[Q] Need to learn java

Search This thread

mohsin125

Jan 11, 2010
Hiya,
I have noooooo knowledge about any computer language and want to learn Java as i heard that its the language required to develop android apps. I know it takes alot of time to develop apps but im ready to spend my time so kindly let me know how can u start learning java at home? and should i learn anything before learning that as i dont know a word about programming

Thanks

milkytron

Jul 17, 2010
Denver
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=65FYTS7W

That's a download for Java tutorials. To actually do them you'll need a compiler. I use jGrasp but there are many others you can use. Eclipse is pretty popular and they all do the same thing basically. A compiler can be downloaded on the internet, and you'll need to download Java from Sun Microsystems as well. Just to let you know you gotta be pretty dedicated, it takes a lot of time to make good apps. Google's App inventor is an alternative to learning code.

mohsin125

Jan 11, 2010
thanks for da help but da prob is dat i need to start from basics, like the full basics of programming even simple definitions, can u also guide me a book or ebook for that too so that i can learn the super basics like definitions first b4 learnin java
thanks

luciferii

Feb 26, 2011
I started with the book, hello android 3rd edition. Its a great book.

Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 (zoom2)/Tapatalk Pro

mohsin125

Jan 11, 2010
Did u start from zero from this book? I mean u had to learn the basic terms and definitions even??

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

UltraVicious

Mar 1, 2010
Dallas
Bro you should check out "Starting out with Java: From control structures to objects" by tony gadis. Just google it. Its the one I used in my intro to programming course. It starts out as basic as can be. Its really good :D

Sent from my SGH-T959

R

Rootstonian

I was in his shoes...about 15 years ago LOL :) Wow, where does the time go? 2 degrees and a couple careers later I guess.

What I would stress are a few things:
1. Learn how to do some flow charts before you write code
2. Learn the basics of program flow (if/else, do/while, switch/case statements)
3. Learn the "types" of your language (int, String, float, char, modulus etc.)
4. Learn some data structures (arrays, Lists, Vectors etc.)
5. Learn about functions and/or classes. Remember that a function should be fairly short and very specific to a task, like: getUserName, calculateCheckingBalance etc.
6. START SMALL AND WORK TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY!

I can't stress how important #6 is. Do a "Hello World" program just to get used to writing some code.

Think of some simple programs like: write numbers 1 to 10 to an array and print them out backwards, ask user to input what year they were born in and print them back their age. Advance up to something like a ATM simulator where you can make deposits, withdrawals, check your balance. I did all similar type things in Programming 101.

I still love the Dietel and Dietel books...get one for JAVA and it's money well spent in my opinion.

kame10

Feb 12, 2019
Hiya,
I have noooooo knowledge about any computer language and want to learn Java as i heard that its the language required to develop android apps. I know it takes alot of time to develop apps but im ready to spend my time so kindly let me know how can u start learning java at home? and should i learn anything before learning that as i dont know a word about programming

Thanks

Here are the top tips for anyone who wants to start learning Java:
Learn the Basics. As with anything, knowing the basics about Java is the best place to start. ...
Practice Coding. To use the old cliché, practice makes perfect. ...
Set Your Algorithm Carefully. ...
Trace Your Codes on Paper. ...
Read Sources on Java Programming Regularly.

Top Liked Posts