Is it possible Android / Flip up car stereo?

Search This thread

jfafard81

Feb 6, 2012
Panama City Beach
We have seen phones that have laptop docks for a bigger usable interface. We have seen phones hook into a huge touch screen monitor and work well. Would it be a feasible idea to have a phone plug into a flip up car stereo and mirror the touch screen. I use my phone all the time in the car whether its for music, navigation, information or anything else. It would be great to be able to plug my phone into my stereo and have a bigger touch screen right there on the radio. Just a thought and wondering if its possible.

Reactions: theeStig

schneidz

Dec 19, 2011
probably possible. i think it is more feasable to have a hole cut into the dash to house a 4.3'' fone with a usb/headfone jack.

Djay1809

Jan 7, 2011
HTC 10
Moto G Stylus 5G
It would be cool to see this thread flourish, Car mods! I'm trying to create a dock in my car for my phone, so that I cun use it to control my radio garage navigation or any other instance of automotive life, like even check the status of the engin.

drhunter

Jan 5, 2012
I fancy getting a cheap 5-7" tablet for this job - My 10.1 Gtab would look plain silly mounted as a sat nav and wouldn't last 5 minutes if left unattended.

Try using Vlingo or Google Car Home for starters. Vlingo will read your texts aloud and allow you to reply with using your hands. You can also start navigation or send messages completely hands free by saying "Hey Vlingo!" prompting it to auto listen for the next command.

Next up if the free version of Torque(or paid for if you need).
This connects to your car via a cheap bluetooth ODB2 device (~£15 on the bay)
This will give you access to readings such as mpg, speed and any engine error codes.
There are also plugins such as a video/data recorder.

I can't post links to the android market pages of these apps as I've not made 8 posts yet but they're easy to find!

jfafard81

Feb 6, 2012
Panama City Beach
My ultimate setup that I would like to see would be a radio that has a touch screen flip out that I can plug my phone into and have it mirror my phone. That way I wouldnt have to have a seperate tablet and phone that have a different setup. Essentially this would turn the radio into a mini tablet with your phone being the host for the screen. Thanks everyone for the replies!!

komigo

Feb 29, 2012
It has been my dream for a long time too… They have made it for iphone, maybe we will have it for android too some day.

Please make a google search with the string below (I am a noob. I am not allowed to post links yet):

telematicsnews.info/2011/05/21/video-iphone-screen-duplication-on-in-car-display-comes-to-aftermarket_my2211/

Cheers!

gplock

Oct 17, 2007
New Jersey---Dont Judge!
2nd this.
My ultimate setup that I would like to see would be a radio that has a touch screen flip out that I can plug my phone into and have it mirror my phone. That way I wouldnt have to have a seperate tablet and phone that have a different setup. Essentially this would turn the radio into a mini tablet with your phone being the host for the screen. Thanks everyone for the replies!!

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

@lchemist

Nov 15, 2011
Yes it is Possible !!!!!

We have seen phones that have laptop docks for a bigger usable interface. We have seen phones hook into a huge touch screen monitor and work well. Would it be a feasible idea to have a phone plug into a flip up car stereo and mirror the touch screen. I use my phone all the time in the car whether its for music, navigation, information or anything else. It would be great to be able to plug my phone into my stereo and have a bigger touch screen right there on the radio. Just a thought and wondering if its possible.

We already have a solution which works on rooted android device.
We can certainly help you.
PM for more details...

c707h3j

Mar 16, 2011
There is a kickstarter campaign product that allows you to combine your phone with the car stereo into a single double-DIN device. Currently, they have working faceplates for the iPhone 4 and 4S but they are developing Android ones as well.

Check it out: [I can't post external links but a simple search of "kickstarter dash" will take you right to it.]

Jan 22, 2012
Victoria
TFT LCD Developers Kit

There is a developers kit for a 7" TFT LCD, now I realize this is a full microprocessor board. It does run android, perhaps it has something in its code that is usable, or point to what hardware is required to interface with a smartphone.

Not enough posts yet, so just Google this:

LS6410 SAMSUNG ARM11 S3C6410 board kit 7" TFT LCD (Android)

tomqman

May 5, 2010
Ryde
love this thread . im going to get a nexus one or zte blade and mount it up to the space above my stereo . going to put a bigger antenna on it to help boost gps speed. hook it up to power . and have a full size sd card instead of micro sd . wire it to aux audio. it will music and navigation system.

larfburger

Mar 14, 2012
I just bought a 7.0 galaxy plus 3g with this in mind. I got rid of my phone when I bought this tablet too. I spoke on my phone 15 minutes last month and all that was in the car. I can do that with voip...

I intend to do this install on a 2011 wrx. I just bought the JDM radio bezel that is 6.8x3.9 inch cut out (stock usdm is 8" wide). With a bit of dremeling I should be able to slide my tablet directly into the top of the bezel. I plan to put a backing plate so it looks finished with the tab removed. I want removal to be painless. As I plan to use this tablet a lot.

I'll be completely nixing the head unit in my car. To provide power to the speakers I will buy a clarion equalizer and a smallish 300w 4 channel amp probably the nice alpine on amazon for 120 bucks.

Here's where the fun begins! Audio out should be no big deal. I found cables that split the 3.5mm trrs audio into audio out and mic input. So I'll just run rca outs to my clarion eq and run my mic into the device. Done!

My wrx has steering wheel controls. These tie into a stock unit typically. That's no fun. I plan to buy a sparkfun ioio with bluetooth and intercept the SWC signals. Then using the google ADK I can read the pin signals and respond to things like skip track, volume, mode (use mode to switch open apps), pick up, hang up and voice command. I also want to use the ioio to interface with the headlight dimmer and illumination as well.

I just got my tab a few days ago. My bezel should be coming in the mail early next week. Once the bezel is done, I'll rip out the head unit and do the amp and equalizer install. At that time I'll capture the steering wheel control voltages and start hacking on the ioio.

I'll start a project thread for all this once I do the amp install.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.