division, e-mail address: mobile@zte.com.cn

Replies are stereotyped as we reflect, ZTE (Is it a computer auto-reply?):

Dear users:
    Hello!
    Thank you for contacting us.
    Phone kernel source code can not open, please understand us!
    I wish you:
    Good health! Work happy!

Why other manufacturers can open the kernel source code, while ZTE can not?
    I do not know here, "Unable to open" ,is for what reasons and for what consideration, in short, the answer is not satisfactory.
    Hope you continue pay attention about this article, untill ZTE release the source code.
    (At least given the model of the new hardware,so we can go to the hardware vendors to find the driver code)

PS: I knew how much influence can initiate a lot of people to participate in the petitions, just sincerely hope that brings together the power of the masses,
    Clicks,reply, multi reproduced, so that the ZTE official to hear the voice of the user's and the early release of the 35 kernel source code.

Dear Sir / Ma’am,
    Best Regards

Dear Sir / Ma’am,
    Best Regards

尊敬的用户:
    您 好!
    感谢您对中兴产品的支持和关注;
    祝您:
    身体健康!工作开心!