[Q] System_server: Excessive CPU usage & battery drain

Search This thread

mocklee

Jan 23, 2011
Hey guys,

I've really liked this phone - until a few weeks ago.

I had the fated sudden decline in battery life. BetterBatteryStats has been on my phone for a while, so I opened it up and checked what usually kills battery on Android: the wakelocks.
It seemed totally normal!
Then, I checked processes. (These are today's stats, still just as bad)

Screenshot_2014_08_25_22_23_49.png

system_server?

I noticed my phone was getting warmer whenever I was actively using it right under the camera, I guess which is where the SoC is. It's also been getting noticeably laggier.

Also today, under the battery usage in the settings:

Screenshot_2014_08_25_22_23_49.png

Android OS and Android System are using twice as much battery as the screen.

This is pissing me the hell off. My phone drains perfectly acceptable battery when it's asleep, but take it out to use it and suddenly it's draining over 20% an hour. The extremely vague and obscure nature of the process doesn't help either. What does system_server even do?

I'm running Tweaked, and I've been alternating between ColonelX and Lean with no difference in battery.

I've also dirty flashed (really don't want to factory reset) to the NF4 Tweaked 3.5 beta. Only difference here is less lag.

As for bootloader, radio, and all that stuff, it's NF4 as well.

Nearly all Samsung bloatware is frozen in Titanium Backup, and all other troublesome apps have been greenified.

Attached is a log from BetterBatteryStats.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(I'm typing this on my phone, and battery had drained over 10% since I started writing this post.)

Attachments

• BetterBatteryStats-2014-08-25_222410901.txt
    12.5 KB · Views: 55

jasonchen

Sep 18, 2008
Sydney
I had exactly the same issue since I upgraded my note 3 to Lollipop. It was fine when the phone was in sleep. But when using it, it drained the battery super fast...
system_server consumed lots of CPU resource at most time.