[VIDEO Overviews and How To's] Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH - T999)

Search This thread

archeuscaine

May 17, 2012
my brother broght me a galaxy s3 but i cant be sure if its t mobile or not it shows t mobile flash at the start but there are no info about tmobile in anywere of the phone how can be sure because i want to root it

AllAboutAndroids

Sep 21, 2011
Vaughan, Canada
www.allaboutandroids.com
my brother broght me a galaxy s3 but i cant be sure if its t mobile or not it shows t mobile flash at the start but there are no info about tmobile in anywere of the phone how can be sure because i want to root it

Hey man, it's quite simple actually. Remove the battery cover as well as the battery pack and they'll be a sticker on the phone indicating the model number. The T-Mobile model is the SGH-T999 :)

~ Imraan

Last edited:

sky14

Sep 26, 2012
thannks for this thread guys

im new to this and was wondering how are you guys keeping ytour data/contacts/apps when you change roms?

thanks
mikey

AllAboutAndroids

Sep 21, 2011
Vaughan, Canada
www.allaboutandroids.com
thannks for this thread guys

im new to this and was wondering how are you guys keeping ytour data/contacts/apps when you change roms?

thanks
mikey

Hey! Just make sure that you have enabled Google's Backup. It will restore all your contacts after a ROM flash. Now, if you always want to keep your data, there are tons of apps that do so. I recommend Titanium Backup for some specific system Settings and preferences to be backed up as well as the caller log etc and I recommend SMS Backup&Restore which can save all of your messages :)

~Imraan

AquaWater

Jul 1, 2012
Only getting 3G service

i have a T-Mobile phone which is unlocked and i got it fully working with AT&T. Right now I am using a the Stock ROM. What I can't figure out is why I am only getting 3G service when people in my house who have T-Mobile are getting 4G and people in my house with the new iPhones who are also on AT&T are getting LTE service. Does it have to do with the APN settings or is it because I'm using a T-Mobile phone instead of a At&T phone.

Thanks so much in advance,
~Aqua

P.S. I love your videos! :D

edited: Sorry I forgot to say that I am in the United States.

Last edited:

AllAboutAndroids

Sep 21, 2011
Vaughan, Canada
www.allaboutandroids.com
i have a T-Mobile phone which is unlocked and i got it fully working with AT&T. Right now I am using a the Stock ROM. What I can't figure out is why I am only getting 3G service when people in my house who have T-Mobile are getting 4G and people in my house with the new iPhones who are also on AT&T are getting LTE service. Does it have to do with the APN settings or is it because I'm using a T-Mobile phone instead of a At&T phone.

Thanks so much in advance,
~Aqua

P.S. I love your videos! :D

edited: Sorry I forgot to say that I am in the United States.

Hey Aqua, sorry to say this...but you actually only have the HSPA+ Galaxy SIII. Since T-Mobile does not support LTE yet, their S3 version is not an LTE capable device. TO fully utilize your new AT&T line, I recommend you selling your S3 and getting one on a Contract over there for a cheaper price or add some more to purchase the LTE version of the phone.

~Imraan

yayitsthatkid

Sep 25, 2012
Great Reviews!

I actually watched the Wicked Rom Review before flashing it on my phone. It was my first time rooting a phone so I wanted as much info as I could get and your vids did just that :laugh::good:

AquaWater

Jul 1, 2012
Hey Aqua, sorry to say this...but you actually only have the HSPA+ Galaxy SIII. Since T-Mobile does not support LTE yet, their S3 version is not an LTE capable device. TO fully utilize your new AT&T line, I recommend you selling your S3 and getting one on a Contract over there for a cheaper price or add some more to purchase the LTE version of the phone.

~Imraan

Thank you for the reply, but what I don't understand is that this phone came from the T-Mobile store. And I do have a contract with them. But it wasn't bought under my account name. The phone was bought from a friend who worked at a T-mobile stand. So why I don't get 4G or LTE service I'm still puzzled. I am so sorry for being an idiot on this, but I'm really dont understand why?

AllAboutAndroids

Sep 21, 2011
Vaughan, Canada
www.allaboutandroids.com
Thank you for the reply, but what I don't understand is that this phone came from the T-Mobile store. And I do have a contract with them. But it wasn't bought under my account name. The phone was bought from a friend who worked at a T-mobile stand. So why I don't get 4G or LTE service I'm still puzzled. I am so sorry for being an idiot on this, but I'm really dont understand why?

Every T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SIII model is the SGH-T999 and that phone itself does not support LTE connectivity :(

AquaWater

Jul 1, 2012
Every T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SIII model is the SGH-T999 and that phone itself does not support LTE connectivity :(

But it does support 4G service, i know this because my sister actually has a TMobile Account and she is getting 4G service on hers. But for me I can only pick up 3G service. So that is question 1.

And for question two, is basically your saying I would need to get a AT&T model version of the phone in order to receive the LTE or 4G service that is provided in my area?

Thanks so much for helping me out here.
~Aqua

kekuta

Aug 6, 2012
No LTE on SGH T999

But it does support 4G service, i know this because my sister actually has a TMobile Account and she is getting 4G service on hers. But for me I can only pick up 3G service. So that is question 1.

And for question two, is basically your saying I would need to get a AT&T model version of the phone in order to receive the LTE or 4G service that is provided in my area?

Thanks so much for helping me out here.
~Aqua

I have the tmobile version of the S3 running on At&t. The SGH T999 does not have an LTE firmware. The most you will get is HSPA+. You will definitely need to get the AT&T version to take advantage of their LTE network.

AquaWater

Jul 1, 2012
I have the tmobile version of the S3 running on At&t. The SGH T999 does not have an LTE firmware. The most you will get is HSPA+. You will definitely need to get the AT&T version to take advantage of their LTE network.

OK thank you everyone who has helped me understand this. I really have no idea why it wasn't registering in my head. I 100% get it now. I also called AT&T and i did a 3G speed test and I'm getting like 700Kbps and 50Kbps up. which is horrible. I don't even think I'm getting HSPA+. I'm like a step below.

So i was talking to him and he suggested that I could get a refurbished version of the phone for $100 and all i would need to do is extend my contract a little by 6 months. Now Since my phone is factory unlocked I could sell my phone and easily get the $100 for the phone plus it comes with a 90 day warranty. And for $5.99/month I could get the insurance package which if something happens they will replace it for $199.00. Which isn't a bad idea. But he said a lot of times people buy the phones and decides they just simply don't like it or would rather have a different one and since it has been used, they have to advertise it as " refurbished."

So what my question is, is has anyone ever bought a refurbished phone and had success with it? Or has anyone had any horror stories with the getting a refurbished one?

Thanks in advance everyone.
~Aqua

bike__52

Feb 24, 2010
Gunnison
If you are still trying to sell your SGH-I999 I would be very interested. I am in the opposite situation as you I have a Gaqlaxy S II and went to t-Mobile and now I don't have 3g/4g so I have to find a T-mobile Phone. Please message me if possible

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey XDA Folks, we have a YouTube channel where we normally film ROM overviews of the devices we own. This Thread will have all of our videos regarding the Samsung Galaxy SIII, SGH - T999.

Please do take a look at our current videos and more will be coming in the near future :cool:

Unboxing and Overview:

Custom ROM Overviews:

CyanogenMod 10:

Alpha Build 4:

AOKP Jelly Bean

Nightly Sep 1st

Wicked ROM:

Version 2:

If this helped in any way, please feel free to press the THANKS button and if you do happen to have a few clicks to spare, please go to our channel to LIKE, COMMENT and SUBSCRIBE as we'd really appreciate it, Thanks in advance :D
    Our latest Video!

Wicked ROM:
    Version 2:

If this helped in any way, please feel free to press the THANKS button and if you do happen to have a few clicks to spare, please go to our channel to LIKE, COMMENT and SUBSCRIBE as we'd really appreciate it, Thanks in advance :D
    The latest video :D

AOKP Nightly Sep 1st

So glad to have you guys here man! :) To anyone who prefers to watch Rom reviews before installing them, I personally HIGHLY recommend their channel! In my opinion 80% of Rom reviews don't accomplish what they are intended to, which is to allow the user to experience the Rom, learn of any bugs, and highlight unique features. Imraan & Abdul are tedious when it comes to digging through a Rom & reporting everything you need to know in order to decide if it's for you. I followed them on the HTC Sensation & LG G2X, and I'm so glad they're gonna be contributing to our T999! We desperately need some good coverage on Roms for this phone like Sprint has from qbking77, and I know All About Androids will fill the void. Seriously guys, check out their channel, it's a MUST subscribe, especially if you have the Nexus 7 or Asus TF300 also! You guys Rock Bro!

Edit: One more thing I forgot to mention is that these guys have also personally responded to any comment or question that I've ever posted on their channel. That goes to show how much they appreciate their viewer's & subscribers. Believe me when I tell you that I've got nothing to gain by telling you guys how awesome it is that they're covering the T999, but I've been a big fan of their channel for quite a long time, and their videos have been so helpful to me, so I gotta represent for my YouTube Homie's, lol!
    So glad to have you guys here man! :) To anyone who prefers to watch Rom reviews before installing them, I personally HIGHLY recommend their channel! In my opinion 80% of Rom reviews don't accomplish what they are intended to, which is to allow the user to experience the Rom, learn of any bugs, and highlight unique features. Imraan & Abdul are tedious when it comes to digging through a Rom & reporting everything you need to know in order to decide if it's for you. I followed them on the HTC Sensation & LG G2X, and I'm so glad they're gonna be contributing to our T999! We desperately need some good coverage on Roms for this phone like Sprint has from qbking77, and I know All About Androids will fill the void. Seriously guys, check out their channel, it's a MUST subscribe, especiallyif you have the Nexus 7 or Asus TF300 also! You guys Rock Bro!

As always, you have my greatest gratitude. Thank you!