[GUIDE] Unlock Froyo 2.2 I9000 Galaxy S manually

Search This thread

Happy Hunter

Oct 29, 2010
Montreal
Just updated post with more details, I hope someone will find it more useful. As always make sure you have a backup, make a backup of your nv_data.bin BEFORE editing.

I was not able to unlock my phone Froyo 2.2 I9000M phone running I9000UGJK4 firmware by using this official thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=761045
and after few hours of searching I found this method which worked for me from first attempt.

I give all the credits for this idea to cursor2010 from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8656481&postcount=156

Here are the detailed steps

* Your phone must be rooted (I used SuperOneClick http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682) to do this unlocking and busybox from market is installed
* Get the archive file from first post of this topic. The archive contains ADB software which we will use to connect to the phone.
* Turn On USB debugging Application->Settings->Application->Development
* Follow the instructions of STEP 4 from http://www.communityhosting.net/sgsunlock/i9000.html to get your nv_data.bin to your PC

Get your current nv_data.bin file from the /efs directory on your phone. This can be done with ADB. Most often, the nv_data.bin file is not readable and you will get a permission denied message. You'll need to enter the commands manually.
To do this with ADB, from the DOS command prompt you can type:

adb pull /efs/nv_data.bin

If you receive a permission denied error, you can fix it by typing the following commands from an ADB shell (type "adb shell" at the DOS command prompt) or from within a terminal on the phone:

adb shell
su
chmod 777 /efs/nv_data.bin
exit
exit

Then from the DOS command prompt:

Using Hex editor edit the file ( you can use any hex editor, http://www.logitheque.com/logiciels/windows/utilitaires/editeur_hexadecimal/telecharger/edithexa_9903.htm for example). I personally use UltraEdit.

View attachment 464171

At the offset of 180069H you will see your provider MCC and MNC codes see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code

In my case the code was 30261020404... which is Bell Canada, so I changed 610 to 720 Rogers Canada now the code is 30272020404...

Again the offset in the file is 180069H.

Save the file on the pc.

* Follow the instructions from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8182729&postcount=107

Copy your nv_data.bin to temporary folder on your phone:

adb shell "mkdir /sdcard/efs"
adb push nv_data.bin /sdcard/efs
adb shell
su
ls -l -a /efs

If there is an nv_data.bin.md5 file in the directory, all is well. You should continue with these commands:

mv /efs/.nv_data.bak /efs/.nv_data.bakk
mv /efs/.nv_data.bak.md5 /efs/.nv_data.bakk.md5
rm /efs/nv_data.bin
rm /efs/nv_data.bin.md5
rm /efs/.nv2.bak
rm /efs/.nv2.bak.md5
busybox cp /sdcard/efs/nv_data.bin /efs/nv_data.bin
chmod 755 /efs/nv_data.bin
chown radio.radio /efs/nv_data.bin
exit
exit

if you have errors on the chown command, use
chown 1001.1001 /efs/nv_data.bin

If there was no nv_data.bin.md5 file, then something is wrong and you'll need to see other options or reflash again with a known working ROM that generates a new MD5 file when it's missing.

* Reboot the phone, it should not ask any unlock codes or anything, in my case it simply just registered on Rogers network

* Obviously you also need to program your APN settings for Rogers from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=809003 to make your 3G working. For your own provider please search forum.

I wish it would be much simpler or automated or tested on bigger variety of phones.If somebody could gather the statistics and check if this method is applicable throughout all the versions of I9000, that would be very nice.

Feel free to comment my post.

Attachments

• UEdit.jpg
    UEdit.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,612

dawen

Nov 13, 2008
I had problems unlocking too. But the little trick that Happy Hunter posted worked. The phone is now locked to fido instead of bell.
I guess my phone is one of the newer builds. That's why the original unlocking method doesn't work.

I bought it a few days ago from Bell.
Model number: GT-I9000M
Firmware Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: I9000UGJK4
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9 shout.lee@SEP-09 #1
Build number: Froyo.UGJK4

in hex editor on phone jump to address look for 00181460 looked in the colums on the right of 00181460 and saw
ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 01 00 00 00 so i changed 01 to 00
that will make your phone sim free, u dont have to edit to lock just one network, i already try this tricked while leaving 610 as bell in the nv_data file, after i changed to 00 my rogers sim now work, so i assume it will work with other sims also

bizkopt

Dec 16, 2010
in my case this method did not work,
I try something different:
I changed too nv_data.bak and delete nv_data.bin.md5 and nv_data.bak.md5 and now my phone is unlocked

Last edited by a moderator:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
This is such a great written guide, i'd have been a shame to have it get lost inside that unlock topic :)

so I made it a topic of its own for all the new people trying to unlock Froyo

NOTE: in some HEX editor the offset reads as 181460

Last edited:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
I changed too nv_data.bak and delete nv_data.bin.md5 and nv_data.bak.md5 and now my phone is unlocked

LOL !!!!
icon11.gif

i can't believe it, this is the most ridiculous "lock' ever

i tried it and it truely works

just delete the files and it automatically becomes SIM free, it wont even ask you for the PIN

tried with 3 different SIM cards, all of them can call out and access to 3G

icon14.gif

Reactions: mmetais

sjavvaji

Jul 4, 2010

there is no friggin way it is that simple...isnt ur imei or some other pertinent info store in the files?

gsmmm

Jun 25, 2010
I can confirm this works, been using it for a month to switch vibrants over to Fido and Rogers.

tony604

Feb 11, 2009
Vancouver
in hex editor on phone jump to address look for 00181460 looked in the colums on the right of 00181460 and saw
that will make your phone sim free, u dont have to edit to lock just one network, i already try this tricked while leaving 610 as bell in the nv_data file, after i changed to 00 my rogers sim now work, so i assume it will work with other sims also

This worked great for me. Thanks!

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
so does that mean hex editing is unecessary.. since that would seem to inidicate that it would then be locked to whatever provider you change the code too.. So dont bother editing the file,,, just delete the files, as a side does still know when you are roming or not when you do it with this method.. i kinda doubt it?

mklo

Jan 19, 2011
Sorry for the newbie question. THis is the first time I root android phones.

1. My phone was originally 2.1 and I upgraded it to 2.2
2. I ran superoneclick and I can see "superuser" on my app list (I asume it is rooted)
3. unable to get nv_data.bin so I ran "ADB shell" at the dos prompt
4. when I hit "chmod 777 /efs/nv_data.bin" I got "unable to chmod...operation not permitted".

Please let me know what I can do to unlock. THanks.

mklo

Jan 19, 2011
I managed to use andexplorer to look at the efs directory but it it was empty??

waitwaitwait

Aug 27, 2010
Awesome, just tried this on my 3rd Galaxy S Vibrant which came with JL2. Works brilliantly. Nothing else worked.

Does anyone know if this will survive a flash with a custom ROM?

Thanks

Schmich

Jun 29, 2010
I managed to use andexplorer to look at the efs directory but it it was empty??
If you've installed Darky's Rom 8.1 you've most likely lost Root as I had. So do the following:
boot into recovery, go to Advanced Speedmod ULK features > Root/Install Superuser, and select the first option i.e 'Simple: install busybox+su'. If this doesn't work, turn on the phone, open Superuser, forget all the apps, then again boot into recovery and follow the above steps.

old post (not relevant anymore):
Same here. Root explorer only shows this:
/efs
5.01MB used, 935K free, r/w
Parent Folder.​
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Schmich

Jun 29, 2010
I don't want to pollute this thread but can someone be a bit more specific on what to do on the "simple" unlock shown below
I.e. "changed too nv_data.bak" means he renamed nv_data.bin to nv_data.bak
OR did he delete nv_data.bin and renamed .nv_data.bak to ny_data.bin?

I don't have nv_data.bak.md5 but I do have .nv_data.bak.md5 should I delete this other file?
(I don't mind the hex editing way but if there is a simpler way I'll try it first)

arvinghost

Sep 5, 2007
Ann Arbor
hey guys i am just wondering would this instruction help getting verizon samsung fascinate to be on sprint network and data working?

i have my fascinate on sprint already but i just never can get the 3G icon to come up

mmetais

Nov 17, 2007
hello, excuse me I am completly new with SGS
where can I find these 2 files ? (internal card ??)
thanks for your reply

CaracalSef

Oct 7, 2010
Bucharest
www.rullz.us
I used root explorer to get nv_data.bin on PC. Then got eXchange.rar, putted nv_data.bin from the phone in the same folder with Reparation_nv_data.jar nv_data.binvierge from eXchange.rar, ran Reparation_nv_data.jar, putted some 8 digit random numbers in filed one and two (different ones), copied nv_data.binvierge back to phone, renamed it to nv_data.bin, deleted EVERYTHING from /efs folder BESIDE nv_data.bin and .imei. Then got the battery off from the phone (not turning it off from power button), left like that for 5 seconds, back in, power on...TADA! Phone unlocked :D
It has to be rooted.
This is a method from razvang :) in romanian.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had problems unlocking too. But the little trick that Happy Hunter posted worked. The phone is now locked to fido instead of bell.
    I guess my phone is one of the newer builds. That's why the original unlocking method doesn't work.

I bought it a few days ago from Bell.
    Model number: GT-I9000M
    Firmware Version: 2.2
    Baseband Version: I9000UGJK4
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9 shout.lee@SEP-09 #1
    Build number: Froyo.UGJK4

Just updated post with more details, I hope someone will find it more useful. As always make sure you have a backup, make a backup of your nv_data.bin BEFORE editing.

I was not able to unlock my phone Froyo 2.2 I9000M phone running I9000UGJK4 firmware by using this official thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=761045
    and after few hours of searching I found this method which worked for me from first attempt.

I give all the credits for this idea to cursor2010 from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8656481&postcount=156

Here are the detailed steps

* Your phone must be rooted (I used SuperOneClick http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682) to do this unlocking and busybox from market is installed
    * Get the archive file from first post of this topic. The archive contains ADB software which we will use to connect to the phone.
    * Turn On USB debugging Application->Settings->Application->Development
    * Follow the instructions of STEP 4 from http://www.communityhosting.net/sgsunlock/i9000.html to get your nv_data.bin to your PC

Get your current nv_data.bin file from the /efs directory on your phone. This can be done with ADB. Most often, the nv_data.bin file is not readable and you will get a permission denied message. You'll need to enter the commands manually.
    To do this with ADB, from the DOS command prompt you can type:

If you receive a permission denied error, you can fix it by typing the following commands from an ADB shell (type "adb shell" at the DOS command prompt) or from within a terminal on the phone:

adb shell
    su
    chmod 777 /efs/nv_data.bin
    exit
    exit

Then from the DOS command prompt:

Using Hex editor edit the file ( you can use any hex editor, http://www.logitheque.com/logiciels/windows/utilitaires/editeur_hexadecimal/telecharger/edithexa_9903.htm for example). I personally use UltraEdit.

View attachment 464171

At the offset of 180069H you will see your provider MCC and MNC codes see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code

In my case the code was 30261020404... which is Bell Canada, so I changed 610 to 720 Rogers Canada now the code is 30272020404...

Again the offset in the file is 180069H.

Save the file on the pc.

* Follow the instructions from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8182729&postcount=107

Copy your nv_data.bin to temporary folder on your phone:

adb shell "mkdir /sdcard/efs"
    adb push nv_data.bin /sdcard/efs
    adb shell
    su
    ls -l -a /efs

If there is an nv_data.bin.md5 file in the directory, all is well. You should continue with these commands:

mv /efs/.nv_data.bak /efs/.nv_data.bakk
    mv /efs/.nv_data.bak.md5 /efs/.nv_data.bakk.md5
    rm /efs/nv_data.bin
    rm /efs/nv_data.bin.md5
    rm /efs/.nv2.bak
    rm /efs/.nv2.bak.md5
    busybox cp /sdcard/efs/nv_data.bin /efs/nv_data.bin
    chmod 755 /efs/nv_data.bin
    chown radio.radio /efs/nv_data.bin
    exit
    exit

if you have errors on the chown command, use
    chown 1001.1001 /efs/nv_data.bin

If there was no nv_data.bin.md5 file, then something is wrong and you'll need to see other options or reflash again with a known working ROM that generates a new MD5 file when it's missing.

* Reboot the phone, it should not ask any unlock codes or anything, in my case it simply just registered on Rogers network

* Obviously you also need to program your APN settings for Rogers from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=809003 to make your 3G working. For your own provider please search forum.

I wish it would be much simpler or automated or tested on bigger variety of phones.If somebody could gather the statistics and check if this method is applicable throughout all the versions of I9000, that would be very nice.

Feel free to comment my post.

LOL !!!!
    icon11.gif

i can't believe it, this is the most ridiculous "lock' ever

i tried it and it truely works

just delete the files and it automatically becomes SIM free, it wont even ask you for the PIN

tried with 3 different SIM cards, all of them can call out and access to 3G

icon14.gif
    make sure you are able to see hidden files