Camera Lens Scratches

Search This thread

Shamestick

Oct 21, 2012
Does the type of toothpaste matter? Or is there a certain ingredient that is necessary?

Redline80

Oct 24, 2012
Toothpaste and a q-tip worked great for me. I'm assuming any whitening toothpaste would work because it has a small amount of grit to it. I'm glad I found this thread because my pictures have been absolutely horrible lately. Night and day difference now.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Toothpaste and a q-tip worked great for me. I'm assuming any whitening toothpaste would work because it has a small amount of grit to it. I'm glad I found this thread because my pictures have been absolutely horrible lately. Night and day difference now.
Seriously, I'm very frustrated with htc for having this issue in the first place.

Good news is the glass itself seems pretty scratch resistant. Taken my phone to the beach and softball games and hasn't gotten a scratch yet. Pretty anal about my phone besides that, but it's holding up pretty good after removing that useless film.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

schwartz.matthew.e

Sep 17, 2013
Tooth paste and rubbing alcohol. Q tip. There ya go. Easy. Go do it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 AM ----------

Does the type of toothpaste matter? Or is there a certain ingredient that is necessary?
It doesn't matter.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

gonzo237

May 16, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
Samsung Galaxy S21
Yeah, I too had a blurry problem, turns out it was just grime from over time. I used a drop alcohol and the edge of my credit card and it was amazing the change it made. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures though

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
Just got off the chat line with an HTC rep and he described the lens cover as "a lightweight, resistant material" that "provides adequate protection" but "may wear if not careful." I said that sounded like plastic or polycarbonate and he said it was a "combination of resistant materials" but wouldn't actually call it plastic and never even mentioned it being glass.

Johanre

Jul 14, 2012
Just got off the chat line with an HTC rep and he described the lens cover as "a lightweight, resistant material" that "provides adequate protection" but "may wear if not careful." I said that sounded like plastic or polycarbonate and he said it was a "combination of resistant materials" but wouldn't actually call it plastic and never even mentioned it being glass.

I can confirm that the lens cover is plastic, as I removed mine and replaced it with a sapphire window (12.0mm x 1.0 mm). It was very expensive and probably not a good solution for most, but I couldn't take having a premium phone with a piece of cheap plastic covering the camera.

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
I can confirm that the lens cover is plastic, as I removed mine and replaced it with a sapphire window (12.0mm x 1.0 mm). It was very expensive and probably not a good solution for most, but I couldn't take having a premium phone with a piece of cheap plastic covering the camera.

How expensive and how much work?

Johanre

Jul 14, 2012

I had an HTC Desire that I replaced the lens cover with a sapphire window from Edmund Optics for about $30 plus a few bucks shipping, but I couldn't find the right size domestically. I ended up ordering from an English company (Crystan) for £30 plus shipping. Without asking, they sent it two-day shipping for £20 (ouch!)

To install, I scored around the original lens cover with a needle to remove what appeared to be adhesive. A jeweler's loupe came in handy here. Eventually, I was able to pry the lens cover off (with the needle) in broken pieces. The lens cover is adhered to a rubber-like base (a lot of folks have noticed that the lens cover seems to float a bit when pressed) and I would recommend heating the area before trying to remove (I didn't). Once off, I installed the sapphire window (12.0mm x 1.0mm is a perfect fit) and applied pressure all around and it seems to have adhered to the rubber base OK. I've had it on for a couple of weeks with no problems. The only thing that is different (other than the extreme clarity and hardness) is the original had black paint on the back to decrease the aperture. This doesn't seem to cause any problems, but in some circumstances may cause some adverse effects. I haven't seen any yet, though.

Hope this answers your question..

Last edited:
Reactions: garywojdan81

jocbaz

May 10, 2011
Earth
HTC One M8 worst camera lens cover EVER!

Hi there,

Yes, we have 3 HTC One M8 and all of them had really bad micro scratches (foggy-like). we have had HTC Evos 4G and never had that issue before. Now the picture quality sucks! on all of them.

HTC should to a RECALL for all of the HTC One M8's and have replaced the glass cover for the main rear camera.
:fingers-crossed:

Thank you

So had the M8 for about a month wrapped it i a slick skin and has a case on it. Yesterday i noticed the camera lens has a ton of fine scratches.

Has anyone else notice this?

You would think that the camera glass would have been made out of gorilla glass also.

Ugh HTC now i know why i have avoided you.

would post a pick but cannot get the camera to focus on the scratches.

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
Hi there,

Yes, we have 3 HTC One M8 and all of them had really bad micro scratches (foggy-like). we have had HTC Evos 4G and never had that issue before. Now the picture quality sucks! on all of them.

HTC should to a RECALL for all of the HTC One M8's and have replaced the glass cover for the main rear camera.
:fingers-crossed:

Thank you
This has been discussed extensively. You can get rid of the coating on the lenses that causes the scratches, or you can get the lens protectors that are sold by Slickdeals.

drumz0rz

Mar 22, 2011
So glad it's not my actually glass! I noticed these hairline 'scratches' appear in the last two weeks and they drive me nuts. One goes right across the lens so at night all lights have streaks and during the day things are fussy.

Has anyone removed this coating and found they still get scratches? I'm just worried that by removing the oil-phobic layer I'm opening myself up to actual glass scratches which, short of buffing the tiny surface, are permanent.

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
This has been discussed extensively. You can get rid of the coating on the lenses that causes the scratches, or you can get the lens protectors that are sold by Slickdeals.

Just an fyi, the slickdeals protectors aren't all they're cracked up to be. They're very cloudy and aren't even the PET grade of film.

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
I've had them on my phone for a while and my photos turn out fine. The lenses are fine too.[emoji106]

Glad they worked out for you. The ones they sent me were very hazy. They did make great templates for cutting some from better material though.

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
So glad it's not my actually glass! I noticed these hairline 'scratches' appear in the last two weeks and they drive me nuts. One goes right across the lens so at night all lights have streaks and during the day things are fussy.

Has anyone removed this coating and found they still get scratches? I'm just worried that by removing the oil-phobic layer I'm opening myself up to actual glass scratches which, short of buffing the tiny surface, are permanent.
I removed the film about a week ago using a drop off water and a credit card. So far, my lens is still in excellent shape. I'll report back in a month or so.

Reactions: RikRong

CannedBullets

Jun 25, 2014
SF Bay Area
If worse comes to worse you can send it back to HTC customer support. That's what I did, I went with the option where they would ship me a new M8 while I sent the scratched lens M8 back to them.

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
If worse comes to worse you can send it back to HTC customer support. That's what I did, I went with the option where they would ship me a new M8 while I sent the scratched lens M8 back to them.
I was going to do this, bit after a quick Google search realized it's not the lens that's scratched. Found a simple method to remove the film and 5 minutes later my lens was crystal clear.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    noticed this on my daughter's m8 today when I went to take a pic for her. Luckily had a moist paper towel in my hand and that was enough to rub off enough of the scratches bear the actual lense. Not sure if I'm gonna even bother to remove the rest now. The difference was instantly night and day.

Before
    zete3ysu.jpg

After
    ydegatus.jpg

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
    Known issue. Android central has a huge thread on it. There's a coating over the lens that gets scratched and you can take the coating off with alcohol. Slickwraps sells a lens protector for this issue.
    I'd pick this over using toothpaste, works faster, has no abrasive material, and no chemicals. I put a camera protector on it immediately after cleaning it. Very pleased with the results.

I don't want to be pedantic however a "Magic Eraser" is nothing but an abrasive material. It's melamine foam which when solidified in to the sponge like form because nearly as hard as glass. The micro-structure is so fine that it acts like an incredibly high grit sandpaper. When you rub the camera lens you are simply polishing the scratches away (removing a thin layer of the lens thickness).

The front glass of the phone is harder than the melamine so you won't remove any scratches from that surface (but you may remove any coatings).

I had an HTC Desire that I replaced the lens cover with a sapphire window from Edmund Optics for about $30 plus a few bucks shipping, but I couldn't find the right size domestically. I ended up ordering from an English company (Crystan) for £30 plus shipping. Without asking, they sent it two-day shipping for £20 (ouch!)

To install, I scored around the original lens cover with a needle to remove what appeared to be adhesive. A jeweler's loupe came in handy here. Eventually, I was able to pry the lens cover off (with the needle) in broken pieces. The lens cover is adhered to a rubber-like base (a lot of folks have noticed that the lens cover seems to float a bit when pressed) and I would recommend heating the area before trying to remove (I didn't). Once off, I installed the sapphire window (12.0mm x 1.0mm is a perfect fit) and applied pressure all around and it seems to have adhered to the rubber base OK. I've had it on for a couple of weeks with no problems. The only thing that is different (other than the extreme clarity and hardness) is the original had black paint on the back to decrease the aperture. This doesn't seem to cause any problems, but in some circumstances may cause some adverse effects. I haven't seen any yet, though.

Hope this answers your question..

I removed the film about a week ago using a drop off water and a credit card. So far, my lens is still in excellent shape. I'll report back in a month or so.