Is the Glass UNDER the Screen Protector Scratch Resistant?

Search This thread

jamespmi

Jan 22, 2012
The glass is scratch resistant, not the screen protector. It's just a plastic film...

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

Vaith

Feb 15, 2011
The glass is scratch resistant, not the screen protector. It's just a plastic film...

It's not just screen resistor. This "plastic film" keeps your phone screen in one piece if your phone fall. Taking of this "plastic film" void your warranty.

Screen should be scratch resistant as Sony said.

jamespmi

Jan 22, 2012
Good point. But... The warranty is lost anyway if I breack the glass...

raptuz

Jul 8, 2008
The warranty is irrelevant. We know as tested the screen is scratch resistant?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I got a nice scratch only a day or two after removing the ASF. It's not nearly as scratch resistant as the screen on my galaxy s3 or s4 or my glass-m protector for the Z1.

jamespmi

Jan 22, 2012
I got a nice scratch only a day or two after removing the ASF. It's not nearly as scratch resistant as the screen on my galaxy s3 or s4 or my glass-m protector for the Z1.

This is nonsense. There are tons of youtube videos proving the contrary.
This french video shows scratch and drop tests. Once the protector is pealed it's totally scratch resistant.
http://youtu.be/PkYlFne52yM?t=20m17s

Reactions: Rekoil

raptuz

Jul 8, 2008
I thought so to, that's why I didn't bother putting on a new protection when I removed the original one. I also watched the videos, and I still think it will do just fine against the blunt keys and coins.
I got the scratch from normal use, carrying it in my pocket, laying on the desk and in the car. And this is the only screen I've gotten any scratches on for the last two years... The Glass-M for the Z1 is the first protector I've ever put on a phone, because I never felt the need for one until now.

Minibull

Jan 14, 2014
I thought both panels of glass on the Z1 are DragonTrail glass? Seems like it's tough stuff.
I've seen a couple of scratch tests on youtube, and they both went very well. One used a scalpel as the final tool though, and IIRC that started to scratch it up.

I'd always leave the ASF film on the phone, and if it starts to get scratched up, I'd just pull it off and replace it with a new one. Keeps the glass in perfect condition, plus if the glass did shatter after a drop, you would be able to keep using the phone without risking cutting your fingers up. Makes sense to me...

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Talked with T-Mobile Tech support and specifically asked them if they know for sure the glass under the screen is scratch resistant. The rep I talked to said specifically he has seen were people have lifted the plastic and tested it and while it is not has good as Gorilla Glass, it is indeed scratch resistant.

Funny enough, I went to the Sony store and the guys there had no idea.

Top Liked Posts