Can i use this charger with my r?

Search This thread

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
i have bought tablet few days ago and i got usb charger with it (i mean a charger with usb port at end)

that charger have output of 5v and 2000ma
stock samsung charger have output of 5v and 700ma so i thought that if i can use that charger maybe it will help to charge my phone very fast as it have output of 2000ma.

can i use that charger with my galaxy r? can it damage to my phone or it's battery?

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
i have bought tablet few days ago and i got usb charger with it (i mean a charger with usb port at end)

stock samsung charger have output of 5v and 700ma so i thought that if i can use that charger maybe it will help to charge my phone very fast as it have output of 2000ma.

can i use that charger with my galaxy r? can it damage to my phone or it's battery?

It would not be recommended as it may actually damage the battery or even the charging circuit which charges the battery in your R if it can't withstand the higher rate of charging. :)

Reactions: xlm13x

s4sixty

Apr 22, 2007
A higher amp output should be ok.
A higher voltage is the one you should be worried about.

s4sixty

Apr 22, 2007
Simple Guidelines When Buying a Charger

Use the correct charger for battery chemistry. Most chargers serve one chemistry only.

The battery voltage must agree with the charger. Do not charge if different.

Within reasons, the Ah rating of a battery can be higher or lower than specified. A larger battery will take longer to charge than a smaller one and vice versa.

The higher the amperage of the charger, the shorter the charge time will be. There are limitations as to how fast a battery can be charged.

Accurate charge termination and correct trickle charge prolong battery life.

When fully saturated, a lead acid charger should switch to a lower voltage; a nickel-based charger should have a trickle charge NiMH; a Li-ion charger provides no trickle charge.

Chargers should have a temperature override to end charge on a malfunctioning battery.

Observe the temperature of the charger and battery. Lead acid batteries stay cool during charge; nickel-based batteries elevate the temperature towards the end of charge and should cool down after charge; Li-ion batteries should stay cool throughout charge.

Souce : http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/all_about_chargers

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
One more reason why we should be extremely cautious when using other chargers is that when using the charger provided by Samsung I have observed that the charger cuts off the supply to the battery when the battery reaches 100 %.

It may not be the same when using other chargers which will lead to over charging the battery. This continuous over charging can reduce the life of the battery.

Lastly you can experiment as much as you want ( BTW that's why most people are on this forum ;) ) its your decision, but see to it that you are not damaging the battery or the handset in the process. :)

s4sixty

Apr 22, 2007
Its not the charger that cuts off power supply to the phone.
It's the memory chip inside the battery that supplies information to initiate the cut off.
That is why it's highly recommended to use original batteries in ur phone so that the phone will not burst into flames !!!

A Smart Charger, on the other hand, has a built in circuitry that does the cutting off and after that continues to trickle charger the batteries to maintain the charge on the batteries. U can usually see this for car chargers.
These chargers cost way more than ur average Samsung charger.

Cheers !

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
thanks for guys for giving your valuable opinions :)
today i thought i should give it a try :D
i used stock micro usb to usb cable to connect with that charger and plugged in but something weird happened

when i plugged in charger screen lights up with with notification tone as usual but touch screen stopped responding :confused:
both touch screen and touch sensitive buttons stopped working only home button was working after removing that charger all things started to work again normally :confused: really strange

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
when i plugged in charger screen lights up with with notification tone as usual but touch screen stopped responding :confused:
both touch screen and touch sensitive buttons stopped working only home button was working after removing that charger all things started to work again normally :confused: really strange

Don't use that one again buddy ! ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It would not be recommended as it may actually damage the battery or even the charging circuit which charges the battery in your R if it can't withstand the higher rate of charging. :)
    Simple Guidelines When Buying a Charger

Use the correct charger for battery chemistry. Most chargers serve one chemistry only.

The battery voltage must agree with the charger. Do not charge if different.

Within reasons, the Ah rating of a battery can be higher or lower than specified. A larger battery will take longer to charge than a smaller one and vice versa.

The higher the amperage of the charger, the shorter the charge time will be. There are limitations as to how fast a battery can be charged.

Accurate charge termination and correct trickle charge prolong battery life.

When fully saturated, a lead acid charger should switch to a lower voltage; a nickel-based charger should have a trickle charge NiMH; a Li-ion charger provides no trickle charge.

Chargers should have a temperature override to end charge on a malfunctioning battery.

Observe the temperature of the charger and battery. Lead acid batteries stay cool during charge; nickel-based batteries elevate the temperature towards the end of charge and should cool down after charge; Li-ion batteries should stay cool throughout charge.

Souce : http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/all_about_chargers
    One more reason why we should be extremely cautious when using other chargers is that when using the charger provided by Samsung I have observed that the charger cuts off the supply to the battery when the battery reaches 100 %.

It may not be the same when using other chargers which will lead to over charging the battery. This continuous over charging can reduce the life of the battery.

Lastly you can experiment as much as you want ( BTW that's why most people are on this forum ;) ) its your decision, but see to it that you are not damaging the battery or the handset in the process. :)
    Its not the charger that cuts off power supply to the phone.
    It's the memory chip inside the battery that supplies information to initiate the cut off.
    That is why it's highly recommended to use original batteries in ur phone so that the phone will not burst into flames !!!

A Smart Charger, on the other hand, has a built in circuitry that does the cutting off and after that continues to trickle charger the batteries to maintain the charge on the batteries. U can usually see this for car chargers.
    These chargers cost way more than ur average Samsung charger.

Cheers !