[Q] What else should I buy?

Search This thread

georgetoon

Jan 9, 2012
My Prime is being repaired.It's been in for repair almost a month. (It'll be one month on the 28th) I dunno how much longer it's going to be. I understand that these things sometimes take time. Hurry work is worry work, as they say.

I'm thinking that perhaps I should just buy another tablet while I wait. Any recommendations? What would be a nice compliment to the Prime?

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
Right now A510 Iconia from Acer, 300 from Asus or that other tablet that everyone knows about I would say

Xoom is on 4.0.4 now could find one of those or Kindle Fire cheap on craigslist if you are into hackery

BethyM

Oct 21, 2009
If you like to tinker, consider a Nook Color. They are easily rooted and there are many fun roms for it turning it into a full android tablet - both HC and ICS. It's a great secondary tab but doesn't really repeat the place of the Prime (in spec or price). When I ordered the Prime I passed mine onto my 8 yr old. They've come down in price quite a bit -- most of ours have been refurbished and work great.

Here you go: B&N For $135

Last edited:

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
Don't bother with an Acer. They are heavy, thick, development and company support are slow. I owned an A500, bought it on release day last year. It STILL doesn't have ICS.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA Premium App

Aug 29, 2010
I'll probably get flamed for this but I think a good compliment to the Prime would be an iPad2. I don't think I'd pony up for the newer one, but you might find a good deal on a barely used iPad2.

georgetoon

Jan 9, 2012
I'll probably get flamed for this but I think a good compliment to the Prime would be an iPad2. I don't think I'd pony up for the newer one, but you might find a good deal on a barely used iPad2.

I want to stick with Android. However the only strength the iPad has over an Android device is being able to take it to an Apple store and have it swapped out if they determine it cannot be repaired. I've heard this from Apple users.

Wish I had that option with the Prime. I'd consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus but it has not HDMI output.

I miss not having my Prime. Driving me crazy!

Nook color for $135.00? sounds like it would be worth buying and rooting knowing 'l have my Prime back.

Last edited:

BethyM

Oct 21, 2009
I want to stick with Android. However the only strength the iPad has over an Android device is being able to take it to an Apple store and have it swapped out if they determine it cannot be repaired. I've heard this from Apple users.

Wish I had that option with the Prime. I'd consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus but it has not HDMI output.

I miss not having my Prime. Driving me crazy!

Nook color for $135.00? sounds like it would be worth buying and rooting knowing 'l have my Prime back.

I think you'll like the nook... I used it last night to update stuff for my kid and still enjoyed using it even though I'd just set down my prime.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

texstar

Feb 13, 2012
Houston
My Prime is being repaired.It's been in for repair almost a month. (It'll be one month on the 28th) I dunno how much longer it's going to be. I understand that these things sometimes take time. Hurry work is worry work, as they say.

I'm thinking that perhaps I should just buy another tablet while I wait. Any recommendations? What would be a nice compliment to the Prime?

I wish they would hurry up and fix it. They gonna wait until you order something to hold you over then send it back. Tee hee

georgetoon

Jan 9, 2012
I wish they would hurry up and fix it. They gonna wait until you order something to hold you over then send it back. Tee hee

I checked today and I should have it next week sometime. I hope.:)

Still thinking about that Nook color and doing a root.:) I would not want to run as a B&N Nook. I'd want full Android for sure.:) Plus, I'm a Kindle user.:) So, I'd prefer the Kindle reading app.

BethyM

Oct 21, 2009

Still thinking about that Nook color and doing a root.:) I would not want to run as a B&N Nook. I'd want full Android for sure.:) Plus, I'm a Kindle user.:) So, I'd prefer the Kindle reading app.

Totally possible. The kindle app works, the nook app works... I prefer to import them all into calibre and then use Aldiko to read all my books. Nook Color has a lot of flexibility. The cool thing is that it boots from the sdcard by default so you really can't brick it... if you mess it up, you just make a good sd image and boot into it. We actually have 3 of them in the house (shhhh) :)

Another option, just saw this was released:

texstar

Feb 13, 2012
Houston

Something to play with without having to risk your Prime for sure.

georgetoon

Jan 9, 2012
Hmmm...great suggestions up here. If I do get the extra $$$$, Nook color and then rooting it would be fun! I've looked on youtube for directions. is there anything definitive up here on XDA on how to do this?

bopfan

Jan 15, 2012
Columbus, OH
CM7 on a color nook

Mark: Go for a refurbed unit. you can pick em up on a ebay or overstock.com. B&N unloads the refurbs in both places. Or look for a used one on CraigsList. Don't spend more than $130 to $150. And $150 sounds high to me.

Just my opinion but I think you are just throwing away $35 for that card. If you have a medium speed microsd card laying around the house you can do it yourself. In my experience, and I have done about 15 to 20 cards for friends, your best bet is a 16 or 32 GB medium speed card from a reputable company. Hard to go wrong with Sandisk. I have had horrible experiences with Class 10 cards. They just never worked; lots and lots of crashes and forced closures. Huge improvement by using Class 4 cards. Cheaper and they work so much better.

If you Google instructions for turning you Nook into an android tablet and you will come up with a ton of (easy) instructions. Great instructions here on XDA just do a search.

If by any chance you are a Mac user send me a private message. I will send you a link to my Box for the whole kit and kaboodle for free. You can download the instructions and the required files. You can make the card and turn the Nook into a great little 7" android tablet in about 20 minutes. With a bathroom break.

I gave my Nook to my daughter when I got a 7" Galaxy. In some ways I like the Nook better than the Galaxy.

Performance is ok. With the hack I have you can kick the processor speed up a bit. It's fine for simple stuff. I even enjoyed watching movies on it. I used Handbrake to convert ripped videos into a format that worked fine on the Nook. It's a 7" screen. So it's never gonna resemble your 55" 240HZ LED but its fine to watch on a plane. I think its pretty amazing for the cost. You can access apps from the Market (damn I mean Google Play). I used Pulse on mine and it worked fine. Not much of a gamer so I can't share anything.

The version of CM7 I have allows you to dual boot from the card. If the card is not in the Nook it will operate just like a stock B&N Nook. Put the card in and you will get boot screen on startup. Its fine for reading too.

Last edited:

georgetoon

Jan 9, 2012
Mark: Go for a refurbed unit. you can pick em up on a ebay or overstock.com. B&N unloads the refurbs in both places. Or look for a used one on CraigsList. Don't spend more than $130 to $150. And $150 sounds high to me.

Just my opinion but I think you are just throwing away $35 for that card. If you have a medium speed microsd card laying around the house you can do it yourself. In my experience, and I have done about 15 to 20 cards for friends, your best bet is a 16 or 32 GB medium speed card from a reputable company. Hard to go wrong with Sandisk. I have had horrible experiences with Class 10 cards. They just never worked; lots and lots of crashes and forced closures. Huge improvement by using Class 4 cards. Cheaper and they work so much better.

If you Google instructions for turning you Nook into an android tablet and you will come up with a ton of (easy) instructions. Great instructions here on XDA just do a search.

If by any chance you are a Mac user send me a private message. I will send you a link to my Box for the whole kit and kaboodle for free. You can download the instructions and the required files. You can make the card and turn the Nook into a great little 7" android tablet in about 20 minutes. With a bathroom break.

I gave my Nook to my daughter when I got a 7" Galaxy. In some ways I like the Nook better than the Galaxy.

Performance is ok. With the hack I have you can kick the processor speed up a bit. It's fine for simple stuff. I even enjoyed watching movies on it. I used Handbrake to convert ripped videos into a format that worked fine on the Nook. It's a 7" screen. So it's never gonna resemble your 55" 240HZ LED but its fine to watch on a plane. I think its pretty amazing for the cost. You can access apps from the Market (damn I mean Google Play). I used Pulse on mine and it worked fine. Not much of a gamer so I can't share anything.

The version of CM7 I have allows you to dual boot from the card. If the card is not in the Nook it will operate just like a stock B&N Nook. Put the card in and you will get boot screen on startup. Its fine for reading too.

Wow! Thank you so much for all this info.:)

Unfortunately, I'm not a Mac user. I'm a Linux guy.:) I've done my share of installs and disk wipes to get Linux on a system, so I'm familair with these processes.:) So, yeah, after you spelled it all out, $35.00 is a bit steep when I can do it myself.:)

bopfan

Jan 15, 2012
Columbus, OH
Wow! Thank you so much for all this info.:)

Unfortunately, I'm not a Mac user. I'm a Linux guy.:) I've done my share of installs and disk wipes to get Linux on a system, so I'm familair with these processes.:) So, yeah, after you spelled it all out, $35.00 is a bit steep when I can do it myself.:)

It's stupid simple. in the Mac I just used Terminal to enter the 'linux' instructions.

gotta be every bit as simple on a Linux box. And on-liine instructions will be super easy to find.

Again, I would recommend the original color nook - cheap, thin, light, almost pocketable - and different enuf from the Prime to make it a nice addition to your mobile needs.

georgetoon

Jan 9, 2012
It's stupid simple. in the Mac I just used Terminal to enter the 'linux' instructions.

gotta be every bit as simple on a Linux box. And on-liine instructions will be super easy to find.

Again, I would recommend the original color nook - cheap, thin, light, almost pocketable - and different enuf from the Prime to make it a nice addition to your mobile needs.

Okay.:) My Prime has been repaired and shipped. I should get it by Wednesday.:) As soon as it's back up and running, I just may do the Nook thing.:)

mmkaplan

Apr 9, 2012
Has anyone else sent in their Prime to Asus for repair that can comment on the turn-around time and the costs?