Standby Battery Life?

Search This thread

Jaydawgx7

Jun 23, 2011
I know there are threads regarding battery life out there, but most are all about usage and screen on time. My Note seems to be on par or at least close as far as screen on time. However, I'm just curious as to what all of you are experiencing as far as standby time. I've gone through the battery life guide and turned off most features I don't use, but the standby time still seems pretty lame. From a full charge, its been 3d 5h on battery with zero screen on time other than checking the battery stats right now, and it's down to 9%. Android OS consumed 57% and Google Play Services 33%.

I know I'm comparing Apple and Oranges here, but my 4th gen iPad I have for work hardly drains at all without use. After a week of standby, the iPad will only drop about 5-10%. I feel like this tablet should be capable of the same, and possibly will be after I root and find a good rom (also don't like to see any Apple product out-perform any android based product). Am I alone here?

Basic setup: Stock Rom (not rooted), Nova Launcher (prime), GPS off, Bluetooth off, reading mode off, multi-window off, screen mirroring off, s pen detection off, all samsung crap off (air view, etc), and others. Basically the only thing on is wifi.

You might have a tough time getting people to compare their standby time with yours... most people on this forum either use their tablet for work and if not are too in love with their baby to let it sit there untouched for days on end :) When I couldn't use mine for 12 hours, it dropped about 3% with WiFi and GPS on

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Mave025

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah it is too hard to not touch it for days on end to test this. Turning off wifi while in sleep mode will help a lot. Go to the Connections tab in settings and hit the hardware menu key, then choose Advanced, and change Keep wifi on during sleep to never. That has helped me a ton. Right now mine is at 2d 7h 40m uptime with 4h screen time and it's at 32%. Even with that setting on, my iPad mini still gets better battery life. I have left it sitting for 2 days before without touching it and found it sitting at 92% battery life with wifi always on. My guess is it's something to do with the OS and iOS is just more efficient. That's why even with weaker hardware it can still outperform android tablets.

Also I'm still running a lot of the things you have turned off. You might want to also try Greenify. It has a non root working mode now, but works best in root. You can also try Wakelock Detector to see what apps are waking your cpu, so you can see what to Greenify. If you root you can also try an app to freeze apps as well like Titanium Backup and Rom Toolbox.

Reactions: tspatil001

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
yeah, forgot about greenify. you have to be rooted though an need either the donation version to greenify play services(that's the battery killer) or use titanium to make it a user app to greenify with the free version. it's sad that google is the worst culprit with battery drain on all my devices.

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I get 1-2% battery drop every 24hrs of standby. WiFi must be off, it not hard to just pull notification bar down and touch the wifi section off whenever you think you wont use the tablet for a while - takes like 2 seconds.

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.

Jaydawgx7

Jun 23, 2011
I have yet to try my battery life with wifi off, so I think that'll be next. I really don't need it connected while the screen is off, so I'll change that setting first.

I figured it might be difficult to get a good response for this question because I too have a hard time putting the thing down. Was just traveling for work and had it in my bag those 3 and noticed the battery drop. I appreciate all the suggestions and welcome any future ones. In the mean time, I'll be experimenting as well and report back if I find anything causing the drop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah it is too hard to not touch it for days on end to test this. Turning off wifi while in sleep mode will help a lot. Go to the Connections tab in settings and hit the hardware menu key, then choose Advanced, and change Keep wifi on during sleep to never. That has helped me a ton. Right now mine is at 2d 7h 40m uptime with 4h screen time and it's at 32%. Even with that setting on, my iPad mini still gets better battery life. I have left it sitting for 2 days before without touching it and found it sitting at 92% battery life with wifi always on. My guess is it's something to do with the OS and iOS is just more efficient. That's why even with weaker hardware it can still outperform android tablets.

Also I'm still running a lot of the things you have turned off. You might want to also try Greenify. It has a non root working mode now, but works best in root. You can also try Wakelock Detector to see what apps are waking your cpu, so you can see what to Greenify. If you root you can also try an app to freeze apps as well like Titanium Backup and Rom Toolbox.