Firewater S-off wont work?

Search This thread
Mar 16, 2014
I got my One M8 yesterday from an upgrade and rooted it, after I had rooted it I tried to S-Off with the Firewater exploit. However when I tried I get this error.

********** whelp, this sucks, firewater can not work on your device **********
********** no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix... **********
********** DO NOT COME TO IRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!!!!! **********
********** if we are able to fix this issue, it will be announced **********
********** bye bye.....sorry it didn't work out. **********

Is there any other option to try or do I have to wait for a new exploit?

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
I got my One M8 yesterday from an upgrade and rooted it, after I had rooted it I tried to S-Off with the Firewater exploit. However when I tried I get this error.

********** whelp, this sucks, firewater can not work on your device **********
********** no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix... **********
********** DO NOT COME TO IRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!!!!! **********
********** if we are able to fix this issue, it will be announced **********
********** bye bye.....sorry it didn't work out. **********

Is there any other option to try or do I have to wait for a new exploit?

The only other alternative for S-OFF is Sunshine.

[Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices

It's created by the same developers as Firewater but it seems to do the job. The catch however is, it's $25 through an in app payment method. Of course the program itself first checks your device for compatibility BEFORE you pay for anything, that way you won't end up paying for something that "might" not work. Might want to give it a shot and see, so far the people tend to view it as $25 well spent.

Mar 16, 2014
The only other alternative for S-OFF is Sunshine.

[Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices

It's created by the same developers as Firewater but it seems to do the job. The catch however is, it's $25 through an in app payment method. Of course the program itself first checks your device for compatibility BEFORE you pay for anything, that way you won't end up paying for something that "might" not work. Might want to give it a shot and see, so far the people tend to view it as $25 well spent.

That is unfortunate. I would really like to support these guys but money is tight, ya know. Guess I have to wait.:(

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
That is unfortunate. I would really like to support these guys but money is tight, ya know. Guess I have to wait.:(

Well, at least you don't need S-OFF to flash ROMs so you could probably still flash Viper or ARHD or another and have some fun with custom ROMs if you want or just wait out until you're ready to go. At least the phone is still pretty fun in it's stock state should hold for a while :good:

Reactions: Rye Cribby Tree
May 11, 2012
Firewater S-Off doesn't seems to work for Me too...

I am getting error as screenshot attached ... tried many a times but not getting success of getting through, please help!

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Sunshine works with all m8's. Waiting because you are tight on money could make you miss your chance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ILowry282

Oct 8, 2013
I am getting error as screenshot attached ... tried many a times but not getting success of getting through, please help!

I got this same message. After meticulous research, I found that there is absolutely nothing that could be done. I decided to fork over the $25 for Sunshine and it worked like a charm. There are no codes or cables or anything. It's an app on the phone and it takes about 5 min. Well worth the money as I was able to convert my M8 to a Google Play Edition.

May 11, 2012
I got this same message. After meticulous research, I found that there is absolutely nothing that could be done. I decided to fork over the $25 for Sunshine and it worked like a charm. There are no codes or cables or anything. It's an app on the phone and it takes about 5 min. Well worth the money as I was able to convert my M8 to a Google Play Edition.

Ok. Might give a try someday ... But first would research more further on other ways out coz shelling $25 for an app would be too much for now . Anyways thanks for the suggestion, sooner or later it will of help. :good:

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Ok. Might give a try someday ... But first would research more further on other ways out coz shelling $25 for an app would be too much for now . Anyways thanks for the suggestion, sooner or later it will of help. :good:
You're not paying $25 for an app, you are paying a relatively small amount to the developers for the huge amount of work involved in achieving this. Development takes lots of painstaking hours, weeks, months to achieve something workable like this.
I know I have developed for Samsung devices and trust me $25 is perfectly acceptable if you want the developers to maintain an interest.
Tbh the choice is yours, either nobody bothers and there is no development and no S-OFF at all , so nothing for you to pay anyway or encourage the developers and say thanks by remunerating the developers for all their hard work.
Either way the choice is there, S-OFF for a small price or no S-OFF at all. ;)

diceman725

Jun 3, 2006
You're not paying $25 for an app, you are paying a relatively small amount to the developers for the huge amount of work involved in achieving this. Development takes lots of painstaking hours, weeks, months to achieve something workable like this.
I know I have developed for Samsung devices and trust me $25 is perfectly acceptable if you want the developers to maintain an interest.
Tbh the choice is yours, either nobody bothers and there is no development and no S-OFF at all , so nothing for you to pay anyway or encourage the developers and say thanks by remunerating the developers for all their hard work.

Just curious... What is it about firewater no longer working? I read something about the most recent OTA killing it. Is it firmware/ROM related?

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Just curious... What is it about firewater no longer working? I read something about the most recent OTA killing it. Is it firmware/ROM related?

It was an error on the part of the developers, they named it "Firewater" fire and water just don't mix/work which is why Firewater didn't work either.

Sunshine on the other hand is always a good thing, it's healthy and as such it works well and is in a healthy state too. The name is everything... :D

May 11, 2012

Hey Brother ... sorry if I made you feel Offended, had no such intentions and I respect developers and their work and their life equally as much you do. Without them obvious Android would had been so boring. Dont want to stretch it further so just writing to say a SORRY :highfive: if you felt bad & I've already downloaded the app and purchased the license yesterday night, would be using it as soon as I get my handset back from the service center. Facing certain USB port issues since morning.

:good: PEACE :good:;):eek:;)

May 11, 2012
Hey Brother ... sorry if I made you feel Offended, had no such intentions and I respect developers and their work and their life equally as much you do. Without them obvious Android would had been so boring. Dont want to stretch it further so just writing to say a SORRY :highfive: if you felt bad & I've already downloaded the app and purchased the license yesterday night, would be using it as soon as I get my handset back from the service center. Facing certain USB port issues since morning.

:good: PEACE :good:;):eek:;)

Finally the s is off (gained S-Off) on my HTC M8 thanks to Sunshine app. :victory:

All I can say is money was worth spent, tried week long through all the means but could not get through it & finally read abt sunshine while looking for alternative and tried it & without any wires & commands prompts & hassle got s-off on my device. SO now the brilliance on my M8 is totally unleashed & will be now flashing custom ROM soon. Last but not least would like to give the credit to ashyx for diverting my mind towards going on with sunshine & BIG thanks to the team who developed this wonderful & extremely helpful app. :good:

Definitely would recommend to those for whom firewater doesnot work & wants to get S-Off & dont mind spending. !!! Go Ahead !!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well, at least you don't need S-OFF to flash ROMs so you could probably still flash Viper or ARHD or another and have some fun with custom ROMs if you want or just wait out until you're ready to go. At least the phone is still pretty fun in it's stock state should hold for a while :good: