“Answered but not Perfected” Getting the Droid 2 Global to work on USA GSM

What network will you use your Droid 2 Global with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

swangotp

Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh
I was at at&t and we where unable to activate the phone even though the phone is capable. At&t said everything was good on there end but the phone just wont get a signal but it says it is on at&t.
Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

Last edited:

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
I was at at&t and we where unable to activate the phone even though the phone is capable. At&t said everything was good on there end but the phone just wont get a signal but it says it is on at&t.
Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?
Quite a few people (including myself) on various boards have acknowledged having this problem as well. I got the SIM unlock code from Verizon but when I do a GSM network scan, nothing is detected. I know it has been escalated above level 2 support at Motorola and hopefully they will address it shortly. Here's another thread about it over on droidforums: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/96596-droid-2-global-unlock-foreign-sim.html

swangotp

Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hope its a fixable problem. But I noticed when I use an active tmob sim the phone doesnt even say tmobile. But when I use an at&t sim it atleasts says at&t.

Last edited:

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
I'm very interested (as I'm sure many others are) in a resolution to this. OP did you call VZW global support and let them know you're having this problem? Hopefully the more they hear about it, the faster they'll have a fix

swangotp

Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm very interested (as I'm sure many others are) in a resolution to this. OP did you call VZW global support and let them know you're having this problem? Hopefully the more they hear about it, the faster they'll have a fix

They where no help at all they said it was for foreign sim cards only and that at&t and tmobile where not supported. But they did say verizon was better than both of them combined.

IslesFan

May 18, 2006
If you feel like experimenting try this:
Go to dialpad, and enter *#*#4636#*#*

Click on Phone Information, and then scroll down to bottom. Set preferred network type from "CDMA auto(PRL)" to "WCDMA preferred" and see if that kicks it on ATT.

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
I'm 99.9% sure after looking through the user guide that VZW has restricted use of the 850/1900 MHz GSM/UMTS bands, even though the device has the hardware to support them. Most foreign networks use 900/1800 GSM and 2100 UMTS but AT&T/T-Mobile use 850/1900, which is why no one has had any success with them yet.

Hopefully someone can figure out a workaround.

EDIT: Just a US GSM restriction...looks like 850/1900 work abroad: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...d2-global-south-america-first-impression.html

Last edited:

swangotp

Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh
If you feel like experimenting try this:
Go to dialpad, and enter *#*#4636#*#*

Click on Phone Information, and then scroll down to bottom. Set preferred network type from "CDMA auto(PRL)" to "WCDMA preferred" and see if that kicks it on ATT.

These where the results I got, so clearly it is getting seeing the network. Just not connecting.

swangotp

Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just got off the phone with Motorola and they said the droid 2 global was only for verizon sim cards and when I told them about the unlock code the guy didn't know what they where for. So another dead end. Another theory I have is that the stock verizon rom is blocking at&t so maybe if someone can flash another rom we can see if this is the problem.

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
Further proof the 850/1900 bands are locked: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57058/p/30,6720,7706

"GSM-based global services work only with a SIM card supplied by Verizon Wireless® or by another GSM 900 or GSM 1800 service provider. When you set your phone to use a GSM 900 or GSM 1800 network you may be prompted to enter a subsidy code. To get this code, contact Verizon Wireless."

EDIT: Looks like they're just locked in the US, not abroad: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...d2-global-south-america-first-impression.html

Last edited:

swangotp

Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh
Further proof the 850/1900 bands are locked: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57058/p/30,6720,7706

"GSM-based global services work only with a SIM card supplied by Verizon Wireless® or by another GSM 900 or GSM 1800 service provider. When you set your phone to use a GSM 900 or GSM 1800 network you may be prompted to enter a subsidy code. To get this code, contact Verizon Wireless."

If this is true why would they say it has the 850 and 1900 bands? I know its not a hardware problem, so if its a software problem there is a chance we can have a workaround. Or the locked bands might be because of the verizon rom.

swangotp

Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh
I was able to put a new rom on my Droid 2 Global and although the rom was working since it was for a droid 2 the radio was not working properly. I was not able to force turn it on. I still have several more things I will try tonight.

firebrain

Jan 20, 2008
This has been done before on Windows Mobile phones (CDMA HTC Touch Pro 2) and requires a radio reflash since the bands are locked in the radio firmware. I am hoping they will develop a solution for Android phones. http://rhodiumw.htc-unlocks.com/

Being that this the 1st CDMA/GSM (Tie if you count Droid Pro) Android device I would wait and see.

Last edited:

swangotp

Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh
As from what I learned from previous devices the Droid 2 Global Verizon has a security locked radio. I have seen people unlock the radios from windows mobile phones, it is as easy as installing a .zip file that will unlock the security. I believe it is the same way with the Droid 2 Global. I will try to get this working but I don’t have much knowledge in the development field. But I do know you will have to be rooted. I have also spoke with a friend at Verizon, which claims that they did indeed lock the radios and there is a workaround. He said he was not familiar with this workaround but said it was close to the problem with the windows mobile security locked devices. I am calling this the official reason the phone wont work with US networks. This makes sense, and now that we found the problem it shouldn’t be long before we find a way around it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's too bad that a certain group decided to be greedy on this. I can understand charging that much if there was a guarantee of it working, but the secret should have been released for free with a disclaimer that they weren't responsible if you messed up your phone. I would even be happy to pay the $3 that they charge for their app in order to get access to the necessary files (which I find kind of off-putting, as well, since it kind of forces a donation, in a way).

Hopefully we'll see a free leak at some point, so those that are willing to take the risks themselves are free to do so.