USB debugging mode after brick

Search This thread

niznet

Mar 19, 2010
Hi so I bought a used captivate off of ebay and tried to flash to stock (baseband was different) using the AIO tool but it was stuck and got bricked. I am now able to get into the download mode screen but I am not sure what to do next? If I use AIO again it says I need USB debugging mode so what do I do now?

Please help

speedy_11

Dec 17, 2010
Memphis
USB debbugging is not need to use Odin. It just needs download mode (USB debugging is need to for master clear). And your are not bricked, your softbricked.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

Last edited:

jack man

Nov 8, 2009
download Odin3 1 click. it will get you to stock without having to deal with the aio stuff. after it's downloaded, make sure it's running BEFORE you plug your phone to the computer. (phone should be in download mode). then click start and dont touch anything. advisable to to master clear after that. to master clear, phone is on and in debegging mode when plugged in.

Reactions: niznet

niznet

Mar 19, 2010
Thanks for the replys, Ill try it. I was confused about the different types of Odin softwares but I will try that then.

speedy_11

Dec 17, 2010
Memphis
Jackman, Odin one click is included in aio he just needs to ignore the USB debugging stuff.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

niznet

Mar 19, 2010
speedy_11, I have tried the AIO one click and when i click start it reads
"<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0/ failed 0)"

I just downloaded the standalone oden executable and it is doing something when i press the start. I can see a progress bar on the phone so I have hope.

How long does odin 1click downloader usually take?

niznet

Mar 19, 2010
yes, I have it connected to my motherboard but the progress have been idle for the last ten minutes. the log message reads.

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

It has been like that for a while now

speedy_11

Dec 17, 2010
Memphis
Try aging sometimes mine gets stuck like that. take out the battery and go back into download. and have Odin open before like jack man said.

Reactions: niznet

niznet

Mar 19, 2010
I retried and it got stuck a little further than last time. I think I will keep retrying.
What does the master clear button do? the Original Odin 1 click states how to use it but doesn't explain what it is.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks alot speedy and jack. I got it to finanally go stock. Had to try over half a dozen time. and worked the minute i switched a usb port.

Last edited:

speedy_11

Dec 17, 2010
Memphis
it deletes everything off your phone, but your phone needs to be on and have usb debugging on to work. Are you using a Samsung data cable?

leezrd

Nov 18, 2010
charleston,sc usa
Try using the odin one click back to stock by designgears in the development section

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

Scothran3

Oct 26, 2011
Campobello
I hope i have this in the right place....

I have recently successfully flashed odin one click to KJ3 stock with GB bootloaders and now when i have the debugging mode checked green and plug into the PC, it does not go into debugging mode.....
Im using samsung data cable and from the looks and feel of everything the entire phone is working just fine except for the debugging part....

Do i need to re-flash again back to a different rom all together?

Also one last question if you guys don't mind....i lost root when i moved from Froyo 2.2 KB2 to GB 2.3.5 Kj3.....can i use the same root method as i did with the Froyo?

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
For the debugging issue, try turning off the debugging, then go back to USB settings and select Mass storage, back out and turn on debugging. Now connect to ur computer and see if that helps.

For root, use the FuguRoot Mod or just use Heimdall or Odin to flash a Kernel (one of at least the kj3 base that u r on) that has Root baked in. Or just use SuperOneClick.

Sent by XDA Premium App

Last edited:
Reactions: Scothran3

Scothran3

Oct 26, 2011
Campobello
grrr
tried the mass storage thing and still nothing....

Also i found the KJ3 Boog kernel w/CWM...however i still need to wait til i get the debugging issue sorted out....grrr

Not 100% sure but i dont think i need to set my phone to Kies then debugging right?

BloodSkin

May 17, 2011
your phone has to be unplugged for you to enter debugging mode, so no, kies mode is not required.

so wait, what exactly is your issue now? debugging mode doesnt work, right?

how are you confirming that it does not work?

Last edited:

Scothran3

Oct 26, 2011
Campobello
Correct "Bloodskin": Debugging mode doesn't show up in status bar like it used to. (it used to give me the choice after plugging into PC between selecting "Debugging Mode" OR "USB Connection") I generally leave the USB setting on "Mass Storage" while also having the "Debugging Mode" checked
Now even with all of the "mentioned" possibilities that have now been explored...still no option shows up for me to select actual "Debugging Mode"
I have noticed that "Download Mode" is working equally as would "Debugging Mode" (only used when flashing .tar files via Odin)

I have gotten around this issue but it still stands that the Debugging option does not show up in the status bar after plugging into the PC. So there is no rush on finding the cause...(just simply confused is all lol)

Thank you in advance for everything thus far and still to come if any...?!

apbthe3

Mar 4, 2011
Correct "Bloodskin": Debugging mode doesn't show up in status bar like it used to. (it used to give me the choice after plugging into PC between selecting "Debugging Mode" OR "USB Connection") I generally leave the USB setting on "Mass Storage" while also having the "Debugging Mode" checked
Now even with all of the "mentioned" possibilities that have now been explored...still no option shows up for me to select actual "Debugging Mode"
I have noticed that "Download Mode" is working equally as would "Debugging Mode" (only used when flashing .tar files via Odin)

I have gotten around this issue but it still stands that the Debugging option does not show up in the status bar after plugging into the PC. So there is no rush on finding the cause...(just simply confused is all lol)

Thank you in advance for everything thus far and still to come if any...?!

I think I'm catching on to the issue; if I'm way off please forgive me.

USB debugging shows up in the status bar, but it is not something you select. It is just a notification that lets you know that it is on. A lot of custom ROMs turn the notification off because most of us just leave it on all the time, so it's annoying to have the notification any time the USB cord is plugged in. If you do click it, it just takes you to the development menu where you can turn it off. Unless you're trying to turn it off, selecting debugging from the notification bar isn't necessary, since if you have the notification debugging is already on.

Under settings / applications / development, is the USB Debugging box checked? If it is, debugging mode should be active. Depending on the ROM, there may or may not be an icon in the status bar. Have you tried using ADB without the icon to verify whether it is in fact working?

Scothran3

Oct 26, 2011
Campobello
Ahh yes you are right "3" ...right on the money!!!
that makes perfect sense..and yes it is always checked for me. Like you said we tend to leave it on all the time. Although i have not tried to see if it is actually working or not i truly believe you will be correct. Headed home now and will check when i get there.

Adam...thank you!! lookin forward to you guys next release of andromedas full package.

Ty both for your time with me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    download Odin3 1 click. it will get you to stock without having to deal with the aio stuff. after it's downloaded, make sure it's running BEFORE you plug your phone to the computer. (phone should be in download mode). then click start and dont touch anything. advisable to to master clear after that. to master clear, phone is on and in debegging mode when plugged in.
    Try aging sometimes mine gets stuck like that. take out the battery and go back into download. and have Odin open before like jack man said.
    For the debugging issue, try turning off the debugging, then go back to USB settings and select Mass storage, back out and turn on debugging. Now connect to ur computer and see if that helps.

For root, use the FuguRoot Mod or just use Heimdall or Odin to flash a Kernel (one of at least the kj3 base that u r on) that has Root baked in. Or just use SuperOneClick.

Sent by XDA Premium App