need help with flashing roms to my phone

Search This thread

Silver5150

May 13, 2014
Hello Everyone,

Ok so not sure where to start, umm yesterday i decided to root my phone i have the HTC Desire C from Cricket wireless. I was successful at unlocking my bootloader and rooting the device. Now for some reason im unable to flash a custom rom or whatever to my device, not sure if im doing something wrong, but i must have screwed something up because i cant even perform a factory reset or a hard reset to the device at all, and the google play store no longer works and the sync icon never goes away. Now when i attempt to flash the custom rom the clockwork recovery tool wont allow me to do a full wipe which i believe must be completed before you can even install the roms.

any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Just unlocking and rooting the device should not affect how the Play Store works at all. That seems odd. What's the error? By the Clockwork recovery tool, are you referring to the Rom Manager or the actual ClockWorkMod recovery?

Reactions: Silver5150

Silver5150

May 13, 2014
Just unlocking and rooting the device should not affect how the Play Store works at all. That seems odd. What's the error? By the Clockwork recovery tool, are you referring to the Rom Manager or the actual ClockWorkMod recovery?

Actually you know what, I think i know what happened. when i was trying to flash the rom i also flashed the gapps for jelly bean into my phone which is running ice cream sandwich currently because the rom flashing failed. So basically i think the gapps apps are conflicting with the stock apps on the phone ? It seems like all the google apps are the only ones messing up and the google account sync is messing up also the google playstore and google plus crashes a lot so its only the google apps. so what do you think and how do i restore the phone ? I didnt make a back up recovery either. If someone could also just walk me through how to flash a custom rom like CyanogenMod i believe everything will probably fix its self (hopefully). oh and as for the Clockworkmod i think its the actual clockworkmod recovery the one with a black hat, i accessed it through bootloader recovery options, anyway it doesnt allow me to flash any custom roms ive tried like 3 so far and everytime it ask me for some update file or something about a update not sure.

Last edited:

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Yep, the other Google apps is what did it. You don't need to flash Gapps on a stock rom, only for ones like CM that don't come pre-installed. Well, first off, it's good to take note of what system version and baseband version you have, in case you need to find the files for later to reflash. As far as CM, well, you might want to check on how stable a version is for your phone. Often times less popular HTC CDMA phones don't have as good of support from CM. If you just find another stock rom and install it through CWM, you'll probably be fine. Just make sure to wipe everything suggested in the install guide for the rom you pick. Some devs and roms require a full wipe including /system and some do not. ProTip : Do a backup in CWM before ever wiping /system, even your system now which doesn't work right, because if you wipe the system and the rom you downloaded doesn't work, then you will be stuck with nothing to do and at that point would need to find the RUU from HTC to restore the phone back to stock.

FYI: If you unlocked via htcdev.com, this is not a full unlock and whenever you install a custom rom that has a different kernel than what is already on the phone, then you need to extract the boot.img from the rom.zip and install it via fastboot. You should get familiar with fastboot as it is very handy for reviving the phone in a worst case scenario.

Silver5150

May 13, 2014
Yep, the other Google apps is what did it. You don't need to flash Gapps on a stock rom, only for ones like CM that don't come pre-installed. Well, first off, it's good to take note of what system version and baseband version you have, in case you need to find the files for later to reflash. As far as CM, well, you might want to check on how stable a version is for your phone. Often times less popular HTC CDMA phones don't have as good of support from CM. If you just find another stock rom and install it through CWM, you'll probably be fine. Just make sure to wipe everything suggested in the install guide for the rom you pick. Some devs and roms require a full wipe including /system and some do not. ProTip : Do a backup in CWM before ever wiping /system, even your system now which doesn't work right, because if you wipe the system and the rom you downloaded doesn't work, then you will be stuck with nothing to do and at that point would need to find the RUU from HTC to restore the phone back to stock.

FYI: If you unlocked via htcdev.com, this is not a full unlock and whenever you install a custom rom that has a different kernel than what is already on the phone, then you need to extract the boot.img from the rom.zip and install it via fastboot. You should get familiar with fastboot as it is very handy for reviving the phone in a worst case scenario.

Ok Thanks for the reply, now as for the full wipe my CWM wont allow me to do this im only allowed to do a cache wipe and I believe this is why im unable to get a Rom working on my phone and this is getting very frustrating, the CWM is the latest version and TWRT wont even flash to my phone so that one doesnt work at all if you know of any others please let me know. Yesterday morning i soft bricked my phone and none of the roms are working because i believe i must perform a full wipe which i am unable to do at this time. oh and about unlocking my bootloader via htcdev.com and it not being a full unlock, do you suggest that may have something to do with the fact roms wont work on my phone and how do you do a full unlock ? oh and i tried to restore back to stock also thats not working either, I get a status 7 error when installing the roms and sometimes a status 6.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Ok Thanks for the reply, now as for the full wipe my CWM wont allow me to do this im only allowed to do a cache wipe and I believe this is why im unable to get a Rom working on my phone and this is getting very frustrating, the CWM is the latest version and TWRT wont even flash to my phone so that one doesnt work at all if you know of any others please let me know. Yesterday morning i soft bricked my phone and none of the roms are working because i believe i must perform a full wipe which i am unable to do at this time. oh and about unlocking my bootloader via htcdev.com and it not being a full unlock, do you suggest that may have something to do with the fact roms wont work on my phone and how do you do a full unlock ? oh and i tried to restore back to stock also thats not working either, I get a status 7 error when installing the roms and sometimes a status 6.

Are you sure you don't have the recovery from another version of the Desire C - GSM maybe? I still don't understand what you mean when you say you can factory reset. Why not? What is the error? And sounds like at this point you should just use the RUU to return to full stock and start over.

Silver5150

May 13, 2014
Are you sure you don't have the recovery from another version of the Desire C - GSM maybe? I still don't understand what you mean when you say you can factory reset. Why not? What is the error? And sounds like at this point you should just use the RUU to return to full stock and start over.

Ok not sure what the RUU is and how im suppose to use it to return to full stock, and correct i cant perform a factory reset in bootloader period, when i select factory reset it does nothing but reboot and say HTC "this build is for development purposes only do not distribute outside of htc without written permission. Failure to comply may lead to legal action." then it stays like that and nothing else happens period, not sure what im doing wrong but no worries im going to buy a new phone tomorrow and never use custom roms again, if i want a upgrade ill just go out and buy a new phone which i should have done in the first place, only thing ill be doing is rooting my devices for now on and nothing more thank you for your help.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Well, once you have a custom recovery, you don't factory reset from the bootloader screen, but via the recovery itself. That's one of the main reasons for the recovery - better options to wipe the phone as well as backing up, restoring, and flashing the custom stuff. Not saying you shouldn't buy another phone, but no reason to give up on this one. I just think it would require a bit more reading since you don't see very familiar with what to do with CWM after you installed it. Have you even booted INTO CWM?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.