Cracked Screen...plan of action?

Search This thread

daoliverio

Nov 22, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Hey y'all..

I dropped my phone and cracked the screen. It's one clean crack and doesn't seem to be speaking so it's not THAT big of a deal..just annoying.

So without going to sprint and talking about insurance and paying the money for all that.. What are my options?

Get a new screen and repair myself?
Is there a service that would do it for me if I sent it to them? Although that would leave me without a phone.

Any ideas?

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

Kraizk

Jul 30, 2011
American Canyon
Hey y'all..

I dropped my phone and cracked the screen. It's one clean crack and doesn't seem to be speaking so it's not THAT big of a deal..just annoying.

So without going to sprint and talking about insurance and paying the money for all that.. What are my options?

Get a new screen and repair myself?
Is there a service that would do it for me if I sent it to them? Although that would leave me without a phone.

Any ideas?

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+Teardown/13494

seriously its insurance or buy a new One.

jblaze10

Mar 23, 2012
Gold Canyon,Az
Google Pixel 4
actually I believe you can replace the digitizer alone. I just replaced the digitizer on a raxr maxx which doesn't even have an ifixit manual, because its thought to be impossible. on the razr they use a full sheet of adhesive to attach the lcd to the digitizer. All the htc phones I have opened use 1mm or 2mm strips around the edges. if you use a heat gun or possibly a hair dryer you should be able to pull the broken glass away from lcd. make sure to always pull away from phone, don't pry against lcd. My conclusion is that if you can buy the parts separate they can be replaced. haven't priced glass but bet its under $20 usd. and even if you damage the housing ive seen it listed for $35 usd. also buy a good spudger and some guitar picks work well. here is the kit I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHLVHVC/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. it will take time but better than buying new. also im not a phone tech, I have no training. Im not arguing with kraizk it is widely regarded as unrepairable so ultimately its your choice, good luck!

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I don't carry insurance either, it's a horrible ripoff. There is a thread around someone where breaking down the math of it, it's a pretty bad bet especially as the phone ages. I would buy one on eBay, it can be slightly used or even a new one will be cheaper than buying it at retail. I would stick with a top rated seller, I have learned over the years it's worth a little extra. Dealing with stupid sellers who claim good ESN's even though it's not a clean esn it's just a hassle to deal with. Once you get your new phone, your one with the cracked screen will have a clean ESN on it. Sell it as is on eBay with the clean esn. It will still have plenty of value. If you play your cards right there is no reason you can't keep your replacement cost at the same as the insurance deductible of $150 not to mention the fact you can pick what phone you get vs getting a refurb. You also aren't paying the monthly premium. That is how I would go about it if it was me because having a clean ESN will keep it's value up & it still works. Dump it as is or your going to be kicking yourself trying to repair it. Good Luck