Found way to remove LOCA glue when replacing front glass.

Search This thread

fyca

Apr 13, 2010
Quincy
I haven't seen this posted already so I figured I would share. Anyways my brother just got a S4 for $120 but it came with cracked front glass. I told him I would fix the glass for him (my first time touching a S4 let alone replacing the front glass). Well I meant to take more pictures, but in the moment I just wanted to get the phone done. I followed a guide on iFixit and watched a couple videos on Youtube, alot of people are right when they say that the Youtube videos make it look simple. Anyways this was my first time working with LOCA glue (removing and replacing).

Here are some helpful tips:

#1 Make a jig that will hold your heat gun above your workspace, you will need to adjust the height depending on how well your heat gun works.
#2 Put some clear packaging tape on the front of the glass to avoid glass chipping and flying, also to keep glass from entering under the glass and scratching the digitizer..
#3 The glass is easiest removed with a temperature between 155f and 165f.
#4 Work top to bottom. Ear piece to button.
#5 When prying the glass off MAKE SURE you are between the glass and the digitizer, it is easy to lift the whole LCD assembly.
#6 Work slowly, if the glass if badly broken it will not pull up as easily as a less shattered glass. I found that the digitizer was not as fragile as I was made to believe.
#7 Have plastic razor blades or a plastic putty knife/scraper handy for the removal and cleanup of the LOCA glue.
#8 Have 2 lint free cloths handy for the cleanup and removal of the LOCA glue.
#9 When the glass is almost off remember to pry off the back and home button sensors from the bottom of the glass.
#10 When it is time to clean up the digitizer use your putty knife/scraper to get most of it up.
#11 I found that Eucalyptus oil works well at removing the rest of the LOCA glue. Just put some on a Q-tip and swab the area you want to clean.
Here is a pic of what the digitizer looked like after cleaning with Eucalyptus oil.

EDIT: Sorry pic wouldn't link, had to make it an attachment.

I'm not gonna lie, while putting the new glass on I could not get all the air out, I did not get pics of the finished screen, but it only has a couple small bubbles. Well worth the $10 for the new glass.

Attachments

• IMG_20140613_183229.jpg
    IMG_20140613_183229.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 12,642
Last edited:

mikeymopar

Jan 14, 2011
I haven't seen this posted already so I figured I would share.....
....I'm not gonna lie, while putting the new glass on I could not get all the air out, I did not get pics of the finished screen, but it only has a couple small bubbles. Well worth the $10 for the new glass.

nice write-up. shame that the image alone has over 500 views and nobody else has hit the "thank" button
well i thank you @fyca for the info and your time! :good:

1_Petje

Jun 18, 2010
Hey guys,
My first digitizer replacement ended up in a few big flower shaped flecks on the screen. That is not what I expected. I am very curious to know how these flecks appeared, or how I could avoid this will happen again. Also it looked to me like the original brightness could not be achieved.
2duawkm.jpg

This is the phone (Jiayu G2s) with the Calendar active which is almost an entire white display.

anybody who recognizes this?

oh, and by the way everything functions normal.

Last edited:

omgomgya

May 3, 2015
1_Petje
Looks like you overheated the actual screen. If you apply too much heat you will lose colors/brightness in those areas.

Mass_Defect

Dec 19, 2011
Heat not the only cause......

Hey guys,
My first digitizer replacement ended up in a few big flower shaped flecks on the screen. That is not what I expected. I am very curious to know how these flecks appeared, or how I could avoid this will happen again. Also it looked to me like the original brightness could not be achieved.
Link removed because someone failed to think;New posters have to quote the question in their posts, and may quote a link...Sheesh! //i58.tinypic.com/2duawkm.jpg
This is the phone (Jiayu G2s) with the Calendar active which is almost an entire white display.

anybody who recognizes this?

oh, and by the way everything functions normal.

The "flowers" that you see can be caused by too much heat. BUT, these appear to be the result of excessive pressure placed on the display. If you press hard enough on almost any lcd or led display you'll see these kinds of patterns. If you let off they go away, unless you've pressed to hard or too long. AMOLED are particularly sensitive when heated. Long and short, be careful how much pressure you use when removing the glass etc....

ATGkompressor

Jan 3, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A20
Google Pixel 7
I replaced an s3 screen twice. It was obviously easier the second time, as there was no LOCA to fight with. The main reason for diminished clarity and sharpness after replacement is the absence of the LOCA. Once u manage to get the glass off and do the necessary cleaning/preparation for reassembly, applying 3-4cc's of LOCA onto the digitizer in a vertically stretched "X" pattern will give u that genuine factory screen appearance. Well...After u cure it under UV light. But...for a novice, applying the LOCA and making it look good without permanently damaging the device is extremely tricky. And shouldn't b attempted if you're not somewhat of a professional, as the glue can seep down into your phone's internal hardware.

gameplayerdo2

Dec 17, 2012
I haven't seen this posted already so I figured I would share. Anyways my brother just got a S4 for $120 but it came with cracked front glass. I told him I would fix the glass for him (my first time touching a S4 let alone replacing the front glass). Well I meant to take more pictures, but in the moment I just wanted to get the phone done. I followed a guide on iFixit and watched a couple videos on Youtube, alot of people are right when they say that the Youtube videos make it look simple. Anyways this was my first time working with LOCA glue (removing and replacing).

#1 Make a jig that will hold your heat gun above your workspace, you will need to adjust the height depending on how well your heat gun works.
#2 Put some clear packaging tape on the front of the glass to avoid glass chipping and flying, also to keep glass from entering under the glass and scratching the digitizer..
#5 When prying the glass off MAKE SURE you are between the glass and the digitizer, it is easy to lift the whole LCD assembly.
#6 Work slowly, if the glass if badly broken it will not pull up as easily as a less shattered glass. I found that the digitizer was not as fragile as I was made to believe.
#7 Have plastic razor blades or a plastic putty knife/scraper handy for the removal and cleanup of the LOCA glue.
#9 When the glass is almost off remember to pry off the back and home button sensors from the bottom of the glass.
#10 When it is time to clean up the digitizer use your putty knife/scraper to get most of it up.
#11 I found that Eucalyptus oil works well at removing the rest of the LOCA glue. Just put some on a Q-tip and swab the area you want to clean.
Here is a pic of what the digitizer looked like after cleaning with Eucalyptus oil.

I'm not gonna lie, while putting the new glass on I could not get all the air out, I did not get pics of the finished screen, but it only has a couple small bubbles. Well worth the $10 for the new glass.
hi. thanks for the tip... i have 1 question at the moment, and it might sound silly... but what kind of eucalyptus oil did you use and where from? i did a search on it and there were all sorts of brands and use, and seems forms of it...
i like lighter fluid personally but its to runny but is perfect it you can keep it from behind the lcd and messing up the sheets on the likes of a LG G3.

gonehaywire

Apr 30, 2014
Go to lcdbondingusa dot com. They have this cleaner for cleaning LOCA. Man let me tell you, it's well worth the cost. I use a diabetic syringe to get it between the LCD and Digi. Sure does make easy work of it. It's great for other stuff, too.

" Lcd Adhesive Remover Cleaner For UV Glue OCA Glue iPhone & samsung Safe To Use" is the way it was layed out on the eBay page

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.