[Q] Help with Rooting and/or a custom ROM

Search This thread

Ben Folds

Mar 8, 2014
The Island
I have been researching this for several hours and have read several different ways to do this. I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I would like to root my HTC Inspire, or flash a Jelly Bean type ROM, the later would be preferred. I somewhat understand the steps: rooting, then possible S-off (which some say yes and some say no for flashing new ROM), then some type of recovery app, and finally the new ROM. Then I have also read that some ROMs do the rooting and unlocking for me. My confusion in the steps are more because of reading so many different ways that I'm turning to the experts here, hoping someone is tired of answering the same old questions. I have looked all over XDA, but the all inclusive steps seem to include outdated techniques.

This is what I have understood so far:

1) A hacking tool used to be available for rooting and now isn't
2) The Ace tool was then used, but I read that it isn't supported and may not work.
3) Official CM roms for the Inspire are only for Gingerbread replacement, which I have now so why replace it with that rom.
4) Other roms seem to be Jelly Bean type upgrades, but I'm not sure which one would be the best. Or if I need to root and unlock first before flashing it.
5) Possibly, maybe not, I would need to revert back to factory version (froyo) before doing anything.

Questions:
So, now rooting is done how? (if I wanted to only have root access but keep Gingerbread)

Is there a stable Jelly Bean rom that includes rooting and unlocking?

My Inspire came with Froyo and was upgraded OTA to Gingerbread, do I need to factory reset before doing any of these things?

(probably a stupid question to you guys, but....) I like customizing my phone, if I were to flash a Jelly Bean type rom, would that be the operating system version my phone would be, like when getting apps that require that version and above?

How does HTC Sense factor into all this?

Thanking you in advance for your patience! :fingers-crossed:

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Need help?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Being root is not what is important. S off is with an unlocked bootloader. An unlocked bootloader gives u the opportunity to flash custom roms

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

If u need my help let me know. :/

Ben Folds

Mar 8, 2014
The Island
Need help?

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Being root is not what is important. S off is with an unlocked bootloader. An unlocked bootloader gives u the opportunity to flash custom roms

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

If u need my help let me know. :/

Thanks so much for responding! If I follow the instructions here, and then find a rom I'd like to use?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2133336

This says it is for stock devices only. Mine has a Gingerbread update from Froyo.

What if I just wanted to root if I can't find a reliable rom to use. There are so many different sources for that without clear instructions.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Just follow glevitans instructions..then gain s off and flash a jb rom

Ben Folds

Mar 8, 2014
The Island
Ok. But, what if I just want to have root access without a custom rom. Like I was saying, the custom rom for Jelly Bean would be great if I could find a reliable one. But, in the meantime I'd like to root in order to get rid of all the bloatware that is consuming internal memory and battery.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I hear ya. Sometimes staying stock after rooting is a good idea. After a cpl yrs flashing roms, I wish I would have. My devices performance slowed down.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

I would suggest u unlock bootloader and gain s off. Or just unlock bootloader and keep s on. It's all a matter of preference.

Ben Folds

Mar 8, 2014
The Island
I guess I'm missing something here, I thought rooting and unlocking were two different things. Unlocking would be preparing the phone for a Rom (along with root), which unless I find one, I won't do that. And then rooting can be done without unlocking or flashing a new Rom, but I'll have a few more performance tweaking options just with that. It seems the few tools used for rooting are either unavailable or sketchy to use. That's all I want right now, is to root the phone, unless you can suggest a reliable rom. I'd rather not unlock for no reason since this is my first time.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I will post a Rom. Hold on. :)

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

U have to unlock bootloader dude to gain root. I am trying to tell u that

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Flash mokee by cedarctic

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Flashing_Guide_-_Android

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

And check this out

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38571636

Ben Folds

Mar 8, 2014
The Island
This is what I was trying to say earlier about conflicting information on the internet, which the experts in these forums recommend we do first before bothering you. And people are using different terms that mean the same thing.

Lifehacker article said,"Unlocking your bootloader doesn't root your phone directly, but does allow you to root/and or flash custom roms."

That's why I kept asking the question. Some of us aren't stupid, just trying to learn based on the information provided.

This is what I have understood so far based on what you're saying?

1) unlock bootloader (found link for that)
2) s- on or off (how? To turn s-off)
3) root (still nothing on that step as far as the how to)

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Not saying ur stupid. Just want u to read the threads I posted so u are familiar with the root process

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Unlock your bootloader and leave your device s on. U will have to flash a Rom via fastboot.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Or u can unlock bl and install superuser

Ben Folds

Mar 8, 2014
The Island
I have thoroughly read all the links you provided and greatly appreciate your patience. But, in the first I asked about, with the HTC Unlocking tool, you said to use that. But, you also gave me a link to the Easy Ace Root Tool. Both have clear sets of instructions.

If I use either, after the process is done, will my gingerbread still be in tact in order for me to download the Superuser app you mentioned? I have seen it before, but requires root access.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I gave u both of those links for u to make a choice about how u might wanna go about rooting your inspire. I used the aahk years ago. Lol

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 AM ----------

When I did my inspire, I had to make a gold card,unlock my boot loader ,super cid it ,flash recovery and then root it. Idk if your gb will still be in tact. I had to go from froyo to gb when I originally rooted mine.

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

There is a member that is truly proficient in your predictament...gizmoe..look under his signature for help rooting this device. He will gladly help u. U could p.m him, but let him know that I referred him to u

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

He will need all your bootloader details. Could u plz list them on here as well so I can see? All the info on your bootloader..

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

Mine are...unlocked...supercid...s off..hboot 2.00 ..radio version...etc etc

Reactions: Ben Folds

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
A thank u button press would be nice. Haha :))

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

Ben Folds

Mar 8, 2014
The Island
I was going to thank you when all was said and done, and have along the way. I've just been a little busy since I last commented.

Before you mentioned it, I did find and read a lot about the AAHK, but like a couple of other tools, it is currently unsupported. I'm late to the game with trying to get this phone rooted. But, I was considering trying it due to its dummy proof method and excellent manual and instructions.

But, came across a few conflicting pieces of info with it. One said no on using with Gingerbread, as it would mess up my bootloader, but another said yes as long as it was shipped with Froyo and upgraded to GB. The only conflict with bootloader spec was those that were less than 2.00.0029, whereas mine is 2.00.0030. I don't know enough about all that. Other than that, my device wasn't listed in the manual as being one that would needed to be downgraded first. And I should possibly use the recovery program with touch (forgot the name) instead of the one it comes with (in case I do decide to flash a new rom).

My device details are:

HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)

Android: 2.3.5 (shipped Froyo, OTA update to Gingerbread)

Sense: 3.0 (OTA upgrade from ?)

Software Version: 3.20.502.52 710RD

Bootloader: 2.00.0030

SDK Version: 10

I'll definitely pm Gizmoe, I appreciate you referring me to him. I'm thoroughly trying to research all this stuff before trying anything so I can get a better idea of what to do if something happens in the process.

I'm kinda leaning toward the aahk because of the s-off feature. I probably won't ever mess with the radio, but I did read that s-off is needed if I want to flash a ported rom. I've honestly not done a lot of research with roms yet, baby steps.

To my understanding, and I'm probably wrong, a ported rom would be something other than CM's? CM only has a GB version for my device, where some other developers have Jelly Bean versions. I guess I figured what's the point in using a CM rom that's the same version I currently have. (Assuming I don't have to downgrade to Froyo in order to root, or anything happens to my current GB). But, roms are a whole other step.

Gizmoe

@Ben Folds. Here is the two options I would recommend. One is to HTC dev unlock and then Fastboot flash a custom recovery. With this configuration You will be unlocked with custom recovery but still s on. You will be able to flash whatever Rom you want. However recovery can not write to the boot partition without s off. So for every Rom you flash you will have to unzip the file, pull the boot.img and use Fastboot to manually flash it on top of also flashing the custom Rom via recovery. Its really not that big of a deal. You just can not use a PD98IMG. Second you could obtain s off via the advanced method laid out by attn1(original author of aahk). It does require some knowledge of Fastboot commands and other basic Linux terminology. With s off though recovery can write to boot so only recovery needs to be used to flash a Rom, boot.img and all. Also you would be able to use a PD98IMG to install pretty much anything. So unless you really want s off for radios and don't mind taking two steps to flash a Rom HTC dev unlock should be just fine.

Last edited:

Ben Folds

Mar 8, 2014
The Island
Thank you, Gizmoe, for your time. That makes sense. Just a couple questions.

Glevian has that one tool that is supposed to make htcdev process easier, is that ok to use?

Are there any specs on my device that would make it so I couldn't use the aahk?

If I choose not to flash a rom, will the htcdev unlocking method give me root access in order to use something like Titanium to get rid of bloatware?

I guess I was hoping to find a method that wouldn't wipe my phone but still gave me root privileges. And leave open the option for a custom rom if I find one. I guess it's still stuck in my head that I need s-off to get a jelly bean rom.

Gizmoe

Glevian has that one tool that is supposed to make htcdev process easier, is that ok to use?

If I choose not to flash a rom, will the htcdev unlocking method give me root access in order to use something like Titanium to get rid of bloatware?

I guess I was hoping to find a method that wouldn't wipe my phone but still gave me root privileges. And leave open the option for a custom rom if I find one. I guess it's still stuck in my head that I need s-off to get a jelly bean rom.

I have not used Glevitans tool but he is knowledgable so im sure its sound. HTC Dev is pretty easy though. You just make an HTC Dev account. Follow the instructions on HTC website for the DHD. You submit your token output and they email you an unlock token along with further instructions. Then with an unlocked bootloader you fastboot flash a custom recovery. Then download supersu.zip from chainfires thread and flash it via recovery and you will have root. Pretty much all methods of unlocking/s-off will wipe your device except maybe the aahk. But even then things can get wiped or a Factory Reset will be needed to make things run properly. You do have the newest hboot though if you are on 3.20.502.52 which you will need to do a special method along with the advanced procedure I linked for s-off. That process will require you to HTC Dev unlock, flash cwm from the provided tools for method and root. Then fastboot flashing an unsecure boot.img from the instructions further down on same page about 3.20.502.52. So i guess either way you are gonna need to wipe to do anything. As far as needing s off to flash a jb custom rom thats not true. Just like there is a lot of good info on these forums there is also a bunch of misinformation by users that dont know much and make assumptions by thier inability to figure things out and start rumors. as long as you fastboot flash the boot.img of the rom you use things will work.

Last edited:

Ben Folds

Mar 8, 2014
The Island
Gizmoe, you have absolutely been a tremendous help, I can't thank you enough.

I'll go the htcdev route like you explained. If I don't need to worry about s-off then I won't. It sounds like the best route is finding a Rom to flash because afterwards I'll be back to stock Froyo after the wipe?? I'm so glad you verified that I can use whatever rom regardless of s status.

Just so I'm completely clear (sorry):

1) get the superuser.zip on my sd card ready
2) follow the steps on htcdev
3) use the cwm
4) flash superus.zip
5) fastboot flash a boot image from whatever rom I'm choosing
6) flash the new rom

I think I was getting confused as far as "root" thinking it was a step. The Superuser app said you need root to use, but then kept reading that it gives you root.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I told ya..gizmoe rocks. :)

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Pretty much all u need is an unlocked bootloader. With that, tons of opportunities await u. If I would have known more than I know now, I would've stayed s on and just flashed via fastboot. Maybe that way I would've learned than actually taking shortcuts. Lol

Gizmoe

I'll go the htcdev route like you explained. If I don't need to worry about s-off then I won't. It sounds like the best route is finding a Rom to flash because afterwards I'll be back to stock Froyo after the wipe?? I'm so glad you verified that I can use whatever rom regardless of s status.

3) use the cwm
4) flash superus.zip
6) flash the new rom

I think I was getting confused as far as "root" thinking it was a step. The Superuser app said you need root to use, but then kept reading that it gives you root.

Yes those steps will work. Root is an exploit within the system file of a Rom so if you are going to flash a Rom that has root(which all custom ones do) you don't need to flash the supersu.zip in recovery. If you want to root a stock Rom you would use supersu.zip in recovery and then update or install supersu.apk from play store as well. Supersu.apk needs some files in system before it can work which recovery can install when you have unlock and or s-off. I know the terminology can get confusing. Root gets misused to explain unlocked or s-off, which it is neither.

Reactions: Ben Folds

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Ben Folds. Here is the two options I would recommend. One is to HTC dev unlock and then Fastboot flash a custom recovery. With this configuration You will be unlocked with custom recovery but still s on. You will be able to flash whatever Rom you want. However recovery can not write to the boot partition without s off. So for every Rom you flash you will have to unzip the file, pull the boot.img and use Fastboot to manually flash it on top of also flashing the custom Rom via recovery. Its really not that big of a deal. You just can not use a PD98IMG. Second you could obtain s off via the advanced method laid out by attn1(original author of aahk). It does require some knowledge of Fastboot commands and other basic Linux terminology. With s off though recovery can write to boot so only recovery needs to be used to flash a Rom, boot.img and all. Also you would be able to use a PD98IMG to install pretty much anything. So unless you really want s off for radios and don't mind taking two steps to flash a Rom HTC dev unlock should be just fine.

I have not used Glevitans tool but he is knowledgable so im sure its sound. HTC Dev is pretty easy though. You just make an HTC Dev account. Follow the instructions on HTC website for the DHD. You submit your token output and they email you an unlock token along with further instructions. Then with an unlocked bootloader you fastboot flash a custom recovery. Then download supersu.zip from chainfires thread and flash it via recovery and you will have root. Pretty much all methods of unlocking/s-off will wipe your device except maybe the aahk. But even then things can get wiped or a Factory Reset will be needed to make things run properly. You do have the newest hboot though if you are on 3.20.502.52 which you will need to do a special method along with the advanced procedure I linked for s-off. That process will require you to HTC Dev unlock, flash cwm from the provided tools for method and root. Then fastboot flashing an unsecure boot.img from the instructions further down on same page about 3.20.502.52. So i guess either way you are gonna need to wipe to do anything. As far as needing s off to flash a jb custom rom thats not true. Just like there is a lot of good info on these forums there is also a bunch of misinformation by users that dont know much and make assumptions by thier inability to figure things out and start rumors. as long as you fastboot flash the boot.img of the rom you use things will work.
    I gave u both of those links for u to make a choice about how u might wanna go about rooting your inspire. I used the aahk years ago. Lol

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 AM ----------

When I did my inspire, I had to make a gold card,unlock my boot loader ,super cid it ,flash recovery and then root it. Idk if your gb will still be in tact. I had to go from froyo to gb when I originally rooted mine.

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

There is a member that is truly proficient in your predictament...gizmoe..look under his signature for help rooting this device. He will gladly help u. U could p.m him, but let him know that I referred him to u

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

He will need all your bootloader details. Could u plz list them on here as well so I can see? All the info on your bootloader..

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

Mine are...unlocked...supercid...s off..hboot 2.00 ..radio version...etc etc

3) use the cwm
    4) flash superus.zip
    6) flash the new rom

Yes those steps will work. Root is an exploit within the system file of a Rom so if you are going to flash a Rom that has root(which all custom ones do) you don't need to flash the supersu.zip in recovery. If you want to root a stock Rom you would use supersu.zip in recovery and then update or install supersu.apk from play store as well. Supersu.apk needs some files in system before it can work which recovery can install when you have unlock and or s-off. I know the terminology can get confusing. Root gets misused to explain unlocked or s-off, which it is neither.