HTC-S730

Search This thread

jockyw2001

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 17, 2007
Nice, the s730 SPL is MFG and has such commands like rtask, readconfig, writeconfig etc :)

bigflavor

Jan 15, 2007
nyc
does this dumped rom from a device with the gps enabled? if so, would it be possible to take that and compare it to the final rom, and turn the internal gps back on?

Can't wait for this thing.

Thanks,

Matt

charlie42

Oct 8, 2007
www.karelattl.cz
How is that with flashing s730 ROM to Vox? Is it possible? (sorry for newbie question, made some searches, but this is my first wm phone and i haven't yet much time to do some experiments with it:) )

jockyw2001

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 17, 2007
does this dumped rom from a device with the gps enabled? if so, would it be possible to take that and compare it to the final rom, and turn the internal gps back on?
Such a dump from a device with gps would have to include radio, bootloaders and configuration data. It will require a "SSPL" or "USPL" and some research to obtain all this, but it's certainly possible (provided the hw isn't crippled in the production models)

bigflavor

Jan 15, 2007
nyc
Alright... i've bought the device and expect it to arrive about 12 days.

Can someone verify that the rom dump uploaded is a rom dump with GPS?

Thanks!

Matt

dave rooney

Dec 12, 2007
hi guys, i got my htc s730 last week and all i can say is what a phone. its only major flaw is the speed of the interface. in regards to the GPS. i dont believe it has built in GPS but after i installed googlemaps it was able to pin point my location, however it looked like it was using a 3G connection to do this. i didn,t know this was possible but maybe you guys could shed some light on the situation

bigflavor

Jan 15, 2007
nyc
hi guys, i got my htc s730 last week and all i can say is what a phone. its only major flaw is the speed of the interface. in regards to the GPS. i dont believe it has built in GPS but after i installed googlemaps it was able to pin point my location, however it looked like it was using a 3G connection to do this. i didn,t know this was possible but maybe you guys could shed some light on the situation

http://www.google.com/mobile/gmm/mylocation/index.html

pretty rawesome!

snowmanappie

Dec 13, 2007
Memory leak/problem..

Someone mentioned it already in the other s730 topic: some people complain about the fact that they have too few memory available when the phone is on. Some say they have about 7-12 megabyte available when they haven't even started an non-standard application and the phone says some applications will have to be shut down when they try to start other applications. Also some say the memory a program uses does not 'come back' when they close the program via the task manager which points to a memory-leak problem.

The reply was it would be fixed in tweaked ROMs or officially new ROM's, ok that will be true, but is it a real problem now? Does anyone experiences this problem here too?

zebra333

Sep 7, 2007
Yes it's a major issue for me (at least).

I can't use the phone the way I used to use my vox and I need to make a choice between the application to run on the background.

More precisely I have to choose between having skype or IM+ (for MSN and AIM messenger) which is a real problem because obviously all my contacts are have different messenger account.

Hopefully a updated rom will take this in consideration and let more ram available for 3rd party applications.

paholman

Jun 12, 2007
I wouldn't hold your breath for an update soon from HTC. They've hardly got a good reputation for releasing ROM updates.

One example is the QTEK 8500 (StrTrk). Many U.S. customers (ok, they imported their handsets from UK) couldn't use the phone because of an idle/sleep issue. I don't even recall them ever fixing that handset, but Cingular released the 3125 which was the U.S. specific version of the 8500 many months later. Those US owners of the 8500 were left stranded.

I also don't recall seeing many VOX rom updates either from HTC, only ASIA versions.

The feedback on this HTC Wings/S730 handset within only 2 weeks of it's release indicates most, if not all, of the new owners disappointed with it, or crying out for a ROM update already, or a hardware hack to try and get GPS to work which would invalidate the warranty anyway.

I was undecided whether to get one myself before it's release, but since I've read all the 1st impressions on this forum I'm staying well clear. It seems it only offers 2 advantages over the VOX, slightly faster and 3G capability. Aside from that, I'd say the majority of VOX users who are currently overclocking their device wouldn't benefit much from an upgrade to the S730 unless they need actually need 3G for Video calls or data transfer.

Perhaps if a network provider adopted it and submitted some improvements, then I'll reconsider

Last edited: