Digital Car - Front end for Android tablet

Search This thread

85gallon

Did someone say JEEP? :D

Attached!

It would also be nice to have just a png of the halo used in the stock logos. So we could incorporate it in custom logos.

Attachments

• jeep.png
    jeep.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Reactions: royalhawk2002

morgan.smario

Jul 17, 2013
Just Downloaded

So far an amazing app. Just a few questions. How do I use or change the center picture? The GPS and the settings for mph? I'm still playing around with this and really like it so far!! Can't wait to put it in my car.

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
So far an amazing app. Just a few questions. How do I use or change the center picture? The GPS and the settings for mph? I'm still playing around with this and really like it so far!! Can't wait to put it in my car.

Well if you're playing around with it, you'll find the settings menu in the app :p

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Free mobile app

morgan.smario

Jul 17, 2013
It only allows me to change the background wallpaper. Nothing more. Talking about the gear in the top left corner center?

royalhawk2002

Sep 21, 2008
Avezzano
Just joined the tester group. ..I will try soon this app on my pure android 4.0.3 S150 2 din head unit. ..

Inviato dal mio SM-G7102 utilizzando Tapatalk

royalhawk2002

Sep 21, 2008
Avezzano
I can't install the App on my WINCA S150 2 DIN Head Unit, running rooted Android 4.0.3. Seems that the app is not compatible with the unit....any workaround ?

royalhawk2002

Sep 21, 2008
Avezzano
Digital Car with Jeep logo running on my S150 2 DIN Android 4.0.3 Head Unit:

The internal MP3 player is not working and make the UI crash...all the other features are ok!

Attachments

• s150_dcr.jpg
    s150_dcr.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,082

pwood999

Jan 22, 2007
Just installed this on my Cube-7X Octo Core. Seems to work really well - excellent app.

Figured out the answer to the earlier question about removing saved shortcuts, do this :-
  • Connect tablet to PC, Mac, etc.
  • Enable USB Storage
  • Edit "userdata.xml" in the DigitalCar Settings Folder
  • Save & restart DC.

To all the peeps asking about detecting Power On/Off for Car Install, try this http://automateitapp.com

Mine is configured so when power goes off (ignition off), the app sets Airplane Mode, Blanks screen, Plus GPS, WiFi & BT off. This saves battery while car is parked. When power comes back on with Ignition, the app re-enables everything.

Pete

Last edited:
Reactions: royalhawk2002

CathalDub

Jan 20, 2015
I'm trying this with a HDMI Android stick(MK809iii) on Kitkat 4.4.2 rooted and getting the error others were wetting too, I've mock locations turned on in Developer options
"unfortunately, Digital Car has stopped" as soon as I open it, any ideas anyone?:confused:

Last edited:

Vansibel

Jan 23, 2015
I'm trying this with a HDMI Android stick(MK809iii) on Kitkat 4.4.2 rooted and getting the error others were wetting too, I've mock locations turned on in Developer options
"unfortunately, Digital Car has stopped" as soon as I open it, any ideas anyone?:confused:

Also had this problem on my stick, this is how I resolved it

1. Allow mock location and make sure you are getting gps data. For me I'm using a bluethooth gps receiver with Bluethooth gps app.
2. Open google maps --> Setting --> Google location setting, this will open the hidden Location menu. Set it to High accuracy
3. Open Digital car

Good luck

CathalDub

Jan 20, 2015
Also had this problem on my stick, this is how I resolved it

1. Allow mock location and make sure you are getting gps data. For me I'm using a bluethooth gps receiver with Bluethooth gps app.
2. Open google maps --> Setting --> Google location setting, this will open the hidden Location menu. Set it to High accuracy
3. Open Digital car

Good luck
Cool I'll try this later and see how I get on
Thanks

Vansibel

Jan 23, 2015
Great app, Android was in great need of an good car front end.

Possible improvements:

-I'm guessing many peoples will use this with an android stick, so it should not crash if gps data is not present out of the box
-Some people use hacked factory screen that don't support multi-touch/swipe, so it would be great if you could keep this in mind when developing the UI. For example, up/down arrow should be added when browsing the music
-Video thumbnails should be generated when browsing video trough the music player (maybe use a different view for bigger icon for videos)
-Possibility to play music full screen with some nice visualization would be great (maybe with something like a milkdrop plugin ?)
-Adding some features to the music player, like shuffle
-When choosing a background, please make the left and right arrow touch sensitive for people with screen without swipe capabilities
-Add an option to disable persistent Digital Car shortcut in other app and replace it with an invisible corner click (let the user choose the corner because some aftermarket unit already have a task assigned to a specific corner - just a click, no swipe please)
-Some unit like iVic-5D / iVic-5DR pair the touch feature of Toyota factory screen via Bluetooth as an input device. In most other music app (Ex: Google music player and even Youtube playlist) the steering wheel next/previous control work, but for some reason in does not with song played with the built in music player in Digital car (I'm guessing it emulate a keyboard key combination that skip track in most of the media player which is not implemented in digital car). Would be great is that could be fixed.

Great work overall, will be looking forward to the finished product

Last edited:

fred_spitfire

Jan 12, 2013
Great app, Android was in great need of an good car front end.

Possible improvements:

-I'm guessing many peoples will use this with an android stick, so it should not crash if gps data is not present out of the box
-Some people use hacked factory screen that don't support multi-touch/swipe, so it would be great if you could keep this in mind when developing the UI. For example, up/down arrow should be added when browsing the music
-Video thumbnails should be generated when browsing video trough the music player (maybe use a different view for bigger icon for videos)
-Possibility to play music full screen with some nice visualization would be great (maybe with something like a milkdrop plugin ?)
-Adding some features to the music player, like shuffle
-When choosing a background, please make the left and right arrow touch sensitive for people with screen without swipe capabilities
-Add an option to disable persistent Digital Car shortcut in other app and replace it with an invisible corner click (let the user choose the corner because some aftermarket unit already have a task assigned to a specific corner - just a click, no swipe please)
-Some unit like iVic-5D / iVic-5DR pair the touch feature of Toyota factory screen via Bluetooth as an input device. In most other music app (Ex: Google music player and even Youtube playlist) the steering wheel next/previous control work, but for some reason in does not with song played with the built in music player in Digital car (I'm guessing it emulate a keyboard key combination that skip track in most of the media player which is not implemented in digital car). Would be great is that could be fixed.

Great work overall, will be looking forward to the finished product

Great review! I wouldn't get my hopes up for the upgrades if I were you though, because I think the dev abandonned the project, haven't seen him in months either here or on his G+ page.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    dc-ad.jpg

Digital Car for Android out for testing...

To become part of the testing group you will need to do the following;

1. Go to the google community group CLICK HERE
    2 Join the group.
    3. Click to download the alpha version (top right)

You will now get updates as I release them :)

WATCH THE BELOW VIDEO SO YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT...

New in this version (Alpha 1.02)
    Moved releases over to the Play store
    Fixed 'out of memory' start error

New in this version (Alpha 0.21)
    Fixed AudioManager when moving between external players (Pandora / Spotify / Tunein etc..)
    Improved icon launcher, now preloads icons in to an array
    few other bits..

version (Alpha 0.2)
    Added 8 preset app buttons
    Added App Launcher
    Added Background chooser
    Added Power awareness
    Added Other media awareness, pauses for navigation / Tunein etc..
    Added lots more.. (apols, can't remember everything)

Power awareness -
    1st set your device to sleep to 15 seconds - go to settings, display, sleep = 15 sec'd
    plug in your device and start Digital Car for Android up
    When you unplug it, it will pause and then let it self go to within 15 seconds
    Plug it back in and it will start playing

Background -
    To set you own image as a background, goto your internal storage device and you will see a folder called DigitalCar/Backgrounds. Just store them in there and next time you start DC up it will have them included. Please keep the images around 100k so not to cause a bitmap loading error.

I still need to do lots more, mainly in the settings.

Have fun...... and please give me some feedback :)

XDA:DevDB Information
    Digital Car for Android, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    CdRsKuLL

Version Information

Created 2014-08-01
    Last Updated 2014-08-06
    Reaching Out

This is a plea for help from the developer. If development of this project cannot continue please release the source code. I've yet to find a better car front end and it would be a crying shame to have this go dark especially being so close to polished.
    This is my new skin. Icon of the car is stationary, rotating compass.
    NewSkin.png
    Great news!! Will be waiting the new release!

New version uploaded, should be available within the hour :)
    Made a bit of progress tonight :) You can now select mph or kph and choose a logo. All the logo's are in a folder you can add your own to if you wish.

Fixed some errors and improved lots of things (I hope).

settings.jpg

Hopefully get something up soon....

Steve