[APP][MOD] Black One-Handed mode background

Search This thread

Slappy_G

Apr 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
[Disclaimer: this is my first use of APKTOOL. So, this may be a bit buggy, and I'll state that up front. No bugs so far, but feedback is appreciated and will be used to tweak/fix it up.]

I noticed some other ROM had done this, but I couldn't find it. So I modified the EasyOneHand.apk to attempt to make it have a black background, to save power and save your eyes in a dark room. After all, black pixels use zero power on an OLED screen.

[As luck would have it, the chef of the X-NOTE rom responded and told me his ROM was the one that had it. Of course, I didn't see his response quickly enough and I had already gotten impatient and did it myself, so I thought I'd post it anyway. Credit to him for the inspiration for my learning...]

I have attached my mod as well as the original stock files (APK and ODEX) for replacement. I have added an Update.Zip for those who prefer to let the magic happen automatically. There is also a dark version - just be sure to rename it and overwrite the existing file to install it. The dark version intentionally has white edges so you can easily see where the screen border is.

Extract this to your /system/app folder, overwriting the existing one. Be sure to delete the corresponding ODEX file if it exists. Set the permissions to the same as the other files in the folder (chmod 644).

Let me know how it works for you!

Updates
======================================
* Added Update.zip
* Added dark version (2013-11-17)

Screenshots
Before/After show the look before and after my mod.
Settings01-03 show how to enable one-handed mode and the built-in tutorial for how to use it. See the FAQ post below for details.

Attachments

• EasyOneHand.apk
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,341
  • Orig_Files.7z
    59.4 KB · Views: 514
  • update.zip
    217.4 KB · Views: 924
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 3,271
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 3,239
  • settings1.png
    settings1.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 3,070
  • settings2.png
    settings2.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 2,744
  • settings3.png
    settings3.png
    236.7 KB · Views: 2,791
  • dark.jpg
    dark.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,158
  • EasyOneHand_Dark.apk
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,218
Last edited:

Slappy_G

Apr 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
FAQ

Frequently Access Questions
=========================

1. But it didn't work!!! Did you reboot? You've gotta reboot, if you copy the file manually. Also, if using Update.Zip, it's best to clear cache/dalvik-cache.
  2. Can I reuse or repackage this? Sure! Just give credit and send a link back to this thread.
  3. How do I enable One Handed Mode? Look at the settings screenshots for details. You have to go to Settings -> Device -> One Handed Operation. Turn on "Use for All Screens." Then click the link at the bottom for the tutorial.
  4. One handed mode is not working even after rebooting! Make sure you have all accesibility apps turned off.

Last edited:

shaungregg

Jan 6, 2011
What is the app? Like what does it do, I have no clue what easy one hand is.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

blu3angel

Mar 25, 2009
How about some screenshots and cwm flashable zip too?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

spumpco

Oct 19, 2010
Hi there! I tried to install this mod unsuccessfully by replacing the file as instructed, then tried to replace with the original files and didn't work either. tried to flash and nothing. So right now I lost the one handed operation. I´m kind of noob so I think I´m probably doing something wrong, or perhaps is a different version depending on the phone, I have a N900W8. If anyone could help me would be very appreciated.

EDIT:::
I found the solution by desactivating "any dash" app from accesibility. I think it has something to do with this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2465085&highlight=one+hand+operation

Last edited:

Slappy_G

Apr 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Hi there! I tried to install this mod unsuccessfully by replacing the file as instructed, then tried to replace with the original files and didn't work either. tried to flash and nothing. So right now I lost the one handed operation. I´m kind of noob so I think I´m probably doing something wrong, or perhaps is a different version depending on the phone, I have a N900W8. If anyone could help me would be very appreciated.

I found the solution by desactivating "any dash" app from accesibility. I think it has something to do with this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2465085&highlight=one+hand+operation

Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out! Accessibility apps can wreak havoc with the bugs Samsung has on their Roms.

Reactions: spumpco

SR4130

Jun 21, 2012
Thanx, works great. I started a thread with a link here on the tmobile note 3 forum to spread the word.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Slappy_G

rickylcp

Thanks Slappy! This works great! (although the update.zip failed to work via TWRP recovery. Have to manually replacing the apk)

Suggestions
1. Change the frame of the windows to deeper color as it's still white which wastes bit battery.
2. I don't know if this is feasible. Can the One Hand Mode stay after unlocking screen?
3. Can it also work for landscape mode?

Thanks again for your great great effort! :)

sevomemo

Mar 20, 2013
it seems like your apk is from a rom earlier than mj6 thats why it is not working with accessibility ON...so please please update it with a newer apk from mj6 or newer

Slappy_G

Apr 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Thanks Slappy! This works great! (although the update.zip failed to work via TWRP recovery. Have to manually replacing the apk)

Suggestions
1. Change the frame of the windows to deeper color as it's still white which wastes bit battery.
2. I don't know if this is feasible. Can the One Hand Mode stay after unlocking screen?
3. Can it also work for landscape mode?

I'm working on darkening it today. I have been working through quitting my job and finding another, so have been occupied as of late... I'm going to change it from #ffffff to #222222.

As to points 2 and 3, it is not something I have looked into, but I'll do some research. I believe that it is just the way it works (in other words, TouchWiz only calls the app when it is in portrait and it does not allow it to survive a lock/unlock.)

Slappy_G

Apr 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Suggestions

I have added a dark version, as per your request. I was actually thinking about this for some time myself. The X-Note ROM author made an all-black version, but I found it was hard to tell where the screen edges were, so I went with a dark gray and left the edges white so you can see them better.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Disclaimer: this is my first use of APKTOOL. So, this may be a bit buggy, and I'll state that up front. No bugs so far, but feedback is appreciated and will be used to tweak/fix it up.]

I noticed some other ROM had done this, but I couldn't find it. So I modified the EasyOneHand.apk to attempt to make it have a black background, to save power and save your eyes in a dark room. After all, black pixels use zero power on an OLED screen.

[As luck would have it, the chef of the X-NOTE rom responded and told me his ROM was the one that had it. Of course, I didn't see his response quickly enough and I had already gotten impatient and did it myself, so I thought I'd post it anyway. Credit to him for the inspiration for my learning...]

I have attached my mod as well as the original stock files (APK and ODEX) for replacement. I have added an Update.Zip for those who prefer to let the magic happen automatically. There is also a dark version - just be sure to rename it and overwrite the existing file to install it. The dark version intentionally has white edges so you can easily see where the screen border is.

Extract this to your /system/app folder, overwriting the existing one. Be sure to delete the corresponding ODEX file if it exists. Set the permissions to the same as the other files in the folder (chmod 644).

Let me know how it works for you!

Updates
    ======================================
    * Added Update.zip
    * Added dark version (2013-11-17)

Screenshots
    Before/After show the look before and after my mod.
    Settings01-03 show how to enable one-handed mode and the built-in tutorial for how to use it. See the FAQ post below for details.
    Slappy_G thanks for your efforts! Indeed it is a useful stuff! A great "pushing" thanks button!

Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out! Accessibility apps can wreak havoc with the bugs Samsung has on their Roms.

Thanx, works great. I started a thread with a link here on the tmobile note 3 forum to spread the word.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
    Can confirm functions perfectly on sprint 900p

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk