*[Google UPDATE] [Q] [Play Store] Error 403, unique problem

Search This thread

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
Google says this issue is this: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/4430885
And there's pretty much nothing we or they can do but watch that page for updates.

My error 403 issue isn't like others that I have found from searching, allow me to explain...

I had two accounts on my device. One of the accounts had paid apps.

I have since abandoned that account, and installed numerous new ROMs on my phone, using only the other account as my now primary account

Now, the second account seems to think it has access to the paid apps that the other account purchased.

This means I can not download them, because it throws error 403 at me. Instead of showing "Purchase" as it should, it shows "Install".

This is even visible when I access the Play Store website from my computer, using only the second account.

See here:
kVPSnXm.png

Dz1kdDL.png

And please, do not suggest clearing my play store cache and all that crap, I have tried everything including going back to the stock firmware. The issue exists with my account on Googles end, but I have been back and forth emailing them for 3 weeks now, and it is like talking to a brick wall.

In short, what the frack can I do about this?
Please, if anyone has any real ideas or solutions to this I would be eternally greatful. I really don't want to have to make a whole new google account.

Last edited:

jomansch

Jul 30, 2008
Winterthur
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have the exact same problem... I also have 2 accounts and one has paid apps. I can't seem to download the paid apps but I could download anything else

Funny. But still can't get google to sort this. Anyone???

i have the same problem...two accounts, one with paid apps, cannot update the paid ones...
found this "solution": push the updates to the phone using the google-account of your computer (google - play - apps - myapps...)
only thing i found up to now that works...

Rei Zazie

May 27, 2013
Firstly, some problem for this can be done by checking Google Talk is already signed in or not.. ( I have tried)

Make sure your device is logged into Google Talk by following these steps:

1. Go to your device's app launcher, and press the Talk app.
2. If you’re already signed into Talk, press Menu, and then touch Sign out.
3. Launch Talk again to sign in.

Secondly, If the error still occurred, here's a brief explanation directly from Play Store:

Getting an error message on my device when downloading

There are a few reasons you may be getting a download error for only one app (or for a few select apps):

1. If the app in question is a paid app, sign in to wallet.google.com/manage to confirm that the purchase was successful. "Error 405"
usually indicates that the download failed because payment did not go through.
2. Check the size of the app - if it's larger than 25M, it may be too large for your device's cache partition. Even if you have enough space
free on your device, the cache partition may be preventing you from downloading large apps.
3. If you're getting "Error: Insufficient space," ensure that after downloading the app, you'll have at least 20M of internal storage space
free. If not, you may need to uninstall apps to free up space.

"Error: 495" usually indicates that there's an issue with your connection. Usually it's temporary, but if it persists, please let us know.

Finally, if the error still occurred after those two steps, directly contact Play Store Help via Mail conversation, it can be a long talk since they also 'super busy', you may be replied by google for several hours or even days. But they definitely helpful (My own Experience). :highfive:

IMPORTANT!
Note that you haven't made any change directly to your Market app in your system, because basically it disturb other gapps and may give you frustrating errors ( again, my own experience )

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
Firstly, some problem for this can be done by checking Google Talk is already signed in or not.. ( I have tried)

Secondly, If the error still occurred, here's a brief explanation directly from Play Store:

Finally, if the error still occurred after those two steps, directly contact Play Store Help via Mail conversation, it can be a long talk since they also 'super busy', you may be replied by google for several hours or even days. But they definitely helpful (My own Experience). :highfive:

IMPORTANT!
Note that you haven't made any change directly to your Market app in your system, because basically it disturb other gapps and may give you frustrating errors ( again, my own experience )

I'm getting the error on the play store website on my computer - as I said, it thinks my account has purchased these apps when it has not - I only have the option to Install them, and when I try, it gives the error in the screenshots in my first post.

I've had to change from some paid apps like titanium backup pro to the ROM Toolbox as an alternative, but I really need Swiftkey fixed.

I'm still talking to google via email.

Sandcrab

Jul 30, 2008
Same issue here

I've got the exact same issue on my account also. Google Play support is being no help at all. I've had a ticket open with them for 3 weeks now with 2 emails sent that whole time. I sent them a logcat today to see if they can figure out what is going on. If you get anywhere please post here so we can get this sorted out. It's blocked some of my "must-have" apps so I'm pretty upset about this.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

I've got the exact same issue on my account also. Google Play support is being no help at all. I've had a ticket open with them for 3 weeks now with 2 emails sent that whole time. I sent them a logcat today to see if they can figure out what is going on. If you get anywhere please post here so we can get this sorted out. It's blocked some of my "must-have" apps so I'm pretty upset about this.

So here's what I found out today after loading a new rom and playing around. I have been adding both of my google accounts when I first setup the new phone. When I do this, I get the 403 error on certain apps. What I ended up doing is clearing all accounts off the phone. Then loaded my original gmail account only. This is the account I originally bought all these apps from. I went ahead and turned off all sync options but I don't think this matters. With only that account setup on the phone, I was able to download and install all the apps. I then loaded my new account and synced everything fine.

Reactions: jaibar

ricey1986

Mar 6, 2009
Bolton
I'm getting the error on the play store website on my computer - as I said, it thinks my account has purchased these apps when it has not - I only have the option to Install them, and when I try, it gives the error in the screenshots in my first post.

I've had to change from some paid apps like titanium backup pro to the ROM Toolbox as an alternative, but I really need Swiftkey fixed.

I'm still talking to google via email.

Did you ever get this sorted?? I am getting this error with Tasker and cant download it, Google Play website is saying it is installed, but it is not.

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
Did you ever get this sorted?? I am getting this error with Tasker and cant download it, Google Play website is saying it is installed, but it is not.

Nope. The google support person I have been back and forth with this problem for weeks finally told me they would get back to me and have yet to do so. I think I'll send them another reply and ask what is happening with my issue.

It simply seems that they refuse to admit that the bug exists with my actual account and has nothing to do with my phone or anything. The fact that the bug exists on their play store website, accesssed from my computer, should be evidence enough (I even sent the requested screenshots).

So annoying. I can't update swiftkey or any other paid apps because of this.

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
Update:
I emailed again and asked for a progress report on my issue, and was told that it is a known issue and this is it: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/4430885

And there is nothing they can do, and that I should just keep an eye on that page for updates...

Hi Sunwind,
Your case is still currently under review by the Tier 3 team. I'm not sure how much longer it will be, and I do appreciate your patience thus far.
In the meantime, have you currently tried downloading Swiftkeys application from the Webstore, rather than from your device? You can ititiate the app to install on your device from your computer by signing into play.google.com with your account, navigating to my apps and initiating it to download that way.
I know it won't currently fix the error 403 code, but it might be a temporary work around it.
Thank you so much for you patience.
Sincerely,
Abigail
The Google Support Team

Sandcrab

Jul 30, 2008
Update:
I emailed again and asked for a progress report on my issue, and was told that it is a known issue and this is it: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/4430885

And there is nothing they can do, and that I should just keep an eye on that page for updates...

Guys, here's what I have found out and seems to have fixed this issue for me. When you open the Play Store on your phone it automagically logs you into your google account. What I didn't know is that you can switch logins to your other google account from within the app.

From the main Play Store screen, touch the Play Store menu button at the top left. This is where it says Play Store with an icon and three lines to the left of it. In the menu that pops up, it will show your username (email address) at the top. To the right of your username is a divider line with a small down arrow to the right.

If you click that down arrow it will show you your different accounts set up and you are able to select your other accounts.

What I did was change my account to my old one, and then I was able to download the apps fine. This has worked for every app that I was getting the 403 error on. Try to change accounts there and see if that doesn't fix your issue also.

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
Guys, here's what I have found out and seems to have fixed this issue for me. When you open the Play Store on your phone it automagically logs you into your google account. What I didn't know is that you can switch logins to your other google account from within the app.

From the main Play Store screen, touch the Play Store menu button at the top left. This is where it says Play Store with an icon and three lines to the left of it. In the menu that pops up, it will show your username (email address) at the top. To the right of your username is a divider line with a small down arrow to the right.

If you click that down arrow it will show you your different accounts set up and you are able to select your other accounts.

What I did was change my account to my old one, and then I was able to download the apps fine. This has worked for every app that I was getting the 403 error on. Try to change accounts there and see if that doesn't fix your issue also.

Yes, of course that 'fixes' it, because you are using the account that has access to the apps. This doesn't fix the problem with another account thinking it has access to paid apps from a previous account, when the previous account is no longer in use/signed in to the phone/etc. This is just a 'work-around' in order to get apps you previously paid for.

Sandcrab

Jul 30, 2008
Yes, of course that 'fixes' it, because you are using the account that has access to the apps. This doesn't fix the problem with another account thinking it has access to paid apps from a previous account, when the previous account is no longer in use/signed in to the phone/etc. This is just a 'work-around' in order to get apps you previously paid for.

Right. This will get the apps you've already purchased installed on your phone. I though that was the problem you were looking for a solution to.

I have the same problem with paid apps with my multiple google accounts but that was not my main concern. The problem was when it does not allow me to install apps that I have purchased. And realistically until google allows you to transfer apps to different accounts, I will have to keep my old account active. The only other option is to re-buy all my apps on the new account which I am not willing to do.

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
Right. This will get the apps you've already purchased installed on your phone. I though that was the problem you were looking for a solution to.

I have the same problem with paid apps with my multiple google accounts but that was not my main concern. The problem was when it does not allow me to install apps that I have purchased. And realistically until google allows you to transfer apps to different accounts, I will have to keep my old account active. The only other option is to re-buy all my apps on the new account which I am not willing to do.

The issue is detailed in full in the first post, and isn't what you thought it was.

X82X

Jan 12, 2011
This error has been driving me insane for months and there is no proper fix.
Problem:
I get an error 403 when downloading purchased apps off the play store.

Possible Cause:
I was using account A with my phone for years. I decided to get a new account and slowl migrate my stuff over.
I first added account B to my phone and used it for emails only, keeping account A for play store and youtube.
Eventually, I moved all my stuff over and used account B full time. But I noticed when trying to download purchased items, I would get the error.
It seems to me that account A "bled" over into B. So B thinks it has purchased apps when it was A.

Steps to rectify issue:

I've done the usual, clearing caches, removing/re-adding accounts. I know it's not the phone because I've had 3 different phones since this happened. When I got my HTC One, I added account B out the box and the error still happened.
I've had to contact Google support with my issue. I have also had to jump through their hoops in regards to checking things out, but I said to them, if they want to reset account B so it shows I have bought nothing, I don't mind. At least it would work and I don't mind supporting the devs again.

Currently it has been 3 months since contacting Google and the last update was on the 1st of Jan was:

Thanks for writing back and for providing details about the issue you’re having on Google Play. We really appreciate you taking the time to report this - based on the information you sent along, it appears you’re experiencing issue #11112915 from our known issues page, which is characterized by:

- Errors during the download of paid apps from the Play Store
- Download issues occurring with paid apps that were never purchased on Play Store or purchased using the Google Account exhibiting issues
- Download issues occurring on a rooted device or with an account that was previously used on a rooted device

We’re currently investigating a more permanent solution, but in the meantime you can try using a new Google Account with your device.
Yeah, I'm not going to make a new account for this issue, sorry Google.

Link to support ticket here.

Also, checking your wallet here, confirms my issue. Doggcatcher, which Play Store says I have purchased, I have not. For me, this isn't a phone issue. Clearing settings will do nothing. The issue is 100% Google, at least for me.

Nothing I can do now but wait for Google to sort it out.

Reactions: paradoxiumwind

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google says this issue is this: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/4430885
    And there's pretty much nothing we or they can do but watch that page for updates.

My error 403 issue isn't like others that I have found from searching, allow me to explain...

I had two accounts on my device. One of the accounts had paid apps.

I have since abandoned that account, and installed numerous new ROMs on my phone, using only the other account as my now primary account

Now, the second account seems to think it has access to the paid apps that the other account purchased.

This means I can not download them, because it throws error 403 at me. Instead of showing "Purchase" as it should, it shows "Install".

This is even visible when I access the Play Store website from my computer, using only the second account.

See here:
    kVPSnXm.png

Dz1kdDL.png

And please, do not suggest clearing my play store cache and all that crap, I have tried everything including going back to the stock firmware. The issue exists with my account on Googles end, but I have been back and forth emailing them for 3 weeks now, and it is like talking to a brick wall.

In short, what the frack can I do about this?
    Please, if anyone has any real ideas or solutions to this I would be eternally greatful. I really don't want to have to make a whole new google account.
    Situation at last

Finally found a complete solution to my 403 error. I used titanium backup to destroy all market links, did not repair, and it worked immediately.
    Same issue here

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

So here's what I found out today after loading a new rom and playing around. I have been adding both of my google accounts when I first setup the new phone. When I do this, I get the 403 error on certain apps. What I ended up doing is clearing all accounts off the phone. Then loaded my original gmail account only. This is the account I originally bought all these apps from. I went ahead and turned off all sync options but I don't think this matters. With only that account setup on the phone, I was able to download and install all the apps. I then loaded my new account and synced everything fine.
    This error has been driving me insane for months and there is no proper fix.
    Problem:
    I get an error 403 when downloading purchased apps off the play store.

Possible Cause:
    I was using account A with my phone for years. I decided to get a new account and slowl migrate my stuff over.
    I first added account B to my phone and used it for emails only, keeping account A for play store and youtube.
    Eventually, I moved all my stuff over and used account B full time. But I noticed when trying to download purchased items, I would get the error.
    It seems to me that account A "bled" over into B. So B thinks it has purchased apps when it was A.

Steps to rectify issue:

I've done the usual, clearing caches, removing/re-adding accounts. I know it's not the phone because I've had 3 different phones since this happened. When I got my HTC One, I added account B out the box and the error still happened.
    I've had to contact Google support with my issue. I have also had to jump through their hoops in regards to checking things out, but I said to them, if they want to reset account B so it shows I have bought nothing, I don't mind. At least it would work and I don't mind supporting the devs again.

Currently it has been 3 months since contacting Google and the last update was on the 1st of Jan was:

Thanks for writing back and for providing details about the issue you’re having on Google Play. We really appreciate you taking the time to report this - based on the information you sent along, it appears you’re experiencing issue #11112915 from our known issues page, which is characterized by:

- Errors during the download of paid apps from the Play Store
    - Download issues occurring with paid apps that were never purchased on Play Store or purchased using the Google Account exhibiting issues
    - Download issues occurring on a rooted device or with an account that was previously used on a rooted device

We’re currently investigating a more permanent solution, but in the meantime you can try using a new Google Account with your device.
    Yeah, I'm not going to make a new account for this issue, sorry Google.

Link to support ticket here.

Also, checking your wallet here, confirms my issue. Doggcatcher, which Play Store says I have purchased, I have not. For me, this isn't a phone issue. Clearing settings will do nothing. The issue is 100% Google, at least for me.

Nothing I can do now but wait for Google to sort it out.
    Removing the account and re-adding didn't help me; but installing from the desktop Play store helped.
    Doubt I'll be able to update from the phone, but hopefully the website will be able to do it.